16 replies to this topic

#1 Raniero

Raniero

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:18 AM

Hello, I read that it's not possible to get lincenses for older Game Maker versions. So, I would be forced to use the "Not Registred" versions of Game Maker 6 or Game Maker 7 forever?? If so, explain me the reason at least, and tell me if it's really impossible to get licences (except in an unlawful way, of course).

#2 Plastic

Plastic

GMC Member

• 28 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:06 PM

The current version of GameMaker is 8.1. In certain situations you might want to use an older version of GameMaker, for example when you have an editable version of an old game. you may have an old PC therfore want to use version 5, as this version requires considerably less computer resources. And if you still run Windows 98 you cannot use version 7 so must use version 6.1.

On this page you can download old version of GameMaker. However, please realize that you can no longer obtain registration keys for old versions. Also realize that the new editable games with extension .gmk cannot be read by older versions. ([/post]http://wiki.yoyogames.com/index.php/Old_Game_Maker_Versions[/post])

This is what I found on the YoYoGames Game Maker Wiki.

Edited by Plastic, 16 March 2012 - 03:07 PM.

#3 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 6822 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

On this page you can download old version of GameMaker. However, please realize that you can no longer obtain registration keys for old versions. Also realize that the new editable games with extension .gmk cannot be read by older versions. ([/post]http://wiki.yoyogames.com/index.php/Old_Game_Maker_Versions[/post])

This is what I found on the YoYoGames Game Maker Wiki.

Did you actually read that page? :wink: A YYG/wiki editor should just delete the "Other Versions" section -- and replace it with "older versions of GM are no longer available".

Hello, I read that it's not possible to get lincenses for older Game Maker versions. So, I would be forced to use the "Not Registred" versions of Game Maker 6 or Game Maker 7 forever?? If so, explain me the reason at least, and tell me if it's really impossible to get licences (except in an unlawful way, of course).

YoYoGames answers your question on their FAQ page:

Unfortunately we no longer support older versions of GameMaker in light of constant improvements to current version and future development work on these. We apologise that we can no longer supply links to download these but we are confident that you will find GameMaker 8.1 a superior product in its place.

Edited by chance, 16 March 2012 - 10:11 PM.

#4 mrpeanut188

mrpeanut188

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 814 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:46 AM

...8.1...superior product

NO. Heck, my upgrade from GM8 to 8.1 didn't work. Game Maker 8.1 doesn't run on my 64-bit Windows 7. All post 8 versions do not work. The HTML 5 download, I cannot even get to where you enter the license. Same with 8.1 So much for buying HTML-5. (Oh yeah, I also meet at specified requirements for both.)

[Edit]
Forgot, I also wrote THREE tickets to YoYo's mojo helpdesk since 8.1 came out, with months between sending.

[Edit2]
Just wait just over 56 years, that is when the YoYo copyright goes off in the U.S. ONLY 56 year for Game Maker 7....

Edited by mrpeanut188, 18 March 2012 - 02:49 AM.

#5 Futhark

Futhark

• GMC Member
  • 874 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:28 AM

[...] Game Maker 8.1 doesn't run on my 64-bit Windows 7 [...]

I'm using Win7 64-bit and have been able to use GM8.1 without any troubles popping up. Then again, I just got it yesterday BUT have been tinkering with it just about continuously since then but I had also been playing with the Lite version, on the same computer, for a few weeks prior without any hic-ups either.

I would ask you what specific issue you are experiencing or what error message(s) you are getting, but I wouldn't be able to help out, sorry. I'm just a newbie!

I know notheeng!
[/SgtSchultz]

#6 Scarecrowman

Scarecrowman

GMC Member

• 37 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

After being subjected by this YoYo bureaucracy... I tried to find my old liscence for Game_Maker 7.0.
I even contacted them about it... but they said the information was no longer on their records.

We apologise that we can no longer supply links to download these but we are confident that you will find GameMaker 8.1 a superior product in its place.

I apologise that you will no longer recieve my business, but I am confident that this is bullsh*t!

Edited by Scarecrowman, 29 May 2012 - 02:39 PM.

#7 Futhark

Futhark

• GMC Member
  • 874 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

After being subjected by this YoYo bureaucracy... I tried to find my old liscence for Game_Maker 7.0.
I even contacted them about it... but they said the information was no longer on their records...

Who did you contact about your licence for GM7.0?

I have no issues getting my licence for GM7.0, got it via email recently from SoftCrap or whatever it's called.

#8 Scarecrowman

Scarecrowman

GMC Member

• 37 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:27 PM

I even contacted them about it... but they said the information was no longer on their records...

I have no issues getting my licence for GM7.0, got it via email recently from SoftCrap or whatever it's called.

Oh rally? Softwrap... yeah. I went to the helpdesk with my issue... but we all know how helpful they can be. I'll try softwrap directly... wouldn't hurt.

*EDIT.
My grandma bought my license like 6 years ago. It was her credit card... and I'm not sure what email I used. I fear I'm out of luck here.

Edited by Scarecrowman, 29 May 2012 - 09:01 PM.

#9 Futhark

Futhark

• GMC Member
  • 874 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:42 PM

Oh rally? Softwrap... yeah. I went to the helpdesk with my issue... but we all know how helpful they can be. I'll try softwrap directly... wouldn't hurt.

*EDIT.
My grandma bought my license like 6 years ago. It was her credit card... and I'm not sure what email I used. I fear I'm out of luck here.

Have your grandma send an email to SoftWrap. Include in the email some very specific information that would have been included in the original order, perhaps her full name, address, etc. They should be able to find it based on specific information. But perhaps it's best first to drop them an email explaining the situation and offer to email them the information they require (they will tell you how specific it has to be.) They have been friendly enough with me in the past, and I do know they still have the information I gave them yeaaaars back, as I tested it a few days back.

#10 Scarecrowman

Scarecrowman

GMC Member

• 37 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:37 AM

Have your grandma send an email to SoftWrap. Include in the email some very specific information that would have been included in the original order, perhaps her full name, address, etc. They should be able to find it based on specific information. But perhaps it's best first to drop them an email explaining the situation and offer to email them the information they require (they will tell you how specific it has to be.) They have been friendly enough with me in the past, and I do know they still have the information I gave them yeaaaars back, as I tested it a few days back.

I'll try. Even if I get the license back, I don't have an immediate PC I can work on. Using Mac at the moment... and it has its downsides. :C (Really.)

#11 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 7958 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:33 PM

I even contacted them about it... but they said the information was no longer on their records.

We apologise that we can no longer supply links to download these but we are confident that you will find GameMaker 8.1 a superior product in its place.

I apologise that you will no longer recieve my business, but I am confident that this is bullsh*t!

Why are you making it YYGs responsibility to save your information?

You were provided with the information when it was purchased. You lost it. Take responsibility for your carelessness.

Edited by NakedPaulToast, 01 June 2012 - 04:35 PM.

#12 Super Guy

Super Guy

The Real Superman!

• GMC Member
  • 549 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:31 AM

Why did they stop selling the old ones? They could make money off of people like you. :thumbsup:

Although... I suppose demand would be pretty low.

#13 daz

daz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 799 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:06 PM

Why did they stop selling the old ones? They could make money off of people like you. :thumbsup:

Although... I suppose demand would be pretty low.

It's simple, people who purchase a product want to have support for that product, and YYG doesn't want to provide that support.

#14 Orbitguy

Orbitguy

UNS Lead Guy

• GMC Member
  • 346 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:57 PM

Still though, it just creates a lot of old game maker version uploads on shady sites. I still have GM7... (in addition to 8,8.1,html5, and studio lol) so it's not that far back. Past that is maybe understandable, but GM7 to me I still feel like plenty of people out there have it.

Edited by Orbitguy, 02 June 2012 - 08:58 PM.

#15 Scarecrowman

Scarecrowman

GMC Member

• 37 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:41 PM

Uh... because it IS their responsiblity. :dry:
We're talking about a purchase here. Kind of unprofessional that they don't have it.
I'll admit to being an absent minded dimwit... but lets give credit where credit is due.
They're out of touch with the simple concept of customer service.

It's simple, people who purchase a product want to have support for that product, and YYG doesn't want to provide that support.

Still though, it just creates a lot of old game maker version uploads on shady sites. I still have GM7... (in addition to 8,8.1,html5, and studio lol) so it's not that far back. Past [7.0] that is maybe understandable, but GM7 to me I still feel like plenty of people out there have it.

I guess that's all I'm saying. ^ ;)
And that's why I have animosity.

btw... :GM7: is the BEST!

Edited by Scarecrowman, 04 June 2012 - 05:07 PM.

#16 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 7958 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:29 PM

Uh... because it IS their responsiblity. :dry:
We're talking about a purchase here. Kind of unprofessional that they don't have it.
I'll admit to being an absent minded dimwit... but lets give credit where credit is due.
They're out of touch with the simple concept of customer service.

When you purchase GameMaker it is YYGs responsibility to provide you with your Key and the software once. Not forever.

When you bought it, you were also specifically told to safe keep your information.

Dear Xxxxxxxx Xxxxx

Please save this email and print a copy for safe-keeping as confirmation that you have purchased Game_Maker

Yeah, let's give credit where credit is due. You were given what you needed, you lost it. Your problem.

YYGs should not have to be paying people to read support tickets, look up information and respond because they were careless.

#17 Scarecrowman

Scarecrowman

GMC Member

• 37 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:14 PM

When you purchase GameMaker it is YYGs responsibility to provide you with your Key and the software once. Not forever.

When you bought it, you were also specifically told to safe keep your information.
Yeah, let's give credit where credit is due. You were given what you needed, you lost it. Your problem.

YYGs should not have to be paying people to read support tickets, look up information and respond because they were careless.

Hmmm... well, I suppose you're right. They did send me that and I ignored it. I already admitted to being a dimwit.

:confused:

But I'm not bashing YoYo for no reason. I'm just sayin' they should have thought more about censoring 7.0 right away. I'm still angry about how they handled my help ticket. I really felt put down and unloved.

Even so... why do you care so damn much how I feel about it? Do you work for YoYo Games or something?
Additionally, you're really good at criticizing random people's comments. By all means go right ahead.
Here... let me go get you a megaphone!

:rolleyes:

As far as I'm concerned, YoYo Games still = Mr. Krabs. And if you don't like how I feel... well that's you.

Edited by Scarecrowman, 06 June 2012 - 05:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users