#1 fyaopo

fyaopo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 239 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:02 AM

Introduction

Hi. So, I've done this before... and whatever that was, that was a learning exercise. So, I'm up for this once more, only with greater experience up my sleeve.

1. Request using a template similar to this:

Purpose - e.g: "boss fight"
Theme/Feel/Genre - "in an underground wet cave environment, intense, fast, ominous" Be detailed as possible ;)
Length - "1:30 minutes long"
Looped? - "nah"
Game context - What the song will end up like can be radically different if I have screenshots or demos to work with :P. The genre, feel and style of the entire game is amazing information to work with.
Extra info - "it'd be sweet if you could get a violin quartet in there, and make the filetype lossless .FLAC (Note: As highlighted below, I do not do MIDI)"

2. Listen to some samples of mine? :D

Spoiler

Stuff I've written after I made this post: (in order)

Conquest July - for DivideBy2
Aftermath - for Snail_Man
I'm very, very willing to experiment, however technical metal tracks (or any tracks that require me to record guitar in general) will probably fail. Throw some folk/indie my way!

I've worked with some members of the GMC already. I wrote a few songs for different games made by Orange08. I joined a team with a bunch of guys lead by Quick12. Most of the guys I've worked with I've worked with in depth alongside them, hopefully I can continue to do the same.

3. When can I request?

- When I've not got two requests to do already
- When the game in question is not a fangame of any kind
- When there is something of the game, whether it is a screenshot, sprites or a planning document
- When I'm not in exam weeks (or the week before exam weeks)
- When the filetype you ask for is NOT midi or tracker.

4. Any more notes?

- I can record guitar and voice tracks, but only if the game in question is not your first, second or third game (exceptions apply).
- Yeah, read the license please :) : http://fyaopo.blogsp.../p/licence.html
- Credit "tweerock - Thomas Wang", and if you'd like, with some link to my blogspot link anywhere in your credits.
- I maintain the right to distribute one piece of music as a standalone piece and only give you permission to use it in your game (unless directly asked).

Edited by twee, 29 April 2012 - 01:39 AM.

#2 DivideBy2

DivideBy2

GMC Member

• 64 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:04 PM

I need music for my difficult platformer, I was thinking 8-bit chiptune stuff.
Here's a screenshot:
Posted Image

Basically I need something kinda fast, but the feeling of the game is also kinda like it is set in a void of nothingness.
The length doesn't really matter, as long as it's above a minute or something. It has to loop.

If you want to, you can play the game to get a feel for it here:
http://dl.dropbox.co...ntilherages.exe
(All the sounds ingame are to be replaced, ignore them)

It's just for while playing the game you have some music to motivate you, no boss battles or anything.

Edited by DivideBy2, 22 March 2012 - 04:05 PM.

#3 fyaopo

fyaopo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:12 AM

I played through the game, it is pretty hard at times but lack of variable jumping sometimes felt unfair. Also, screen resolution seems off on my laptop. Other than that, it's a solid game, and it looks great.

Anyway, I've finished the song:

Title: Conquest July
Looped: Yes
Length: 2 minutes 0 seconds.
Filtype: MP3

Link: Dropbox Direct Link

That's the first song I've written for a game in three months! Let me know what you think.

Edited by twee, 24 March 2012 - 12:14 AM.

#4 DivideBy2

DivideBy2

GMC Member

• 64 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:05 PM

I played through the game, it is pretty hard at times but lack of variable jumping sometimes felt unfair. Also, screen resolution seems off on my laptop. Other than that, it's a solid game, and it looks great.

That's the first song I've written for a game in three months! Let me know what you think.

Yeah, I thought of making the jumping easier a while ago but never got around to it, and the resolution is going to be customizable later, but the song is great! I love it!
I'll put you in the credits in the "Info & Stats" section of the menu (which does nothing right now, but it will).

#5 fyaopo

fyaopo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

Just to let people know, I am still taking requests at your leisure.

#6 elite_thut

elite_thut

GMC Member

• 32 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:48 PM

I'm impressed by your work! Nice job with that music! Very appropriate also!

As for the game I just tried it... I love the idea, and most of all the theme (look and feel). However I really feel like you should improve the controls, not being able to move forward and jumb (having to jump, then move) is just feeling bad for me...Anyways, Keep it up!

Edited by elite_thut, 18 April 2012 - 09:54 PM.

#7 fyaopo

fyaopo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:48 PM

How many musics can I request at one time?

It depends usually on how busy I am with other stuff, and how big the game is, but three max at a time for a single game. I also do requests in order chronologically and according to level of content and information provided for me to work with.

I'm impressed by your work! Nice job with that music! Very appropriate also!

Thanks man, I appreciate it :).

#8 fyaopo

fyaopo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

In my eyes, I have written up a short sample for the first request of what I feel is "happy-go-lucky". It started out a chiptune piece until I slowly changed all of the instruments around.

Of course, if I was to develop it, it would sound better: thicker, better mixed etc, but I need to know what you think:

Link (dropbox direct)

It sounds relaxed, maybe elated, and happy in general. The first sector is easy (relatively), but I'm not totally sure how appropriate this will be.

Edited by twee, 19 April 2012 - 11:30 AM.

#9 PizWiz

PizWiz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

Purpose - break room in between each level
Theme/Feel/Genre - It's a very relaxed home environment. (relaxed, cool, slow, uncomplicated, simple)
Length - "1:30 minutes long"
Looped? - Yes but definitively not necessary.
Game context - Well the game content isn't necessarily that important because the room I want this song for doesn't fit the rest of the game. But think of a nice calming break after a really hard level full of action.
Extra info - Do it. That is all. :P Thanks!

DappZSE.gifplK75jt.gif

#10 fyaopo

fyaopo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:54 AM

Purpose: Easiest sector, so make it sound kind of happy-go-lucky.
Theme/Feel/Genre: The game is pretty minimilistic, so I'd prefer 8-bit, though if you think something else would sound better, you can do that.
Length: Since the sectors are pretty long, and the game can get pretty hard, I'm gonna say 2:30+
Looped: Preferable
Game context: Hardcore-ish platformer. You can see screenshots and demo by clicking my sig (It's the Hatz one)
Extra info: Nothing really.

Alright, here you go, Snail_Man, your first track! I'll work on your's next, PizWiz.

Title: Aftermath
Looped: Sort of, but mostly no

Edited by twee, 22 April 2012 - 03:56 AM.

#11 lavethion

lavethion

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 213 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

Purpose - Overworld theme in a zombie apocalypse simulator.

Theme/Feel/Genre - Roaming the streets of a ruined city, after you watched the city get entirely infected in-game by a virus, having the population attack you on sight, savenging for supplies, medicine, materials for barricades, etc. You have the feeling someone is watching, waiting, spying, stalking, and- LOOK OUT BEHIND
YOU!

Length - 2 minutes long.
Looped? - If you could.
Game context - Not at the moment.
Extra info - .Midi please

#12 fyaopo

fyaopo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:04 AM

Extra info - .Midi please

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned this in the initial post, but I don't do MIDI at all. If I was to name all the filetypes I work with: mp3, .ogg, .FLAC, .wav would be really the only ones that come up. I cannot take your request.

Edited by twee, 23 April 2012 - 07:04 AM.

#13 lavethion

lavethion

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 213 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

Ah. Then just mp3.

#14 fyaopo

fyaopo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 239 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:47 AM

Sorry guys, I completely forgot about this. I have my first job interview, three assignments and two tests to look forward to next week. I'll get the pieces done when I can.