3 replies to this topic

#1 AlexTM

AlexTM

GMC Member?

• GMC:Member
  • 1437 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:41 AM

I was thinking. Is it possible to make a multiplayer game (LAN only) through .ini or .txt or whatever files?

Eg: Everytime something changes in the game, it saves an ini file every 0.3 seconds, the person on the other computer reads the file through the Network folder in there computer.

Another eg:
I am the character, but there is a clone of the other person playing on a different computer on the game on your computer, the movement of that character is the same as the movement on the other computer...

Get me? Is it possible through .ini files and not DLLs?

#2 kelson

kelson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:51 AM

try looking at the mplay functions in the help file of gamemaker. unless you are using html5 or gm studio i dont think they have mplay.

#3 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 6409 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:54 AM

I believe it is possible, yes. I remember seeing a tutorial doing something like this in the tutorial forum. ('Unregistered multiplayer'). I think it was a chat client, or something.

It'd be pretty slow. Would work for chat, and turn-based games (chess, checkers, card games, etc) but you wouldn't be able to accurately, or very quickly make it work for an action game.

Edit: Can't find the link to that tutorial. Was years ago, probably looong gone. It's not really practical, (although kinda cool!)

#4 AlexTM

AlexTM

GMC Member?

• GMC:Member
  • 1437 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:12 AM

@Kelson..
I was asking if its possible. Not for anything else :rolleyes:.

@Desert Dog
I knew it would of been possible without DLLs or anything like that.. I might try it one day, but like you said, i could just do a chat thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users