1831 replies to this topic

#421 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 8981 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

According to the discussion, it might be "tranquility"... of course, last time I made a game after a guess, the actual theme was "LIFE" and I picked "FISH". Fish with guns, but still it was a bit off.

I think the whole idea of making a tranquil game is quite interesting, since video games are all about making a player immersed in the action... and tranquility is lack of action. This could provide some interesting concepts if done right.

Maybe a FPS game without the S part? Perhaps a game where you just explore a garden or something and try to... find all the stuff you need to enjoy a tranquil afternoon? Like a bird to listen to (or a Guns n' Roses CD), a soda, and a cushion. I've heard that associating tranquility with small chirping tweeting birds is in our genes, some something with recorded sparrows and nightingales and stuff would be a good place to start. (Maybe a Space Invaders clone but with birds? =P)

To make a really good tranquility game, I think the best way to start off is to ask yourself "what do I like to do when playing a video game" and then remove all those things from the game concept you've planned. :P

#422 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

I want to play a game that's First Person Hopscotch.
This is my contribution to your idea, somehow.

#423 Snail_Man

Snail_Man

Level Builder

• GMC Member
  • 1512 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

I want to play a game that's First Person Hopscotch.
This is my contribution to your idea, somehow.

?
I don't get it. How would the game distinguish a single-foot-jump from a double-foot-jump? And how would you add the whole concept of "Balance" to the game?

Nah, I don't see it.

EDIT: Typo...

Edited by Snail_Man, 23 April 2012 - 12:45 PM.

#424 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

A different button for one jump to double legged jump, and balance will be done through, you guessed it, coding! :thumbsup: (This has been your immensely helpful reply by motg)

#425 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3185 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

Maybe a FPS game without the S part? Perhaps a game where you just explore a garden or something and try to... find all the stuff you need to enjoy a tranquil afternoon?

There's a gap in the market appearing here... FPGE, First Person Garden Explorers, pioneered right here on the GMC :thumbsup:

#426 Snail_Man

Snail_Man

Level Builder

• GMC Member
  • 1512 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

Maybe a FPS game without the S part? Perhaps a game where you just explore a garden or something and try to... find all the stuff you need to enjoy a tranquil afternoon?

There's a gap in the market appearing here... FPGE, First Person Garden Explorers, pioneered right here on the GMC :thumbsup:

:o

#427 creativebunch

creativebunch

The Bunchiest

• GMC Member
  • 901 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:17 PM

Calm puzzle games are the ones that make me tranquil, something with no time limit, doesn't require a lot of movement and is easy to understand. Basically a game I can play while still concentrating on the tv :biggrin: (my favourite would be solitaire)

#428 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9331 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:17 PM

If the theme is tranquility then I'm lucky, since puzzle games are my specialty and it's incredibly easy to make a tranquil puzzler! But watch it not be tranquility and the real theme is something entirely unconducive to puzzles :( .

Hey, Yal, you should make a point-and-click adventure, but every time you find an item, it plays a really loud sound effect that annoys everyone. Just so you can play a sample of Welcome to the Jungle when you collect the G'n'R CD :P . And then make it so there's no way to win so people spend their time collecting things and getting frustrated when they can no longer progress ;) .

-IMP

#429 HayManMarc

HayManMarc

The HayMan

• GMC Member
  • 1284 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

My goal is to have a COMPLETED game this jam. :)

#430 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 22258 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

(Sigh)... You guys really shouldn't assume that you know the theme until it is announced. All you are doing is preparing yourself to think one way when you may have to think another! Posted Image

#431 Snail_Man

Snail_Man

Level Builder

• GMC Member
  • 1512 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

Hey, I never assumed anything. (In fact I was the one who hinted that TV might be leading us on)

Speaking of TV, weren't we promised another letter today? :whistle:

#432 HayManMarc

HayManMarc

The HayMan

• GMC Member
  • 1284 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

@Snail_Man - yes, TV said Monday, no matter what.

BTW, what's that chat link, and where's the countdown timer again?

Edit = typo

Edited by HayManMarc, 23 April 2012 - 03:47 PM.

#433 creativebunch

creativebunch

The Bunchiest

• GMC Member
  • 901 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

@Snail_Man - yes, TV said Monday, no matter what.

BTW, what's that chat link, and where's the countdown timer again?

Edit = typo

The chat link is a link to a chat... Primarily for GameMaker.
The link to the countdown timer is just below the chat link.

#434 HayManMarc

HayManMarc

The HayMan

• GMC Member
  • 1284 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

Thanks creativebunch, but where are they? Can someone please post the links?

#435 Snail_Man

Snail_Man

Level Builder

• GMC Member
  • 1512 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

Thanks creativebunch, but where are they? Can someone please post the links?

They're both in the first post, but sure.

Chat
http://talkwith.thegmc.com/

clock
http://nocturnegames...CJam_Clock.html

#436 HayManMarc

HayManMarc

The HayMan

• GMC Member
  • 1284 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

Thanks, Snail_Man. Forgive my temporary blindness, I see it on the first post now. Sucks to get old. :P

#437 CaptainLepidus

CaptainLepidus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 850 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

To make a really good tranquility game, I think the best way to start off is to ask yourself "what do I like to do when playing a video game" and then remove all those things from the game concept you've planned. :P

The issue with that for me is that I like the tranquil moments, like taking time to explore interesting scenery. What always irked me about some games is the beautiful backgrounds outside the playing area that you can never explore... Take CellFactor: Psychokinetic Wars. That was a good game, but a lot of the time I spent on the map "Storage Facility" was just staring at the unreachable, vast areas outside the level. Maybe I'm weird. I don't know. All I do know is that I'd like to make a game where you could explore all the little areas.

Anyway, I have an idea for a game to make this jam. Don't know if it will fit the theme or not so I may or may not do it.

Edited by CaptainLepidus, 23 April 2012 - 07:05 PM.

#438 Furritus

Furritus

Just another Ferret

• GMC Member
  • 285 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:47 PM

shoot, maybe ill go and crack the handicap right now...

#439 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 22258 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

Anyway, I have an idea for a game to make this jam. Don't know if it will fit the theme or not so I may or may not do it.

The theme is not obligatory, and if you don't mind winning and not picking the next theme you can make your game...

#440 11clock

11clock

Christian Pacifist

• GMC Member
  • 2183 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:46 PM

I'm not going to join this jam if the theme is tranquility or anything that forces me to make a casual game. Casual games are not my cup of tea, thank you.

#441 CaptainLepidus

CaptainLepidus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 850 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:53 PM

I'm not going to join this jam if the theme is tranquility or anything that forces me to make a casual game. Casual games are not my cup of tea, thank you.

I don't think you understand what a "casual game" is. It's one that doesn't require hours and hours to play. Casual games can be action-packed, and there's no reason non-casual games should be.

And yeah, Nocturne, but the chance to pick the theme is half the fun Posted Image

#442 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9331 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:59 PM

I don't think you understand what a "casual game" is. It's one that doesn't require hours and hours to play. Casual games can be action-packed, and there's no reason non-casual games should be.

And yeah, Nocturne, but the chance to pick the theme is half the fun Posted Image

Heck, if I ever won, I'd make the theme something like "To Be Announced" so everybody freaks out at first, thinking there's no theme yet :lol: . I'm evil :devil: .

-IMP

*EDIT* Or (God help us) "Discord". That's just setting it up for mind-numbing insanity. And possibly ponies. Insane ponies...let's hope I never win :P .

Edited by IceMetalPunk, 23 April 2012 - 10:01 PM.

#443 11clock

11clock

Christian Pacifist

• GMC Member
  • 2183 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:08 PM

But still, I can't work with such a theme. If this happens to be the theme, however, I think I have an idea for a game that, instead of following the theme, mocks the theme instead. :P

#444 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9331 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:11 PM

But still, I can't work with such a theme. If this happens to be the theme, however, I think I have an idea for a game that, instead of following the theme, mocks the theme instead. :P

Mockery of the theme is still incorporating the theme...just so you know ;) . So it would still apply and you'd get to pick the next theme. See? Thinking outside the box is fun :thumbsup: .

-IMP

#445 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2254 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:14 PM

...let's hope I never win :P .

Yes, let's.

#446 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:14 PM

Yeah, if you don't want to make a tranquil game - just set up a story about how the world used to be tranquil until such and such happened, and send the player on a mission to defeat the force that ruined the tranquillity. Basically just steal Rayman 1's plot.

#447 Snail_Man

Snail_Man

Level Builder

• GMC Member
  • 1512 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

Tranquility doesn't exactly "force" you to make a casual game. It just sort of encourages it.

EDIT: super ninja'd

Edited by Snail_Man, 23 April 2012 - 10:19 PM.

#448 Ysmor

Ysmor

GMC Member

• 84 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

Maybe make a line somewhere saying ("See that tranquil moon in the distance, yea - no-one lives their!")
::lmao::

#449 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3185 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

I'm actually really looking forward to this jam! Really want to enter, and really want to play the games afterwards!

Can't say for sure how long I'll be able to play each game for, or even if I'll be able to play them all, but I'll *aim* to do several each night because I feel if I enter, I owe it to everyone else who enters to try their games! If I don't manage to play them all, then I apologise in advance, but at least I'm making my intentions clear :turned:

#450 Furritus

Furritus

Just another Ferret

• GMC Member
  • 285 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

The theme is not forced at all. And its open to interpretation, tranquility for someone may mean a bloodbath of bunnies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users