HelpMyFellowPeople

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 281 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:06 PM

Planit
A game in progress by Junhalestone and HelpMyFellowPeople

PlanIt is a work in progress game with a unique style, combining Adventure, RPG and Strategy elements.

The current version plays as follows:

You begin in the centre of a procedurally generated ‘planet’ which contains creatures, scenery and items. You start next to your base, and the further away you travel, the more dangerous the world becomes. You must use any items you find, from wooden planks to animal bones, in order to fend off aggressive creatures as you gather materials and store them in your base.

Inside the base, you can craft items from the materials you have gathered: make tools such as pickaxes or cages in which to trap the creatures roaming the land. You can then use these to perform new actions and find new materials – mine rocks for gold or capture creatures to help you on your side.

As you gain EXP for killing creatures and mining, you will level up, awarding you with STAT points which can be used inside the base to increase your character’s HP, movement speed or strength (used for wielding more powerful items).

Because the planet generation is random, each planet will be different and everybody will have a unique experience!

Current Features:

- Procedural Planet Generation

- A variety of items and weapons to wield.

- Two enemy types, with unique behaviours (territorial and peaceful).

- Day and night time.

- Deposit items in the base to acquire materials.

- Craft items in the base to use outside.

- Level up to improve your stats.
Development Log:
Spoiler

CONTROLS
WASD - move about
 Mouse - face direction
 Left Click - attack with wielded weapon; pick up weapon, enter base etc.
 Shift - Run
 Q - drop a weapon, deposit weapon in base
 F / Left Mouse Button - Attack with/swing weapon/item
 C - Display 'compass' pointing to base
 H - toggle HUD display on/off
 I - open inventory (on level up press I to add stats).
 F1 - Display help file, DevLog and credits 

Details and Download Link:
File size: 5.03MB
File Type: .exe
GameJolt Link: http://gamejolt.com/...re/planit/7733/
YoYoGames Link: http://sandbox.yoyog...s/197705-planit

View the page on my site here:
http://pahoda.webs.com/planitwip.htm

Screenshots:
http://imageshack.us...enshot108w.png/

Let me know what you think :)

Credits:

Concept and graphics: HelpMyFellowPeople

Programming: Junhalestone

Additional Graphics: Fason7, Explogen V2

Edited by HelpMyFellowPeople, 28 April 2012 - 10:22 PM.

#2 HelpMyFellowPeople

HelpMyFellowPeople

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 281 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:53 AM

Just a small update. Now has little creatures randomly roaming around. The graphics are just place holder graphics. These little things run away from you if you get too close to them.

#3 Sir

Sir

Jedi Poodoo

• GMC Member
  • 384 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:19 PM

One thing it needs, is the ability to attack other colonies and convert them into your groupies. Along with enemies. lol

#4 HelpMyFellowPeople

HelpMyFellowPeople

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 281 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

For sure! And creatures, although some creatures will be VERY powerful so having them on your side will be VERY useful for taking over bases, but not easy to convert.

#5 junhalestone

junhalestone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

Tried the game and it's a very interesting concept. It clearly needs work but that's to be expected.
I had a similar idea a while back but never developed it. This has the potential to be extremely good! Good luck.
Thanks,
JUN

Edited by junhalestone, 28 March 2012 - 05:23 PM.

#6 junhalestone

junhalestone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:21 AM

I'll just bump this for you...

#7 HelpMyFellowPeople

HelpMyFellowPeople

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 281 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:56 AM

Bump. New update. Check the first post for the Development log

#8 HelpMyFellowPeople

HelpMyFellowPeople

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 281 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:40 AM

Bump. New update!

#9 HelpMyFellowPeople

HelpMyFellowPeople

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 281 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:23 AM

Bump!

Update 0.03!

New control layout!

#10 Skilledthis

Skilledthis

GMC Member

• 10 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:04 PM

Downloading it now, and testing it. Will leave feedback.

Couple things.
Pros
1) I like how if what you're holding hits something you drop it. Pretty realistic, and cool.
2) I like the gameplay feeling.

Cons
1) There isn't a menu? If you hit escape it just closes it, and you lose all your progress.
2) The rats don't hurt you. I stood there and let like 5 of them surround me, and took no damage.
3) It needs music. :\ Kind of kills the gameplay without it.
4) When you put a pickaxe inside of the base, it just adds materials to your list, and it doesn't give you a full "refund" of the pickaxe, so you can't make another one if you place it inside. (You lose resources)
5) Should add an actual "inventory" so you can take back more stuff while you go out for resources. Would kill it to have to run back non-stop to put stuff in your base.
6) When you level up, show how many "points" you have to put in. Would help people pick and choose how high they want to level, and know what they have to split with.

(Will have more soon)

Edited by Skilledthis, 22 April 2012 - 05:25 PM.

#11 junhalestone

junhalestone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:07 PM

Thank you for your interest and support!
I look forward to hearing any feedback or ideas you may have, as well as comments on the gameplay itself.

EDIT: (reply to your comments)
Thanks for the feedback on the 'pros' side of things.

Cons:
1) OK - I'll add some kind of menu with 'resume' etc on it, but you can just press I if you wish to pause the game.

2) The rats aren't meant to hurt you because they are Peaceful creatures. They follow different AI patterns to the Tuskus - Rats move close to you can either stand, examining, or run away. This
may not be clear - it will be more so when features such as capturing creatures are implemented. Sorry - I'll add it to the 'scan' section (whether animal is peaceful or aggressive)

3) OK - we'll try to get music ASAP. Sounds, too.

4) The pickaxe was not meant to give a 'full refund' as if it did there would be no tactics or planning in what to create; if you don't get all the resources back then you have to be much more careful with which items you craft. If you still think this is a problem, then let me know and I'll change it.

5) An actual inventory is a great idea - thanks for the suggestion! I'll try to make it right away.

6) Yes - on level up there are a few aesthetic things which need changing - thanks. I'll try to add that soon. I think I'll also reduce the number of points you get, or increase the number of stats you can change.

Thanks for the feedback - it's greatly appreciated. I hope you maintain an interest in this game.

Edited by junhalestone, 22 April 2012 - 06:36 PM.

#12 Skilledthis

Skilledthis

GMC Member

• 10 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

I plan on playing it more, and onto higher levels to look for more stuff. And the reason I mentioned the Rat thing was because it says it does 3 damage so that's why I said something. Figured it was bugged. Playing it now, and plan on getting higher level.

Edit: This game has great potential, and I hope to see it grow nicely. I like the building idea, and the crafting idea. Should also add higher level monsters, and more weapons.

Edited by Skilledthis, 22 April 2012 - 06:44 PM.

#13 junhalestone

junhalestone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:48 PM

Yes - we are adding more weapons right now. Monsters' levels are dependent on the player's initial level when the planet is generated; this will seem like a better idea once the game is more functional (at the moment it may seem a bit odd.)

I'll fix the Rats so their damage reads '0' or 'peaceful'

Thanks,
JUN

#14 junhalestone

junhalestone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

New version of the game is out now!
Please use the GameJolt link for the latest version (because it is updated most frequently), or YoYoGames if this is down. Use Host-A if you must, but it is updated less frequently and the links may therefore be old.

Major updates for this version:

Version 0.035
- Added / Changed inventory system - there is now a real-time on-screen inventory system. While wielding an item, press E to deposit it in your inventory. It will display on the right hand side of the screen. Hover over an item to see its stats; click on it to drop it at your feet. This means you no longer have to return to the base with every item you find.

Next Version
Music will be added, and maybe sound effects, too. Should be updated within two days!

Play the new version here:
GameJolt: http://gamejolt.com/...re/planit/7733/
YoYoGames: http://sandbox.yoyog...s/197705-planit
Host-A: Download planit v0.035.exe from Host-A

Thanks for your support and feedback!
JUN

#15 junhalestone

junhalestone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

New Version out now!
(First post will be updated soon, but please use the below links in the meantime.)

Version 0.04
DEV LOG / UPDATES
Spoiler

Main Updates:
- Music added.
- Inventory system: major overhaul to graphical system.
- New crafting item
- New weapons
- New scenery
- Can chop down trees with axes.
- Particle Updates

Play the game at GameJolt: http://gamejolt.com/...re/planit/7733/
Download the game at YoYoGames: http://sandbox.yoyog...s/197705-planit
Download the game at Host-A: Download planit v0.04.exe from Host-A

Please leave feedback or suggestions if you play the game. Thank you.

Edited by junhalestone, 28 April 2012 - 07:05 PM.

#16 Skilledthis

Skilledthis

GMC Member

• 10 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

Playing the new update.

The inventory system makes getting materials x10 easier, and not so "unrewarding" for say.
The music is a little glitchy, but that is a given because the game is just being made. The music zones are small. The first song is ALWAYS playing, and the second one has a few spots in which it kicks on, but goes away pretty quickly.
Should make it so you can right click the hatchet/pickaxe to equip it from your inventory so you don't have to drop it, and re-pick it up.
Should have weapons, and stronger equipment as well.

Also, the Rat damage/aggressiveness isn't fixed yet (don't know if you've targeted fixing that yet or not).
And it gets INSANELY dark. Like, hard to see dark. Lol

Don't mean to be too wanty or anything like that, just trying to give good ideas, and help out some.

Edited by Skilledthis, 28 April 2012 - 07:37 PM.

#17 junhalestone

junhalestone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:07 PM

Thank you for your feedback - don't feel you're being 'wanty' - we appreciate suggestions, bug-finding and support for the game.

> I'm glad you like the inventory system.
> Yes - the music is a little glitchy at the moment. This is mainly because I currently use no DLLs for the sounds and cannot pause/resume them - it should sound better with development and once more (stronger) enemies and other areas are added. The battle music currently only plays when there are a lot of Tuskus enemies about. I'll work on it...
> I hope to have more options with the inventory soon - perhaps right-click for drop-down menus on the items with wield, drop, etc.. I'll be able to add right-click equip easily - it will be in the next update.
> Weapons are coming - just not yet. There are other things to work on first, but yes - thank you. We'll get proper weapons out soon; they'll be fairly easy to add.
> Sorry - I didn't fix the rat thing yet. I didn't try to, (it should be an easy fix, so don't worry, I'll do it soon).
> I'll change the darkness - it's a simple fix (just a variable edit). Thanks - I needed to change that.

Thanks again for your feedback - please continue to help out and support this game!
Thanks,
JUN

#18 Skilledthis

Skilledthis

GMC Member

• 10 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

Just found out, if you let it sit in the base/"I" paused for too long, it errors out, and closes the game when you come back to it. Didn't copy the error cause I was doing something and not thinking about it, but I'll try to reenact this error.

#19 junhalestone

junhalestone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

That's true - thanks. I had forgotten about that, but I believe it's to do with the surface drawing. I may be able to change that - I'll try - but it involves removing the way the surfaces are currently working, as far as I am aware.

Thanks.

#20 Skilledthis

Skilledthis

GMC Member

• 10 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:36 AM

Should also add a saving option to it. Hate when I leave it paused for awhile, and it errors out so I have to restart, or when I close it.

#21 junhalestone

junhalestone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:14 AM

I'll add a saving option, and also a menu when you close it or click escape, to confirm.
I'll have to use different save files for each version - your data probably won't be transferable - sorry!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users