Dread is a top-down action / horror game where you can only see what your character sees. This creates an intense atmosphere, as the player is always guessing what is waiting for them around the next corner.
The game is currently in Alpha stage, as I am a terrible artist and I'm using placeholders that I scrounged from free resources or put together myself. The engine itself is quite far along in development, and a lot of fun to play
I'm actually most proud of the included level editor, as the possibilities are nearly endless with it. The powerful trigger system it has allows the entire gameplay style to change from Doom (which is what the included level is modeled after), to Alien Swarm, to Resident Evil depending on the designer's preference.
I created the Alpha Trailer above to help recruit artists, and it is working wonders so far. I have several talented artists interested in helping out, so the next few builds should start seeing significantly improved graphics.
If you come up with a cool level, feel free to send it to me at firstname.lastname@example.org or post it here, and I'll feature it on the dev blog!
Download Dread v1.3.5a here
Screenshot of latest version (v.1.3.5a)
- New gradient FOV "Shadow" which is much nicer on the eyes.
- The area around the player is now visible
- New enemy by Sidney Durant that replaces the green placeholders.
- Due to "Sticky Keys" issues, the controls have been switched to E for use and Space for fire.
- ESC now opens the in-game menu with SFX volume, Music toggle, Mouse sensitivity, Key Sensitivity, and Return to Menu options.
- Menu options are saved in the "settings.cfg" file.
- Awesome new Title Screen music by Chris Kukla
- New Title screen (now with buttons! How cool is that?)
- 10 new backgrounds by Cody Jernander
- Doors can now be opened while facing away from them
- Internal Background optimizations (areas outside the built level no longer have a background)
- Fixed a plethora of bugs in the level editor
- Fixed a nearly equal plethora of errors in the game
- Added a new feature for certain Trigger types that allows them to either be activated everytime or only once
- Edited documentation to include new features
- Friendly NPC characters now wander around aimlessly
- You can now scroll around the Level Editor with the WASD keys
- I've expanded the level that comes with Dread. It now uses the new backgrounds and also has a completely new ending, so I recommend playing through it again.
Edited by Berick, 02 April 2012 - 09:05 PM.