30 replies to this topic

#1 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2486 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:01 PM

Hey folks, need a hand with a problem. I've been preparing the Android running so that I can test for Android system with Legena and my 3D coursework as per usual with my GMS testing.

However in the Android preferences, I clicked the Check SDK button thing and it stated that "KeyStore file does not exist"

I have no idea what a KeyStore is. Would anyone be able to enlighten me on what KeyStore is and how to fix this problem?

Thanks to those who help

#2 Mayhem Games

Mayhem Games

Proud Kiwi

• GMC Member
  • 959 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:10 PM

I believe a KeyStore is how you sign an application for Android, Similar to the Provisional Profile for iOS.

You can generate yourself one in the Preferences dialog, under the Android tab.

Edited by Mayhem Games, 04 March 2012 - 09:10 PM.

#3 Chronic

Chronic

Administrator

• Global Moderators
  • 2729 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:13 PM

Go here: http://wiki.yoyogame...dio_for_Android

#4 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2486 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

I believe a KeyStore is how you sign an application for Android, Similar to the Provisional Profile for iOS.

You can generate yourself one in the Preferences dialog, under the Android tab.

I have tried and tried to generate it, but there's no luck at all. I searched for the .keystore file and it doesn't exist. What's going wrong?

#5 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21731 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:16 PM

Did you follow all the instructions included in the wiki that Chronic linked to above?

#6 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2486 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:47 PM

Did you follow all the instructions included in the wiki that Chronic linked to above?

• Download SDK - DONE
  • Run Installer and make sure it's "C:\Android\android-sdk" - DONE
  • Install additional tools - DONE (This took ages to solve)
  • Get to know the SDK - DONE
  • Do the Studio Basic Setup - DONE
  • Fill in the Private Keystore Details - DONE

I did all these things

#7 TheMagician

TheMagician

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 501 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:26 AM

I've just had the exact same error.

Here's how I solved it (but I'm not sure whether this is how you should really do it):
I created a file called "android_keystore.keystore" somewhere on my harddrive (I placed it in the GMS subfolder in AppData).
Then, in the Android preferences in GMS I generated a new keystore file with its name also set to "android_keystore".
When you click on "generate" the field "Private KeyStore File" is filled in with a default path. I modified this path to point to the .keystore file that I had created before.

Everything works well now.

#8 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21731 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:38 AM

What did you fill in for the keystore details? A known issue is when you have (for example) "Dundee, Scotland" (note the comma) as your work location, or "N/A" as not applicable for the developement unit. Ideally, you should only have one word in those sections...

#9 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2486 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

What did you fill in for the keystore details? A known issue is when you have (for example) "Dundee, Scotland" (note the comma) as your work location, or "N/A" as not applicable for the developement unit. Ideally, you should only have one word in those sections...

Name : king_tetiro
Passwords...
Alias : King Tetiro (No space and Caps. Yeh. I'm that clever.)
Common Name : King Tetiro (Got lazy)
Organizational Unit : N/A
Organization : N/A
Location...

As you can tell, everything was filled in.

#10 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21731 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:39 AM

Get rid of the N/A and just either leave it blank or actually write "not applicable" and then try again...

#11 TheMagician

TheMagician

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 501 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:00 AM

Have you tried my solution?

#12 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2486 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:41 AM

Yup and it seems to have shut GMS up for now

#13 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21731 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:00 PM

Yes, but only because you have fooled it into believing you have that keystore file... But what about the Android Market? Is the keystore file you create this way valid? I think it would be better to generate an actual keystore file than to fake one in this way and possibly have problems at a later date.

#14 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2486 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:23 PM

Yes, but only because you have fooled it into believing you have that keystore file... But what about the Android Market? Is the keystore file you create this way valid? I think it would be better to generate an actual keystore file than to fake one in this way and possibly have problems at a later date.

I completely agree, which is why I'm still going to try and fix the problem. Now I noticed that the file is automatically created in the Local/AppData. I went to the Local area and there's no AppData folder which I can publically view (But it is there apparently). Anyone know how to open the folder?

#15 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21731 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:34 PM

Just copy the direction from the studio form and paste it into windows explorer (minus the actual file name) and windows should open the location... So, for example, I would copy this "C:\Users\Nocturne\AppData\Local\GameMaker-Studio\" and paste it into the windows explorer bar...

#16 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2486 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:11 PM

Just copy the direction from the studio form and paste it into windows explorer (minus the actual file name) and windows should open the location... So, for example, I would copy this "C:\Users\Nocturne\AppData\Local\GameMaker-Studio\" and paste it into the windows explorer bar...

Ok I've done that and the keystore I generated isn't there despite it being the correct directory and clicking the Generate button a ton of times

#17 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21731 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

Okay... Hmmm... Wait, in your checklist you fail to mention the Java Developement Kit (JDK). You DO have that installed to, don't you?

#18 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2486 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

Okay... Hmmm... Wait, in your checklist you fail to mention the Java Developement Kit (JDK). You DO have that installed to, don't you?

I have installed the latest version and it's still the same problem

#19 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2486 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

I have spent the last 3 nights trying to figure this out and it has failed to provide positive results. I have no idea why a keystore isn't being created

EDIT: I think I just had a special moment, do you need to have an Android device connected to the PC/laptop to generate a keystore??

Edited by King Tetiro, 09 March 2012 - 03:50 PM.

#20 rwkay

rwkay

YoYo Games CTO

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2318 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:58 PM

No you do not need to have the device connected at all, you should just need to ensure that the Java SDK is installed correctly as the tools are contained inside that for generating the keystore, please ensure that you have the Java SDK and not just the Java Run Time Environment (JRE) as this may appear to work in some situations but it does not have all the tools that are required.

Russell

#21 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2486 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:12 PM

No you do not need to have the device connected at all, you should just need to ensure that the Java SDK is installed correctly as the tools are contained inside that for generating the keystore, please ensure that you have the Java SDK and not just the Java Run Time Environment (JRE) as this may appear to work in some situations but it does not have all the tools that are required.

Russell

I have re-installed the Java SDK (Java SE 7u3). The problem still occurs

#22 Cakefish

Cakefish

I Shot The Sheriff

• GMC Member
  • 1468 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

I had this problem.

Then I renamed my 'company name' from 'N/A' to 'NA'.

It doesn't like /'s.

#23 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2486 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:55 PM

I had this problem.

It doesn't like /'s.

Cakefish I could bloody kiss you! I removed all the " "s, "_"s and "/"s and it now works a treat!

Thanks for sorting the problem Cakefish!

#24 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21731 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:11 PM

I had this problem.

It doesn't like /'s.

Cakefish I could bloody kiss you! I removed all the " "s, "_"s and "/"s and it now works a treat!

Ahem... Posted Image

Get rid of the N/A and just either leave it blank or actually write "not applicable" and then try again...

#25 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2486 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

I had this problem.

It doesn't like /'s.

Ahem... Posted Image

Oh yes I did that earlier. But it seems it's not just "/" that causes a virtual slap in the face.

But thanks for leading to the fix of the problem man

#26 TheMagician

TheMagician

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 501 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:19 PM

Unfortunately even without the special characters like / my keystore file is still not being generated.

Could the problem be that I installed the Java SDK AFTER installing GMS?

#27 TheMagician

TheMagician

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 501 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:44 PM

Sorry for bumping this up. I'd just like to know whether keystore generation works fine for everybody.

My keystore file is still not being generated. I have installed JDK, Android-SDK + Tools...

#28 MewX

MewX

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:44 AM

Sorry for bumping this up. I'd just like to know whether keystore generation works fine for everybody.

My keystore file is still not being generated. I have installed JDK, Android-SDK + Tools...

Same here. I already installed Studio on my desktop computer just fine but I can't generate a keystore file on my laptop.

The only difference I am aware of is that I installed Studio to a custom location on my desktop, while I installed it to the default path on my laptop.

Edit: Solved it by choosing new passwords. Maybe the old ones where to short(?)...

Edited by MewX, 21 March 2012 - 09:46 AM.

#29 TheMagician

TheMagician

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 501 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:11 PM

Edit: Solved it by choosing new passwords. Maybe the old ones where to short(?)...

Yes, that solved it for me, too! Thanks for sharing your solution.

Perhaps someone could add that to the Wiki?

#30 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21731 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:16 PM

Yes, that solved it for me, too! Thanks for sharing your solution.

Perhaps someone could add that to the Wiki?

I'll checkit out and find what the exact minimum length is and add that in ASAP.

EDIT: Okay, the wiki has been updated. Seems like there is a minimum of 6 characters for the passwords.

Edited by Nocturne, 21 March 2012 - 01:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users