#451 Yal

Yal

Obviously not Tsuka

• Global Moderators
  • 11281 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

I have a million ideas for that!*

Oh, you found it! It means you too are using the White forum theme! :)

Ah, forbidding some game design elements! I should've thought about that! That's a good idea, it really opens up for more or less everything... plus it's harder to adapt a pre-existant game to the handicaps afterwards with a handicap like that.

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines: (all completely free to use, even commercially, as long as you replace all included graphics / music first).
SisterEngine RPG Engine - - YaruFPS 3D Collision Engine -- YaruPlatEngine Platform Engine

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#452 creativebunch

creativebunch

The Bunchiest

• GMC Member
  • 902 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:23 AM

I have a million ideas for that!*

Oh, you found it! It means you too are using the White forum theme! :)

The text is in black, and the standard theme background is dark grey... We can all see it :sweat:

Edited by creativebunch, 25 April 2012 - 08:24 AM.

#gmc - It's the goddamn GMC IRC
Beat Hell Pre-Alpha v2.1.0 | Slender2d | Creeping Insanity

indiedb_88x31.png

buXyYwQ.png
I am looking for a pixel artist/animator to team up with me to work on some games. Send me a message if interested.

#453 Yal

Yal

Obviously not Tsuka

• Global Moderators
  • 11281 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:34 AM

...WHAT?! Rats, I thought black was invisible (white is pretty invisible in the white forum board)... I'll change it do dark gray and take a note.

Noted down that the background color is #3A3A3A after some tests with MS Paint.

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Spoiler

Some useful game engines: (all completely free to use, even commercially, as long as you replace all included graphics / music first).
SisterEngine RPG Engine - - YaruFPS 3D Collision Engine -- YaruPlatEngine Platform Engine

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#454 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 24696 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:35 AM

I think a cool handicap would be "must use two views"... People seldom use more than one view, but they can be used to achieve some really interesting effects! oh, and....

THREE DAYS TO GO, PEOPLE!

lz6lxdC.pngd7ZQQ3F.gifFlvJzyf.png

40799.png

#455 creativebunch

creativebunch

The Bunchiest

• GMC Member
  • 902 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:45 AM

THREE DAYS TO GO, PEOPLE!

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

#gmc - It's the goddamn GMC IRC
Beat Hell Pre-Alpha v2.1.0 | Slender2d | Creeping Insanity

indiedb_88x31.png

buXyYwQ.png
I am looking for a pixel artist/animator to team up with me to work on some games. Send me a message if interested.

#456 dadio

dadio

I miss my cupcake

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2327 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

TEH CAPSLOCK HAZ RETURND!!! ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

Also, totally off-topic: @creativebunch: Ebichu RAWKS.

Also, back on topic:
Jam.
Yes, I'm quite partial to strawberry Jam.

2a7ubuv.jpg

#457 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

If I was choosing the handicap, it would be "no using text within the first 30 seconds of game start".

book_forum.png

#458 mAnIk800

mAnIk800

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 274 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

Just contacted Ysmor to see if he got a team yet :)
Havent tried one of these comps so keen to give it a go and meet some new people :)

Just so i know, im from new zealand so my time zone is gmt+12, when i change my time zone to gmt it says its the same time?
Is this right and is a day behind or infront?

Sorry for silly question i jsut cant work it out.

Logo_Ful_zps204959c5.png

Friendly Rates so Indie Gamers can have great graphics too!

www.themicrominis.com

#459 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Octagon-Man

• GMC Member
  • 7548 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

If I was choosing the handicap, it would be "no using text within the first 30 seconds of game start".

Easy. 30 second action packed opening cutscene before the menu. ;)

Awesome-120110725-22047-1faqsqh.gif?131124npmp3.png Awesome-120110725-22047-1faqsqh.gif?1311

Mirrors Avatar by Stubbjax1337. 3000. 3999. 4444. Karoshi 2.0 custom levels. religious belief time: christian
http://ask.fm/AnUntitledAbridger

#460 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9424 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

Unfortunately I wont have time to enter the jam, so I'll instead help you guys out by revealing the theme. Through statistical calculations and astrology, I have deduced that the theme will be either "crackaddict" (52% probability), "orangejuice" (30% probability), or "graylemming" (7% probability).

#461 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3242 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

Just so i know, im from new zealand so my time zone is gmt+12, when i change my time zone to gmt it says its the same time?
Is this right and is a day behind or infront?

Sorry for silly question i jsut cant work it out.

You've probably got your clock set as a 12 hour clock; NZ is 12 hours ahead of GMT, so at the moment it is 10:30am GMT, and 22:30 NZ time; or 10:30am GMT, 10:30pm NZ :thumbsup:

Edit: So that means that:

"72 hours long from 00:01 AM GMT Saturday 28th ...to... 23:59 PM GMT Monday 30th"

In your local NZ time, the jam wil start at 12:01pm on saturday 28th (ie, just after midday), and end at 11:59am on tuesday 1st (ie, just before midday).

Edited by Soulsnatcher, 25 April 2012 - 10:35 AM.

#462 mAnIk800

mAnIk800

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 274 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:42 AM

Thanks for that :)

Logo_Ful_zps204959c5.png

Friendly Rates so Indie Gamers can have great graphics too!

www.themicrominis.com

#463 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Octagon-Man

• GMC Member
  • 7548 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

I have deduced that the theme will be either "crackaddict" (52% probability), "orangejuice" (30% probability), or "graylemming" (7% probability).

So, the other 11% is just up in the air, then?

Awesome-120110725-22047-1faqsqh.gif?131124npmp3.png Awesome-120110725-22047-1faqsqh.gif?1311

Mirrors Avatar by Stubbjax1337. 3000. 3999. 4444. Karoshi 2.0 custom levels. religious belief time: christian

#464 Yal

Yal

Obviously not Tsuka

• Global Moderators
  • 11281 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

People seldom use more than one view, but they can be used to achieve some really interesting effects!

Like...?

I think a big drawback with that handicap is that it's quite easy for people to just put the HUD in the second view and call it a day... of course it won't net them many votes for an interesting concept :P.

Spoiler

#465 ziggler1

ziggler1

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 378 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

Make a game only in D&d

Pfff-hahaha, that is the funniest idea I have heard for a handicap.

#466 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9603 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

A really hard theme (oops) restriction, that would still be accessible for beginners, would be "Make a game only in D&d" :blink:

Oh, Mother of God. I haven't used D&D in many years. If that were the restriction, I'd never be able to submit anything because it would take me forever just to figure out what actions do what. Plus, AFAIK, there are no actions for data structures, which I often heavily rely on.

Ugh. No. Please, by the Seven Gods, no.

About the theme, though...graylemming and orangejuice would both be interesting. I think I could even manage graylemming without a Lemmings clone :P .

-IMP

:GM123: Are you an artist who likes creating original creature designs? Maybe you can help out with Elementa here! Give it a look; you might like the idea :)

:bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny:

#467 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3242 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:33 PM

A really hard theme (oops) restriction, that would still be accessible for beginners, would be "Make a game only in D&d" :blink:

Oh, Mother of God. I haven't used D&D in many years. If that were the restriction, I'd never be able to submit anything because it would take me forever just to figure out what actions do what. Plus, AFAIK, there are no actions for data structures, which I often heavily rely on.

Ugh. No. Please, by the Seven Gods, no.

Does the "execute code" action not count as D&D :whistle:

#468 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2259 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

Does the "execute code" action not count as D&D :whistle:

Suddenly the D&D restriction doesn't sound so bad :whistle: (+1)

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#469 Yal

Yal

Obviously not Tsuka

• Global Moderators
  • 11281 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

Um, guys... the only way to execute code thus far IS the D&D Execute Code action.

Spoiler

#470 TheSnidr

TheSnidr

Heavy metal viking dentist

• Global Moderators
  • 3242 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

Um, guys... the only way to execute code thus far IS the D&D Execute Code action.

I'm considering making a game with only scripts and room creation code just to prove you wrong :D

#471 Yal

Yal

Obviously not Tsuka

• Global Moderators
  • 11281 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

*facepalm*

Oh, ICC and RCC... I of all people forgetting about those (I use them a lot!)... perhaps I should go get some sleep instead of hanging around here. -____-*

Spoiler

#472 GameDevDan

GameDevDan

The Shol'va

• Global Moderators
  • 1345 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

A restriction of no text in the entire game seems like it would be cool. Especially if the theme is "tranquility" as suggested by some people.

#473 Yal

Yal

Obviously not Tsuka

• Global Moderators
  • 11281 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

The bad thing with that is that it's hard to convey information to the player without text... like controls. I prefer to use text since I'm lazy, drawing informative images is too much work.

As for tranquilitiy... I think I'm gonna do a game without enemies altogether. When nothing's trying to kill you constantly you typically get quite calm... and it's gonna be a nice experience that's different from my typical approach of putting in enemies for the sole purpose of slowing down the player's progress through a room. Might add in some spiketraps or lava though just in case.

Spoiler

#474 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2259 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

The bad thing with that is that it's hard to convey information to the player without text... like controls.

One way to do it is with something like this :0

Posted Image

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#475 connor4312

connor4312

www.connorpeet.com

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

A restriction of no text in the entire game seems like it would be cool. Especially if the theme is "tranquility" as suggested by some people.

That reminds me of a project I did (or was going to) do a game for www.experimentalgameplay.com. The challenge was to use only text. I was going to basically overlay a bunch of text and color and cut out graphics from that. So I made this to automatically make some text. There are parameters "width", "height", "number", "minsize", "maxsize", "minangle" and "maxangle". You can play around with it to get some cool stuff like this. Anyway, just wanted to put that out there if anyone finds it useful :3. To get the source click here.

Edited by connor4312, 25 April 2012 - 03:27 PM.

Posted Image

#476 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3242 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

The bad thing with that is that it's hard to convey information to the player without text... like controls.

Posted Image

That almost conveys the controls better than text does!

I like to write the text and draw the keys (although I think I only ever did this in my first ever game release :lol: ) I think, if the jame permits it, I'll write and draw!

#477 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 538 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:50 PM

If this Handicap goes over well, who will be choosing next time? As in, which place? I doubt we will have a tie for first. :P

#478 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9603 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

Sophia's Spirits was originally going to use background glyphs to indicate the controls, a la Wario Land 4. Then someone (I won't name names :whistle:) said it would be hard for people to understand, so we switched to text instructions. When it was released, at least one person complained they didn't like the text :lol: . Ah, well, you can't please everyone... But I think whatever the handicap may be, it'll be simple to incorporate. The theme is the part I'm most worried about.

And we have no idea what it is yet, despite people assuming it's tranquility :P .

-IMP

:GM123: Are you an artist who likes creating original creature designs? Maybe you can help out with Elementa here! Give it a look; you might like the idea :)

:bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny:

#479 CaptainLepidus

CaptainLepidus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 850 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

No one let TV tie for first! Posted Image

"The reason programming is addictive is the same reason a good game is addictive: it constantly feeds you with a sense of minor accomplishment on your way to [achieving] the greater goal."

Yal

Planning to build a network of like-minded, innovative GameMaker developers, connected by a set of tools for building awesome games. Interested? PM me.

#480 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2259 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:33 PM

No one let TV tie for first! Posted Image

K.

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png

#481 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:38 PM

If I had to make a handicap - it would probably be that the game has to delete itself whenever the player dies.

I think it would add a touch of diversity to a gaming market that is frankly undersaturated with games that take a fun concept and tag realism on.

Edited by Docopoper, 25 April 2012 - 07:56 PM.

The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

The destination is much harder to reach when you don't want to walk towards it.

#482 CaptainLepidus

CaptainLepidus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 850 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

If I had to make a handicap - it would probably be that the game has to delete itself whenever the player dies.

I think it would add a touch of diversity to a gaming market that is frankly undersaturated with games that take a fun concept and tag realism on.

That's not creativity, that's being a jerk. They can just re-download it anyway, so why go to the trouble?

"The reason programming is addictive is the same reason a good game is addictive: it constantly feeds you with a sense of minor accomplishment on your way to [achieving] the greater goal."

Yal

Planning to build a network of like-minded, innovative GameMaker developers, connected by a set of tools for building awesome games. Interested? PM me.

#483 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Octagon-Man

• GMC Member
  • 7548 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:50 PM

The bad thing with that is that it's hard to convey information to the player without text... like controls. I prefer to use text since I'm lazy, drawing informative images is too much work.

Voice acting! Just make the narrator yell it at the player. :thumbsup:

NOW WHAT YOU'RE GONNA DO, IS PRESS D FOR MOVING TO THE RIGHT, A FOR MOVING TO THE LEFT, DO YOU HEAR ME!?!?!?

EDIT:

It would be funnier if you had taken a 180 there and actually said what it would be.

I think it would add a touch of diversity to a gaming market that is frankly undersaturated with games that take a fun concept and tag frustrating bull**** onto it. Punish the fools who would dare play a GMC Jam game!

Edited by makerofthegames, 25 April 2012 - 06:52 PM.

#484 ziggler1

ziggler1

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 378 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:01 PM

Posted Image

what kind of keyboard do you have... :blink:

#485 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2259 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

Mai keeboarb ha5 a11 the ne55e5arrie kees

ebit: f1Xeb

Edited by orange08, 25 April 2012 - 07:14 PM.

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png

#486 CaptainLepidus

CaptainLepidus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 850 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:14 PM

Nocturne, suggestion for countdown clock.
Add a within-page IRC link. Be something like:
<script type='text\javascript'>
function openIrc()
{
document.getElementById("irc").innerHTML="<iframe src='talkwith.thegmc.com' width='200' height='200'></iframe>";
}
</script>
<a href='' onclick='openIrc();'>In Page</a>
<div id="irc">
</div>
Untested but that's the general idea.

Edited by CaptainLepidus, 25 April 2012 - 07:15 PM.

Yal

#487 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Octagon-Man

• GMC Member
  • 7548 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

Would be more interesting if you only omitted the keys that were omitted on the keyboard, such as;
opklbnm[]\;',./1234567890
plus any kind of line break

I need to stop critiquing other people's hilarious posts. :unsure:

#488 ziggler1

ziggler1

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 378 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

I can only imagine what programming would be like... :tongue:

#489 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:37 PM

If I am the one that choose the handicap then, it'll be:
- Don't use your hands when making your game! Use your feet instead!
- Before the game finished you must not eat, but drinking water is allowed!
That'll be the most challenging jam of all time. With "honor system" everything's possible.
Thumb_Jilbab.png96un.pngsssignature.png

#490 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 24696 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

That'll be the most challenging jam of all time. With "honor system" everything's possible.

Honour system? Yeah right! I know your game... kill off the competition so you can win all the prizes! Go on! Admit it!!! Posted Image

Oh and the AWESOME GAMES TOPIC has been posted, so go read the rules so I don't have to kick bottom (?) this time...

40799.png

#491 Furritus

Furritus

Just another Ferret

• GMC Member
  • 287 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

psst nocturne, add me as the first post.

#492 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 24696 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

psst nocturne, add me as the first post.

Psst Furritus, when I get the "you know what" from "you know who"... Okay?

40799.png

#493 Furritus

Furritus

Just another Ferret

• GMC Member
  • 287 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

check your mailbox tomorrow at 0300 - 0426

Edited by Furritus, 25 April 2012 - 07:50 PM.

#494 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 24696 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image

40799.png

#495 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

Honour system? Yeah right! I know your game... kill off the competition so you can win all the prizes! Go on! Admit it!!! Posted Image

Oh and the AWESOME GAMES TOPIC has been posted, so go read the rules so I don't have to kick bottom (?) this time...

You guys all are lucky, because I'm not the one that chooses the handicap.
Woah!! The topic is there!? Only 2 days left for slack off...

Edited by Fihrilkamal, 25 April 2012 - 07:53 PM.

Thumb_Jilbab.png96un.pngsssignature.png

#496 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Octagon-Man

• GMC Member
  • 7548 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image

Note that due to timezones it may be completely off..

#497 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image

It would have been funnier if you'd suggested some sort of ludicrous alternative.

The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

The destination is much harder to reach when you don't want to walk towards it.

#498 Furritus

Furritus

Just another Ferret

• GMC Member
  • 287 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image

It would have been funnier if you'd suggested some sort of ludicrous alternative.

alternative to what? ;)

#499 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9603 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:20 PM

The games topic is already up? :huh: Woah, the Jam is approaching much more quickly than I expected.

If I weren't a mod now, I'd be tempted to post a "Reserved" reply in the games topic, even though I don't know if I'll even be able to enter. But since I have to be a "respectable" member of the community...I guess I won't do that. :( :P

-IMP

#500 Furritus

Furritus

Just another Ferret

• GMC Member
  • 287 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

good choice imp.. good choice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users