510 replies to this topic

#61 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2464 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:29 PM

import is still there. Just right click on the resource tree section you want to import, then navigate to another .GMX project and import the gmx file you want.
We won't be allowing importing of "parts" of .gm81/.gm8 files, you must convert them first.

So it's either importing the whole file, or none of it? Sounds fair.

Nope, didn't say that.... Convert it FIRST, then you can import sections of the newly converted GMX file.

Ah ok I got it wrong. My mistake. That's still pretty good.

#62 interpolicer

interpolicer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 149 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:20 PM

I'd love to be able to do other stuff with the code editor window open. Really. REALLY!

No one in Yoyo finds this particular item aggravating?

#63 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21331 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:23 PM

I'd love to be able to do other stuff with the code editor window open. Really. REALLY!

No one in Yoyo finds this particular item aggravating?

Actually, most of us do! Unfortunately, things like that are limited because of the delphi coding. GM9 will be being written from the ground up and will have many such sought after details included.

#64 Zesterer

Zesterer

Professor of Articul

• GMC Member
  • 1043 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:06 AM

Yay! Sounds great, I look forward to it!

:D

#65 remosewa

remosewa

GMC Member

• 71 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

Game Maker Studio doesn't use delphi coding right?

Also it would be nice to have an auto indent feature for the code editor.

#66 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8211 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

Game Maker Studio doesn't use delphi coding right?

Also it would be nice to have an auto indent feature for the code editor.

The exports don't.

But I suspect Studio itself still does.

#67 FireProof Games

FireProof Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

I would like a way to save the game files on the phone, not as a stand-alone program, but as some sort of project in the runner, so you can play the game mobilely without fully creating apks and such.

#68 YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3942 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:40 PM

Of few things that matter...

Feature: Subtraction and division operations for ds_grid
Description: Subtraction and division functions, probably of names
ds_grid_subtract(id, x, y, val)
ds_grid_subtract_disk(id, xm, ym, r, val)
ds_grid_subtract_region(id, x1, y1, x2, y2, val)
ds_grid_subtract_grid_region(id, source, x1, y1, x2, y2, xpos, ypos)
ds_grid_divide(id, x, y, val)
ds_grid_divide_disk(id, xm, ym, r, val)
ds_grid_divide_region(id, x1, y1, x2, y2, val)
ds_grid_divide_grid_region(id, source, x1, y1, x2, y2, xpos, ypos)
Reason: It makes sense to include all basic operations, with supposedly low time required to add this in.
For example if you want for first grid column to represent a value of second to third column interpolated,
G(i,1) = G(i,2) + ( G(i,3) - G(i,2) ) * p
currently you have to either pre-calculate delta to be able to do that with _add & _multiply, or do calculations cell-by-cell.

#69 alexandervrs

alexandervrs

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 681 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:56 PM

Of few things that matter...

Feature: Subtraction and division operations for ds_grid
Description: Subtraction and division functions, probably of names

ds_grid_subtract(id, x, y, val)
ds_grid_subtract_disk(id, xm, ym, r, val)
ds_grid_subtract_region(id, x1, y1, x2, y2, val)
ds_grid_subtract_grid_region(id, source, x1, y1, x2, y2, xpos, ypos)
ds_grid_divide(id, x, y, val)
ds_grid_divide_disk(id, xm, ym, r, val)
ds_grid_divide_region(id, x1, y1, x2, y2, val)
ds_grid_divide_grid_region(id, source, x1, y1, x2, y2, xpos, ypos)
Reason: It makes sense to include all basic operations, with supposedly low time required to add this in.
For example if you want for first grid column to represent a value of second to third column interpolated,
G(i,1) = G(i,2) + ( G(i,3) - G(i,2) ) * p
currently you have to either pre-calculate delta to be able to do that with _add & _multiply, or do calculations cell-by-cell.

Yes and also sorting for ds grids would be really helpful for e.g. sorting an item inventory by a specified column.

#70 Dark91

Dark91

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:07 PM

Gm studio needs Native Extensions to use functions and codes from the various sdk, like adobe air 3.0+.

#71 ryguydavis

ryguydavis

GMC Member

• 277 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:42 AM

This goes for any future GM developments, including GMS. Drawing functions need a speed boost. It's great that we have to learn to optimize, but when the ceiling always becomes how limited GM's drawing capabilities are, it really puts a leash on what we can do. There are only so many ways to optimize on our end.

#72 WWAZman

WWAZman

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1239 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:09 AM

My friend made a quick app for droid that does Morse code with the camera flash.. thinking about it, being able to activate the camera/flash would be kinda cool.. not sure what I'd use it for in a game, but making an app for it with GMS would be fun.

#73 alexandervrs

alexandervrs

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 681 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

My friend made a quick app for droid that does Morse code with the camera flash.. thinking about it, being able to activate the camera/flash would be kinda cool.. not sure what I'd use it for in a game, but making an app for it with GMS would be fun.

Camera input would be nice generally. Still not available in HTML5, but is bound to.
You could do things like motion controlled games, using a photo in the game (e.g. player avatar, background, sprite) or other interesting things with the phone camera, like the one I saw in a mobile Final Fantasy game which used the dominant color information from the camera to create specific items.

#74 TheSnidr

TheSnidr

That guy

• Global Moderators
  • 2986 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:48 PM

I wish there were more built in 3D vector functions than dot_product_3d and point_distance_3d. Also, it'd be great if there was a better method for passing vectors to a script and back - right now it has to be done either in three separate variables or in a list.
With a good method for passing vectors, functions like cross_product, orthogonalize, rotate_vector, normalize, and regular (non-normalized) dot product could be built in. Of course, the last one can be built in anyways.

#75 remosewa

remosewa

GMC Member

• 71 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:20 AM

Anyone else want an auto save feature or some kind of backup feature? That would be nice I think

#76 TheSnidr

TheSnidr

That guy

• Global Moderators
  • 2986 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:19 AM

Anyone else want an auto save feature or some kind of backup feature? That would be nice I think

Auto save would be horrible, but there already is a backup feature. You can make game maker save as many backups as you like in Preferences

#77 NeParij

NeParij

GMC Member

• 11 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:33 AM

Our wish list:
1) FileSytem I/O
1) a) Application folder/cache directory for external resources
b) file_text_*; file_bin_*;
c) Access for non-application directories (for example to load some photo from phone's camera directory etc)

2) SoundManager
2) a) Manage sounds by groups (for example: sound_set_group(ind,group_id); sound_group_set_volume(group_id,vol); sound_group_stop(group_id); but this is relly to made by scripts)
b) sound_get_playing_position(ind); sound_play_from(ind,msec); (It's unreally to play sound by sound without delays - I made a script that play sound by sound with delay 20 to -20 msecs with room_speed==10; it's based on fps value and sound duration in msec. But this doesn't solve this full... )
c) module_play(ind); maybe some more formats of audio? Maybe tracker music support: an mod/xm files. This files is smaller than wavs/mp3s/oggs. A lot of Trackers/Players are opensource for many platforms (Windows, Linux distros, MacOSX, iOS, Android etc) and languages, even for javascript (really surprised)

3) draw_vertex_texure();

4) You know it: OpenGL drawing functions.

5) Saving/Loading: save_state(fname); load_state(fname); functions.

Edited by NeParij, 21 March 2012 - 09:37 AM.

#78 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

gm studio should have a better backup system, for example, a built in decompiler for exe, but only the person who makes the game can decompile it because of the registry. like, it can only be edited if an activex control is installed with a unique, randomly generated classid. if that classid isnt read by the registry, no one will be able to decompile it but the person who made it, because they are the only one with that classid installed.

Edited by time-killer-games, 21 March 2012 - 11:46 AM.

#79 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 3230 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

It will not be possible to decompile "final" games from Studio. (HTML5 aside)

#80 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:51 AM

not for any format than exe obviously... or do you mean for that as well?

#81 NeParij

NeParij

GMC Member

• 11 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

And one another:
date_get_time doesn't return milliseconds (Android, don't know about other runners).

#82 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21331 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

Auto save would be horrible, but there already is a backup feature. You can make game maker save as many backups as you like in Preferences

GM:Studio has source control integration, so that means that backups are no longer necessary... Of course you will need to learn about Source Control, but we have set up a wiki to help : http://wiki.yoyogame...ameMaker:Studio

#83 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 3230 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

not for any format than exe obviously... or do you mean for that as well?

None of the formats will be decompileable. We will be pre-compiling them and removing the actual script source, so unless you do a VirtualMachine ASM -> GML, you're out of luck - and even then all comments/layout names would be gone.

#84 NeParij

NeParij

GMC Member

• 11 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:37 AM

Ability to disable a runner menu ("Settings|Exit")
And the show_menu(str,def) function can be very important

And it's great that YoYo reject a functions interpret method and start to use compilers, in fine. Congrats!

Edited by NeParij, 22 March 2012 - 07:45 AM.

#85 Mr Game

Mr Game

GMC Member

• 177 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:36 PM

Ability to disable a runner menu ("Settings|Exit")
And the show_menu(str,def) function can be very important

And it's great that YoYo reject a functions interpret method and start to use compilers, in fine. Congrats!

The runner menu is only for debug (green play button). When you export to a standalone APK the runner isn't used.

And I'm happy too about compiling instead of interpreting. If YoYo will keep on optimizing Game Maker, soon you will be able to make games like COD: Modern Warfare 3!

#86 daz

daz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 800 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:35 PM

Just thought of something. I know you can't lock an orientation right now, but I'd like an option to allow orientation changes but disable the scaling.

#87 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 3230 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:33 PM

If the display doesn't match the screen, it'll get scaled to fit, if we scaled to aspect ratio on mobile it would require surface copy/draw, and that would slow things down on devices which can already be slow.

#88 Exe_Mas

Exe_Mas

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:33 PM

My only wish is the screen resolution bug on android to get fixed soon :(, I have some graphics glitchs with tiles now. Anybody have them too?

Edited by Exe_Mas, 25 March 2012 - 07:48 PM.

#89 Mr Game

Mr Game

GMC Member

• 177 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:12 PM

My only wish is the screen resolution bug on android to get fixed soon :(, I have some graphics glitchs with tiles now. Anybody have them too?

I have! :verymad:

#90 kloust

kloust

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 41 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:13 PM

Support for 3D arrays!

Edited by kloust, 26 March 2012 - 10:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users