16 replies to this topic

#1 The Legend

The Legend

Unashamed

• GMC Member
  • 1128 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

Doubt that any of you are Bioncle fans but, there used to be a super smash bros. remake called super smash matoran. The creator broke the link and dropped off the face of the internet and I want to make a simular but not exact remake. If anyone still has that game I'd really apprectaite it if u sent it to me.

#2 Katuko

Katuko

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5847 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

The only link I'm able to find is dead, as you say. Judging by what I've seen of this game, though, it's a fairly standard platform fighter. Couldn't you just start it from scratch instead of referencing the demo that guy made? Anything you think up yourself will most likely be more suited for you to make anyways. :)

That's what I've been doing for my Bionicle fan-game (blatant self-advertising here), and it's served me well so far.

By the way: If you want your signature to make a bit more poignant sense you should probably add an if() statement to that "code". Possibly replace the insane number of 9's with an equation or something as well. Also: The code seems to use a string for what could be done with binary input, and it does not give any alternatives in case the second line has a different value.

#3 The Legend

The Legend

Unashamed

• GMC Member
  • 1128 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:17 PM

I just wanted to make the remake as much like the original as possible. As for my sig, umm its just supposed to represent my relationship with Christ.

#4 Katuko

Katuko

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5847 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

I know, and I know. The thing is, Smash Bros Matoran, if I'm getting the description right, was nothing more than yet another simple platform fighter (no offense meant) in its early stages. It should be easy enough to create a game that is as good as the same just by making a new Bionicle-themed "Smash Bros."-styled game, then. :)

What I meant with the latter was just that 999etc is not an infinite number, as you may want. I'm also generally annoyed by signatures that proclaim "The One Truth™" on random internet forums, so I feel the need to comment on how to improve them while not wanting to start a direct debate. In this case, the obvious GML reference with a lack of syntax and the unnecessarily large width of the signature (similar to excessive punctuation) led me to comment. Sorry about that.

#5 The Legend

The Legend

Unashamed

• GMC Member
  • 1128 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:38 PM

Quite fine about the sig. But as for the game, it was far from early dev and was incredibly popular on the BZP forum. Just wanted to remake it and change it how I wanted.

#6 Katuko

Katuko

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5847 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:46 AM

And yet I can't recall ever seeing it. Then again, I didn't really visit the Games part of the forum until I started my own project, so I guess I'm not the best to help you there. :/

#7 The Legend

The Legend

Unashamed

• GMC Member
  • 1128 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:37 AM

Thats alright. I remember some of it. U could really help ke if u knew someone that would animate for me.

#8 Katuko

Katuko

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5847 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:20 PM

It depends on what you need animated, but me and many others have been adding onto InnerRayg's Bionicle sprite kit. It's perhaps the one most well-suited for games, too, given its range of animations.

#9 The Legend

The Legend

Unashamed

• GMC Member
  • 1128 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:27 PM

I just need the characters animated. But if these sprites your talking about are already animated I'd LOVE to use those.

#10 Katuko

Katuko

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5847 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:51 AM

Here's an old topic with most of the kit. Note that there are many sprite sheet expansions scattered across the pages that are not in the main post. I have most of them saved, so I guess I could make a ZIP for you, if you want.

There aren't too many Matoran sprites given their limited range of motion, but the newer ones work (they look more like short Toa, though). In any case, I have some extra Rahkshi and weapon sprites, I'll compile and upload them as well.

#11 The Legend

The Legend

Unashamed

• GMC Member
  • 1128 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:37 AM

Ok, as long as I don't have to animate them.

#12 Katuko

Katuko

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5847 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:09 PM

You will have to do some animation work, but you won't have to sprite anything. Here is a ZIP archive with most of the sprite sheets I have. The rest are mostly works in progress that are pretty much useless.

http://www.mediafire...qbmkb1bt7xewb19

Any file that ends with "_strip" has already been aligned into a proper animation. All you need to do for those is to Load File in Game Maker's sprite editor. You may need to add the number of frames to the end of some; I didn't bother to. (Example: "_strip8" for an image with 8 frames.)

For masks, you will have to draw them on top of the character with Game Maker, or simply paste them onto the character's heads in a program that supports layers (I recommend Paint.NET). Ditto for color change. Use the palettes provided or just the hue shifter.

If you are lazy (:P), there is also the Rayg Sprite Maker, which will take your settings and return a fixed image for you. It's not updated with all the expansions, but it works splendidly for the basics.

#13 The Legend

The Legend

Unashamed

• GMC Member
  • 1128 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

Rayg is what I am using. Was hoping your sprites were animated but I'll check them out. Will probably use them too. Thanks!
EDIT: Ohhhhh, me like. Will definitely use these. Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it!

Edited by The Legend, 08 March 2012 - 08:53 PM.

#14 Katuko

Katuko

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5847 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:29 PM

What, mine are animated? If you meant you wanted them in GIF format or something, sorry, too much work. these characters have so many different mask/weapon/color combinations that compiling them into animations seemed like a waste of time when they weren't done yet. The various _strip files were made by me after using them in Game Maker, so they should work fine just by loading.

For the record, I used dynamic coloring in my game (split the sprites into parts and color them individually with code), so there can be as many custom characters as the player wants (or the game generates). I won't give you that code given its complexity (and the fact I'm using it for myself right now :P), but if you want to see it in action, I got my game topic... here.

</advertising because I want to show off>

#15 The Legend

The Legend

Unashamed

• GMC Member
  • 1128 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:43 PM

Lol, I'll probably come up with some code of my own that will sufice. Having some weird early problems though. Any time I try to walk to the right the game sets the sprite_index to 0. Trying to figure it out but having one heck of a time

Edited by The Legend, 08 March 2012 - 09:43 PM.

#16 Katuko

Katuko

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5847 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:36 PM

That's really a question for another topic, but go to Scripts --> Check Resource Names. Errors like that are often caused by two resource names being the same.

Or, you have mistyped the sprite name somewhere and has the infernal setting "Treat uninitialized variables as value 0" turned on.

#17 The Legend

The Legend

Unashamed

• GMC Member
  • 1128 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:20 AM

Dont worry fixed it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users