14 replies to this topic

#1 adhgarra

adhgarra

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 90 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:00 AM

Ok so my most recent game I been making is a fangame. (My) whole purpose when I make fangames is to either see something I always wanted to see in the original game or make a sequel to a game that was cancelled or never continued, not for making money or to make work easier but for the entertainment. So I wanna know what the community feels about them? Also I know that the original creators own all rights to there work and at anytime could put a stop to whatever fangame Im working on.

#2 Robert3DG+

Robert3DG+

Designer

• GMC Member
  • 1925 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:08 AM

What do we think personally?

I don't really like fangames. Usually they're not done very well and who wants to play a second rate clone when they probably already have the real thing. Fangames can be fun when the maker tries new concepts with the series or it's characters, but that said they may not capture the reason I like the original work in the first place. It's really an individual preference I guess.

#3 BattleRifle BR55

BattleRifle BR55

Let Live

• GMC Member
  • 9298 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:28 AM

I hate them because if they're too similar to the originals then it feels redundant playing them, and any difference, no matter how minor, just really throws me off. To use the original Super Mario Bros., maybe the friction will be slightly off, or Mario won't jump quite as high or with the same arc and speed.

On the other hand, try to innovate or do something new with them, and I end up disliking how different they are. Give Mario a shotgun, and I give that game the finger.

There is no way I can really appreciate them.

Edited by BattleRifle BR55, 07 March 2012 - 06:28 AM.

#4 faissialoo

faissialoo

I get high on orange

• GMC Member
  • 1219 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:28 AM

i like fangames! Especially of games that no longer exist. But always use a different story

#5 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

Talking about clones or fangames? A game made out of tribute is equally a 'fangame' yet we would be talking about something completely different.
The question is rhetorical, I can guess you're leaning toward "clones." I just wanted to make the distinction, but on the original topic..Eh, they're alright.

#6 needsfoodbadly

needsfoodbadly

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 110 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:04 AM

Avoid 99.9% of anything with "Sonic" in the title like the plague.

Fangames have a bad reputation because they're usually made with something like Game Maker and they're usually horrible, which in turn also gives Game Maker or software/engines like it a sometimes undeserved bad reputation.

#7 Saijee

Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2443 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:41 AM

What I think about fan games. Depends on how good the fans making them are. These two look like they will be fun to play:

http://youtu.be/2uYnBcwd4Os
http://youtu.be/dD2TbtxjTho

Edited by Saijee, 11 March 2012 - 05:41 AM.

#8 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1861 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:28 AM

I see your pony fighter and your pony kart and raise you My Little Investigations.

#9 Saijee

Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2443 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:21 PM

Now we have made it clear that fan games do not need to be a clone game.

#10 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:40 PM

I personally don't mind fangames. Whether it's just like the original but with different levels, has a different take on the idea, or is a mashup of a bunch of different games, I'll enjoy it as long as it's well-made and fun.

There are good fangames, and there are bad fangames. It's just hard to tell which is which sometimes.

TheUltimate

#11 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:24 PM

I don't usually like cones - however if your game is based in the same universe as the original, but has a noticeable twist (that gets more attention than sticking to the rules the game it was based off had - it can't just feel tagged on), then it can actually be quite good.
For example - my favourite game on the GMC is a fangame - simply because it works so well, and doesn't try to relate too much to the original.

Shameless plug - since it gets far too little attention due to the large number of terrible fangames: http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=525837

#12 needsfoodbadly

needsfoodbadly

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 110 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:46 AM

I guess I'm guilty of it myself now. I just started working on a Mario themed dungeon crawler (aka Roguelike).

Posted Image

My personal favorite fangame of the moment is DoomRL, which is a roguelike based on Doom that features both graphic tiles, music, sound and classic Ascii optionally.

#13 DaRk_bLaDe

DaRk_bLaDe

Super Spy Fat Guy

• GMC Member
  • 378 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:38 AM

I don't usually like cones

Saw that and thought THIS xD

#14 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!