#1 ChefDavid22

ChefDavid22

No, YOU shut up!

• GMC Member
  • 1193 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

Zombie Skeet

- Game designed by my eight year old son - for kids. Would like feedback.
- Only thing left to add is sound, music, and tie in to online score board.
- To be released on android devices first so if it looks skewed on your large windows monitor it's ok.

Demo: Download

Screen shots:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

EDIT: Original idea came from my son - used Fluidic Ices' Gravity Fruit example as a start template.

Edited by ChefDavid22, 24 April 2012 - 01:49 AM.

#2 fluidic ice

fluidic ice

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 812 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

I like the feel of this game, and the crisp graphics are pleasant to look at even for extended periods. I found it a bit too easy, but then again i'm used to playing fps games and could easily pick off 4 in a row before they've even made it half way up the screen. Also i'm assuming the games demographic is between 7-16, if so, you've hit the mark perfectly and this will be both fun and addictive for that age group. I did feel that that mouse was a bit sluggish at times, mainly due to being used to 100% accuracy, and there's not much that can be done about this in game maker.

It's simple and effective but from what I've played there could have been special targets you can shoot at, such as a zombies face following the path of the roller-coaster in the background on the ferris wheel etc. (Not sure if that's already incorporated as I didn't have long to play it). The levels were a little long in my opinion, I would have liked 1 minute instead of 2, mainly because of the repetitiveness of the game. Boosts would have been an awesome addition as well, such as one that slows down time and other that change the weapon type etc. But it's a great little game with very sharp graphics with a low learning curve.

(Sorry if this is a long post lol, i'm used to reviewing games in 1000+ words =p)

Edited by fluidic ice, 23 April 2012 - 12:49 PM.

#3 ChefDavid22

ChefDavid22

No, YOU shut up!

• GMC Member
  • 1193 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

Added an edit above giving you credit for the initial template start.

No need to be sorry. I want lots of feedback, pros, cons, ideas, etc.

Yes the demographic is for younger 6-12 year old. The final version will not be windows based so the mouse issue making it too easy will hopefully sort itself out. Plus in the windows version you can just hold down your mouse and take them all out. I didnt code in a force mouse button release since I dont plan to have a windows version anytime soon.

Love the idea of special targets. I am going to start working on that for the next version. In my latest version I reduced the round time to 1.5 minutes because I also felt the same way you did that 2 minutes is too long. Edit: Later tonight I will upload that version. So anyone seeing 2 minute rounds you are welcome to redownload it after today.

I plan to add other things as you already suggested, also I plan to add things you dont want to shoot because they take away lives etc.

The longer you play, the faster and more chaotic the game gets. That was a way for me to break up the repetitiveness.

Great feedback man. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Edited by ChefDavid22, 23 April 2012 - 03:03 PM.

#4 ZeplashStudios

ZeplashStudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 126 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

mMM,

nice fun game but still has a lot of tweaks to be added.
here's a list:
1. change the transparency of the crosshair -> it get's lost when there's a lot of zombies
2. animate the carnival for atmosphere
3. make the text sounds hang longer
4.change the left mouse button to left mouse pressed else you can just hold the lmb and drag it accross the screen to kill (cheat)
5.change the shooting sounds
6.ackground music?
7.the accuracy system clashes with the lives. imo
8.deactivate save and load (cheat)
9.add a reload function (else you can still cheat)
10. wider variety of zombies needed.
11. bonusses perhaps?
12.achievements?
13.unlockables
14.cutscenes?

anyhow very nice love the smooth graphics. did you draw them?
if you're looking for a programmer, contact me via pm, i'd be glad to help you for free of course, all i require is just credit.

6/10

-ZeplashStudios

EDIT: oh i see you want this game to be on android, well then 1 and 4 isn't neccecary. oh and the reload thing, it's almost like the arcade games where u point ur gun downwards, for this u press mouse and drag down. or touch screen and drag down.

Edited by ZeplashStudios, 23 April 2012 - 01:20 PM.

#5 ChefDavid22

ChefDavid22

No, YOU shut up!

• GMC Member
  • 1193 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

My responses are in Yellow

1. change the transparency of the crosshair -> it get's lost when there's a lot of zombies
-- Cross hairs will be removed. I just added those for my personal pleasure while testing on windows.
2. animate the carnival for atmosphere
-- Will take a look - was worried the game would have too much animation if I did that.
4.change the left mouse button to left mouse pressed else you can just hold the lmb and drag it accross the screen to kill (cheat)
-- Yup - pointed that out above. Since it wont be a windows game I didnt code that in.
5.change the shooting sounds
-- Yes this is my plan. I used sounds I dont have the rights to for testing.
6.ackground music?
-- Yes I pointed that out above - that is being done as we speak.
11. bonusses perhaps?
-- In the works
14.cutscenes?
-- I'm not that advanced yet, but I want to do some yes

anyhow very nice love the smooth graphics. did you draw them?
-- No I spent hard earned cash to buy the rights to use them :biggrin:

if you're looking for a programmer, contact me via pm, i'd be glad to help you for free of course, all i require is just credit.
-- Will do.

-ZeplashStudios
-- I appreciate the feedback.

#6 ChefDavid22

ChefDavid22

No, YOU shut up!

• GMC Member
  • 1193 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:46 AM

Ok check it out again if you feel like it. I added a roller coaster with a zombie head that appears randomly.

I added zombie heads in the carousel that have a good pay off if you hit them. What I found by adding those is if you go for them it increases your chances of missing the main heads so I am glad that was suggested.

Download

Edited by ChefDavid22, 24 April 2012 - 01:49 AM.

#7 ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob

theUndiscovered

• GMC Member
  • 1391 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:27 AM

ChefDavid22,

I found it pretty hard. But then, I don't tend to go for games with fast reflexes, and generally prefer a keyboard to a mouse anyday. (I never even saw any zombie heads on the roller coaster nor carousel.) Yeah, this'll probably be all kinds of fun for your demographic -- and very nice, that your son and you basically got this game going together. $:^ ) $:^ ) $:^ )

I don't like the "OM_" exclamation, but I realize it's up to you whether you want to express euphemized profanity, even for a project you're aiming at younger people. $:^ \

I very much appreciate your desire to "do it right" -- having rights to everything, making it pretty, wanting it to be a fun game first, etc. Overall, kudos to you, sir. $:^ b

Regards,

#8 ChefDavid22

ChefDavid22

No, YOU shut up!

• GMC Member
  • 1193 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:36 AM

I've taught my son that OMG stands for "Oh My Gosh" :thumbsup:

#9 ChefDavid22

ChefDavid22

No, YOU shut up!

• GMC Member
  • 1193 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

Bug Reported: If you click Play Again it goes to the next round. I'll get it fixed. Thanks for letting me know.

#10 ChefDavid22

ChefDavid22

No, YOU shut up!

• GMC Member
  • 1193 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

Bug has been fixed and I added a "Your Best Score" to the game.

#11 dereklarue

dereklarue

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

Hi, great game!
I did notice however that you're using some mouse check function instead of mouse check pressed, if I hold the mouse button down I can hover over the zombies and kill them instead of clicking on them, which makes the game rather easy, which would cause any mobile version to allow players to simple slide their finger instead of tapping. Another suggestion is after each round, allow for a new type/look of head to spawn instead of all the heads being different at the start. This way, people playing wont get bored seeing the same heads every round and feel rewarded seeing a new head after beating each round.

Just my two cents,
-dereklarue

PS: Just noticed, try not to double / triple post as you should be able to edit the Original Post with updates.

Edited by dereklarue, 28 April 2012 - 06:24 PM.

#12 ChefDavid22

ChefDavid22

No, YOU shut up!

• GMC Member
  • 1193 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

Thanks man. I like that idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users