GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1251 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

Posted Image

Current Episode: Episode 2 May 2, 2012

http://traffic.libsyn.com/gmpodcast/podcast2.mp3

iTunes link is live, You can find us here: http://itunes.apple....ast/id520411559

GameMaker Podcast is a new podcast related to GameMaker as well as topics that can benefit the GameMaker user. On every show we will talk about the community news, discuss topics in the game industry that may directly affect GameMaker users, talk about tips, programs or resources that may benefit developing programmers and talk about some the the great games or WIP projects that are going in in the community. We will also have interviews from time to time and include anything we get from the community.

We want to send the message loud and clear that this is a community podcast so we want to hear from you! If you send us questions we will do our best to get them answered, if you want us to discuss a specific topic then we will.

Right now we plan to publish the podcast bi-weekly and we will adjust the time frame if needed, but each show will be over an hour in length so we feel this is a good starting point.

Finally we published out very first episode today which you can find below:

Episode 1 - April 18, 2012
Spoiler

Episode 2 -May 2, 2012
Spoiler

We welcome your comments, good or bad, so that we can work to improve the show. Feel free to post here or contact us via one of the methods below!

If you wan to submit content, come on the show to talk about your project, talk about a special subject, or want to suggest topics for us please email us.

iTunes link is live, You can find us here: http://itunes.apple....ast/id520411559

The Podcast is hosted by: tingler,Destron, and zakaos.
You can find our official website at http://gamemakerpodcast.com
Follow us on Twitter @GM_Podcast
Email us at gmpodcast@gmail.com
Our Official RSS feed is http://www.gamemakerpodcast.com/feed

Edited by Destron, 02 May 2012 - 08:01 AM.

#2 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7710 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

Not bad for the first broadcast, so +1 for the effort. I hope you can continue as you're planning: every other week, I believe you said.

The podcast audio quality was acceptable. And the participants spoke clearly. So that's a plus. But the subject matter wasn't very interesting. The discussion about Studio's targeted customer base, and Studio's pricing, has been discussed on the GMC countless times now. So now it's countless+1.

Instead of re-hashing the GMC discussion, you might consider discussing viewpoints from other GM forums, and/or other game making forums. If you aren't familiar with any (non-GMC) forums, consider a brief interview with one of their members/admins to get their thoughts. You might want to pick a forum from this topic.

And not to suggest that NAL isn't interesting... but I seem to remember several previous interviews with him. Either way, if you insist interviewing a YoYo person, it'd be fun to hear from lesser-known employees. For example, they recently hired other designers and/or programmers who aren't well-known on the GMC.

Lastly, you might consider contacting/interviewing someone at HandyGames (discussed in this YYG news topic) about their hiring plans, and their decision to use GM:Studio as their primary tool.

#3 dadio

dadio

I miss my cupcake

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2063 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

And not to suggest that NAL isn't interesting... etc... lesser known employees... etc...

Um... that's just cos NAL is the only attention Wh0*e :biggrin:

I volunteer Jack for the next Podcast.
Yes.
Yes I'm sure he'd love the attention. :whistle:

#4 tingler

tingler

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

Not bad for the first broadcast, so +1 for the effort. I hope you can continue as you're planning: every other week, I believe you said.

The podcast audio quality was acceptable. And the participants spoke clearly. So that's a plus. But the subject matter wasn't very interesting. The discussion about Studio's targeted customer base, and Studio's pricing, has been discussed on the GMC countless times now. So now it's countless+1.

Instead of re-hashing the GMC discussion, you might consider discussing viewpoints from other GM forums, and/or other game making forums. If you aren't familiar with any (non-GMC) forums, consider a brief interview with one of their members/admins to get their thoughts. You might want to pick a forum from this topic.

And not to suggest that NAL isn't interesting... but I seem to remember several previous interviews with him. Either way, if you insist interviewing a YoYo person, it'd be fun to hear from lesser-known employees. For example, they recently hired other designers and/or programmers who aren't well-known on the GMC.

Lastly, you might consider contacting/interviewing someone at HandyGames (discussed in this YYG news topic) about their hiring plans, and their decision to use GM:Studio as their primary tool.

Thank you very much for the feedback! The suggestions that you brought up are very good. We will look into all of them. We will try to bring you all the news, interviews, and anything else that the GameMaker community wants. So again thanks for the feedback. We will be working hard to improve every single episode! If you think of anymore ideas or if you just want to ask us a question for the next episode email us at gmpodcast@gmail.com. Thank You.

Tingler

#5 tingler

tingler

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

Moderator note: please follow the forum rules by not double posting within 48 hours. Instead, edit your previous post.

Spoiler

#6 zakaos

zakaos

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

Hey that's purty good...

#7 dadio

dadio

I miss my cupcake

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2063 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:18 PM

Yeah. Just finished listening. Quite nice! :thumbsup:
Alotta chatter there about Studio.
Funny to hear NAL.
I'm curious how future podcasts are gonna pan out...
hopefully you'll line up alotta great GM devs for interviews. :yes:
I wish ya the best of luck with it!

Oh also... can we get a downloadable mp3 of it or something?

#8 Revel

Revel

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɔɯƃ

• GMC Member
  • 4935 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

Funny to hear NAL.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/gmpodcast/gmpodcast_ep1.mp3

#9 dadio

dadio

I miss my cupcake

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2063 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:36 PM

*tips hat*

#10 Destron

Destron

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1251 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

Funny to hear NAL.

Thanks for the comments, we decided to make the first show about GMS because a lot of people don't seem to understand why the pricing structure is the way it is, or the reasoning for the direction YoYo is going. Also, admittedly not all the research was done on a couple of topics we wanted to get in there. When we do discuss topics we want them to be as factual and accurate as possible so that involves a ton of research for some of them. We do have some more interviews in the pipeline that I hope some of you will be pleased with but we are not ready to talk about that because while they are confirmed we have not arranged exact recording dates yet so I can't guarantee what episode they will appear in.

As far as future podcasts, we hope that the community will help shape those in to what they would like to hear about. Obviousness we have a ton of ideas and topics we plan to cover but we would like to get the community involved as well as you guys are the reason we are doing this.

Also out iTunes feed is live, you can find it here http://itunes.apple....ast/id520411559

Edited by Destron, 18 April 2012 - 08:06 PM.

#11 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8362 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:17 AM

I just finished listening to the podcast in its entirety and I thoroughly enjoyed it. All of it.

When I first saw the topic, my thoughts were, Oh no, here we go again. More kids giggling and screeching into a microphone for a little while. Then I saw over an hour of content, and figured I wouldn't have be able to last more than 15 minutes.

I couldn't have been more wrong!

The show had a natural conversation flow, the content interesting, hosts well versed and the interview terrific. I was especially impressed with Chris (Destron), very knowledgeable and articulate.

I'd like to see a broadcast schedule of once every two weeks, anything less might come at the expense of content. I'd also like to see interviews with YYGs employees. The top of my list are Mike, Russell and Sandy, but hearing from some of the lesser visible YYGs employees would be welcome as well. Save Kirsty for when you start doing video podcasts, because she's cute as hell.

Looking forward to the next one.

Edited by NakedPaulToast, 19 April 2012 - 03:19 AM.

#12 Joe H

Joe H

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 354 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:45 AM

I like it. You guys did a pretty good job with this. One guy sounds like a robot, but I see that as a plus.

Best of luck, can't wait to listen again.

EDIT::

Just finished listening. I thought the discussion on the price of GM Studio vs other similar software was excellent. It is actually a point that I had not thought about and further reinforces why I am purchasing GM Studio and sticking with YoYo.

I also thought that Zac's anecdote about NES games and his little girl was hilarious! You guys make a good team IMHO.

Edited by Joe H, 19 April 2012 - 04:14 AM.

#13 tingler

tingler

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:56 AM

We just want to thank everyone thats listened to podcast so far, and given us feedback. Thank you so much! We love the feedback that we have been getting! We have a bunch of interviews scheduled for future episodes, and we are hunting down the ones that the community really wants to hear. We have been getting really good downloads of the podcast! Much more then we thought! That makes us want to work even harder to bring you the best content possible. Again, Thank You for your kind words, and feedback! We are working hard on the next episode! Also, we are looking for listener questions for the next episode so send them to us at gmpodcast@gmail.com. They can be about anything! Also follow us on twitter @GM_Podcast.

Thank you so much,

GM Podcast Team

#14 tingler

tingler

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:03 AM

Moderator edit: again with the double posting...

Spoiler

#15 Destron

Destron

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1251 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:37 AM

I just finished listening to the podcast in its entirety and I thoroughly enjoyed it. All of it.

When I first saw the topic, my thoughts were, Oh no, here we go again. More kids giggling and screeching into a microphone for a little while. Then I saw over an hour of content, and figured I wouldn't have be able to last more than 15 minutes.

I couldn't have been more wrong!

The show had a natural conversation flow, the content interesting, hosts well versed and the interview terrific. I was especially impressed with Chris (Destron), very knowledgeable and articulate.

I'd like to see a broadcast schedule of once every two weeks, anything less might come at the expense of content. I'd also like to see interviews with YYGs employees. The top of my list are Mike, Russell and Sandy, but hearing from some of the lesser visible YYGs employees would be welcome as well. Save Kirsty for when you start doing video podcasts, because she's cute as hell.

Looking forward to the next one.

Thanks everyone for the comments and the feedback! I have to agree with tingler that I did not feel it would do well so fast! We did choose the 2 week time frame because we were afraid that we could not put together a quality show in a 1 week time frame, we want to have enough time to research our topics, and we probably can not compile enough content within a week. We are striving to put together a quality show for you guys. I was not satisfied with the audio in this one, but the edits had to be done in Audacity, which is a great program but somewhat limited, so In the future it will be produced in Adobe Audition.

We are looking to get some interviews from the YoYo Games team, but understandably they are pressed for time atm trying to get Studio completed and out to you guys, so we will catch up to them when Studio ships. However I want to also send a huge thank you to the YoYo Team for their support of our project.

Just finished listening. I thought the discussion on the price of GM Studio vs other similar software was excellent. It is actually a point that I had not thought about and further reinforces why I am purchasing GM Studio and sticking with YoYo.

This is the main reason we chose this topic for the first episode, to help reinforce just how much of a value Studio really is for what you can potentially get from it.

Edited by Destron, 19 April 2012 - 07:41 AM.

#16 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

NPT's comment sold me, so I gave it a short listen. I had no intent of listening to the entire podcast by the way, so here's my impressions of the 20 minutes I did listen to.

It seemed to start off too slowly for my liking...an issue for me with these types of podcasts (aside from terrible audio and poor editing) is just how slowly content is introduced. I'm not hesitant to say that I really didn't want to hear about your website or whatever during the first 10 minutes...it's the first episode, and so I know nothing about the production - at that point, it's your "job" to make me care about it before giving me updates on it.

The content itself (that I listened to, again not all), as mentioned above, was a bit generic, however I thought it was well presented and the conversation was generally quite intelligent. I'm not sure I'd say "interesting", but I think you guys could actually achieve "interesting" if you look at the topics from less obvious viewpoints, or topics that are less common...I'd think the people that listen to this would already be fairly well informed - try providing something that would interest those people rather than the obvious, simple route of just covering what's been covered. If I don't learn something new, or your content doesn't drive an original thought, I will feel like my time was wasted.

GameMaker is being used in very interesting ways right now, especially as the focus moves to commercialization. Take a look at GM HTML5 - it's sort of a "sneak peak" at the potential of Studio. Personally I have already paid for my copy of GM HTML5 many times over with the money I'm making from it, and I know others who are as well. The mobile market is where GM is heading, perhaps give it some more attention in future podcasts.

Anyway, of the limited time I did listen for, the best part was easily the editing out of pauses (or if it was all natural, even better), and that you guys didn't talk over each other. That drives me insane, so it was actually not painful to listen to...which is the first time I've said that about a GM podcast.

This production value is why I will listen for at least another release. I don't know how this whole post comes off but I've tried to offer my opinion, and let me finish by saying I was impressed with this launch, and I am very much looking forward to improvements and future releases :)

Oh yeah and:

Save Kirsty for when you start doing video podcasts, because she's cute as hell.

Seconded. :lol:

#17 RedOctober

RedOctober

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

I wasn't going to listen to this, but the comments made me at least try it. I'm happy that I did. I do agree with TV; the start was slow. The interview and discussion of NAL's games was the most interesting.

Edited by RedOctober, 19 April 2012 - 01:05 PM.

#18 zakaos

zakaos

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

Wow, thanks for all the awesome feedback! I'm really grateful to be participating in a podcast for such an awesome community, looking forward to many great episodes in the future, just wanted to say thanks to all of you for all of the support, btw the super Mario world anecdote was Eric, though I have Many anecdotes of my daughter and super mario world to come, right now she's sticking to ernies magic shape game on sesame st abc (nes)

So 1000000 thanks to all of you for listenin, see ya next time,

#19 Joe H

Joe H

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 354 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

Wow, thanks for all the awesome feedback! I'm really grateful to be participating in a podcast for such an awesome community, looking forward to many great episodes in the future, just wanted to say thanks to all of you for all of the support, btw the super Mario world anecdote was Eric, though I have Many anecdotes of my daughter and super mario world to come, right now she's sticking to ernies magic shape game on sesame st abc (nes)

So 1000000 thanks to all of you for listenin, see ya next time,

Oh! my apologies. I have not learned which voice fits with whom yet ( I thought I had it right! ).

#20 Destron

Destron

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1251 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

Thank you TV and RedOctober for your comments! We will look closer at the pacing of the show to make sure we get to the 'meat' quicker. We hope to appeal both to newer users and experienced users but one thing we have discussed is putting content geared towards newer users closer to the end ans clearly marking that section so the experienced users know when we hit that point. This way those that do keep up on GM news or are more experienced can choose to turn it off at this point or keep listening. Would live to hear the communities thoughts on this.

#21 OMGCarlos

OMGCarlos

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 329 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:04 PM

I came here to break my long streak of inactivity on the GMC to congratulate you guys!
* I liked the price comparison of GM Studio to Unity. I don't think people realize the amazing value.
* Creating a game design document I felt was one of your most important topics, but you didn't really go into much detail on how to do it.
* The interview with NAL was AWESOME and very inspiring! Definitely do more of those!!!

Edited by OMGCarlos, 19 April 2012 - 10:08 PM.

#22 tingler

tingler

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:09 AM

I came here to break my long streak of inactivity on the GMC to congratulate you guys!
* I liked the price comparison of GM Studio to Unity. I don't think people realize the amazing value.
* Creating a game design document I felt was one of your most important topics, but you didn't really go into much detail on how to do it.
* The interview with NAL was AWESOME and very inspiring! Definitely do more of those!!!

Thanks Carlos!

We have allot more interviews coming so stay tuned. I also agree, we did not go into allot of detail about game documents, but im sure its a subject that will be tackled at some put in a future show. Thank you so much for your kind words. <|80)

#23 Destron

Destron

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1251 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:02 AM

Episode 2 is out! Please let us know what you think - good or bad!

#24 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:15 AM

So I approached this one with only really an interest in the freemium discussion, however the audio plugin you're using doesn't let me skip content until it has buffered, so I ended up listening to more than I'd planned. Here's my opinion on it.

The intro was much better this time, heading straight into the content. That was great. I don't know if you guys introduced yourselves again but if you did I missed it - mid way through I was thinking it would be nice to put a name to each voice by now.

The first story started off poorly, but I was interested in Desura as a distribution platform. The audio in the introduction of Terraform was poor and just made me feel like the recording was not prepared for very well. The interview was when I started paying attention again; "Zak" (is it?) did a pretty decent job there, though overall it was stretched out just a bit too long and you could tell the discussion was getting a bit dry towards the end. I also would have liked to hear more about Desura, and I felt like that was a missed opportunity.

The entire process of getting a game on Desura would have been far more interesting to me than the lengthy discussion of the game, given that there are less than 10 GameMaker games on that platform. I personally don't think radio or podcasts can do games justice; watching 30 seconds of Terraform's trailer gave me better insight into the game than the 15 minutes you spent describing it.

I really think you dedicated far too much time to that story, and in particular as the introductory story I don't think that was a good decision. That first 10 minutes is the easiest time to lose me as a listener. I only stayed to see how you'd approach freemium games.

After skipping the part about Windows, I got there. I was disappointed with the freemium segment but not surprised; you guys looked at it very much from a player's perspective, or in other words, a common perspective. You did mention that developers of course benefit from the model, but you didn't have enough experience or knowledge of the field to go into more depth as to why it's a better (or worse) decision to go F2P or ad-supported. In the end, the discussion led to all the typical complaints you hear about F2P. There are tons of stats about ad revenue from mobile platforms (I have at least 20 pages of them in my bookmarks alone) and the increasing preference of developers to go F2P over a subscription or out-right model. There were some games you could have referenced including ones from AAA developers such as Turbine, and it would have been interesting to hear why F2P is more valuable to an indie developer than a AAA one (in terms of initial audience and lack of marketing power). I'm glad you at least mentioned the difference between online games and SP games, but overall this story lacked real depth.

Carrying on from my comments for your first podcast, I again didn't feel like this catered to my interests in enough depth for me to be engaged. That is as big a problem as you want it to be; if a less experienced audience that is easier to appease is your target than that's fine, but if you were looking for more general appeal you need to not only pick your content more carefully, but also design the pacing of the show better, and do substantially more research on your chosen fields.

I skipped the section on Spriter as it was of no interest to me and I had not heard of it previously, however by skimming it this seemed to be another long interview.

I've presented a lot of criticism again, but again I also could tell there was some quality here.

#25 RedOctober

RedOctober

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:29 AM

Just finished listening to the most recent episode. My comments are similar to TV. The audio of the Terraform segment was so terrible that I skipped it completely. I listened to the rest, but I wasn't an active listener, only the part about Desura got me really interested.

#26 zakaos

zakaos

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:55 AM

Just finished listening to the most recent episode. My comments are similar to TV. The audio of the Terraform segment was so terrible that I skipped it completely. I listened to the rest, but I wasn't an active listener, only the part about Desura got me really interested.

Awww cmon lol, the audio quality wasn't thaaaaaaaat bad...

was it?

#27 Furritus

Furritus

Just another Ferret

• GMC Member
  • 287 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:05 AM

windows worth it?! of course it is!

#28 zakaos

zakaos

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:01 AM

windows worth it?! of course it is!

Word.

#29 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:43 AM

The audio at the start of the Terraform segment was not good, but the actual interview audio was fine I thought.

#30 zakaos

zakaos

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:03 PM

The audio at the start of the Terraform segment was not good, but the actual interview audio was fine I thought.

Thx again TV!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users