>>DOWNLOAD FROM SPELLCAP<<
>>DOWNLOAD FROM YOYOGAMES<<

SCREENSHOTS

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

ABOUT THE GAME
King Killaton: One Man Army is a tribute and throwback to good old action-overdrive games like Duke Nukem, Serious Sam and Painkiller. It's a wavebased shooter where you shoot wave after wave of alien scum with increasingly powerful weaponry. Along with getting new weapons, you will also constantly be "leveling up" and picking your own upgrades that will help you in whatever strategy serves you (more health, faster movement, increased dodge rate, increased hit rate etc. just to name a few). There are 3 different worlds ensuring a good flow, pace and change of scenery. Also, new monsters are introduced every now and then to keep it fresh.

Features:
  • 10 very different weapons + grenades (11 total weapons!)
  • 12 different upgrades to choose from, you get a new one every other wave
  • Original soundtrack by Roland LaGoy featuring old school heavy metal
  • 10 different enemies, nasty in each their own special way
  • Cool voice acting by Dennis Haagensen delivering very tacky oneliners during the action
  • 2 unique boss fights
  • Every world and boss fight you reach is unlocked and can then be played again whenever you wish

THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THE BETA
  • You can press 'F' during gameplay to grant yourself endless skill points. Needless to say this won't be in the full version, but this way, you can help me test all 12 upgrades easier and let me know if they're balanced enough.
  • Pressing 'R' will restart the game. This is just for debugging and, needless to say, won't be included in the full version.
  • The beta ends after wave 9 in world 3, where you may encounter an error message. This is because I have yet to "conclude" the beta in a nice wrapping way, and it means you've completed the beta. Naturally, I will soon make a more "neat" ending. :)

PLANNED CHANGES
  • Achievements!
  • More monsters and boss fights!
  • Babes!
  • More changes to the scenery (palms in World2, cracks with lava in World3 etc.)
  • Online highscore
  • If people like it - a story mode with actual levels and a story, as well as additional stuff (like vehicle sections etc.)

KNOWN ISSUES
  • The chainsaw and flamethrower sounds can be a bit buggy
  • The flamethrower is not done properly yet, it doesn't brake crates, it doesn't give enough damage, and enemies need to give visual feedback when hit (for example, with fire)
  • Changing the resolution can cause problems (objects not positioned properly, bullet-time effect not scaled properly etc. - for the duration of the beta, please try to play with default resolution)
  • Difficulty setting is integrated, but it doesn't do any difference yet
  • Loading a boss fight directly in-game and then loading another right after can cause problems (for now the safest solution is to restart the game before doing it)
  • Sometimes the sprites for boss2 are not loaded correctly which can cause "non-existing sprite" when fighting boss2
  • When killing the big purple monsters in world3, the King says a special line that he can say regardless if he's saying something else already (making him say two lines at the same time)
  • Lack of death animation for the player

This is the first beta I release and I feel that it's about time to get some feedback on it before I go further. Please let me know what you think.

I realize the download may seem big, but an originally composed soundtrack does take up some space... It should be worth it. If it's a problem, I'll make soundless edition, though that would take a lot of the atmosphere away.

Let me know what you think.

EDIT: Any betatesters who actually betatests and wishes to be put in the credits, just say so.

>>DOWNLOAD FROM SPELLCAP<<
>>DOWNLOAD FROM YOYOGAMES<<

Edited by Elminster, 22 April 2012 - 09:45 PM.

#2 Thaudal

Thaudal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 411 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

Come on people, more than a hundred views and not one reply? Are the screenshots THAT scary? :P

Edited by Elminster, 22 April 2012 - 02:24 PM.

#3 Skilledthis

Skilledthis

GMC Member

• 10 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

Going to download this right now, and let you know my experiences.

Couple things.
1) If you press "F" to enter the shop, you can buy as much as you want by repeatedly pressing "F" while in the shop. Also, if you click quick enough to go over the limit of 10 upgrades, you can go as high as you want. (Don't know if effects the bonuses or not)
2) Don't know if this is suppose to be there, but if you hit "R" it sends you back to the menu entirely. Not just the pause menu, but to the start of the game.
3) Went to fight boss3, and got this error.
for object objBoss1BodyDummy:

Trying to draw non-existing sprite.

4) The grenades are EXTREMELY overpowered.
5) Don't know if it is just me, or the flamethrower does absolutely no damage to the blue guys, and if it does damage, it seems to be extremely small amounts.

Edited by Skilledthis, 22 April 2012 - 04:53 PM.

#4 Thaudal

Thaudal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

Going to download this right now, and let you know my experiences.

Couple things.
1) If you press "F" to enter the shop, you can buy as much as you want by repeatedly pressing "F" while in the shop. Also, if you click quick enough to go over the limit of 10 upgrades, you can go as high as you want. (Don't know if effects the bonuses or not)
2) Don't know if this is suppose to be there, but if you hit "R" it sends you back to the menu entirely. Not just the pause menu, but to the start of the game.
3) Went to fight boss3, and got this error.
for object objBoss1BodyDummy:

Trying to draw non-existing sprite.

4) The grenades are EXTREMELY overpowered.
5) Don't know if it is just me, or the flamethrower does absolutely no damage to the blue guys, and if it does damage, it seems to be extremely small amounts.

Thank you for replying!

1) I know, it's still in there for debugging. In the full version, it will naturally be removed. But in the beta, I don't mind people playing around with the upgrades to test them out. The bug where you can pass the "max limit" won't be relevant once you only have 1 upgrade at a time.

2) It's a beta-only "feature" for debugging. It won't be in the full version.

3) Yeah, the beta ends after wave 9 in world3, because the boss isn't there yet. CONGRATS; you've completed the beta! :P

4) Really? I should think it depends on what rank you have "Demolition Man". At rank 10, yes, they are very powerful, but that's 20 waves worth of ranks in that ONE skill! :P If you mean it's already owerpowered on rank 1-5, really? How so?

5) The flamethrower nerfing is mentioned as the second point in "KNOWN ISSUES" in the first post:
"The flamethrower is not done properly yet, it doesn't brake crates, it doesn't give enough damage, and enemies need to give visual feedback when hit (for example, with fire)"

Asides from what you mentioned, did you enjoy it?

#5 Skilledthis

Skilledthis

GMC Member

• 10 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

Yea, I enjoyed the game a lot actually ^.^ I love games like these (wave after wave). Will play the game more, and look for more stuff.

#6 MonkeyMaw

MonkeyMaw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 308 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:01 PM

Dude. I have to be honest, I didn't expect to have such a good time! I love the details, the voice work, the music, and even the ass kicking! I really didn't have any issues and it was far more polished than normal. I do wish either the file size was smaller or you had a better host. Downloading this took a while for some reason. That however is minor. Great game so far man, I seriously laughed quite a bit and I will check back on this game! Thanks again for the fun and keep on going!

#7 junhalestone

junhalestone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 457 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

Pretty good game!
Well polished, nice voice acting, music and graphics.
Ran a bit slowly for me in the levels where the walls were still there. I think it may have something to do with the way the '3D' draws, top-down.?
Also, pressing 'F' repeatedly allows infinite upgrades.

Other than that, really nice game - keep it up!

#8 Thaudal

Thaudal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

Yea, I enjoyed the game a lot actually ^.^ I love games like these (wave after wave). Will play the game more, and look for more stuff.

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it! Let me know if there's anything you wanna add once you've played it some more, and have fun. :)

Dude. I have to be honest, I didn't expect to have such a good time! I love the details, the voice work, the music, and even the ass kicking! I really didn't have any issues and it was far more polished than normal. I do wish either the file size was smaller or you had a better host. Downloading this took a while for some reason. That however is minor. Great game so far man, I seriously laughed quite a bit and I will check back on this game! Thanks again for the fun and keep on going!

Wow, thanks a lot! I'm really glad to hear it, I did spend quite bit of time on the polish, finding the right voice for the king etc..
I don't really think the filesize can be significantly decreased, however I will add mirror to the YoYoGames host so you can choose between the two yourself. :)

Pretty good game!
Well polished, nice voice acting, music and graphics.
Ran a bit slowly for me in the levels where the walls were still there. I think it may have something to do with the way the '3D' draws, top-down.?
Also, pressing 'F' repeatedly allows infinite upgrades.

Other than that, really nice game - keep it up!

Thank you, I'm very glad you enjoyed it! I'm especially glad you liked the graphics since I did them all myself and I'm still fairly new to spriting.
Hm, I tested earlier today on my laptop, low-end HP with about 3 years on its back, it ran fine in all three worlds.
Could you provide some specs, please? Also, was it totally unplayable or was it a slight framerate drop? And was it specifically worse in world1, 2 or 3?

Yeah, the 'F' thing has been addressed - needless to say it won't be in the full edition, but in the beta, it's there so you can try out all the upgrades as easily as possible. I'll update the OP on it.

Thank you all for your feedback so far, it's really invaluable! Seems like I should finish this game after all.

Keep it coming!

#9 junhalestone

junhalestone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 457 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

I'm on a dual-core laptop with 6GB RAM and pretty good graphics card. It was still very playable, it's just that the pace didn't seem right, and sped up significantly as soon as the boss appeared and started shooting down the walls. It may just be me, but it was definitely faster.

#10 Thaudal

Thaudal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 411 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:45 PM

I'm on a dual-core laptop with 6GB RAM and pretty good graphics card. It was still very playable, it's just that the pace didn't seem right, and sped up significantly as soon as the boss appeared and started shooting down the walls. It may just be me, but it was definitely faster.

Hm, strange... Granted, the walls are kinda heavy (texturized vertexes being scaled relatively to a position), but it ran quite smooth on all levels on my old craptop. Let's hope it's not a widespread issue, and I'm glad that it's at least still playable. :)

#11 junhalestone

junhalestone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 457 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

Yeah, don't worry ;)
If you want, you could add an FPS monitor so people can report the FPS they get?

Well, very good game anyway! Good job.

#12 Thaudal

Thaudal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 411 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

Yeah, don't worry ;)
If you want, you could add an FPS monitor so people can report the FPS they get?

Well, very good game anyway! Good job.

Yeah, I might just do that. Not a bad idea. :)

Thank you very much!

Anyone else? I'd really like some more feedback before proceeding.

#13 Thaudal

Thaudal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 411 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

BUMP! Come on, anyone else? Worked pretty hard on this, a bit more feedback would be greatly appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users