Templar

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 75 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:10 AM

delvelogoloading.png
Delve the Dungeon Crawler

This is a dungeon crawler that was heavily inspired by the Delve: The Dice Game board game.

Take a role of brave adventurers - Fighter, Rogue, Wizard, Cleric, Paladin, Ranger, Druid and Elementalist to explore many dangerous dungeons. 
Lots of enemies to battle (more than 70 unique monsters), artifact to find, traps to avoid and spells to cast. 
Did I told you that this game includes many achievements and endless survival mode with online leaderboard?

Features:
- 14 Dungeons (+1 Secret dungeon)
- 8 Characters
- 70 Unique monsters
- More than 90 monster encounters (plus about 90 - traps, statues and treasures)
- Survival - endless mode
- Online Leaderboard
- 14 Unique Artifacts (more than 50 different modifications) - and 8 kinds of consumables (potions)
- 15 Auras types
- Achievements (over 30 achievements to unlock)
- Tutorial (it will teach you how to play the game and explain rules) (more detailed rules can be found on the boardgame site)

Game Controls
"ESC" key - while in dungeon mode, this will take you to your Adventures profile. Here you will find your current party XP and XP requered to gain next level. You are able to drink all healing/resurrection/bless/purification potions. You are also able to distribute potions/artifacts betwen your hero's.
"Space" key - skips a dialog popup, and also roll dice.
Mouse Shortcuts:
- Right click on Roll the dice will deselect all dice, or select all (if no dice was selected)
- Right click on dice, will select or deselect all similar dice.
- Right click on Pass, will skip all dice rolls (take you to the final dice selection).

DOWNLOAD 2.0

File Size: 22mb exe / Windows7 and Windows8 compatible

(Run as administrator in Windows8)

What's new log:

Spoiler

Survival mode
Spoiler

Online Leaderboard

I'm looking forward your feedbacks! Suggestions, ideas, gameplay remarks, anything!

screenshoot6thumb.jpg screenshoot7thumb.jpg screenshoot5thumb.jpg treasurei.th.jpg
more screenshots

Illustrations that used in this project does not belong to me and used in boundaries of Fair use.
If you are the author and want a credit or want it to be removed please contact me.
Delve the Dungeon Crawler is a non-profit fan-made project.

Edited by Templar, 02 July 2014 - 11:10 PM.

#2 vidokas

vidokas

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 314 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

very nice game.
i only played one similar game "runespell overture"

btw.
how about saving games?
i played it yesterday.. died. go to my menu, and started to last dungeon.

but today when i turned on game. it was all from beggining :unsure:

#3 Templar

Templar

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

very nice game.
i only played one similar game "runespell overture"

btw.
how about saving games?
i played it yesterday.. died. go to my menu, and started to last dungeon.

but today when i turned on game. it was all from beggining :unsure:

Thanks for reply. If you liked the "runespell overture" you will like this one as well.
I'm might need more details to help you.
All savings are automatic. When you finish a dungeon - it will be finished even after you exit/reenter game (or you lose your next dungeon). Your progress should be saved.
(Make sure you didn't erased your save file, and play in "Adventure" ("Dungeon" is only for replay)).
Sekmes ;]

Edited by Templar, 18 April 2012 - 07:11 PM.

#4 vidokas

vidokas

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 314 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

description of "Giant"

[Don't run away little humans, I just wasn't to play with you]
i think it should be "I just want to play with you"

edit: game crashed after first giant roll

edit2: guess game too much based on luck.
sometimes some crowd of bats get x5 VI dice and u dead :|

Edited by vidokas, 19 April 2012 - 09:26 PM.

#5 Templar

Templar

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

description of "Giant"

[Don't run away little humans, I just wasn't to play with you]
i think it should be "I just want to play with you"

Thanks for report. This is what happens when you programming at 4am :)

edit: game crashed after first giant roll

This never happend to me before. Please send "game_errors.log" file that was created to my email (or at least post it here) so I could fix this.

edit2: guess game too much based on luck.
sometimes some crowd of bats get x5 VI dice and u dead :|

Well, this is what you get when you play a game driven by dice :) Luck factor will always be involved.
But not on a critical level. When you get to play more, gain more experience for you charactres that will give you more options, you realize that you can control dice more, and a lot of skills and tactics involved.
If you are talking about crows of bats in first dungeon. This encounter was on a higher level then you, the only way to defeat it was to use Wizard's Lightning strike skill (I programmed this encounter that you would always roll at least four [II] when you play this encounter)

#6 vidokas

vidokas

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 314 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

ERROR in
action number 1
of Step Event
for object popup_help_obj:

Error in code at line 153:

text=instance_position(mouse_x,mouse_y,attack_obj).text;
^
at position 53: Unknown variable text

EDIT:
sometimes its really hard.
killed giant.
atacked raiders. and they get 6 atacks...
so i need to start that dungeon from begining again :|

Edited by vidokas, 20 April 2012 - 11:41 AM.

#7 Templar

Templar

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:21 PM

ERROR in
action number 1
of Step Event
for object popup_help_obj:

Error in code at line 153:

text=instance_position(mouse_x,mouse_y,attack_obj).text;
^
at position 53: Unknown variable text

EDIT:

Ok, fix is on it's way.

sometimes its really hard.
killed giant.
atacked raiders. and they get 6 atacks...
so i need to start that dungeon from beginning again :|

If I make a dungeon that you may lose - players will be frustrating when they lose.
If I make a dungeon that you always win - players will complain that it's not challenging.
I guess there is no win win option here :)
Because there are not that many dungeons right now, I choose a "hard challenge" approach. That means that you have to explore all dungeon and get to know all enemies in order to succeed.
Game is very rewarding no matter if you win or lose. All your hard earned experience are saved even when you lose. So the next time you play this dungeon again, you will be a little stronger.

Edited by Templar, 20 April 2012 - 03:25 PM.

#8 Templar

Templar

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:13 AM

1.36 released
What's new:
- Minor changes in "Dragon's Lair", "Loss and Gain", "Pursuit" and "Lord Teranis" dungeons
- Cave Troll behavior slightly changed
- Ninjas health changed from 4 to 3
- Graphical improvements - New avatars for Goblins and Goblin Leaders. And few more minor improvements
- Bug fixes
- Gramar Grammar fixes

#9 JABayne

JABayne

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

Fun game, needs music. maybe I could assist? P.M. me and I will give you a link to my music page.

piggy

#10 Templar

Templar

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:32 PM

I forgot to mention game controls and shortcuts:

Game Controls
"ESC" key - while in dungeon mode, this will take you to your Adventures profile. Here you will find your current party XP and XP requered to gain next level. You are able to drink all healing/resurrection/bless/purification potions. You are also able to distribute potions/artifacts betwen your hero's.
"Space" key - skips a dialog popup, and also roll new dice.
Mouse Shortcuts:
- Right click on Roll the dice will deselect all dice, or select all (if no dice was selected)
- Right click on dice, will select or deselect all similar dice.
- Right click on Pass, will skip all dice rolls (take you to the final dice selection).

Fun game, needs music. maybe I could assist? P.M. me and I will give you a link to my music page.

piggy

Ok :)

#11 Templar

Templar

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:52 PM

1.37 released
What's new:
- Difficulty reduced in all dungeons, some monsters was removed. (I will reintroduce removed monsters in future dungeons).
But if you replay a dungeon, it will be as hard as is was.
- More balance improvements:
- Ghost health changed from 2 to 1
- Killer Snake poison strength reduced
- Final boss now attack only at die [6] but inflict 2 damage (reduced difficulty for final battle)
- Some grammar fixes

Edited by Templar, 01 May 2012 - 11:56 PM.

#12 Templar

Templar

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:41 PM

1.4 released
What's new:
- Achievements! - over 30 achievements that can be unlocked through the game. (you get 50xp bonus for every unlocked achievement)
- New Dungeon - 2 new monsters (overall 5 monster encounters).
- New Artifact
- Balance improvements:
- Reduced difficulty in "Loss and Gain" and "Dungeon of Lord Teranis" dungeons
- Ghoul amount of rolled dice reduced from 3 to 2
- Wraith will not cast aura Touch of Death
- Mummy Touch of Death aura timer increased from 6 to 7
- Sahuagin health reduced from 4 to 3
- Vampire attack reduced from hitting on dice 4 to 5
- Orc archer attack reduced from hitting on dice 4 to 6, but now attack with fire arrows
- Boss Lord Teranis "Black Curse" aura time reduced from unlimited to 1-2 turns. But now he attack from the start of the dungeon. After Lord Teranis summons all monsters, his resistance reduced from 3 to 2. This makes him a lot more vulnerable. (All this changes makes Boss Lord Teranis a lot more easier to defeat).
- also fixed bug that takes all your artifact when you find your lost companion. Now you have 2 choices, how to defeat Boss Lord Teranis - with your new companions or your old companions.
- Holy Smite skill - final upgrade for Cleric's skill Holy Smite - now instead of 2 separate attacks, it make one that do 1 additional damage to undead
- Other minor improvements, and bug fixes

#13 Tsn

Tsn

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 282 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:26 AM

Awesome game but there are a few things i find missing.

I'd like to see random dungeon generation. Start with one character with a few skills and along the way find more skills and characters. At the end of the dungeon would be a boss that you have to prepare for. Would give the game lots of replayability.

Seems a bit hard to get started. It's near impossible to beat the first dungeon without dying. Maybe there should be a preperation dungeon or a resurrection spell at start and random encounters to gain more experience or resurrect your party? It's discoraging to die at least 2 times to get your game started. After that it's easy though.

Typo at the start of the game. "You seems to be hit". It should be "You seem to be hit".

Enemy attacks should be limited. At least no more then 2 attacks at the beginning.

You shouldn't be able to heal a character that already has full health.

Everyone died but the game didn't end and i could still roll the die and i couldn't target anyone with enemy attacks.

Maybe add a mode that makes the game action based? Enemies attack you based on time but you attack as fast as you make your moves.

I'm sure i'd have more suggestions if i'd play more.

Edited by Tsn, 31 May 2012 - 09:05 AM.

#14 Templar

Templar

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:08 PM

I'd like to see random dungeon generation. Start with one character with a few skills and along the way find more skills and characters. At the end of the dungeon would be a boss that you have to prepare for. Would give the game lots of replayability.

Seems a bit hard to get started. It's near impossible to beat the first dungeon without dying. Maybe there should be a preperation dungeon or a resurrection spell at start and random encounters to gain more experience or resurrect your party? It's discoraging to die at least 2 times to get your game started. After that it's easy though.

Typo at the start of the game. "You seems to be hit". It should be "You seem to be hit".

Enemy attacks should be limited. At least no more then 2 attacks at the beginning.

Everyone died but the game didn't end and i could still roll the die and i couldn't target anyone with enemy attacks.

Maybe add a mode that makes the game action based? Enemies attack you based on time but you attack as fast as you make your moves.

Thanks for a comment.
At the present I'm working at random generated dungeon survival mode. So yes, it's on my top todo list.

What monster caused you the most problems? If it's "boss" who was killing you, I definitively can make him less powerful.

>>You shouldn't be able to heal a character that already has full health.
There is a problems lies with it. If I will prevent you from healing healthy characters, what will happen if you cast a healing aura and you have no character to heal? (and preventing casting all healing auras, is not the best solution, because we have "Statues" that will cast healing auras no matter what. Well, this is what they do...).

>>Typo at the start of the game. "You seems to be hit". It should be "You seem to be hit".
Thx, I will fix in next version. Please report more grammar problems.

>>Everyone died but the game didn't end and i could still roll the die and i couldn't target anyone with enemy attacks.
Some kind a bug I never encountered... Report if this will happen again.

>>Maybe add a mode that makes the game action based? Enemies attack you based on time but you attack as fast as you make your moves.
Interesting idea. But I wonder what will happens with the strategic decisions...
Right now, your characters are at low level, so I guess there is not much options for you in battle, but when you level up, there will definitely be more strategy involved.

#15 NicholasJames2378

NicholasJames2378

GMC Member

• 23 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

This post has been removed.

Edited by NicholasJames2378, 08 June 2012 - 11:48 PM.

#16 Tsn

Tsn

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 282 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:29 PM

Thanks for a comment.
At the present I'm working at random generated dungeon survival mode. So yes, it's on my top todo list.

What monster caused you the most problems? If it's "boss" who was killing you, I definitively can make him less powerful.

>>You shouldn't be able to heal a character that already has full health.
There is a problems lies with it. If I will prevent you from healing healthy characters, what will happen if you cast a healing aura and you have no character to heal? (and preventing casting all healing auras, is not the best solution, because we have "Statues" that will cast healing auras no matter what. Well, this is what they do...).

>>Typo at the start of the game. "You seems to be hit". It should be "You seem to be hit".
Thx, I will fix in next version. Please report more grammar problems.

>>Everyone died but the game didn't end and i could still roll the die and i couldn't target anyone with enemy attacks.
Some kind a bug I never encountered... Report if this will happen again.

>>Maybe add a mode that makes the game action based? Enemies attack you based on time but you attack as fast as you make your moves.
Interesting idea. But I wonder what will happens with the strategic decisions...
Right now, your characters are at low level, so I guess there is not much options for you in battle, but when you level up, there will definitely be more strategy involved.

It wasn't the boss that was difficult. What made it difficult was that there were so many enemies that attacked too many times in a row (they could kill my party with one lucky attack) and no way to heal my party.

#17 Templar

Templar

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:42 PM

It wasn't the boss that was difficult. What made it difficult was that there were so many enemies that attacked too many times in a row (they could kill my party with one lucky attack) and no way to heal my party.

I'm sure you just was very unlucky. And this happens, it is a dice (luck) driven game.
What I can do, is to reduce enemies in the boss fight.

Im interested in making an rpg in game maker (with yours as my inspiration) but i dont think its possible. im trying it in gm8. which version of game maker did you use? (i can use 7 pro, 8 pro, and 8.1 standard). if you could tell me, that would really help me out. that was i would know which version it is possible with.

8.1 standard is very nice, I'm having great time working with it.
The only suggestion I could give, if you have possibility - GM:Studio is the way to go (or wait for 9.0 standard, as this will be cheap version of GM:Studio). After I programmed my game in 8.1, it's really hard to transform it to new GM:Studio standards, I found that many things must be rewritten. But if you have no plans for multiplatforming, 8.1 standard is the best choice.
Don't forget to add me for beta testing of your game ;)

Edited by Templar, 31 May 2012 - 09:27 PM.

#18 Tsn

Tsn

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 282 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:55 AM

Maybe you should /2 the amount of attacks enemies can do based on their health? If enemies have 4 health they can do 2 attacks maximum, if they have 5 health they can do 3 attacks maximum because i think it should round up.

#19 AlaskaGames

AlaskaGames

I am nicer than you

• GMC Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:15 AM

looks cool!
might download... :yes:

#20 Templar

Templar

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:58 PM

Maybe you should /2 the amount of attacks enemies can do based on their health? If enemies have 4 health they can do 2 attacks maximum, if they have 5 health they can do 3 attacks maximum because i think it should round up.

Hmm, this might be a good idea. But what about enemies hitting (for example) on [2],[3],[4],[5],[6]? I understand that it's a really bad luck if enemy that hit on [6], will roll 4 dice, and make more then 2 hits. But, an enemy that hit on [2],[3],[4],[5],[6] should most likely make 4 hits.

Having this in mind, this is what I made:
If an enemy will make more hits than a half of the dice rolls. Those dice (that are "hit") will be re-rolled once.
Example: enemy just rolled: [6],[6],[6],[6] - two last dice will be re-rolled. For an enemy that will hit only on [6], it will be unlikely that re-rolled dice will be [6] again.
For an enemy that hit on multiple dice, this might help, but with less possibility.

I called this method - soft, as there may still be "hits" even after re-rolls. I did not tested it enough (but I liked the results I had), so I will post it here for everyone who want to try it:
Delve the Dungeon Crawler 1.4 soft check

Tell me if you liked it. If you feel this method is not enough, I might make a hard block of any hits that are beyond /2, but I'm not sure about enemies that hit on multiple dice.

Edited by Templar, 02 June 2012 - 06:17 PM.

#21 mikee

mikee

BAZINGA

• GMC Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:27 AM

Sounds fun :) Deserves a play :thumbsup:

#22 Tsn

Tsn

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 282 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:43 AM

I made through the first dungeon on my first try this time.

Is there any way to resurrect your party members?

#23 Templar

Templar

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:01 PM

I made through the first dungeon on my first try this time.

Is there any way to resurrect your party members?

Yes. Cleric and Druid will learn how to resurrect (Cleric on lvl 4, Druid on lvl 5).
You will find resurrection potions and resurrection artifacts in later dungeons.
Statue (very rarely) can resurrect dead member.

Sounds fun :) Deserves a play :thumbsup:

Give a comment when you have a play.

#24 Tsn

Tsn

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 282 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:46 AM

Since i have been playing the game for a while and i'm not sure what i should comment on or suggest, is there anything specific you'd want feedback on?

Edited by Tsn, 05 June 2012 - 11:34 AM.

#25 mikee

mikee

BAZINGA

• GMC Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:13 AM

Have spare time to give it a play (sorry I've been having problems with downloading files). I'll post when a play has been had :thumbsup:

EDIT: Actually, realised it's hosted on MediaFirem which is blocked on my laptop. Sorry :/

Edited by ThatRandomGuy, 05 June 2012 - 11:14 AM.

#26 Templar

Templar

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:53 PM

Since i have been playing the game for a while and i'm not sure what i should comment on or suggest, is there anything specific you'd want feedback on?

What I really need is some comments on game balance. What dungeons was too easy, what dungeons was too hard, which encounters do you think were the hardest(in a bad way)/unbalanced.

#27 hallsofvallhalla

hallsofvallhalla

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:25 PM

hey, have not logged in here in a looong time but had to log in to tell you I love the game. very addicting but one thing that is killing me is the Loss and Gain level. It is basically impossible to beat. I can get all the way to the last guy with all health and potions remaining and rolling 7-9 die and die every time. All of my players are levels 5-6 an still incredibly hard. The final guy doing 2 damage per hit just destroys the group. At max you will have 10 - 15 health in all the group and he can do that in one turn by himself. Not including all the other guys. Not only that the druid is useless. His ability is not worth using and when you are at last guy you have 7 or 8 die so makes his ability even more useless.

It is a major imbalance in my opinion but other than that I LOVE the game and this is coming from a seasoned game developer.

#28 Templar

Templar

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:29 AM

hey, have not logged in here in a looong time but had to log in to tell you I love the game. very addicting but one thing that is killing me is the Loss and Gain level. It is basically impossible to beat. I can get all the way to the last guy with all health and potions remaining and rolling 7-9 die and die every time. All of my players are levels 5-6 an still incredibly hard. The final guy doing 2 damage per hit just destroys the group. At max you will have 10 - 15 health in all the group and he can do that in one turn by himself. Not including all the other guys. Not only that the druid is useless. His ability is not worth using and when you are at last guy you have 7 or 8 die so makes his ability even more useless.

It is a major imbalance in my opinion but other than that I LOVE the game and this is coming from a seasoned game developer.

Thanks for the feedback. Glad you liked the game!
I made a fix, I think this will help you. I tested it many times, and I was able to defeat Cave Troll with having only an artifact and resurrection potion - 8 out of 10 times. I'm sure more potions will increase chances.
I agree, druid is pretty weak and you can't rely on him in critical situations. But in a long battle, you will definitely have a good chance to throw his cure wounds spell, just don't lose this chance. (Druid will become a lot more helpful in later dungeons (when he will level up))
Please inform me if you will have more problems with Cave Troll or any other monster.

1.41 released
What's new:
Implemented a check, that reduce chances for enemies to roll very high quantity of hits in a single roll
- Balance improvements:
- Cave Troll amount of rolled dice reduced from 6 to 5, Regeneration reduced from 3 points of damage to 2. All surrounding Goblins are now Weak Goblins.
- Also fixed very rare and strange bug, when Cave Troll makes one of the Goblins immortal.

#29 hallsofvallhalla

hallsofvallhalla

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:08 PM

- Also fixed very rare and strange bug, when Cave Troll makes one of the Goblins immortal.

haha I love when this happens when developing, some random thing that almost makes the game have a mind of its own.

Thanks for the fixes. Big fan of the game.

#30 hallsofvallhalla

hallsofvallhalla

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:54 PM

The balance is still way out. The druid still stinks and I have leveled him up real high. Ranger and Paladin do not do anything for me either. They are no where equal to the Fighter and Thief. I die every time in Pursuit. It is hard to level the Ranger and Paladin when you have to get them over and over every time you die. When I do get a new level I have the fighter and theif and they are maxed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: puzzle, adventure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users