6 replies to this topic

#1 xhawkeyex

xhawkeyex

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 318 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:48 AM

I'm looking for a fun weapon system that doesn't let the player be overpowered or let the player be underpowerd without the lack of controls.

Some thoughts on a weapon system.

-This weapon system needs to be easy to use and still be able to hold equipment
What I usually use is a call of duty system that allows the player to hold to guns and have other buttons trigger the equipment. It is easy to use, but it is used too much in many games.
Then I thought of having an array affect my weapons by having about 4-8 arrays as a slot, each holding different types of items. This worked wonderfully, but it took time just to switch to a certain weapon using the mouse wheel.
In another game, I went back to a similar call of duty style weapon system. It worked perfectly, but only for that game. The setup was to have one slot hold a weapon and another slot hold equipment. So only 2 weapons.

-Weapon systems should have different styles for different game styles and genres
TDS-Most likely a slot system. Should probably include the mouse wheel for ease of access.
Platform Reg - Either the guns are already there or you need to pick them up
Platform Shooter - Should still use the mouse but I believe it should just stick to one gun and one type of lethal grenade
RPG - Little limit to the amount of weapons and to be determined by weight or many slots that hold everything (not just weapons)

Since I like TDS games, I should use a small amount of slots. I think I've been there before. I want an original weapon system to make the gameplay different from other games.

Do you have any ideas for a weapon system?

#2 GenoDoucette

GenoDoucette

BrokenIMG

• GMC Member
  • 974 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:09 AM

Weapon system: When you run out of ammo in the gun, you lose the gun.

#3 ND4SPD

ND4SPD

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2180 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:17 AM

Check the Quick Select for Ratchet and Clank. That's a great way to allow the player to have plenty of weaponry, but still be able to quickly switch between them.

Halflife also had a good system, if I remember correctly?

#4 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 8155 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:21 PM

I like the Resident Evil 4 system where you have a grid (your suitcase) to fit items in, and you can carry as much as you want as long as you can fit it in the suitcase. If you want 400 healing herbs, go ahead and fill the suitcase... but then you won't have any room for anything else. If you want a really long sniper rifle, be prepared to shuffle all the other stuff around. Also you could rotate the stuff to make them fit in better (a pistol would be L-shaped, for instance, a whip would take up 3x3 cells except the center one, so you could put something there if need be, most herbs and ammo items would take up 1x1 cells but some WW1-style grenades 2x1 cells).

It's all about freedom; the suitcase had more than enough room for 8 weapons and more than enough room for lots of supplies; but not at the same time. You had to choose between versatility and variety but very little refill, or an unbalanced but well supplied arsenal.

#5 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7272 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

Then I thought of having an array affect my weapons by having about 4-8 arrays as a slot, each holding different types of items. This worked wonderfully, but it took time just to switch to a certain weapon using the mouse wheel.

Why not just have the player mouse-click on the slot he wants, and then the character/player receives the weapon? Even faster, you could just assign the number keys 1, 2,... 8 to each slot. So the player just presses a key to change weapons instantly.

Of course, you'd need all the slots visible on screen, But each slots would just hold a small image of the weapon, so it wouldn't take much room.

Edited by chance, 23 March 2012 - 12:33 PM.

#6 Adequate

Adequate

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 479 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:34 AM

notice my sig.

notice the tds thing i did last year.

take a look to see if it fits your needs, i dont need any credit or anything.

edit: link broken

Edited by Adequate, 24 March 2012 - 09:39 AM.

#7 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 8155 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:46 AM

It is easy to use, but it is used too much in many games.

Nitpick: this could apply to anything, including jumping, money, and Game Over. So I would dub "it's been used before!" and anti-reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users