82 replies to this topic

#31 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• Global Moderators
  • 1583 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:41 PM

Even as jokes, statements like that can be annoying. Look, nobody expects moderators to become "GMC nuns" without private lives. But you weren't forced to accept your position, so joking that your time here is "wasted" falls flat.

It makes members question your interest, and only encourages them to demand more moderators. I know you were joking... but it sends the wrong message. :wink:

Point taken. Thanks. :)

Hi ugriffin,
It's nice of you to put things simply. The irony of course is that no mod has explained the situtation to the community that brought up the topic.
Is this an issue already being looked into, or did it require prompting?

Perhaps people would welcome Takagi's input in this topic. This is a matter of what problems need to be dealt with and how much time is required to be put into moderating to solve them.
It isn't as though certain problems appear at set times. It is perfectly reasonable for a moderator to check on events/circumstances after a certain time has elapsed.. because there is no set time when problems occur.
If a week and a half is too long, how often does Takagi allow this to happen? If not often, then it is a one off and no more moderators are required.
If Takagi feels he is not up to the job, he can talk to the other staff and arrange to retire so that he may rejoin.

1.5 weeks may be too long, but 2 days or 4 days may not. Therefore, there is no reason for people to work in shifts.

Well, I don't have Takagi added on Facebook or places I can contact him other than the GMC, that said, I do know he's studying medicine (I think) so I can imagine he's remarkably busy. In general we can't really predict how mod's lives will pan out.

That said, I do believe there's a need for a new mod in GD&D and we are talking about new staff members so I'm sure the new mod can be added to GD&D.

The way I see this topic:

We need more moderators. Ahem, I'm free. NO I AM. NO ME. LET MEEE MODERATE. FAPFAPFAP.

Staff members should have an 'Instant +1000 rep' button for posts like these. :wub:

#32 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21731 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

probably the 'inactive' mods right now are just as busy as I am, simple as that.

Hi ugriffin,
It's nice of you to put things simply. The irony of course is that no mod has explained the situtation to the community that brought up the topic.
Is this an issue already being looked into, or did it require prompting?

Ahem... Posted Image

I think game and design needs at least one other mod.

You have a very valid point, and itīs being looked into as we speak...

The thing is that the GMC does need at least one new mod to help out and this has been getting discussed since before this topic was started...

#33 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:46 PM

To be honest I'd like more moderators in general. I feel like I only ever really see Mark posting...

#34 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7348 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:37 PM

To be honest I'd like more moderators in general. I feel like I only ever really see Mark posting...

Interesting comment. Do you feel the GMC needs more moderation? Or do you just want to see more moderators participate in discussions? Or both?

Personally, I think more moderator participation would be good -- but not because they're moderators. But because a few of them have interesting things to say. And I'm always happy to see interesting discussion, whether it's from members, moderators, or spammers. (kidding...)

#35 Takagi

Takagi

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 4279 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

I VOLUNTEER.. *ahem*.. I volunteer as tribute.

For a Hunger Games reference, I give you a tip of the hat.

I've gotten admission to med school, assuming I keep up a certain GPA and finish my bachelor's degree, which I am finishing my third year up for (Biomedical Engineering). A few things have popped up here and there (*cough*Netflix*cough), but I should be up and active soon. I think that as global though, my attentions have been diffused, so I agree, a new GI&D moderator is much needed. I threw out a few names after Frostblade left, but it seems it was never talked about much. :)

#36 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7348 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

A few things have popped up here and there (*cough*Netflix*cough), but I should be up and active soon.

Before you go, here's something you might try. Go to the Game Design forum and close a few topics. And maybe warn a few members about the rules. (You can easily find some that break one rule or another.)

In other words, give members exactly what they're asking for. That should stifle the requests for more moderators. :wink:

Edited by chance, 25 March 2012 - 04:30 PM.

#37 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:36 PM

Interesting comment. Do you feel the GMC needs more moderation? Or do you just want to see more moderators participate in discussions? Or both?

Some forums definitely need more forum moderation (Game Ideas, Reviewers Forums in particular), but it's mostly I would like to see more activity from the mods/admins. I don't think I have seen a post from Fred in 6 months :P

I'm sure there's a lot they do behind the scenes that we don't see, of course.

#38 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7348 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:08 AM

I don't think I have seen a post from Fred in 6 months :P

Me neither. So I'm counting my blessings. :dry:

But I'd like to see more from xshortguy and tangibleLime in the Math forum. They usually have interesting things to say.

#39 tangibleLime

tangibleLime

Lunatic

• GMC Elder
  • 2520 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:54 AM

I moderate without posting. I often don't have much to say on the GMC, and I don't feel the need to come up with something to say just to say something. Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

#40 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:33 AM

I moderate without posting. I often don't have much to say on the GMC, and I don't feel the need to come up with something to say just to say something. Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

And yet I'd consider you 3rd most active out of the mods, which really says something.

I think it's more for the sense of community. Having the leadership visible helps with that. Like I said, it's not vital but it is nice.

#41 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21731 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:07 AM

So, you're calling me a fool then? Posted Image

#42 greep

greep

Menaces with Spikes

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:19 AM

Technically speaking, that could be interpreted either way, as in remove all doubt that you aren't a fool ;) But really, you're going on the word of a guy who's title reads "Lunatic" :P

#43 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7348 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

I moderate without posting. I often don't have much to say on the GMC, and I don't feel the need to come up with something to say just to say something.

Try harder. The Math and Programming forum could use your input. Seriously, you have interesting things to offer there. Even commenting on topics you don't find that important would add a boost.

I think it's more for the sense of community. Having the leadership visible helps with that. Like I said, it's not vital but it is nice.

That's a good point. Having Mike and Russell very visible on the GMC -- and participating in discussion -- has changed the way members perceive YoYo Games and the GMC. The same is true of Nocturne's activity in the Jam.

#44 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

That's a good point. Having Mike and Russell very visible on the GMC -- and participating in discussion -- has changed the way members perceive YoYo Games and the GMC. The same is true of Nocturne's activity in the Jam.

Absolutely agreed. I've really developed a lot of respect for YoYo over this past year, and of course with Mark actively involved with the GMC jam in particular it really does present a great image, to me at least.

#45 xot

xot

GMC Dismember

• GMC Elder
  • 4773 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

As another said, we have actually been discussing adding new staff for a few weeks now but I admit I haven't been able to devote the time needed to handle the matter as quickly as I would have liked. I have been recently prodded and the staffing tentacles are groping as we speak.

#46 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7348 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:30 PM

I have been recently prodded and the staffing tentacles are groping...

Christ, that sounds like a visit to the proctologist. No wonder it's taking so long.

#47 xot

xot

GMC Dismember

• GMC Elder
  • 4773 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:44 PM

Believe me, it's unpleasant work on either side of the rubber glove.

#48 =(:5/7A!I:)=

=(:5/7A!I:)=

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:02 PM

What a laugh.

Takagi is a global moderator, he now has to see things in terms of seismic activity... and world medicine. Please Takagi, invent the cure for stupidity.

tangibleLime probably feels threatened compared to the other mods, they must all be truly smart.. possibly with equal humility to that of the psychopath. Yes I've always known psychopaths to be self-reflective people. Come to think of it, I've never truly known a lunatic. Woops, I just mixed up psychopath and lunatic. Well now, if he is reserved then what sort of a lunatic does that make him?

A sociopath. They always work in bursts.
Don't fall for his trickery, he stays low so that he can't be held accountable for any breach that he does make.

yeah and ... I'm bored. Excuse me for behaving like an expert on the human condition. I could never know the implications of having a new moderator. Hopefully the person will share his/her love with the world and spread new design ideas which will bring new hope to our miserable lives.

And that ends this topic.

I'm important.

Edited by =(:5/7A!I:)=, 26 March 2012 - 09:09 PM.

#49 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7348 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:24 PM

Please Takagi, invent the cure for stupidity.
tangibleLime probably feels threatened compared to the other mods
A sociopath. They always work in bursts.
I'm important.

Uh oh... off your meds again?

How many times have I told you: the blue pill every three hours. And the red one whenever you feel like... you know.

#50 greep

greep

Menaces with Spikes

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:28 PM

Well anyways, question answered, admins already looking for the new mod. So... lets lock this to give more attention to lovely hot topics like "ARE YOU EXCITED!?"

#51 =(:5/7A!I:)=

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:12 AM

Uh oh... off your meds again?

How many times have I told you: the blue pill every three hours. And the red one whenever you feel like... you know.

Hi Chance,
I might be ready to make the jump to your reality, or I could learn to control myself with the blue pill. With that said, am I really causing any harm expressing myself? Anyway, I took your pills and changed them about a bit. Now I've made a green pill for my own satisfaction. Care to try?

Edited by =(:5/7A!I:)=, 27 March 2012 - 10:13 AM.

#52 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 8288 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

I personally think that the lack of moderators in GIaD isn't that bad... it's the lack of good posts. I've done my weekly skim-n-replying and half of the topics I didn't notice last week were quite short and hadn't much interesting stuff to discuss. Except a few ones with huge I'm-gonna-have-these-features text dumps that didn't leave any room for discussing.

Perhaps I've just gotten so old that I get nostalgic and say "They don't make them like they used to do anymore!" about everything, but it feels we had better topics before.

#53 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7348 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:41 AM

I personally think that the lack of moderators in GIaD isn't that bad... it's the lack of good posts.

Sadly, that's true. And stricter moderation won't necessarily solve that -- it'll just remove those bad topics.

That's why I favor a looser, more "member-moderated" approach like we have now. When bad topics show up, the members themselves push the OP into supplying more detail and actually creating a design. So instead of just having a closed topic, it's a learning experience for the OP (and others).

Of course, this doesn't always work. Some topics are just a waste and should be closed by a moderator. But many bad topics can evolve into something interesting, when the right members participate.

Edited by chance, 27 March 2012 - 12:29 PM.

#54 masterofhisowndomain

masterofhisowndomain

The Designer

• GMC Member
  • 3650 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:00 PM

The "member-moderated" approach you talk about chance, at least from my perspective, came about when I realised that there were simply too many topics that broke or bended the rules, and too little moderating presence to do anything about them - in this situation I tried to advise the OP on how they could refigure their topic to better serve their intentions and those of the forum.

It's a learning experience, but it's also quite tiring work sometimes, and it would be more persuasive coming from a moderator. I sometimes find that a decent request for more information etc., which I'm basing on past experience and good intentions, is ignored or retorted by a member who doesn't understand or isn't willing to understand what is the right and wrong type of topic. This is not a common response, but it does happen, unfortunately.

#55 Takagi

Takagi

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 4279 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:09 PM

Perhaps I've just gotten so old that I get nostalgic and say "They don't make them like they used to do anymore!" about everything, but it feels we had better topics before.

This.

The GI&D forum has been my little pet since before I was in high school... so that's what, 7-8 years? And its been decreasing in quality it seems. The first year was me just seeing what type of discussion the forum could facilitate, and then I began to have a very clear image of what the forums should have been, and trying to nudge it in that direction. Sadly, just moderating isn't enough-- to get it there, we need members who actually participate in the topics and try to steer topics in the right

The vision for the forum is totally different from what it is now, and that's pretty sad. I was thinking it could be used for topics like this:
1. Topics about general game design theory/concepts: I wrote a topic about talking about how multiplayer games often try to level the playing field between more inexperienced players and pros (like the blue shell in Mario Kart), and I was trying to facilitate a discussion on what worked, what didn't, and talking about the merits of having a system to level the playing field.
2. Topics about asking for specific feedback on a game concept/story: Let's say for instance, I have a unique game mechanic (let's say, a fighting system for an RPG), but there's an issue with the mechanics or something. You try to describe it, and ask for ways to fix it up.

Sadly, the forum has been used consistently for "Hey, here's my game idea, my story.... do you like it? is it good?" It doesn't facilitate discussion!

#56 greep

greep

Menaces with Spikes

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:59 PM

Heh, maybe we should make a thread "what to do about GI&D". I don't think "degenerate" threads are quite so bad for GI&D, though, that's not even why I made the thread (spam/illegal posts was). People asking questions about problems regarding their game does happen, and there's not enough bad threads to just drown them out and shove them out of view. Besides, regulars of GI&D know the signs pretty well:

Wall of text in OP = ignore/poke mild fun of/try and coax specifics

Nondescript title/"What do you" in the title = don't even read

At worst all they do is give GI&D a bad name. TBH I think a lot of these thread posts stem from the fact that GMC doesn't have an "off-topic" or similar forum. Ideally, people without constructive questions won't post them, but as we all know they will instead find the most apt forum and post it there. This almost always happens to be GI&D. Besides, is "Is my game idea good?" so bad a question? If your game is so bad nobody likes it, at least we may get saved a really bad game in WIP and save them a few dozen hours :whistle: Would the thread probably belong better in another sub-forum? Well probably, except not really since there's no garbage dump forum here.

Edited by greep, 27 March 2012 - 09:12 PM.

#57 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7348 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:29 PM

It's a learning experience, but it's also quite tiring work sometimes, and it would be more persuasive coming from a moderator.

I agree completely. Moderators would be useful there. I'm just saying that helping to guide salvageable topics back on track can be anyone's job -- not just a moderator's. And either way, it's often better than closing topics.

Sadly, the forum has been used consistently for "Hey, here's my game idea, my story.... do you like it? is it good?" It doesn't facilitate discussion!

True. But even when authors don't ask for help with one specific area, members are quick to identify problem areas and offer suggestions.

So it boils down to whether authors actually say that magic phrase "I could use help with improving [insert area]". It doesn't really change the outcome of the topic.

Edited by chance, 27 March 2012 - 10:10 PM.

#58 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:33 PM

I've been working on design documents for different parts of Myriad Online, would I be able to post those in Game & Design to get feedback? I would now, but there might end up being quite a few and I feel like they would deserve their owner topic as some go quite in depth.

Edited by True Valhalla, 27 March 2012 - 10:34 PM.

#59 greep

greep

Menaces with Spikes

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:10 PM

Edit:Yeah people used to always just make a giant sister thread for their WIP game in GI&D. Not sure why that fell out of fashion really.

Edited by greep, 28 March 2012 - 12:26 AM.

#60 =(:5/7A!I:)=

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:42 AM

http://gmc.yoyogames...1

NO. I am not sorry for what I did.

What about the last time you made a topic. That was an evil occasion, wasn't it? There was oh no consent there was there?

Edited by =(:5/7A!I:)=, 28 March 2012 - 12:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users