Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I made this game just for you, make sure you play it or... I'll :wallbash:

Changelog:
UPDATED to supreme_squadron_v.1.2 at 13/May/2012
- Game now runs 10 frame faster!
- Player Plane moves faster!
- Game automatically saved when exit!
- You can continue your progress!
- Hold Z or Ctrl to shoot normal weapons!
- Screen SHAKE!!
- Special effects lag reduced!
- Main menu enhanced!
- Some music bug fixed!
- Difficulty enhanced!
Spoiler

As the enemy plans to take over your nation by force, they built an extremely terrifying air-force ever existed in history. But, little did they know that a group of super air-crafts have started an surprise attack mission, they're the Supreme Squadron and you're one of them!

This game will bring you directly to the deadliest aerial battlefield, but don't fear! Unlike another shoot em ups, this game doesn't require inhuman super-reflex. And I'm making this game with old pentium 4 computer so I'm quite sure this game will runs perfectly on any newer computer.

Features:
- Simple control and game-play even idiots can enjoy!
- Joystick supported, just plug and play!
- High quality 32-bit graphic and special effects that will shake your monitor!
- Blast through five areas each with different challenge and atmosphere!
- Fight gigantic colossal bosses and sub-bosses!
- Five different weapons to blast your enemies off!

Controls:
Arrow Keys or Joystick Axis = Movement
Ctrl, Z or Joystick Button 1 = Shoot

This game has super-cool ending! Make sure you finish it! (If you can)

DISCLAIMER
All musics are taken from old RPG Maker's resource.

Edited by Fihrilkamal, 13 May 2012 - 06:18 AM.

#2 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7476 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:14 AM

So far, it looks very nice: Clean graphics and sounds. Responsive controls. With a nice variation in enemies and attack patterns.

So nice job on this. +1 I've only played a few levels so far, but I like it. It's the type of game I prefer, so I'll try to finish it and comment again later.

Edited by chance, 21 April 2012 - 10:14 AM.

#3 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 383 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:09 AM

So far, it looks very nice: Clean graphics and sounds. Responsive controls. With a nice variation in enemies and attack patterns.

So nice job on this. +1 I've only played a few levels so far, but I like it. It's the type of game I prefer, so I'll try to finish it and comment again later.

Thank you very much for playing +1 I hope you enjoy and made it to the end, the bossess are big. The ending might be surprising :D

#4 Creativita

Creativita

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 172 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:05 AM

I found Supreme Squadron to be a very refreshing scrolling shooter. The graphics were far more "advanced" than many other games of the same nature and perfectly suited to the game style. The variable enemy paths, rather creative attacks and even the angle of the game itself also complimented the game's subtle originality.

I believe the positive aspects of the game to be:

Enemy Movement:
The movement of many enemy types changed throughout the game. This change allowed the game to become more exciting and interesting, an aspect which many other scrolling shooter games lack.

Powerups:
The powerups within the game were creative, diverse and perfectly placed. Many of the powerups allowed the player to possibly feel more powerful and even destructive within the game environment.

Difficulty Increase:
The gradual difficulty increase allowed the player to the become accustomed to the controls, enemies and the changes within the game itself without losing the game. This may prevent the player from becoming frustrated whilst playing.

There are also a number of ways in which the game may be improved. These are:

Movement:
I found the movement of the main ship to be responsive but often frustratingly slow. Within some levels, this resulted in the loss of points and often health.

Bosses:
1. The boss of Level 1 was far too easy, even for the initial level. I found that I was able to dodge the attacks with great ease. Whilst attacking him I found myself bored by the lack of challenge or excitement.
2. The speed of this boss fight may be increased if the player were to gain the ability to destroy the missiles before they exploded. I was often required to veer off to the side of the screen or was unable to dodge the attacks at all.
3. The opportunities to attack the boss of Level 3 were brief and far too far apart. I was required to dodge bullets for several minutes before destroying it. The repetitive nature of the fight was tedious and lacked excitement.

Visibilty:
As a result of colour similarities, I had difficulty seeing the bullets of the player and many of the enemies within Level 2. But this aspect is relatively minor.

I have not yet completed the game and I am sure there are many other positive aspects which I am yet to see. I hope my comments have been helpful. Congratulations on the great game.

Edited by Creativita, 24 April 2012 - 12:11 PM.

#5 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 383 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:50 AM

I found Supreme Squadron to be a very refreshing scrolling shooter. The graphics were far more "advanced" than many other games of the same nature and perfectly suited to the game style. The variable enemy paths, rather creative attacks and even the angle of the game itself also complimented the game's subtle originality.

I believe the positive aspects of the game to be:

Enemy Movement:
The movement of many enemy types changed throughout the game. This change allowed the game to become more exciting and interesting, an aspect which many other scrolling shooter games lack.

Powerups:
The powerups within the game were creative, diverse and perfectly placed. Many of the powerups allowed the player to possibly feel more powerful and even destructive within the game environment.

Difficulty Increase:
The gradual difficulty increase allowed the player to the become accustomed to the controls, enemies and the changes within the game itself without losing the game. This may prevent the player from becoming frustrated whilst playing.

There are also a number of ways in which the game may be improved. These are:

Movement:
I found the movement of the main ship to be responsive but often frustratingly slow. Within some levels, this resulted in the loss of points and often health.

Bosses:
1. The boss of Level 1 was far too easy, even for the initial level. I found that I was able to dodge the attacks with great ease. Whilst attacking him I found myself bored by the lack of challenge or excitement.
2. The speed of this boss fight may be increased if the player were to gain the ability to destroy the missiles before they exploded. I was often required to veer off to the side of the screen or was unable to dodge the attacks at all.
3. The opportunities to attack the boss of Level 3 were brief and far too far apart. I was required to dodge bullets for several minutes before destroying it. The repetitive nature of the fight was tedious and lacked excitement.

Visibilty:
As a result of colour similarities, I had difficulty seeing the bullets of the player and many of the enemies within Level 2. But this aspect is relatively minor.

I have not yet completed the game and I am sure there are many other positive aspects which I am yet to see. I hope my comments have been helpful. Congratulations on the great game.

Thank you very very much for your awesome review Creativita!! I'm really feel honored to receive such compliments, and also your constructive reviews is really helpful for my future updates and games! +1 for you.

#6 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2254 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

I played it. There are several things I disliked.

-Player movement is slow, much too slow, I'd like to be able to go 2X as fast
-Player's mask should be shrunk just a little bit I think, in most SHMUPS, the player might have a medium sized sprite, yet is only a pixel for a mask, of course, in a game like this where bullets are so spread out, you don't need to have a mask that is that small.
-There is no save feature even though this game is long and drawn out. Seriously, I stopped playing because I was kinda bored after 30 minutes or so.
-I dun like key mashing ): Which is what you have to do when you have the default weapon, I think it should be like the special guns, you keep the space key held and it fires whenever possible.
-There needs to be more details on the ground, it's kinda bland

Suggestions:
-Make the screen shake when you kill an enemy, screen shaking gives a tremendous feeling of power to the player when it's done right.
-Speed up the game a little bit, maybe increase the room_speed by 10 or something. :thumbsup:

Things I liked:
-Graphics were good, hud was neat, things looked pretty smooth
-Powerup weapons were neat and each one had a unique power, there should be more of them, though, the regular weapon is boring
-You can get hit like 20 times before losing a life, in most games it's 3 shots and x_X, so thanks for making this an easier game... of course the game sortof merits that kind of health system because of the large sprites.

Obviously this game has a lot of potential, I hope you update it!

-orange

#7 MasterOfKings

MasterOfKings

The True Master

• GMC Member
  • 4888 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

The Good

- Beautiful graphics.
- Amazing special effects.
- Decent music.
- Good, ever-changing AI.

The Bad

- A bit of lag when multiple effects go off (possibly GM's fault).
- Movement of the player is too slow.
- No indication of damage done to the boss.
- (this might just be me) It appears that the screen moves at 45 degree angle, but the planes aren't rotated that way; so it seems like the plane isn't going straight.

Possible Additions

- Inter-changeable weapons. Rather than just basic shot, or special, have the ability to change between all of the different weapons.. but only grant infinite ammo to the basic. This is just because I found that some special weapon are better suited to different situations, but you just have to use what you're given.
- Upgrades. Between levels, have the ability to upgrade different aspects of your plane. Speed, endurance, and so forth. Bought by some sort of currency gained through destroying enemies (maybe, lost when you're destroyed?).

#8 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 383 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

Thank you very much for your awesome review orange08 and MasterOfKings!! You guys are awesome! +1s I'll consider your suggestions. I'll update this game but not in these week, because I'll be joining the jam.

Movement of the player is too slow

I'll increase it's speed, but not something faster than 1.5x or 2x, it'll be too easy to avoid enemies and missiles (that can only be avoided).

There is no save feature even though this game is long and drawn out. Seriously, I stopped playing because I was kinda bored after 30 minutes or so.

30 minutes :o !! You must be in level 4 and that's really near with the last boss! Level 5 is boss only :P I intend to make this game plays like classic shooter (no save), but I think I'll add save feature in the next version anyway.
-I dun like key mashing ): Which is what you have to do when you have the default weapon, I think it should be like the special guns, you keep the space key held and it fires whenever possible.
Doesn't it make special weapon less special? :P

A bit of lag when multiple effects go off (possibly GM's fault).

Make the screen shake when you kill an enemy, screen shaking gives a tremendous feeling of power to the player when it's done right.

It's not GM's fault, it's mine :P I think it will be cool if I pause the game for about 20-75 milliseconds to emphasize impact and explosion, I'll replace it with screen shake next time.

Possible Additions

- Inter-changeable weapons. Rather than just basic shot, or special, have the ability to change between all of the different weapons.. but only grant infinite ammo to the basic. This is just because I found that some special weapon are better suited to different situations, but you just have to use what you're given.
- Upgrades. Between levels, have the ability to upgrade different aspects of your plane. Speed, endurance, and so forth. Bought by some sort of currency gained through destroying enemies (maybe, lost when you're destroyed?).

Inter-changeable weapons? That will require more buttons, and I think this game is supposed to only use one shoot button, just like the motto said above "Simple control and game-play even idiots can enjoy!"
Upgrades is cool! I'll think about it.

Thanks for your time guys I love you all !! :kiss:

#9 jak_gamer

jak_gamer

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:01 PM

Thanks
:thumbsup: game interesting

Edited by jak_gamer, 06 May 2012 - 09:03 PM.

#10 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 16041 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:13 PM

Wow. that is a very polished game. Worthy of the arcades of the late 90's

Few suggestions

The game gets pretty tame after a while. there's nothing to keep me interested in playing.

ctrl to shoot. Tap Tap Tap... My pinky hurts

What I would do is add a secondary weapon, say missiles. and use z,x c,... as action buttons.

I would also allow holding down the shoot and let the game do the tapping for me.

You allow space to shoot. but that is a nono when using the arrows to move.

Shooting a squadron should give you some bonus... like points and maybe upgrade your plane or bullets (shoot faster)

Pickups should last based on time instead of ammo left... or maybe pickups should be what you get to shoot as secondary weapon. Shooting a squadron could possible add time to the pickup weapon.

Health pickup!

#11 Andy

Andy

GMC Veteran

• GMC Member
  • 1879 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:24 AM

This is a fun shooter! I like how the game scrolls at an angle, - good design choice. I enjoy the enormous aircrafts and varied power ups. The graphics fit and blend well. The music is nice, the sounds are satisfying. Keep up the great work. :thumbsup:

#12 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 383 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

Thanks A LOT jak_gamer, iccuurd12b42, and andy! I really apreciate your comments, I'll try to update this game these weeks.
And, please play through level 4 before saying this game is easy, because that level is where the true challenge begins.

#13 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 16041 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

Thanks A LOT jak_gamer, iccuurd12b42, and andy! I really apreciate your comments, I'll try to update this game these weeks.
And, please play through level 4 before saying this game is easy, because that level is where the true challenge begins.

I did not say it was easy, but tame. the shooting makes it rather tedious if anything, even if it was easy to get through, I don't think I would make it through to level 4. I have to say I quit before that (did not die) but I just could not stick with the game after I killed the first boss, what discouraged me is the shooting. On a laptop, there is no comfortable way to shoot using ctrl, much less tapping it constantly. The game just needs tweaking to interest me into going further and the controls laid out to prevent fatigue.

#14 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 383 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:50 PM

I did not say it was easy, but tame. the shooting makes it rather tedious if anything, even if it was easy to get through, I don't think I would make it through to level 4. I have to say I quit before that (did not die) but I just could not stick with the game after I killed the first boss, what discouraged me is the shooting. On a laptop, there is no comfortable way to shoot using ctrl, much less tapping it constantly. The game just needs tweaking to interest me into going further and the controls laid out to prevent fatigue.

Ok Thanks, I got your point, sorry English isn't my primary language :P I'll use z x c button next time and auto tapping.
And, this game actually supports joystick.

#15 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 16041 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:06 PM

Ok Thanks, I got your point, sorry English isn't my primary language :P I'll use z x c button next time and auto tapping.
And, this game actually supports joystick.

Increasing the number of squadron and plane while adding autoshoot should improve things quite a lot, like a quarter way between a 1945 plane game and a bullet hell game.

#16 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 383 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:20 AM

Thanks to your awesome review, THIS GAME HAS BEEN UPDATED!!

UPDATED to supreme_squadron_v.1.2 at 13/May/2012
- Game now runs 10 frame faster!
- Player Plane moves faster!
- Game automatically saved when exit!
- You can continue your progress!
- Hold Z or Ctrl to shoot normal weapons!
- Screen SHAKE!!
- Special effects lag reduced!
- Main menu enhanced!
- Some music bug fixed!
- Difficulty enhanced!

I hope you enjoy the changes I made!

#17 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 16041 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:15 PM

I made it to boss 3 or 4?, the one I can only shoot when it's sucking (lol)

The way the design is for the pickups. once I get one, I have no incentive to shoot anything as I am more tempted to keep the ammo for the stage boss. I suggest you add leveling up, that way I will be more tempted to shoot things to level up my ship to make my weapons stronger. Or change from a ammo limit to a time limit for the pickup

The pickups are a little annoying. They alternate in the air but I always pickup the same 2, no matter what. I see what I want to pick, but when I pick it, it rotated to the next one. I've seen rotating pickups that change to the next type when you shoot it. that way you can choose what you want.

When do I get new lives?

The missile in the second boss killed all my planes but 1. There is no way to shoot to missile and almost impossible to avoid unless you are on the right and the boss shoots it when on the left. If it moved faster and you could influence it more with moving the plane so to make it miss you.

I still think the game would be better if I had secondary weapons, missiles and secondary pickups to change the missile types.

Enough criticism.

It flows well, it's nice to play now with the z and auto-shoot. And the use of music timed with event is a good implementation, almost did not notice it since it's so natural.

Good job!

#18 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 383 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:48 AM

I made it to boss 3 or 4?, the one I can only shoot when it's sucking (lol)

The way the design is for the pickups. once I get one, I have no incentive to shoot anything as I am more tempted to keep the ammo for the stage boss. I suggest you add leveling up, that way I will be more tempted to shoot things to level up my ship to make my weapons stronger. Or change from a ammo limit to a time limit for the pickup

The pickups are a little annoying. They alternate in the air but I always pickup the same 2, no matter what. I see what I want to pick, but when I pick it, it rotated to the next one. I've seen rotating pickups that change to the next type when you shoot it. that way you can choose what you want.

When do I get new lives?

The missile in the second boss killed all my planes but 1. There is no way to shoot to missile and almost impossible to avoid unless you are on the right and the boss shoots it when on the left. If it moved faster and you could influence it more with moving the plane so to make it miss you.

I still think the game would be better if I had secondary weapons, missiles and secondary pickups to change the missile types.

Enough criticism.

It flows well, it's nice to play now with the z and auto-shoot. And the use of music timed with event is a good implementation, almost did not notice it since it's so natural.

Good job!

Thanks again! I'm planned to add upgrades system and bonus for destroying whole squadron on this version, but I still can't do that since I have to rebuild most of the part to do that :P
That vaccuum cleaner boss is level 3's boss :D . As for the bonus weapons, It's almost useless to keep ammo for the boss here, since there's bonus carrier that appear just before -almost- every boss fight. And bonus ammos are non-cummulative, they'll reset as player pick new one. I guess I made bonus weapon changes too quickly :P
When player not shooting enemies they not get any PP (score), hence they'll not get more lives. You'll get extra lives on 10000, 30000, 90000, and so on, I think that will encourage player to shoot more enemies. You can dodge missiles by moving diagonally, it need good timing though.
Thank you very much for your review and Ideas :D I really appreciate that.

#19 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 383 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:51 AM

Bump. Anyone finished this game?

#20 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2254 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:33 PM

Oh, sweet. Downloading the update. Here's hoping it's good. Will edit later.

Edit:
Okay, I played through some of the game, then I lost because of that 2nd boss who shoots missiles. I really REALLY think that you should be able to shoot those missiles so they explode, instead of running into a corner and waiting for them to explode by themselves. It doesn't make sense that your bullets can hit the plane but not it's large missiles.

Edited by orange08, 21 May 2012 - 12:46 PM.

#21 The Rock Abdo

The Rock Abdo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

nice game .. :thumbsup:

#22 Mornez

Mornez

GMC Member

• Sandbox Moderators
  • 344 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

This game is very impressive! The perspective reminds me of the old arcade game Zaxxon. I like the updates.

Only Suggestion so far:
Show damage on the bosses...maybe have bits and pieces being blown off etc...

#23 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 383 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:27 PM

Thanks a lot The rock abdo and mornez, I'm really glad you've played this game.

#24 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 383 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:44 PM

Bump.. Anyone reached the ending? or at least the gigantic final-boss? I hope I didn't make them for nothing :(

#25 Lukasmah

Lukasmah

Well damn!

• GMC Member
  • 712 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

I have a question:

How did you make those graphics?

It isn't pixel art.

Pre-rendered 3D?

#26 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 383 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

I have a question:

How did you make those graphics?

It isn't pixel art.

Pre-rendered 3D?

No, it's actually a digital painting I made using combination of vector paths and and brushes in phothosop.

#27 Lukasmah

Lukasmah

Well damn!

• GMC Member
  • 712 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

Well, it is nice. The angle makes it a bit weird, but not in a bad way. Some powerups are annoying instead of helpful, but that isn't a big deal because you can simply waste the powerups you don't want. It is a fun game.

EDIT: Yes, I reached the last boss. Kill'd me.

Edited by Lukasmah, 28 December 2012 - 02:11 PM.

#28 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

Well, it is nice. The angle makes it a bit weird, but not in a bad way. Some powerups are annoying instead of helpful, but that isn't a big deal because you can simply waste the powerups you don't want. It is a fun game.

EDIT: Yes, I reached the last boss. Kill'd me.

Thank you for your review! And it's good to hear someone finally reached the final boss (even if you lose) :D

#29 Lukasmah

Lukasmah

Well damn!

• GMC Member
  • 712 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

I recommend you to modify the powerups, they are underpowered.

Edited by Lukasmah, 10 March 2013 - 10:11 PM.

#30 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 383 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:37 PM

I'm afraid that will make the game too easy :turned:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users