14 replies to this topic

#1 D1g1talAli3n

D1g1talAli3n

BoyGenius

• GMC Member
  • 965 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:30 AM

Reflex is a game I started about two years ago, worked on for about a year, then left. I recently decided to resurrect the old project and, as a result have decided to post a demo to the GMC. I'm looking for overall comments about it, like reviews, new ideas, criticisms, etc. I hope you enjoy!

Screenshots
Spoiler

Download
Category: Arcade/Shooter/Platformer/Action
File Size: 10.1 MB
GM Version: GM8.0
Download Link:
YYG Sandbox
Box.net

Controls: Press F1

Please leave feedback! The quality of the game depends on it! :yes:

Note: The class system has been barely started and will be updated with new weapons, character classes and class-specific special abilities later.

Credits

Crispy for his Platform AI & Engine
Various sounds from freesound.org

Currently Working On
  • Class system:

Classes to be added (open to suggestions):

Recon
    Primary: Revolver
    Secondary: Knife
    Special1: Invisibility
    Special2: Short Teleport

Soldier
    Primary: Assault Rifle
    Secondary: Punch
    Special1: Jetpack
    Special2: Sprint

Armored
    Primary: Rocket Launcher
    Secondary: Shotgun
    Special1: Stone Armor
    Special2: Grappling Hook

Sniper
    Primary: Sniper Rifle
    Secondary: Machine Pistol
    Special1: Shield
    Special2: Expulsion Field

Engineer
    Primary: Grenade Launcher
    Secondary: (Unknown?) No Ideas yet.
    Special1: Built Turret/Ammo Station/Health Station
    Special2: EMP

Edited by D1g1talAli3n, 22 November 2013 - 05:43 AM.

Posted Image

#2 gellingworth

gellingworth

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

I had a great time playing this, its a good game so far. I really like the visual style of it and I was also impressed with the AI. Overall good frantic fun :biggrin:

The only issue I had was sometimes I found the mouse quite awkward to control, it jerked about a bit making it hard to aim this could be my mouse sensitivity though. I know you've said about adding more content but it would be good to see more maps, classes and weaponary for definite. Look forward to seeing updates of this in the future.

Keep up the good work!

#3 D1g1talAli3n

D1g1talAli3n

BoyGenius

• GMC Member
  • 965 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

I had a great time playing this, its a good game so far. I really like the visual style of it and I was also impressed with the AI. Overall good frantic fun :biggrin:

The only issue I had was sometimes I found the mouse quite awkward to control, it jerked about a bit making it hard to aim this could be my mouse sensitivity though. I know you've said about adding more content but it would be good to see more maps, classes and weaponary for definite. Look forward to seeing updates of this in the future.

Keep up the good work!

I'm surprised that you thought the AI was impressive :ohmy:
I always thought it was too simple and needed to be fixed. Nice to hear that it is working well indeed! :happy:
About the mouse jerking about, yes it probably has something to do with the sensitivity. When the control options are added I'll make sure to have a sensitivity adjustment bar.

Posted Image

#4 Alvare

Alvare

Not an administrator

• GMC Member
  • 1812 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

I like the style but there's one thing that bothers me about the graphics:
Why is the sky lit by the flashlight? A sky is very distant and shouldn't contain light from the foreground at all.

I know i have an annoying attention to detail but lately i was trying to achieve the same effect and got to the conclusion that this is very hard to get right.
There was an example somewere on how to do this and i looked into the code. The way this was achieved by putting a 2nd draw into the end step and bm_add it to the surface.
But as soon as i the view shifts the shadow draws delay a little and it looks really bad.

Does anyone know what i'm talking about?

Edited by THE_GAME_EDITOR, 10 April 2012 - 03:52 PM.

#5 D1g1talAli3n

D1g1talAli3n

BoyGenius

• GMC Member
  • 965 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:47 PM

I like the style but there's one thing that bothers me about the graphics:
Why is the sky lit by the flashlight? A sky is very distant and shouldn't contain light from the foreground at all.

I know i have an annoying attention to detail but lately i was trying to achieve the same effect and got to the conclusion that this is very hard to get right.
There was an example somewere on how to do this and i looked into the code. The way this was achieved by putting a 2nd draw into the end step and bm_add it to the surface.
But as soon as i the view shifts the shadow draws delay a little and it looks really bad.

Does anyone know what i'm talking about?

It is possible, but as you said, it's a little picky. I'm note sure if adding it will pay off for the amount of resources it will hog up. I can thing of many ways to do this, the most efficient way being to create a stencil of the foreground and background (which is pretty easy in my game because they are both static) and have the lighting only affect the white part of the stencil (using blend modes).

Posted Image

#6 Alvare

Alvare

Not an administrator

• GMC Member
  • 1812 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:39 PM

I can thing of many ways to do this, the most efficient way being to create a stencil of the foreground and background (which is pretty easy in my game because they are both static) and have the lighting only affect the white part of the stencil (using blend modes).

I don't know if it would work. But you should definitely give it a try.

I'm note sure if adding it will pay off for the amount of resources it will hog up.

Yes, you are right. The amount of resources is important. (And fps)
But as you said, there are many ways to make the effect.
And one has to be the best.

#7 D1g1talAli3n

D1g1talAli3n

BoyGenius

• GMC Member
  • 965 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:44 PM

I can thing of many ways to do this, the most efficient way being to create a stencil of the foreground and background (which is pretty easy in my game because they are both static) and have the lighting only affect the white part of the stencil (using blend modes).

I don't know if it would work. But you should definitely give it a try.

I'm note sure if adding it will pay off for the amount of resources it will hog up.

Yes, you are right. The amount of resources is important. (And fps)
But as you said, there are many ways to make the effect.
And one has to be the best.

I will only add this effect if the framerate and current resources allow for it. Quite frankly, I'm pondering the usefulness of the whole lighting system altogether other than just pure eyecandy. Perhaps I will add it but I MUST work on more important gameplay issues (which, I think, is where the game really lacks (unless anyone was to convince me otherwise)) like classes and maps and the whole weapons and abilities framework. Then and only then can I start working on the special effects.

Edited by D1g1talAli3n, 11 April 2012 - 04:46 PM.

Posted Image

#8 Alvare

Alvare

Not an administrator

• GMC Member
  • 1812 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

That's a very good point.
I must admit that i didn't play your game yet.
And i was just judging from the screenshot.

But i will play it now and give you some feedback.

EDIT -

I've played the game and i liked it.
Here's some feedback:

The following things have potential:
-Explosion and shockwave effects are awesome.
-The fast chaotic gameplay is fun.
-Collisions are good. Ragdolls are perfect.
-The dumbness of the enemy. (You shouldn't make them too smart.)

Things i would suggest you to fix or add:
-I think you forgot to delete the ragdoll test which throws an error when pressing the middle mouse button.
-You really should add in some music and funny sound effects when an enemy dies.
-You should fix the window size change when going from the menu and entering the gun selection.
-Maybe it would be cool to put the enemy color on the gun that it is holding too.
-Make the player choose from different day states. (Like morning, day, dusk and night.)

I hope this was helpful for you. Posted Image
And i wish you good luck.

Edited by THE_GAME_EDITOR, 12 April 2012 - 09:55 AM.

#9 D1g1talAli3n

D1g1talAli3n

BoyGenius

• GMC Member
  • 965 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:47 AM

That's a very good point.
I must admit that i didn't play your game yet.
And i was just judging from the screenshot.

But i will play it now and give you some feedback.

EDIT -

I've played the game and i liked it.
Here's some feedback:

The following things have potential:
-Explosion and shockwave effects are awesome.
-The fast chaotic gameplay is fun.
-Collisions are good. Ragdolls are perfect.
-The dumbness of the enemy. (You shouldn't make them too smart.)

Things i would suggest you to fix or add:
-I think you forgot to delete the ragdoll test which throws an error when pressing the middle mouse button.
-You really should add in some music and funny sound effects when an enemy dies.
-You should fix the window size change when going from the menu and entering the gun selection.
-Maybe it would be cool to put the enemy color on the gun that it is holding too.
-Make the player choose from different day states. (Like morning, day, dusk and night.)

I hope this was helpful for you. Posted Image
And i wish you good luck.

Why thank you! and yes it's VERY helpful :smile:
Replying to the fixes:
1. Ah yes, I noticed that yesterday. I didn't think anyone would actually press the middle mouse button :sweat:
2. There are death sound effects, but I think they are too soft to hear. They are not funny however, just general death sounds.
3. Yup, I will, not only that but the whole menu will go out and a new one will come in, along with the new HUD design (which I'm currently working on)
4. I actually never thought of that! Thanks!
5. I was thinking of adding that. Glad to know that it has a demand :happy: It would be quite easy to add, I probably will be adding it with the new menu as an option. Also the ability to change the player name.

And again, thanks! Really it helps a lot to know what the players want.

Posted Image

#10 Alvare

Alvare

Not an administrator

• GMC Member
  • 1812 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

Your welcome! Posted Image

#11 D1g1talAli3n

D1g1talAli3n

BoyGenius

• GMC Member
  • 965 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

Hey guys, I'm trying to decide on an important game factor right now, and I need your help. I hear that you like the visual style, but I want to know if a new, more cartoonish one would be better. Currently the maps and fx are realistic while the players are cartoonish, which has been bothering me for a while, so I decided to try making everything cartoonish. I made some concept art and vectorized some of the maps, so I wanna know what you guys think. Here are some stuff I tried, and in my opinion, the map does look better, but I wanna know what you guys think.
Concept:
Posted Image
Vectorized map: (note the weapons and players aren't fully cartoonified yet, if I were to cartoonify them)
Posted Image

Also, the class weapons are about 95% complete. I'll soon be going to adding the abilities.

Posted Image

#12 CGPM

CGPM

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:18 PM

First:
for object obj_back:

Initialization of the sound system failed!

Then:
for object obj_control:

Trying to use non-existing surface.

Then
for object Pauser:

Trying to use non-existing surface.

#13 CGPM

CGPM

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

Oops, double post.

Edited by CGPM, 27 June 2012 - 04:20 PM.

#14 ionasskopelitis

ionasskopelitis

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:13 PM

i think its one of the best games made with gamemaker an please keep up the good work id love to help if nesecery i have a pretty large gml knolege but you can ignore that if you dont want help, i just had one problem i didnt like the arrows for the room choose thingy i just didnt think they fit well in the game but further than that its the best gamemaker game ive ever seen and one of my favorite games

Good luck, ionas

Edited by ionasskopelitis, 03 November 2012 - 10:14 PM.

#15 Lewis X

Lewis X

Artist

• GMC Member
  • 1050 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

Woah, that was AI? I was sure this was an online game for a while. Nice!