3 replies to this topic

#1 1 Shogun

1 Shogun

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 48 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:45 AM

Replacing the default GM icon of your game with your own; works for other file types too (MacOSX only):

Step 1: Find the icon or image you want to use.

Step 2: Place image in "MacOS" folder of the game's app contents folder (just in case).

Step 3: Open image with Preview.

Step 4: Select part or all of the image and then copy.

Step 5: Right-click the game app and then select Get Info.

Step 6: Click the little icon near the top left of the Get Info of the game app.

Step 7: While the icon is "selected," go up to Finder menu and select "paste." That's it!

If you have an app or folder from something that has an icon you like and want to use (with "permission" of course) all you got to do is "Get Info" on both the game app and other app/folder and select the desired top left icon, copy, and then select the top left icon in game app's "Get Info" and paste as mentioned in the above steps but without the need of an editor.

By the way, I'm well aware of the existence of apps that create icon files from images, but in my opinion they are completely unnecessary for MacOSX.

#2 vonStauffenberg

vonStauffenberg

GMC Member

• 25 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:57 AM

I take good note Posted Image

#3 GameDevDan

GameDevDan

YoYo Games Staff

• Administrators
  • 1200 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:52 PM

You can also use this :) http://iconverticons.com/

#4 1 Shogun

1 Shogun

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 48 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:30 PM

Yeah, but when you load an icon, people who are currently on the the main page can technically steal it (RightClick --> View Image) even though they claim in the "Frequently Asked Questions" that converted images can't be downloaded because of copyright issues. And for those who are reading and don't know, the site: http://iconverticons.com/ displays the last twelve converted images in real time. I understand that the likely-hood of someone waiting to steal your icon isn't very likely but if your like me and want to use graphics you made yourself (none of them on YoYo so don't bother), the thought is enough to not recommend this, especially if the icon in question will be used commercially. And if you do decide to use the site, the "Finder ready" (.hqx) icon format will just tell you to replace the current icon like I mention at the top. It would also be a good idea to contact the site as to the matter of what they do with uploaded images besides the conversion. But on a good note, the images that can be viewed are very small but so are icons.

P.S. The conversion of the icon is at a set size. If you do the first method I mentioned above, the image can be any size and if you were to copy and the icon from the "Get Info" box, open and paste from clipboard in Preview.app (basically reverse engineer) then you can see all the size possibilities (256x256 to 16x16; it's automatic and can be changed). You don't need a converter even if you decide to port to Windows in this manner. Just save as "icns" and load it through GM settings. The easy icon method works for anything on a Mac, including txt files (neat idea if you want your game's data files to look interesting).

By the way, my first GM was version 5.

Edited by 1 Shogun, 12 March 2012 - 04:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users