283 replies to this topic

#1 NAL

NAL

HELLO MOTHER ༼ つ ◕3◕ ༽つ

• GMC Elder
  • 880 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

Please note: This is not an officially endorsed topic, I'm just passing the news on.

For anyone not aware, YoYo Games has now announced the pricing for GameMaker: Studio.

The price is:

$99 for the base: Windows C++ runner and Mac exports, along with all Studio's new features.

$200 each for the additional export modules - iOS, Android, HTML5, and Symbian. This does not cover costs such as Apple's iOS developer licensing (around $99?). You will also require a Mac to publish to iOS as far as I know - this is Apple's requirement, not anything YYG could have bypassed.

GM:HTML5 owners get the base and the HTML5 export module for free ($299 when bought through Studio's options).

Source: Link

FAQ

Q. How long does the GM:HTML5>Studio offer last?

A. Until a cut-off point is announced by YoYo Games. That has yet to occur, so it remains valid and will do until further notice.

Q. What's the difference between GameMaker: Studio and GameMaker 8.1?

A. Studio as it will initially be released will be an advancement of the GameMaker 8.1 codebase, which is written in Delphi. Studio offers cross-platform development with minimal porting effort (GML remains the same between all exports, you just have to take certain platform limitations into account), as well as many additions such as Box2D physics which makes up the extra cost.

Q. Who is GameMaker:Studio targeted at?

A. GameMaker:Studio is intended mainly for professionals, and for hobbyists serious about getting into mobile development. It is not geared towards casual creators - GameMaker:Standard and GameMaker:Lite serve that purpose primarily. The reason it's at the higher price point and for this market is because the market will know all about the procedures for submitting games to various places, something that is costlier (Apple for instance require you to own a Mac and a $100-yearly publishing license), and far more complicated, than simply throwing out an .EXE and uploading it to the nearest free game portal. Mobile development also opens up a lot more channels for earning money.

Q. I'm using the Beta, and I've found an issue. Where can I submit it?

A. Go to the Bugs Database. Ensure you submit it to the correct project. Also try to fill in as many details, and as best you can. Please don't crank up the Priority if it's not a genuinely high-priority issue. Also, do a quick search for some basic keywords to see if the bug's already been submitted. It's not the end of the world if you post a duplicate bug, but less repetition means less unnecessary stuff to wade through and resultantly faster bug fixing.

Q. Why is GameMaker:Studio so expensive?

A. If you're asking this, then Studio probably isn't for you. For anyone accustomed to publishing to iOS App Store, Google Play etc, or even has just done some research on sales figures, you'll know the potential money you can make from games submitted to them. Even only a slightly well-downloaded game will return you back the money you spend on Studio, plus extra. Example: you buy Studio and the Android exporter ($300), as well as a license to publish to Google Play ($20). If you sell your apps for $1 each, which returns you 70 cents for every sale, 460 sales in total will get you your money back - with anything else as profit you can use on things like moving into iOS publishing too, or simply as cash in your pocket to live off or have fun with!

Of course, for anyone making games for fun rather than profit, those of you that are simply very young to which $300+ is a huge amount of money, and those of you that know the native languages these platforms use, Studio isn't going to be your thing - at least not yet for the former two examples. But anyone with ambition, an eye for a bit of cash, and a desire to have life that little bit easier and more fun, GameMaker:Studio's a great investment. :)

Q. What about GameMaker 9?

A. This is so far off, we are not answering ANY questions on it just now. Nothing has been decided, and no features set. This is all we'll say on the matter for now.

Edited by NAL, 27 March 2012 - 12:02 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:06 PM

Looks like I'm saving a lot with my GM-html5 upgrade to GM base+html5.
HTML5 games for mobile:
HexDogs Bugz Burn! Captain George Golfing Block Memory

Games for Androids
*NEW* Word Dog - Published by Dangerous_Dave

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.
Use the quicksort to sort ds_lists 10-18 times faster than ds_list_sort()!

#3 Cakefish

Cakefish

I Shot The Sheriff

• GMC Member
  • 1477 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:08 PM

* £126.42225 (current exchange rate)

Well, I'm game. Messing around with the Studio beta and my Samsung Galaxy SII is the most fun I've had with GM in donkeys years :D

And the offer of Studio for all us HTML5 owners is very generous of YoYo indeed! :thumbsup:

Edited by Cakefish, 08 March 2012 - 10:17 PM.

2a7ubuv.jpg

#4 TheSnidr

TheSnidr

Heavy metal viking dentist

• GMC Elder
  • 3345 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

Does the HTML5-to-Studio offer still count? If so it might be time for me to buy it

#5 NAL

NAL

HELLO MOTHER ༼ つ ◕3◕ ༽つ

• GMC Elder
  • 880 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

Does the HTML5-to-Studio offer still count? If so it might be time for me to buy it

I'm not sure. However, there has been no official cut-off point announced and the promise is that GM:HTML5 owners get the base+HTML5 of Studio for free, so I'd say it's more than likely it still counts.

Posted Image

#6 CaptainLepidus

CaptainLepidus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 852 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:12 PM

Good news! Happy I already bought GM:H. By the way, out of interest, will new HTML5 buyers still get the free GM:Studio+HTML5? <-Looks like I was ninja'd.

Also, I just realized for new users wanting to get HTML5, the only reason to buy Studio (and thus pay an extra $200) would be to get Mac exporting. I think HTML5 exporting should be only $100 when bought with studio.

Edited by CaptainLepidus, 08 March 2012 - 10:20 PM.

"The reason programming is addictive is the same reason a good game is addictive: it constantly feeds you with a sense of minor accomplishment on your way to [achieving] the greater goal."

Yal

Planning to build a network of like-minded, innovative GameMaker developers, connected by a set of tools for building awesome games. Interested? PM me.

#7 needsfoodbadly

needsfoodbadly

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:34 PM

GM:HTML5 owners get the base and the HTML5 export module for free ($299 when bought through Studio's options).
Source: Link

Ha ha! Once again, the conservative, sandwich-heavy portfolio pays off for the hungry investor! ^_^

I was a bit reluctant at first to make this purchase not because I can't spare a hundred bucks but mostly because I'm cheap as hell.

#8 sin_of_nature

sin_of_nature

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:43 PM

$99 for base is good. $200 for each module is bit steeper than I was hoping. That makes it a pretty hefty $900 for the full package. Wonder if they'll be doing deals for multiple/bundle purchases. Yes, I'm aware that you should in theory be able to make that money back, but that's ALOT of 69p and 49p app purchases to even break even. Guess I'll just have to be selective about which modules to buy.

Agree with the previous HTML5 comment. You may as well buy the HTML5 seperately and use the free upgrade (save $101) or they should drop it to match the current price $99.

Edited by sin_of_nature, 08 March 2012 - 10:59 PM.

#9 GM Studios

GM Studios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:00 PM

That's really good pricing especially when you consider other development tools some costing $499 just for the year!! It's even better to know i'll be saving quite a bit since I purchased html5, i'm so glad my loyalty to Gamemaker has paid off lol.

Turret Turmoil Shoot, strike and explode your way through wave after wave of heavily armoured enemies. html5

Dungeon Sweep Ready your sword you've got some slaying to do!
Simply Kids Instruments Colourful and musical! what more could you want? iOS
Parapals The most adorable parachuting game on iOS, html5
Simply Kids Colouring Colouring fun for everyone! iOS, html5
Munch Monsters The html5 game that will get you craving candy
Missile Madness Accept your mission and protect your city from disaster!
Rainblox Colourful, Match-able and of course pop-able

Follow me on Twitter: @GMStudios

Like me on Facebook: /GamingMadnessStudios

#10 alpha_centauri

alpha_centauri

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:11 PM

will beta testers be entitled to a discount?!

#11 needsfoodbadly

needsfoodbadly

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:45 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb and say a big fat no.

What has been stated is that people who have purchased GM:HTML5 before Studio's release will get an upgrade to GMS + HTML5 for free, saving the aforementioned hundred-ish bucks.

The guy who stumbles into the site the day after the discount ends is probably gonna be pretty pissed. :/

#12 GM Studios

GM Studios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 190 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:06 AM

I very much doubt it. Though they may send out a slight discount to those on the mailing list sometime, if I recall correctly I think I got one for gm html5 though I could be getting mixed up with something else entirely but you should sign up (if you haven't already) just in case.

Now that the price has been more or less confirmed where's my release date! :tongue:

Edited by GM Studios, 09 March 2012 - 12:07 AM.

Turret Turmoil Shoot, strike and explode your way through wave after wave of heavily armoured enemies. html5

#13 VikingAntics

VikingAntics

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 217 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:02 AM

I don't know. I am kind of surprised at the pricing of the modules. I think one time charge of $200 per module is a fair price, but to be honest, I would have preferred a yearly subscription at a lower cost. There are just so many development alternatives these days, subscription based pricing gives you the flexibility without blowing out your budget. And if you find a product isn't what you expected, it doesn't hurt so much when you switch. The developer licenses we have to purchase (i.e. Apple developer $99/year) don't lock us into any one product, so that expense is static. Not to mention, a subscription would give YoYo recurring revenue for years to come. I'm sure they debated the heck out of this decision before they made it, so I'm not second guessing. It just caught me off guard. I will probably still purchase the Android and iOS modules, but it was a given yesterday. Today it requires some more research into other products.

FF_Viking-Antics_Small.png               ParticleGizmo.png

#14 MashMashMash

MashMashMash

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:13 AM

A splendid price. Cheers, YoYo Games!

#15 iSeiren

iSeiren

www.worrall.pw

• GMC Member
  • 633 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:30 AM

So, people who own GM:HTML5 get Studio BASE and HTML5 module for free?

Professional Mobile app Developer

#16 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:36 AM

So, people who own GM:HTML5 get Studio BASE and HTML5 module for free?

Yes.
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.

#17 cotycrg

cotycrg

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 874 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:53 AM

Oh man...$200 PER module? That's insane. I guess it's a good thing I have HTML5 since day 1, though. (I really wish it'd be dropped a bit for the PER module purchase.. I really thought the point of this was to 'code once for all devices')

Oh well. Looks like I'm only getting the Android addon! (Also, personally; I'd never buy the 'base' package if it weren't that it would be required for the addon for Android/iOS, because I thought the point of Standard was for PC only, HTML5 being the first addon, and Android/iOS being the final 'layer' to the pricing)

#18 Despicable

Despicable

can't make games

• GMC Member
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:26 AM

The price is:

$99 for the base: Windows C++ runner and Mac exports, along with all Studio's new features.

$200 each for the additional export modules - iOS, Android, HTML5, and Symbian.

Humm.. I was hoping that the studio would cost less than that. :(

I decided to wait for the GM:S instead of buying GM:HTML5, and that costs me couple hundred bucks. (I guess I was just stupid)
I wanted to buy studio with HTML+iOS, but that would be 499$(that's the price of an iPad) , and if I have bought the GM:HTML5, it would only cost 299$.

Now I'm just wandering if I really should buy it, since I don't have a Mac, and I need one for iOS app development, and that costs me about a thousand dollars.

I really love and enjoy programming, but maybe I should just stick with the GM8.0...

Feel free to ask me any GM related questions through @__despicable!

#19 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:27 AM

Oh man...$200 PER module? That's insane. I guess it's a good thing I have HTML5 since day 1, though. (I really wish it'd be dropped a bit for the PER module purchase.. I really thought the point of this was to 'code once for all devices')

Oh well. Looks like I'm only getting the Android addon! (Also, personally; I'd never buy the 'base' package if it weren't that it would be required for the addon for Android/iOS, because I thought the point of Standard was for PC only, HTML5 being the first addon, and Android/iOS being the final 'layer' to the pricing)

I think the point of Standard is to be cheap&accessible.
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

#20 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:38 AM

The price is:

$200 each for the additional export modules - iOS, Android, HTML5, and Symbian.

I decided to wait for the GM:S instead of buying GM:HTML5, and that costs me couple hundred bucks. (I guess I was just stupid)
I wanted to buy studio with HTML+iOS, but that would be 499$(that's the price of an iPad) , and if I have bought the GM:HTML5, it would only cost 299$.

Now I'm just wandering if I really should buy it, since I don't have a Mac, and I need one for iOS app development, and that costs me about a thousand dollars.

I really love and enjoy programming, but maybe I should just stick with the GM8.0...

You can still buy GH:HTML5 for $99. Then you'll get Windows, Mac and the HTML5 exports with your free Studio.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#21 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:56 AM

Glad I am getting a free module for winning the GMC jam (since I already had HTML5)! In total that's $500 worth of software for the original $79 I paid for HTML5. How awesome is that! I can't wait.

Whoa, what? They were giving away modules as prizes?! D:
*/missed opportunity*
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

#22 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:07 AM

Glad I am getting a free module for winning the GMC jam (since I already had HTML5)! In total that's $500 worth of software for the original $79 I paid for HTML5. How awesome is that! I can't wait.

Whoa, what? They were giving away modules as prizes?! D:
*/missed opportunity*

They weren't giving modules as prizes, but because TV won and he had already bought HTML5 YYGs substituted a module.

Just another example of how classy, gracious and generous YYGs is.

TVs probably been bursting at the seams wanting to share that but couldn't till now. Good job TV.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#23 GStick

GStick

All Secrets Exposed

• GMC Member
  • 1961 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:12 AM

Ah this isn't bad at all. Not everyone will be buying every module, so the price point for those is really fair. It's good news for the people who bought GMHTML5 too, you guys got a sweet deal. $99 feels a bit generous but I can see why they'd price it like that. It makes GM fit into just about every price range.

Posted Image
The next generation of Game Maker fighting games? More like the best.
Showdown Academy | Showdown Academy Blog

Check out my new album at last.fm: KatazTrophee

#24 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:18 AM

Ouch, $200.

That's quite a lot of money.

#25 bobhoil

bobhoil

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1606 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:30 AM

Sounds like time to start saving for the android module! I already have games remade for mobile and ready to deploy so gonna have to make the jump. Maybe they will have a pre-order deal or something? I already have html5 so I am good to go on that front.

300x50.png 

Check out my website at: BobHoil.com

#26 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:31 AM

[snip]
They weren't giving modules as prizes, but because TV won and he had already bought HTML5 YYGs substituted a module.

Just another example of how classy, gracious and generous YYGs is.

TVs probably been bursting at the seams wanting to share that but couldn't till now. Good job TV.

Oooh, right!
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

#27 scurvycapn

scurvycapn

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 188 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:10 AM

I think the pricing is in just the right spot. It's cheap enough for hobbyists to jump in and get their games up and running on the platform of their choice, and still cheap enough for people (or small teams) a little more serious to target a couple of platforms.

I don't have wild dreams of making money on the Android market. Heck, with my attention span, I'd be amazed if I ever actually release anything anyway. But for a measly $200? Sure, why not?

#28 needsfoodbadly

needsfoodbadly

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:35 AM

You can still get HTML5 for 99 bucks right now. Studio is in BETA. It's not released yet. So, that would cost you $299.00 not $499.00.

Edit: Aw, someone beat me to it. Someone should message that guy.

Edited by needsfoodbadly, 09 March 2012 - 04:36 AM.

#29 Destron

Destron

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1361 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:58 AM

Glad to hear some info on final pricing and I think its perfect. I especially like the modules idea. I will make use of the HTML and Android modules but I don't own a single Apple device so those modules are useless to me, it's good to know I don't have to pay for something I won't use. I think they hit the pricing head on, it hits that sweet spot of being perfect for the hobbyist and serious developer alike.

I am happy with the price and am excited about the way GMS is headed, great job YoYo.
HTML5 INI Saving Example | HTML5/GMS Saving/Loading/User Login with PHP/MySQL/Async | GameMaker Examples/Tutorials | PHP/MySQL cross platform high score list/leaderboard
Those who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed.

#30 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

The fact you can buy the different exports seperately means you could get GM birthday pressies for years to come if you are worried about the price tag, and make your games inbetween :thumbsup:

#31 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2549 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

I think that the pricing is bang on the head. It's not too expensive and it's not too cheap. This will reduce the number of beginners getting their hands on the HTML5/Android/iOS so we shouldn't have too many "Just because we can develop on HTML5/Android/iOS" games. Though if there are beginners who want to develop on those three and can pay for it, go them.

If I have provided feedback on a game of yours, it would be epic if you do the same!
LND_Twitter_Icon.png Leon_Topic_Icon.png

Leon [PC]  | |Texture Page Calculator for GMStudio | Analog Sticks for GMStudio

#32 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:09 PM

I think that the pricing is bang on the head. It's not too expensive and it's not too cheap. This will reduce the number of beginners getting their hands on the HTML5/Android/iOS so we shouldn't have too many "Just because we can develop on HTML5/Android/iOS" games. Though if there are beginners who want to develop on those three and can pay for it, go them.

Exactly, the last thing we want is to have young people writing games for their phones and tablets.

#33 Cakefish

Cakefish

I Shot The Sheriff

• GMC Member
  • 1477 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:09 PM

Though if there are beginners who want to develop on those three and can pay for it, go them.

Hello Posted Image

(but barely - I'm a student with an expensive scuba diving hobby - help me)

2a7ubuv.jpg

#34 @Alex@

@Alex@

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4734 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:20 PM

$400 for Android & iOS Modules , $99 For iOS Developer Liscence , Which is what £318 judging by the exchange rate posted above. Which is less than a months wages and I don't exactly work a lot. Now presumably you are buying the iOS / Android modules to sell games. The min price on iOS is 69p from this Apple takes 30% . You end up with about 40p from each sale which is a little under 800 sales to recoup your investment, and remember it is an investment. Now I have no experience in the market but 800 sales over the course of a year on possibly more than 1 game doesn't sound that difficult. When I was working with estimates to work out what exactly I would need to sell I was working with a module price of 2/3 rds of these ones which means I wasn't far off in the total estimates since I also calculated in the base product but becuase of the generous offer for HTML5 It doesn't need to be included at all. Sure if you don't already have products to test on / export from such as a Mac , an Android phone and some form of iOS device its doing to be more than double that , possibly even triple.

Now you still code once for all devices you just have to buy extra modules in order to export to all of them. I personally do agree that Base price should be a little more and modules a little less but I don't particulary care, it's their product and the fact they are giving away copies of the base product for free means it does make sense to charge a little more for each module. You have to remember that GM : HTML5 is being discontinued with Studio's release its no use comparing the prices of the two, you'll also notice that those that have bought HTML5 in the last week or so don't get the upgrade either. I'll be keeping HTML5 installed for access to the Delphi runner at least until everything in the C++ one is working fine anyway.

2mma14z.jpg 2nu6efl.jpg 28whvdt.jpg

#35 atower79

atower79

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:58 PM

you'll also notice that those that have bought HTML5 in the last week or so don't get the upgrade either.

I was under the impression that after Feb 27 they just wouldn't get an invite to beta test. But the free upgrade applies until Studio officially launches.

#36 GM Studios

GM Studios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 190 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:39 PM

$400 for Android & iOS Modules , $99 For iOS Developer Liscence , Which is what £318 judging by the exchange rate posted above.

Don't forget though if your not entitled to the free upgrade you will need the base as well which is an extra £60 roughly. Also if you don't already own you'll need a mac the cheapest (new) mac mini £529. You'll also need a device to test on, lets say an ipod touch that's an extra £169. Which brings the total to just shy of £1100 which means you will need around 2750 sales to break even. Which is fairy doable and since these are one time purchases excluding the developer license you can just keep going year after year.

I like working these sorts of things out. For me to recoup my "loses" I would probably need in excess of 9000 sales.

Edited by GM Studios, 09 March 2012 - 07:39 PM.

#37 creativebunch

creativebunch

The Bunchiest

• GMC Member
  • 930 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

GM:HTML5 owners get the base and the HTML5 export module for free

<3 YoYo!

#gmc - It's the goddamn GMC IRC
Beat Hell Pre-Alpha v2.1.0 | Slender2d | Creeping Insanity

indiedb_88x31.png

buXyYwQ.png
I am looking for a pixel/3D artist to team up with me to work on some games. Send me a message if interested.

#38 Cakefish

Cakefish

I Shot The Sheriff

• GMC Member
  • 1477 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:17 PM

£150 is what I'll have to pay to get going including the fee Google charges for publishing on the Android Market (aka Google Play). So according to my maths it will take 300 purchases to break even if priced at 50p.

I'm not hugely skilled at GM. Is this possible or too much of a risk? It's now or never as I won't have the money to afford Studio in the future.

2a7ubuv.jpg

#39 Slapdash

Slapdash

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

you'll also notice that those that have bought HTML5 in the last week or so don't get the upgrade either.

I was under the impression that after Feb 27 they just wouldn't get an invite to beta test. But the free upgrade applies until Studio officially launches.

So which is it now?
I only own 8.1 and was putting of buying HTML5 version was thinking of getting Studio depending on price. If the free HTML5 to Studio base + HTML5 still stands i'd like to purchase it now.

#40 @Alex@

@Alex@

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4734 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:23 PM

£150 is a low cost it if you think you will now or will soon have the skills to either make the game yourself or organise a team to do it. I would say it was worth it but I'd go eith your gut.

2mma14z.jpg 2nu6efl.jpg 28whvdt.jpg

#41 Overloaded

Overloaded

Oneirophobia

• GMC Member
  • 995 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

So, GM Studio Base will cost $100 and will be able to export Windows, Mac (HTML5 for GMHTML5 users) and GM Studio Extended will cost $200 and will be able to export iOs, Android, Symbian, HTML5 and Windows/Mac.
Am I right?

If I am not, correct me.

Also, have you got any idea when GM Studio (full not beta) will come? First, they said in Q1 2012. So it will come this month. Unless they changed it. Do you know when around it will come?

D4RknEZz (known also as Manolis Greece)

Edited by D4RknEZz, 09 March 2012 - 08:57 PM.

gmc_signature.png

Upcoming 2D Turn-Based RPG. You can visit our website, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Check out my GM Marketplace Assets!

Follow me on Twitter: @OVLDD

#42 Arusiasotto

Arusiasotto

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:57 PM

GMS Base will cost you $99, and get you Microshaft and OSX. If you bought GMH, you get Microshaft and OSX as a Free upgrade. To add HTML5, iOS, or Android to Base, it is $200 EACH. Unless I completely misread this topic.

So,GM Studio Base will cost $100 and will be able to export Windows,Mac (HTML5 for GMHTML5 users) and GM Studio Extended will cost $200 and will be able to export iOs,Android,Symbian,HTML5 and Windows/Mac.
Am I right?

If I am not, correct me.

Also, have you got any idea when GM Studio(full not beta) will come? First, they said in Q1 2012. So it will come this month. Unless they changed it. Do you know when around it will come?

"It should be noted that no ethically-trained software engineer would ever consent to write a DestroyBaghdad procedure. Basic professional ethics would instead require him to write a DestroyCity procedure, to which Baghdad could be given as a parameter." - Nathaniel Borenstein

#43 Overloaded

Overloaded

Oneirophobia

• GMC Member
  • 995 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

GMS Base will cost you $99, and get you Microshaft and OSX. If you bought GMH, you get Microshaft and OSX as a Free upgrade. To add HTML5, iOS, or Android to Base, it is $200 EACH. Unless I completely misread this topic.

So,GM Studio Base will cost $100 and will be able to export Windows,Mac (HTML5 for GMHTML5 users) and GM Studio Extended will cost $200 and will be able to export iOs,Android,Symbian,HTML5 and Windows/Mac.
Am I right?

If I am not, correct me.

Also, have you got any idea when GM Studio(full not beta) will come? First, they said in Q1 2012. So it will come this month. Unless they changed it. Do you know when around it will come?

Each? This means that if I want Android and HTML5 I will have to pay $400?
You didn't misread the topic don't worry

gmc_signature.png

Upcoming 2D Turn-Based RPG. You can visit our website, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Check out my GM Marketplace Assets!

Follow me on Twitter: @OVLDD

#44 lostdarkwolf

lostdarkwolf

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 413 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

nothing has been said regarding the psp... will GM studio support psp as well? or is that a different version?

Colorado finally did it! they legalized the recreational!

#45 Arusiasotto

Arusiasotto

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:12 PM

if you want html5, get it now! its 99$. Which will save you 200$ when Studio is released.

PSP was dropped I heard due to liscencing issues with Sony. Could have been stalled by the Vita Release, but Sony has never had an open dev platform anyway. Symbian is supposed to be included at some point (does Nokia still use that?). I would think 3DS would be a good platform to look into though. And XNA 360 would also be nice to port to.

Am I right?

If I am not, correct me.

Each? This means that if I want Android and HTML5 I will have to pay $400?
You didn't misread the topic don't worry

Edited by Arusiasotto, 09 March 2012 - 09:12 PM.

"It should be noted that no ethically-trained software engineer would ever consent to write a DestroyBaghdad procedure. Basic professional ethics would instead require him to write a DestroyCity procedure, to which Baghdad could be given as a parameter." - Nathaniel Borenstein

#46 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:47 PM

Exactly, the last thing we want is to have young people writing games for their phones and tablets.

I've never understood the obsession with downplaying the impact that these products can have on beginners...it seems to come from some sort of elitist mindset, which really is disappointing considering most of us went through the cycle ourselves.

my NPT sarcasm meter is whirling
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

#47 EwanG

EwanG

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:58 PM

OK, I am coming from having written and sold a few RenPy gaames, and bought some version of GM a year or so ago when they first started talking about studio. If I know I am going to want the Android version, am I better off getting familiar with the HTML5 version of GM, or hold off until Studio and core are available? Less of a price question than wondering what will get me up to speed fastest?

#48 2DLuis

2DLuis

Graphic Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2527 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:09 PM

I think the module pricing is considerably high, and there should have been more emphasis placed on HTML5 users only receiving the BASE version of the product because there was a lot of confusion with regards to that point.

#49 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

Get Html5. Not only will you save a load of cash, but you will also be working with the core tech for GM:Studio, which means you will learn the basics of what is and isn“t permitted. Android, iOS and Html5 are NOT like programming for windows and you really need to do things in another way to get the most out of as little as possible. Add to that the fact the those platforms (especially Html5) have far more limitations than windows code-wise (no d3d, no execute_string, no dynamic objects etc etc etc...) then it makes sense to start working with the latest GM as soon as possible if you want to get the most out of Studio.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#50 PrinceOfSorrow

PrinceOfSorrow

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 268 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

First of all im very happy for HTML5 owner offers to get the base for FREE :D (glad im one of them)

im not greedy just sense some tools from other companies giving out their tools/exports this month for FREE, i was hoping
yoyogames could even drop the FREE HTML5 and give us the choice to choose one exporter for FREE, instead giving us the HTML5 exporter, which we already own it with GM: HTML5 and useless for us, isn't ?

that just my only opinion, I really appreciated their offers and I'm not ungrateful ;)

regards