30 replies to this topic

#1 AJArmstron

AJArmstron

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 163 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:44 PM

Hi - I have GM Studio:Beta, but am having great difficultly in getting Android installed so I can run programs on my Android device.

I have been following the GameMaker:Studio for Android page. (http://wiki.yoyogame...dio_for_Android)

When I try to run an Android program in GM:Studio I get the following message displayed in the console:
<quote>
"C:\Users\Alec Desktop\AppData\Roaming\GameMaker-Studio\GMAssetCompiler.exe" /obob=True /obpp=False /obru=True /obes=False /c /m=android /studio /o="C:\Users\Alec Desktop\AppData\Local\Temp\gm_ttt_23185\HTML5PlatformerExample" "C:\Users\Alec Desktop\AppData\Local\Temp\gm_ttt_23185\Demo19.exe"

Saving IFF file... C:\Users\Alec Desktop\AppData\Local\Temp\gm_ttt_23185\HTML5PlatformerExample\Demo19.zip
Writing Chunk... GEN8
Writing Chunk... HELP
Writing Chunk... OPTN
Writing Chunk... EXTN
Writing Chunk... SOND
Writing Chunk... SPRT
Writing Chunk... BGND
Writing Chunk... PATH
Writing Chunk... SCPT
Writing Chunk... FONT
Writing Chunk... TMLN
Writing Chunk... OBJT
Writing Chunk... ROOM
Writing Chunk... DAFL
Writing Chunk... TPAGE
Writing Chunk... STRG
Writing Chunk... TXTR
0 Compressing texture... writing texture texture_0.png...
Writing Chunk... AUDO
"C:\Users\Alec Desktop\android-sdks\tools\..\platform-tools\adb" get-state
"C:\Users\Alec Desktop\android-sdks\tools\..\platform-tools\adb" push "C:\Users\Alec Desktop\AppData\Local\Temp\gm_ttt_23185\HTML5PlatformerExample\\GameAssets.zip" /sdcard/GMstudio/GameAssets.zip
"C:\Users\Alec Desktop\android-sdks\tools\..\platform-tools\adb" push "C:\Users\Alec Desktop\AppData\Local\Temp\gm_ttt_23185\HTML5PlatformerExample\\GameDownload.lock" /sdcard/GMstudio/GameDownload.lock
"C:\Users\Alec Desktop\android-sdks\tools\..\platform-tools\adb" get-state

device
"C:\Users\Alec Desktop\android-sdks\tools\..\platform-tools\adb" install -r "C:\Users\Alec Desktop\AppData\Roaming\GameMaker-Studio\Android\com.yoyogames.runner.apk
pkg: /data/local/tmp/com.yoyogames.runner.apk

Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_MEDIA_UNAVAILABLE]
"C:\Users\Alec Desktop\android-sdks\tools\..\platform-tools\adb" shell am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.yoyogames.runner/.RunnerActivity
Starting: Intent { act=android.intent.action.MAIN cmp=com.yoyogames.runner/.RunnerActivity }

Error type 3
Error: Activity class {com.yoyogames.runner/com.yoyogames.runner.RunnerActivity} does not exist.
Compile finished: 20:33:43
</quote>

So, the computer is stating that the runner is not installed...

I have tried many attempts to install the yoyo runner, but I keep getting the message after running the adb install command:
<quote>"Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_MEDIA_UNAVAILABLE]"</quote>

I would be grateful for some comments as to what I should now do.

In particular, how do I know when the runner is installed? What would I see (for example is there anything visible on the Android device?)

Is it possible to install using Eclipse instead?

Thank you for any comments.

#2 Kouri

Kouri

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:26 PM

GMS is essentially trying to put a YoYo app on your Android device. That app then runs any game data sent from GMS. It's important that the required Android SDK files are installed. Go to Preferences > Android and hit the "Check Android SDK" button. It will tell you if you're missing anything.

On the Android device, it's important that Android debugging is enabled. 2.3 Devices have this option in Settings>Application settings>Development. I forget where it is in 4.0

#3 AJArmstron

AJArmstron

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:31 PM

The debugging is enabled and the Android SDK files are installed.
I note in my Android phone's SD Card it does contain a folder GMstudio (/mnt/sdcard/GMstudio) with two files in GameAssets and GameDownload (as shown in the console log above).

So, the only problem is why the Runner is not installing.

Edited by AJArmstron, 03 March 2012 - 09:40 PM.

#4 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 22525 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:33 PM

Are you cabled to the pc? The FIRST time you use an Android device it MUST be by cable. You should then see an icon on your device that says "YoYo Runner".

#5 AJArmstron

AJArmstron

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:52 AM

The USB cable has always been connected! However, I have never had or seen sight of a YoYo Runner icon. The problem is installing the Runner (I believe the console message shown in the first post also confirms this.)

Edited by AJArmstron, 04 March 2012 - 01:57 AM.

#6 Kouri

Kouri

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:02 AM

What Android device are you using, and what version is it running?

Also, if you're just having trouble getting the runner to install, you should be able to install it manually. Make sure you device allows you to install non-market apps.

On your PC, browse to C:\Users\Alec Desktop\AppData\Roaming\GameMaker-Studio\ Android\com.yoyogames.runner.apk

AppData is normally a hidden folder.

Copy that apk to your phone's SD card or internal memory and then install from there.

Once the app is installed, see if GM will play.

#7 AJArmstron

AJArmstron

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:22 AM

Pabloco - thank you for your post. How do you install the APK file when it is on your Android phone?
(My phone is a Sony Ericsson Xperia using Android 2.3.4.)

Edited by AJArmstron, 04 March 2012 - 04:24 AM.

#8 nbeerbower

nbeerbower

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 467 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

Make sure you have enough space on your SD card and that it isn't mounted when you plug it into the computer.

#9 AJArmstron

AJArmstron

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:57 PM

Thanks I got the apk file installed (although now have another problem - please see below).

This is what I did to get the apk file installed:
(1) First I copied the apk file (from C:\Users\Alec Desktop\AppData\Roaming\GameMaker-Studio\Android\com.yoyogames.runner.apk) to a directory on my SD card (I used my downloads directory).
(2) I then opened up a file manager program (I have one called Astro which is free from the Android market and I have found to be superb).
(3) I then located the apk file (using Astro) on my device. Clicked on the file and Astro provided an option to install.
(4) Finally I selected to run the YoYo Runner and the program that was recently sent to the device from GM Studio successfully ran!

Thank you to all who helped me above.

However, a new problem has arisen! When I then run a program using GM Studio a dialog box (on the device) opens and says:

Error io error, retrying..
(The text then sometimes shows the "connecting to" address for a fraction of a second before the previous message is displayed.)

I note there is a button below this dialog labelled "Change Settings".

If one selects this button it has two inputs:
(1) GM:Studio IP Address (which was originally set to none - this was the same word that was originally displayed in the connecting to message); and
(2) GM:Studio Port number (which is set at 51268).

So, please can anyone tell me what should be in the GM:Studio IP Address? I tried changing this number so it is the same as the one in GM:Studio (my computer's IP address); however, this does not work and the phone tries to connect to this IP number, but fails to get anywhere with the installation remaining at 0%.

Edited by AJArmstron, 04 March 2012 - 08:35 PM.

#10 Kouri

Kouri

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:47 PM

I actually haven't managed to get this working wirelessly yet. I'm curious if you the phone managed to successfully install itself as an adb device, as most phones are lacking from Google's default list. Start up Device Manager on your PC (If on Windows Vista or 7, just type it into the start menu's search bar. I forget where it is located on XP), and look near the top for ADB Interface. If you see your device listed (my Atrix shows up as "Mot Composite ADB Interface with the "Network adapters" icon), then it should be alright. However, if the device hasn't been installed properly, you should see an item in the list with a "warning" icon (It's generally a yellow triangle with an exclamation point).

If your device is showing up with that warning icon, then it hasn't been installed as an ADB device and GMS is unable to debug on it. You can manually install the generic ADB drivers downloaded by the Android SDK. If you can't sort that out, just google "Xperia [model] ADB drivers," replacing [model] with the exact type of phone you have, such as Xperia Play, Xperia Active, Xperia X10...

If everything is installed properly and you are still having problems~ I'm actually not sure what to try.

#11 AJArmstron

AJArmstron

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:59 PM

Can anyone who has the Android Runner successfully working on a Android device please tell me what GM:Studio IP Address is shown in their Runner program so I can see if I need to change mine to a different number.

Thank you.

Pabloco - when I look in my Device Manager the only bit that refers to my device is:
Sony Ericsson sa0102
Sony Ericsson sa0102 ADB Interface Driver.

Edited by AJArmstron, 04 March 2012 - 09:04 PM.

#12 Kouri

Kouri

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:19 PM

Ah, I just got myself connected over wifi. I'm not sure what my problem was before.

I used my PC's local address. 192.168.1.105. If you're behind a router, the address should start as 192.168.1.xxx or 192.168.2.xxx

I left the port as it was.

Also, you may want to go into GM preferences and jump to the Web Server tab. In the IP alllowed list, add 0.0.0.0/0

That apparently allows any address to connect.

#13 AJArmstron

AJArmstron

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

I am now getting programs to consistently work on my Android device. However, what I have to do is:
(1) Copy the two game files stored on my computer (GameDownload.lock file and GameAssets.zip folder) onto the device (placed into GMstudio folder);
(2) Uninstall and reinstall the YoYo Runner (as described in my earlier post - located 4 posts above this one) and then the programs automatically work.

Not an ideal solution, but at least it provides an immediate way of getting programs to run...

I shall file a bug report for the attention of YoYo.

My next challenge is to get the programs to convert so they can run on an Android device! Unfortunately, the main program I am working on appears to have plenty of problems with the C++ Runner. The front page works well, but as soon as a button is pressed which goes to a new room the program crashes. There is also a message on the GM:Studio console:
BUG: Room transitions don't function well - setting to 0 - look at Run_Command.cpp Command_GotoRoom().
TransFunctionExists()

So I remove the room transition (which was set at fade out and in) ... and still the same problem and message is shown.

This is going to take some time...

Edited by AJArmstron, 04 March 2012 - 10:40 PM.

#14 Manuel777

Manuel777

InvaderGames

• GMC Member
  • 3538 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:21 AM

Do you have debugging on your device enabled? Do you have all of your device's drivers up to date? are the SDK versions 8, 9 and 11 fully installed?

Edited by Manuel777, 05 March 2012 - 05:29 AM.

#15 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 22525 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

Could you post a screenshot of your keystore settings? It's possible that you have entered an invalid name or something and the debug hasn't caught it (for example if you place as your location "Dundee, Scotland" you will not generate a keystore as it won't accept more than one name in a field).

#16 AJArmstron

AJArmstron

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

Manuel777 - my debugging is selected and my devices are up to date. I have SDK Versions 7,8,10 and 11 installed. (I will try installing 9.)

I believe the below is the keystore settings that you are after.

Posted Image

Also, please give me a vote on:
Please click here to support my The Big Pitch idea!
I need to get as many votes as possible. Thank you.

Edited by AJArmstron, 05 March 2012 - 03:03 PM.

#17 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 22525 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:20 PM

Hmmm... I would suggest changing the "n/a" part to either be blank, or have just plain text in there. Test with "not applicable", or with a ficticious name, or with just blanks... Your SDK status should also read SDK + JDK + Keystore OK, so i suggest that you make sure the android developement kit is installed correctly (i'm sure at this stage that it is but I have to make sure!!!) and that you have instlled the correct Java developemnt kit too.

#18 alexandervrs

alexandervrs

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 708 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:38 PM

I added my local IP as well 192.168.0.2/24 in the Allowed IP list
So add your local IP * and add a /24 at the end

In the android runner I just used 192.168.0.2 (without /24) and I didn't change the port.
Try to leave the keystore information intact until it works.

* fun fact, if you have GM8.1, you can do a:

get_string("This is your local IP :P",mplay_ipaddress());
to find your local IP :P

Edited by alexandervrs, 05 March 2012 - 03:50 PM.

#19 AJArmstron

AJArmstron

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

Hi - I have just tried using The Runner with my device connected. It now seems to work properly - by this I mean the program sent from GM Studio works and I can restart the program by using the runner icon. I think the change that made the difference was using my IP address on the Android device and having a fresh start to the connection attempt (i.e. USB connector lead put back in afresh).

I also took out the n/a for Organisational Unit and Organisation and added a /24 onto the end of my IP address (in GM:Studio itself). However, when I removed these the GM:Studio still worked.

The only other difference between now and earlier is that I used a later release of GM Studio:Beta.

Thanks for your help!

I WOULD APPRECIATE IT IF YOU WOULD CLICK THIS HYPERLINK AND VOTE FOR MY BIG PITCH IDEA. I NEED AS MANY VOTES AS POSSIBLE! THANK YOU!!

Edited by AJArmstron, 05 March 2012 - 09:21 PM.

#20 AJArmstron

AJArmstron

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:46 PM

Hi - using my device today I am finding that it is all very erratic and there is no nice install from the GM:Studio at all. Whenever I try and open the YoYo Runner it can't seem to find a URL and reports an IO Error.

However, I have a way that always works and will allow a program to run once, before you have to repeat this process:
(1.) Ensure that you have the two game files made by GM:Studio which are located in the temporary folder (location shown in GM:Studio console text when you run the program) and store them in the GMstudio folder on your Android device. The two files concerned are the "GameAssets.zip" folder and "GameDownload.lock".
(2.) Make a second copy of the GameDownload.lock on your mobile (i.e. put a copy in a different directory on your mobile).
(3.) Copy the YoYo Runner installation file onto your mobile (e.g. put it in a downloads directory). The Runner is located at on your hard driving finding AppData\Roaming\GameMaker-Studio\Android\com.yoyogames.runner.apk
(4.) Ensure that the Yoyo Runner is uninstalled on your mobile device (if it is installed then you uninstall by selecting Manage Settings>Manage Applications>Find the YoYo Runner icon and Uninstall).
(5.) Next make sure your device is unconnected from the computer and using a file manager program (I use Astro - available for free from the Android market) find the com.yoyogames.runner.apk file (which in my case is stored in the downloads folder) and click on it and install. After the program has installed select to OPEN THE PROGRAM. The program should run.
(6.) To run the program again repeat steps (4), then copy your (extra) GameDownload.lock file into the GMstudio directory and then reinstall the YoYo Runner as in steps (4.) and (5.)

#21 stanchat

stanchat

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:32 PM

Has amyone been successful runing this on the android emulator yet? I have tried but when it downloads to the emulator all I get is a black screen and the game nevr runs.

#22 Manuel777

Manuel777

InvaderGames

• GMC Member
  • 3538 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:27 AM

Has amyone been successful runing this on the android emulator yet? I have tried but when it downloads to the emulator all I get is a black screen and the game nevr runs.

What? this is for android devices, are you talking about a virtual machine running android? (Like AVD or VirtualBox) if so, it wont run until studio is released and it can compile standalone apk's, currently you cant compile, just test directly to a device because it's on beta.

#23 stanchat

stanchat

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:32 AM

What? this is for android devices, are you talking about a virtual machine running android? (Like AVD or VirtualBox) if so, it wont run until studio is released and it can compile standalone apk's, currently you cant compile, just test directly to a device because it's on beta.

Yeah. I was talking about the AVD emulator I use when compiling native android app's. Thanks for clearing this up. I just got on Beta yesterday and wasn't aware. Please dont respond in such a negative way for such a simple question.

#24 Manuel777

Manuel777

InvaderGames

• GMC Member
  • 3538 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:37 AM

Please dont respond in such a negative way for such a simple question.

Forgot the smile at the end, i tend to be quite objective on my replys :)

#25 stanchat

stanchat

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:01 AM

The smiley is not necessary but you could remove the

What?

part of your replies. That was the negative part I was referring to.

Edited by stanchat, 17 March 2012 - 01:44 AM.

#26 ObsidianNovels

ObsidianNovels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 591 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:26 PM

I am using an Xperia X10, with version Android operative 2.1.
Still, the two fields are blank.

See picture below:

Posted Image

How come? We installed Sony PC companion from the phone to sync with PC.

Also, what is the reason behind IP-allowed list? It is not explained in the YoYo-Wiki document...

Anyway, any suggestions on how to make it work?
Thanks.

#27 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8357 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

I am using an Xperia X10, with version Android operative 2.1.
Still, the two fields are blank.

See picture below:

Posted Image

How come? We installed Sony PC companion from the phone to sync with PC.

Also, what is the reason behind IP-allowed list? It is not explained in the YoYo-Wiki document...

Anyway, any suggestions on how to make it work?
Thanks.

Did you install the Java JDK?
Did you fill in the Keystore Data properly?
Did you Generate the keystore file?
Did you check the Android SDK?

The IP Allowed list describes the list of hosts that can access the webserver for HTML5/Android/iOS/Mac testing. It can be the specific IP address of your device (ie 192.168.1.100), or the IP address of your network (192.168.1.0/24), or every IP address (0.0.0.0/0).

Be aware that setting it to 0.0.0.0/0 means every host on the Internet, a potential security concern if you are not behind a router and while the webserver is running.

#28 ObsidianNovels

ObsidianNovels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 591 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

Did you install the Java JDK?
Did you fill in the Keystore Data properly?
Did you Generate the keystore file?
Did you check the Android SDK?

The IP Allowed list describes the list of hosts that can access the webserver for HTML5/Android/iOS/Mac testing. It can be the specific IP address of your device (ie 192.168.1.100), or the IP address of your network (192.168.1.0/24), or every IP address (0.0.0.0/0).

Be aware that setting it to 0.0.0.0/0 means every host on the Internet, a potential security concern if you are not behind a router and while the webserver is running.

I installed Java DK, I thought I aldready had it...

Thanks for explaining the IP-thing. So if I understand correctly, using 192.168.1.0/24 is the best one to use if I am moving my computer from one home to another? Then I don't need to alter the IP every time.

Edited by relicplay, 25 April 2012 - 05:04 PM.

#29 sfroknid

sfroknid

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

What Android device are you using, and what version is it running?

Also, if you're just having trouble getting the runner to install, you should be able to install it manually. Make sure you device allows you to install non-market apps.

On your PC, browse to C:\Users\Alec Desktop\AppData\Roaming\GameMaker-Studio\ Android\com.yoyogames.runner.apk

AppData is normally a hidden folder.

Copy that apk to your phone's SD card or internal memory and then install from there.

Once the app is installed, see if GM will play.

I cant find com.yoyogames.runner.apk in my pc
what should i do???

#30 GenEmm

GenEmm

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

Hi - using my device today I am finding that it is all very erratic and there is no nice install from the GM:Studio at all. Whenever I try and open the YoYo Runner it can't seem to find a URL and reports an IO Error.

However, I have a way that always works and will allow a program to run once, before you have to repeat this process:
(1.) Ensure that you have the two game files made by GM:Studio which are located in the temporary folder (location shown in GM:Studio console text when you run the program) and store them in the GMstudio folder on your Android device. The two files concerned are the "GameAssets.zip" folder and "GameDownload.lock".
(2.) Make a second copy of the GameDownload.lock on your mobile (i.e. put a copy in a different directory on your mobile).
(3.) Copy the YoYo Runner installation file onto your mobile (e.g. put it in a downloads directory). The Runner is located at on your hard driving finding AppData\Roaming\GameMaker-Studio\Android\com.yoyogames.runner.apk
(4.) Ensure that the Yoyo Runner is uninstalled on your mobile device (if it is installed then you uninstall by selecting Manage Settings>Manage Applications>Find the YoYo Runner icon and Uninstall).
(5.) Next make sure your device is unconnected from the computer and using a file manager program (I use Astro - available for free from the Android market) find the com.yoyogames.runner.apk file (which in my case is stored in the downloads folder) and click on it and install. After the program has installed select to OPEN THE PROGRAM. The program should run.
(6.) To run the program again repeat steps (4), then copy your (extra) GameDownload.lock file into the GMstudio directory and then reinstall the YoYo Runner as in steps (4.) and (5.)

Hi AJArmstron! As of the moment I am using the method you mentioned above and it works. Thank you! But if this process can be simplified please tell me on how to do it so that I won't keep on repeating some of the steps every time I test a game. Once again, thank you for the information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users