13 replies to this topic

#1 catJACK

catJACK

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:42 PM

Hi guys.
when I test my game in IOS runner the images are very very blurry ( i tried a lots of resolution, etc)
I mentioned that my graphics are made for 480x320~163dpi (I run the runner on my ipod touch gen2).
its normal the be like that in the runner view?the final game will be ok, I mean will have the proper resolution?
thanks

#2 catJACK

catJACK

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:59 PM

anybody here?

#3 fireblade212

fireblade212

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 325 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:16 AM

nvm sorry, know nothing about ios stuff

Edited by fireblade212, 12 March 2012 - 02:16 AM.

#4 Mayhem Games

Mayhem Games

Proud Kiwi

• GMC Member
  • 959 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:10 AM

This has already been talked about... People need to search before posting... :whistle:
http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=533101

#5 Kouri

Kouri

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:46 AM

Currently, GM:S is set up with priority on iOS support. You're expected to develop at a 960 x 640 resolution. It displays properly on an iPhone 4(S), and automatically downscales to 480 x 320 on previous iPhone models.

The downside is that anything that isn't an iPhone 4(S), iPad, or large Android tablet has the game resolution quartered automatically, regardless of the target screen size in relation to the viewport.

#6 catJACK

catJACK

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:46 AM

Currently, GM:S is set up with priority on iOS support. You're expected to develop at a 960 x 640 resolution. It displays properly on an iPhone 4(S), and automatically downscales to 480 x 320 on previous iPhone models.

The downside is that anything that isn't an iPhone 4(S), iPad, or large Android tablet has the game resolution quartered automatically, regardless of the target screen size in relation to the viewport.

thank you so much , you are right
I develop at a 960 x 640 resolution and its looking super on my ipod (480x320).
so I don't need to make anything, the images will resize automatically for lower resolution right?

But if I develop for Ipad 1024, how will work on Ipod??

#7 GameDevDan

GameDevDan

YoYo Games Staff

• Administrators
  • 1199 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

Since the aspect ratio of iPad and iPhone screens is different it might look a little squished. I'd suggest using some sort of system to detect the screen res and change your games' view ports at the start of the game.

#8 Kouri

Kouri

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:58 PM

Since the aspect ratio of iPad and iPhone screens is different it might look a little squished. I'd suggest using some sort of system to detect the screen res and change your games' view ports at the start of the game.

Pretty much this. While the aspect ratios are a bit different, the difference between the iPod's 960 x 640 screen and the iPad's 1024 x 768 isn't -too- great. I would personally suggest developing for the 960 x 640 screen, then checking for an iPad scren:

//if we're on an iOS device
if (os_type == os_ios)
{
    //Check if we're on an iPad (landscape)
    if (display_get_width() == 1024 && display_get_height == 768)
    {
        //And alter the view port to fit
        view_wview[0] = 1024;
        view_wport[0] = 1024;
        view_hview[0] = 768;
        view_hport[0] = 768;
    }
    else
    //Check if we're on an iPad (portrait)
    if (display_get_width() == 768 && display_get_height == 1024)
    {
        view_wview[0] = 768;
        view_wport[0] = 768;
        view_hview[0] = 1024;
        view_hport[0] = 1024;
    }

//Then go on with Virtual Keys and other such iOS-specific code
}

You may also want to run a check for the new iPad's 2048 x 1536 screen, though you could get by with the same resources, unless you wanted to make a separate HD version to take advantage of the extra pixels.

#9 catJACK

catJACK

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

Pretty much this. While the aspect ratios are a bit different, the difference between the iPod's 960 x 640 screen and the iPad's 1024 x 768 isn't -too- great. I would personally suggest developing for the 960 x 640 screen, then checking for an iPad scren:

//if we're on an iOS device
if (os_type == os_ios)
{
    //Check if we're on an iPad (landscape)
    if (display_get_width() == 1024 && display_get_height == 768)
    {
        view_wview[0] = 1024;
        view_wport[0] = 1024;
        view_hview[0] = 768;
        view_hport[0] = 768;
    }
    else
    //Check if we're on an iPad (portrait)
    if (display_get_width() == 768 && display_get_height == 1024)
    {
        view_wview[0] = 768;
        view_wport[0] = 768;
        view_hview[0] = 1024;
        view_hport[0] = 1024;
    }

//Then go on with Virtual Keys and other such iOS-specific code
}

You may also want to run a check for the new iPad's 2048 x 1536 screen, though you could get by with the same resources, unless you wanted to make a separate HD version to take advantage of the extra pixels.

wow, thank you man
really cool guys here!!! :thumbsup:
and were I will insert this code? ~ noob

#10 GM Studios

GM Studios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:38 PM

Currently, GM:S is set up with priority on iOS support. You're expected to develop at a 960 x 640 resolution. It displays properly on an iPhone 4(S), and automatically downscales to 320 x 480 on previous iPhone models.

Quick question I don't seem to have this problem at all I have my game which is by 480x320 and i don't have any blurriness what so ever tested on my iPhone 4 not S , My question is this was I just lucky and will it differ from device?

I suppose it would be advisable for me to adjust the game to 960 x 640 just to be on the safe side.

#11 catJACK

catJACK

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

Currently, GM:S is set up with priority on iOS support. You're expected to develop at a 960 x 640 resolution. It displays properly on an iPhone 4(S), and automatically downscales to 320 x 480 on previous iPhone models.

Quick question I don't seem to have this problem at all I have my game which is by 480x320 and i don't have any blurriness what so ever tested on my iPhone 4 not S , My question is this was I just lucky and will it differ from device?

I suppose it would be advisable for me to adjust the game to 960 x 640 just to be on the safe side.

good question!

#12 Cakefish

Cakefish

I Shot The Sheriff

• GMC Member
  • 1468 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:27 PM

This is a massive problem for Android. So basically I will have to create everything at 1600x960 (double my Galaxy SII's WVGA screen res)? This will push up file size (and consequently loading times) considerably. Luckily Mike has acknowledged that not everything should revolve around Apple and has said they are working on a fix for Android.

#13 Kouri

Kouri

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

The iPhone 4/S both use 960 x 480 screen resolutions, and the runner finds this to be an acceptable size and doesn't scale. If you set up the game for 960 x 640, you'll find the game should appear somewhat sharper. Either way, your device will never see the downsizing issue others are mentioning.

This is a massive problem for Android. So basically I will have to create everything at 1600x960 (double my Galaxy SII's WVGA screen res)? This will push up file size (and consequently loading times) considerably. Luckily Mike has acknowledged that not everything should revolve around Apple and has said they are working on a fix for Android.

There appears to be some unwritten rule about -when- the runner auto-scales. I don't think the issue is intentionally an Android vs iOS thing, but rather the GMS Android Runner's resolution cut-off point. For example, I noticed the downscaling on my 960 x 540 Atrix screen, but have not experienced that issue on my 1280 x 800 Galaxy Note. I reason that the runner is set up to quarter the resolution for any device screen lower than 960 x 640, which is a huge problem for the majority of Android users. A perhaps better solution would be to set the cut-off to screens under 800 x 480. However, the issue currently is what it is, and it might be in your interest to develop to a 1920 x 1080 screen resolution to accomodate the wave of full-HD screens coming to tablets and the qHD 960 x 540 screens coming to handsets.

Edited by Pabloco, 13 March 2012 - 02:00 PM.

#14 Cakefish

Cakefish

I Shot The Sheriff

• GMC Member
  • 1468 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

Ok so I doubled the res of all my assets and view_port etc. to 960x1600. And the runner STILL scales the .apk down, not by a quarter but by a factor of nine!!! What the heck is going on here? Nomatter what I do the runner is scaling down to 320x533? I want 480x800 HELP!

Edited by Cakefish, 13 March 2012 - 02:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users