• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 MalcomX

MalcomX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:23 PM

This is something I have been working on for a long time. This is the Super Ring Engine.

Posted Image

The SUPER RING ENGINE is an open-source Sonic the Hedgehog engine created in Game Maker 8. The goal was to create an engine that is similar to the Genesis era games. A few of the features are taken from other engines, so credit goes to their respectable owners. There is some documented code to help aid the creation of your own Sonic games.

FEATURES

• A fully editable Sonic engine based off of Sonic 3 for Game Maker 8+.
  • 360 degree movement with 8 directional angling. (WIP)
  • Spin jump, spindash, Insta-shield based off of Sonic 3 / S3K.
  • Some basic enemies, with movement and flicky creation.
  • S3 -styled HUD, title card, and level end bonuses.
  • Background Engine (For multiple layer scrolling backgrounds).
  • A few recognizable gimmicks from the Genesis era, re-constructed for the SR Engine.
  • All BASIC Genesis era objects (Rings, springs, spikes, etc.)
  • Monitor boxes. (Ring, Invincibility, Norm-Shield, Bubble Shield, Electra-Shield, & Fire Shield)
  • Beginning Water engine, with working physics (still a little buggy).
  • Testing Zone with gimmicks.
  • Near (not nearly perfect) replica of Emerald Hill Act 1 from Sonic 2 included.

VIDEO
*RECORDED BY mrpeanut188

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SETvCJGPCQw&feature=channel

DOWNLOAD

http://www.mediafire...oo6e2asflmnh6nf

Some documentation is included to help get you started with editing. Feel free to use this engine to your liking. Though it is WAAAYYY far from perfect and has some bugs, it is absolutely usable. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. And if you decide to use the engine, please give credit. A lot of hard work has been put into this.

EDIT: I'm not sure how that cover junk got into the GameMusic folder, but it can all be deleted. All that needs to be in that folder is the Game Music, nothing more.

Edited by MalcomX, 11 April 2012 - 06:16 AM.

#2 mrpeanut188

mrpeanut188

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 814 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:47 PM

Posted Image
Super Ring Engine: Unofficial Edition

First, download this .ZIP file, containing all the needed files.

Then, download the Engine GMK.

*Currently, objFloatyBox doesn't seem to activate until Sonic dies once. This is a bug, and is not intentional.

The GMK updates automatically. The ZIP however shouldn't, unless a critical update is needed.

Edited by mrpeanut188, 07 August 2012 - 12:46 AM.

#3 coco13

coco13

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:04 PM

That was unbelievably good. 6/5

#4 MalcomX

MalcomX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:09 AM

Thank you for the comments! I really appreciate it. I have worked pretty hard on this, and though it is far from perfect, I hope that this becomes fairly useful to someone in some form.

#5 mrpeanut188

mrpeanut188

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 814 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:23 PM

SNIP

Edited by mrpeanut188, 11 April 2012 - 01:48 AM.

#6 mrpeanut188

mrpeanut188

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 814 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:10 AM

SNIP

Edited by mrpeanut188, 11 April 2012 - 01:51 AM.

#7 MalcomX

MalcomX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:34 PM

Progress!
Just to know, are you okay with the project? I know for personal use, but I might pass around a few friends. I will tell you if I want to release.
You can check and make sure all the credit is all good before I release.

Spoiler

'Remastered' Logo. In 720HD. Also has 'Unofficial Edition'.

I'd say go for it definitely. I'm anxious to see what you can do.

Near (not nearly perfect) replica of Emerald Hill Act 1 from Sonic 2 included.

Really? I used the act maps and only one tile was out of place.
Because one tile was missing!
Posted Image

Yeah, well it was kinda just a lazy edit I did. I tried to be as close to the original, but it was really getting pretty tiring attaching
all those chunks together, and trying to get it "spot-on", so I just made it fairly 'similar'.

#8 mrpeanut188

mrpeanut188

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 814 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:28 AM

[Edit4]
New Post.

...lazy edit I did...

D:
Not because you did, but because I need to do that. I am making Hidden Palace from Sonic 2. The removed one.
Like it isn't hard enough to get them. And I have 200 128x128 tiles. I had to sort them out, import as separate images, save as .PNG in Game Maker, then re-import as a background.

Currently I am just organizing and fixing. Below is the strip I am separating into 8 columns:

Spoiler

OLD POST ):

Spoiler

Edited by mrpeanut188, 11 April 2012 - 05:41 AM.

#9 TheSonic41125

TheSonic41125

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:45 AM

QUESTION!! im having music issues. I wanna change the music and add more. but i dont know how to change it or add more. or for that matter how it works

#10 MalcomX

MalcomX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:05 AM

QUESTION!! im having music issues. I wanna change the music and add more. but i dont know how to change it or add more. or for that matter how it works

The music is all loaded in the folder titled "Sound" in the scripts section. All you need to do is open the script StartSounds(), and place your loaded music there.
Then for music control, objSaudioCore in the "Parents" folder of the Global Objects is used. The way it's set up in that object is fairly self explanatory. Just go in and change the values to suit your needs there. Hope that helped some. If you have any more questions, I'm happy to help. :thumbsup:

#11 Black Ace

Black Ace

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

Very very nice engine man. It is one of the best i have every seen. You should really finish it. You can't just leave so much undone. I was amazed at how much stuff you put in and a lot of it I was trying to figure out how to get in to my sonic game (check it out by the way. Last page in WIP section). You come out with this amazing thing. It just wow.

How did you add stuff from sonic worlds or whatever. Wasn't it written in a different coding language or does Game Maker understand more than GML.

#12 MalcomX

MalcomX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:40 PM

Very very nice engine man. It is one of the best i have every seen. You should really finish it. You can't just leave so much undone. I was amazed at how much stuff you put in and a lot of it I was trying to figure out how to get in to my sonic game (check it out by the way. Last page in WIP section). You come out with this amazing thing. It just wow.

Thank you for your comments. I have been working on this for about a year. I got kinda tired with it though, so decided to release it in a stable form. Like I mentioned, anyone else is welcome to add whatever they please to it, but I think I may be done with editing it, for now. I may jump back into it in the future, or create a new one, I dont know yet.

How did you add stuff from sonic worlds or whatever. Wasn't it written in a different coding language or does Game Maker understand more than GML.

As far as porting some objects from the Worlds Engine, all I did was study the code and how they acted in that engine, and just redid them from scratch in GML. Wasn't too difficult.

#13 mrpeanut188

mrpeanut188

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 814 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:51 PM

You should really finish it. You can't just leave so much undone.

+1!
Also, I am post-poning those 200 tiles even with most of them sorted out.
As of now, I will work on organization.

#14 Pyro the Magma Fox

Pyro the Magma Fox

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:34 AM

Okay, first off, this is a REALLY good engine with all the gimmicks, but there are some things that could be added.

• Barrels? (Carnival Night Zone) (Made slightly less frustrating lol)
  • Rotating wheel (Carnival Night and Metropolis)
  • Rope Swing (Sandopolis)
  • Actual Hanging (Flying Battery)
  • File Select Screen (Sonic 3)
  • Rotating Flamethrower (Flying Battery)
  • Water Slides (Labyrinth)
  • I know you haven't yet done bonuses for the Slot Machine, but could you for the next Version, please?
  • Sonic 3 and Knuckles Special Stage engine?

Oh, and could you add Tails and Knuckles and Super Forms when you get all 7 emeralds? =)

#15 c0rnel

c0rnel

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:29 AM

I'm gonna need some help here.
when starting it up it gives this error:

for object objGameVarsInit:

Error defining an external function.

yesterday it worked fine :confused:

#16 SuperArthurBros

SuperArthurBros

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

This engine is aweeeeesoooooomeeee!!! But it would be better if you add tails as partner...

#17 matthe815

matthe815

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:40 PM

i like this but adding super forms would make it more fun like collect 50 rings after you collect all of the emerald or turn it on in the options then like press c or somthing that would be awesome

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users