9 replies to this topic

#1 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2549 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:12 PM

With the limitations on texture pages, they'll be no doubt that it's going to be something we need to keep an eye on. Whilst developing Legena, I've been using a texture calculator I whipped up in Excel to make sure we never go over the limit.

So I've decided to make a much more viewable version and bring it here.

Texture Page Calculator - Version 1

Let me explain how it works. In the top corner of the sheet, the values 5, 1024 and 1024 provide you with a calculation of how many pixels in total you have for your project and how many pages in total you use.

As you add sprites, you provide the values for the sprite name, width, height and how many frames that sprite has and the number of pixels in total it will use. The calculator will then deduct the total number of pixels used by that sprite from the number of pixels you have left to use and tells you how many pixels are left to use at your mercy. I've also provided a rounded up value for how many texture pages you've used.

I hope this will help people out and I'd love to hear feedback on the texture page calculator.

Happy deving guys (I will produce a more pretty topic later lol)

EDIT: PS if you like the tool, you can always give me a +1 Rep :tongue:

Edited by King Tetiro, 11 March 2012 - 04:24 PM.

If I have provided feedback on a game of yours, it would be epic if you do the same!
LND_Twitter_Icon.png Leon_Topic_Icon.png

Leon [PC]  | |Texture Page Calculator for GMStudio | Analog Sticks for GMStudio

#2 Exe_Mas

Exe_Mas

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

This is very useful! Thank you!

#3 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2549 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

This is very useful! Thank you!

Glad to hear! Spread the word! This was a real help when spriting Legena's resources. Only fair I shared it with everyone else

If I have provided feedback on a game of yours, it would be epic if you do the same!

#4 Exe_Mas

Exe_Mas

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:57 PM

I have read somewhere that the page limit won't be 5... but then, I read somewhere again that for android if you wanna have not blurred graphics, you'll have to use the 5 page limit. I'm very confused about it, but soon with the final version we will have the finals specifications. Lucky, you'r system is very customizable, and you can change the page limit as you want :).

#5 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2549 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:25 PM

I have read somewhere that the page limit won't be 5... but then, I read somewhere again that for android if you wanna have not blurred graphics, you'll have to use the 5 page limit. I'm very confused about it, but soon with the final version we will have the finals specifications. Lucky, you'r system is very customizable, and you can change the page limit as you want :).

Do you have a source for the page limit being more than 5?

#6 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2549 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:15 AM

I'll be updating the spreadsheet a bit tomorrow. Try to improve a few things on it

#7 Meetle

Meetle

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:42 AM

Thanks for sharing. Very nice indeed.

Edited by Meetle, 28 March 2012 - 09:42 AM.

#8 vann

vann

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 356 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:03 AM

Do you have a source for the page limit being more than 5?

I had read this too, probably here:

http://gmc.yoyogames...dpost&p=3896054

Either way, the calculator is a good idea. I'm sure I also read somewhere that GMS will later receive some asset management tools to get information similar to this. Sorry I cant find a source for that though.

Edited by vann, 28 March 2012 - 11:11 AM.

#9 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2549 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:53 PM

Hey guys, I'm just wondering if there's any parts of the calculator you think needs to be improved?

#10 Manuel777

Manuel777

InvaderGames

• GMC Member
  • 3578 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:33 AM

Havent tried as I dont personaly have texture page problems at alll, but does it calculate texels as well?

@MEtchegaray7

gplussignature.png

May this signature be frozen on the old GMC until the end of times. Or YoYo takes it down.