#1 snowmouse

snowmouse

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 13 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:36 PM

Hello everyone,
I'll start off by saying I have used the search function and found very few threads along this topic, none of which suitably answered my question, therefor:

I am currently interested in purchasing the GameMaker:html5 (upgrade to studio). I have the money loaded in Paypal at the moment and with one thing and another I would prefer not to go through the ordeal of setting up a google wallet account and then loading the money out of paypal into that. I know the developers said they would take worldpay starting in April, and as worldpay takes Paypal I figured I would wait. However I know the release of GameMaker: Studio is coming soon so I had hoped to jump on the free upgrade deal and save myself that $100. But as I attempted to purchase this morning I found the worldpay wasn't enabled yet.

So we get to the heart of the question, Does anyone know of when the developers were planning to implement worldpay, or at the very least when the free upgrade from GM:HTML5 to GM:S offer expires?

Thanks for your time and patience.

Snow Mouse

Edited by snowmouse, 03 April 2012 - 10:40 PM.

#2 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9395 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:02 AM

I do believe the free upgrade to GM:S is only offered until it's release (at which point GM:HTML5 will cease to be a product).

As for PayPal support, I wouldn't bet on it arriving before the release of GM:S. I'd suggest you get the wallet set up.

Also, getting GM:HTML5 actually saves you $200 on Studio. Studio as a base product will cost $99, but this will only export to Windows and Mac. You have to purchase other platforms for $200 each. Base product of $99 + HTML5 platform = $299 of value.

#3 mrsmes

mrsmes

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1471 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:07 AM

I don't mean to let anyone's dream die here but i think i read on the blog that in a month later from now the price of game maker html5 is going to be $199 so if you want both packages that'd be $399 just $1 under $400.

#4 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9395 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

I don't mean to let anyone's dream die here but i think i read on the blog that in a month later from now the price of game maker html5 is going to be $199 so if you want both packages that'd be $399 just $1 under $400.

Original article stating Studio's price: http://www.develop-o...GameMakerStudio

Topic by YYGs employee stating price of Studio: http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=533607

GameMaker Blog post on GM Studio: http://gamemakerblog...icing-revealed/

As stated in my post (directly above yours), GM Studio + HTML5 export will cost $299.

#5 varuks

varuks

GMC Member

• 982 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

wow.... 300 bucks... umm... I'm not complaining or anything... but I dont have that kind of money. Im TOTALLY NOT going to spend thatkind of money on any game maker. I would rather just code a game in c++ or flash... Sheesh.

EDIT: Or unity for that matter. JESUS CHRIST! THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS!!! ARE THEY OUT OF THEIR MIND!?!?!?!?
I can already see myself pirating that thing....

Edited by varuks, 04 April 2012 - 10:23 AM.

#6 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9395 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

wow.... 300 bucks... umm... I'm not complaining or anything... but I dont have that kind of money. Im TOTALLY NOT going to spend thatkind of money on any game maker. I would rather just code a game in c++ or flash... Sheesh.

Buy GM HTML5 now for $99. It gets you GM Studio + HTML5 export for free.

#7 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7097 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:01 AM

wow.... 300 bucks... umm... I'm not complaining or anything... but I dont have that kind of money. Im TOTALLY NOT going to spend thatkind of money on any game maker....

...JESUS CHRIST! THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS!!! ARE THEY OUT OF THEIR MIND!?!?!?!?

(varuks aside) It seems like the loudest complaints are from people who don't really need Studio anyway. Realistically, most of us won't produce commercial games -- let alone sell mobile games. So for most of us, GM:Windows Pro version for $39.99 is just fine.

Personally, I purchased GM:HTML5 for fun. And even without my free Studio upgrade, I'd still buy Studio to play around with the physics. But that's just me.

Edited by chance, 04 April 2012 - 11:03 AM.

#8 varuks

varuks

GMC Member

• 982 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:13 PM

Physics?

#9 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 3001 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

GameMaker:Studio has Box2D Physics built right in there, across all versions. Makes if very, VERY simple to do games like Angry Birds.

#10 varuks

varuks

GMC Member

• 982 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

lol. Game maker - Every time we upgrade, you learn less about programming.

#11 snowmouse

snowmouse

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

Thanks for all the replies everyone I appreciate the feedback, however Google just isn't going to happen for me and the full studio price is just too far out of my meager budget. I guess I should start dedicating more time to those c# courses :tongue: . Again thanks for all the info everyone I do appreciate it!

Snow Mouse

#12 Robert3DG+

Robert3DG+

Designer

• GMC Member
  • 1925 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

GM Standard is only $40 if Studio is out of your range.

Studio is only if you intend to release with HTML5, Mac, or handhelds.

Edited by Robert3DG+, 04 April 2012 - 02:33 PM.

#13 snowmouse

snowmouse

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

GM Standard is only $40 if Studio is out of your range.

It's not so much the price (I have the $100 for GM:HTML5) but the method of payments available. I have that money in paypal and for reasons of my own I cannot go through google wallet. I would pickup GM:HTML5 right now if I could figure out a way to purchase it.

oh and yes I did want to release to html5

Snow Mouse

Edited by snowmouse, 04 April 2012 - 02:43 PM.

#14 snowmouse

snowmouse

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

:whistle: so I'm dumb, I just got the prepaid mastercard through paypal so I can add funds directly. Problem solved. :whistle:

#15 Destron

Destron

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1089 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

EDIT: Or unity for that matter. JESUS CHRIST! THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS!!! ARE THEY OUT OF THEIR MIND!?!?!?!?
I can already see myself pirating that thing....

And you realize that Unity will cost you FAR FAR more than GMS right?

#16 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8105 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:09 PM

I support YYGs not using PayPal.

PayPal has become a de facto monopoly. They have no accountability, and until such time as alternatives start to become common place, they will remain unaccountable and uncompetitive.

There are horror stories all over the web about individuals and companies having accounts frozen. Any online business that is dependant on its revenue under PayPal's sole control needs alternatives. Out of principle and for the long term benefit of online transaction processing, people should be deliberately using alternatives to PayPal.

#17 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7097 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

I support YYGs not using PayPal.

I support YYG using PayPal.*

But I agree YYG shouldn't use any system exclusively. The best approach IMO, is to offer several different mechanisms -- such as credit card, Paypal, Google wallet, etc.

Even cash tied to a brick through the window.

* I receive $0.001 USD every time I say that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users