#1 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• Retired Staff
  • 5199 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

Posted Image

UPDATE: Ludum Dare has now started finished! The theme was: "Tiny World" :)

I made a post about this the last time the 48 hour game development competition 'Ludum Dare' was hosted, and it was great to see so many GameMaker users get involved. Nearly 1000 games were created in just 48 hours, based around a community-chosen theme!

On April 20th-23rd, Ludum Dare is hosting it's 10 year anniversary event, and this competition is bound to be the biggest yet. Developers can enter using any tool, including GameMaker which has proven to be particularly suitable for this type of event.

It's an amazing social experience that is entertaining, challenging, and unique. Both novice users and pros can take a lot away from this competition, and having entered myself I would highly recommend it for all.

Check out the Ludum Dare website for more information.

I hope to see a LOT of you there...this year Ludum Dare will be massive, it's something no game developer should miss!

#2 Furritus

Furritus

Just another Ferret

• GMC Member
  • 285 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

woot! ill try to join it... just need to learn a few more things is all

#3 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7521 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

So they're not happening at precisely the same time this time? Great! :biggrin: I might consider joining perhaps maybe. :ninja:

#4 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 19899 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

I'd say that I will join, but you all know that it'd be a lie... However, I will have some spare time so I might be able to give it a go this time! And the GMC Jam #6 is the weekend after LD, so you can have two solid weeks of game-making fun!

#5 RedOctober

RedOctober

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

I'll consider it. It'll be dependent on my workload. XD

#6 Spydog

Spydog

I Am Me.

• GMC Member
  • 426 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

So many jams! Wish I could enter this LD, but alas I will be out of town and without a computer.

That being said, for all you who plan on entering this (or the next GMC Jam), a great little book recently released that might be useful. It's called "The Game Jam Survival Guide", written by the veritable indie game wizard Christer Kaitila, and you can check it out here. I certainly learned a lot from it, so hopefully you all can get something out of it too. :)

Now to wait for the GMC Jam... -wrings hands in anticipation-

#7 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2246 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

I'm gonna really try to enter this time. (will be my first time)
Any hints on what the theme is? I thought last time they let you vote on which theme you like best?

#8 Cakefish

Cakefish

I Shot The Sheriff

• GMC Member
  • 1466 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:04 PM

Why must all comps/jams be timed just before CW deadlines/exams? RRRWWWOOORRRGGGHHH!!!

#9 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 437 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:24 PM

I might possibly be considering thinking about giving serious thought to entering this competition, assuming that school doesn't interfere...

#10 thatshelby

thatshelby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3823 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:26 AM

Most certainly entering this time. Eagerly awaiting. I recently got a new computer, and I'll be working with dual monitors for the first time. Perfect timing to get adjusted to my new equipment... I hope I can put it to good use. I'll try to give you a run for your money, TV.

#11 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 6810 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

Any hints on what the theme is? I thought last time they let you vote on which theme you like best?

Here's the suggestion list so far: http://tinyurl.com/ld23themes There's about 13,000 suggestions... with about 100 submissions every day, with 11 days to go.

Voting on such a large list could be very interesting. The winner might have just 5 votes. :tongue:

Edited by chance, 09 April 2012 - 11:49 AM.

#12 Snail_Man

Snail_Man

Let's make a game

• GMC Member
  • 1204 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

Hmmmm... I'm debating wether to enter. On the one hand, it sounds like a lot of fun, and I might learn a lot from it. On the other hand, it is the weekend before the GMC jam, and I don't want to be too tired out by then...

#13 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• Retired Staff
  • 5199 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:11 AM

Most certainly entering this time. Eagerly awaiting. I recently got a new computer, and I'll be working with dual monitors for the first time. Perfect timing to get adjusted to my new equipment... I hope I can put it to good use. I'll try to give you a run for your money, TV.

I'm sure you will! :)

The big decision for me is whether to go HTML5 or Windows EXE. You literally get thousands of plays if it's a HTML5 game, but of course you have the performance restrictions and bugs to consider.

Very undecided.

#14 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3052 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

The big decision for me is whether to go HTML5 or Windows EXE. You literally get thousands of plays if it's a HTML5 game, but of course you have the performance restrictions and bugs to consider.

Very undecided.

Go for the HTML5! It's a great opportunity to test your ability at the relatively new format and the extra feedback you will get will be well worth it!

#15 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• Retired Staff
  • 5199 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:35 AM

I think I'm actually edging towards HTML5. Just from the figures I've seen, HTML5 games get thousands of plays more during the comp, which means more potential for votes.

Normally I'd prefer the processing power of the Windows EXE, but I've been using HTML5 a lot lately so I'm confident I can produce something decent :)

#16 thatshelby

thatshelby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3823 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:30 PM

I would choose HTML5 as well... If only I could.

#17 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 6810 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:23 PM

You don't choose HTML5. HTML5 chooses you. (I have no idea wtf that means. But it sounds very profound after 3 shots of mezcal.)

I'm confident I can produce something decent :)

Which LD contest are you entering? The usual 48-hr compo, or the 72-hr Jam?

#18 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• Retired Staff
  • 5199 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:26 PM

You don't choose HTML5. HTML5 chooses you. (I have no idea wtf that means. But it sounds very profound after 3 shots of mezcal.)

I'm confident I can produce something decent :)

Which LD contest are you entering? The usual 48-hr compo, or the 72-hr Jam?

The 48-hr competition, not the 72-hr jam.

#19 thatshelby

thatshelby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3823 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:53 AM

I'm doing the 48h computer unless my game ends up taking longer, in which case i'll do the jam.

#20 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• Retired Staff
  • 5199 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:15 AM

I'm not really a fan of the jam (Ludum Dare jam for those thinking I mean GMC jam)...the comp is much better. You'll get much less plays and comments if you enter the jam.

#21 JAk HAk

JAk HAk

sepius fidelis

• 713 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:17 AM

I just checked my schedule and was pleasantly surprised to find I don't have any major school projects or tests to study for that weekend. I'm quite pleased, as I've been meaning to participate in one of these for a while now. The GMC Jam, on the other hand... not so lucky; busy weekend the 28th for me.

Edited by JAk HAk, 12 April 2012 - 08:21 AM.

#22 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 6964 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

It's likely that I'm going to be busy during the 28th-weekend, but I'm not sure yet. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

One fun thing is that every single Jam since Sneak, I've worked with some sort of engine to a completely different game for around a week before the jam starts, then lost'd interest right before the jam started and ending up making something completely different from scratch. Anyone else using to do this?

This time around I think I'll use one of my actual released engines and see if I can scourge up some bonus popularity using the PR from the jam entry...

#23 GeoS

GeoS

GMC Member

• 145 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

Ludum Dare is still the superior experience, I must concede. They don't even offer prizes and what they're doing is unparalleled.

Moderator edit: removed shameless advertising.

#24 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• Retired Staff
  • 5199 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

Voting on the first round of themes has started!

#25 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2246 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

Those themes are terrible. I only saw 3 of them that I was "okay" with.

#26 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• Retired Staff
  • 5199 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

There are 4 or 5 rounds of voting, with over 100 themes to choose from. It's not just these themes (I only gave my +1 to about 3 of them).

#27 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• Retired Staff
  • 5199 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:39 AM

Bump:

Less than 2 days until Ludum Dare!! This event will be huge, don't miss it!

#28 Furritus

Furritus

Just another Ferret

• GMC Member
  • 285 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:10 AM

i have been voting for ai/non direct conrtol

#29 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• Retired Staff
  • 5199 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:26 AM

I've been voting for themes with a slower pace (or any that would suit HTML5 better :P)

#30 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9384 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:14 AM

I've been voting for themes that I think will make for a good range of interpretations. I quite liked the variety that the last theme "Alone" brought, it didn't make it tedious playing a lot of games.

Of course, with a competition like this, even a constricting theme would probably get a wide variety of interpretations, due to the number of entries, the quick and experimental nature of the competition, and the type of people that enter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users