103 replies to this topic

#31 The Legend

The Legend

Unashamed

• GMC Member
  • 1128 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:16 AM

Personally, I don't think that how long you've been here. I mean, someone could be brilliant within a year and do as much posting as Mark if they really commited to it. Yoyo isn't going to judge you based on how long you've been here. They'll judge you based on what you've done with the time you have had.

#32 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• Global Moderators
  • 1583 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:20 AM

It's funny how this discussion is going along the assumption that YoYo Games hires people based on their GMC record.

Most of the YYGs employees that come from a GameMaker background are notable with GameMaker in one way or another, most of them with the notable exception of Mark aren't 'regulars' in the GMC.

In fact, I've noticed that *all* GameMaker related YYG's employees are very active on Twitter, with the exception of dadio. So start tweetin'.

#33 Dan The Man

Dan The Man

Super Smash Master

• GMC Member
  • 533 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:50 AM

It's funny how this discussion is going along the assumption that YoYo Games hires people based on their GMC record.

Most of the YYGs employees that come from a GameMaker background are notable with GameMaker in one way or another, most of them with the notable exception of Mark aren't 'regulars' in the GMC.

In fact, I've noticed that *all* GameMaker related YYG's employees are very active on Twitter, with the exception of dadio. So start tweetin'.

I was referring to "hired" as in getting to be a moderator / forum admin. While I do think forum participation would help with getting a job at the studios, I agree that it would not be the biggest contributing factor.

As for the blatant miss of the sarcastic trolling, I am not too bothered as it seemed to be legit and TV's purpose of posting was not very clear (at least in my quick skimming)

EDIT: Also this serves as a nice reminder to myself why my post count here is so low...

-Dan

Edited by Dan The Man, 06 March 2012 - 12:54 AM.

#34 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8299 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:08 AM

YYGs is currently hiring, although this isn't a technical position it does give a glimpse into their hiring standards.

http://interactiveta...-at-yoyo-games/

Senior Position at YoYo Games

Closing date: March 20, 2012

YoYo Games

Email: sandy@yoyogames.com

URL: http://www.yoyogames.com/

Senior Position looking after day to day operations at a fast growing, world leading games company.

Responsibilities include:-

Day to day smooth operation of the business (currently we have 18 people in Dundee, but expect at least 25 by the end of the year)
Prepare daily/monthly management accounts
Manager contractual relationships with multiple, international suppliers
HR

Qualifications/Experience

Recognised accounting qualification
Methodical and enterprising, but flexible and adaptive personality
Experience using Sage
Knowledge of day to day HR requirements including recruitment, contracts, performance appraisal, etc
Experience in a software/technology company very desirable
Preference will be given to GMC members with a join date on or before Jan 1 2011, post count greater than 1000 and reputation of at least 100

Salary up to 40k

#35 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7510 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:12 AM

<snip>

Well... is was funny, before a moderator had to explain the joke.

But now it's kinda pathetic. :sad:

#36 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:13 AM

As for the blatant miss of the sarcastic trolling, I am not too bothered as it seemed to be legit

Success! Haha, it was just too good of an opportunity to resist...I mean, come on, of course YoYo don't hire based on when you joined the GMC! I shouldn't even need to say that.

Here's what I'd do if I wanted to join YoYo:

- interact with the existing staff via Twitter and the GMC, but don't be an annoyance to them
- post meaningful comments on the GMC and demonstrate your expertise by helping others
- dedicate yourself to developing high quality games
- educate yourself in the fields that YoYo are focusing on, such as mobile and HTML5
- and finally, learn skills beyond GM!

You don't want to present yourself as just a fan of the product...you need to present yourself as a potentially valuable member of their team. Start working for them before you're even hired.

#37 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8299 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:18 AM

- interact with the existing staff via Twitter

I heard that YYGs employees communicate with each other so much via Twitter because they can't stand to be in the same room with one an other.

Just say'n

#38 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7510 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:48 AM

I heard that YYGs employees communicate with each other so much via Twitter because they can't stand to be in the same room with one an other.

Especially after curry night.

#39 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• Global Moderators
  • 1583 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:59 AM

- interact with the existing staff via Twitter and the GMC, but don't be an annoyance to them.

Whoops! So *that's* why I'm not a YoYo employee! #mostannoyingguyontwitter

#40 Robert3DG+

Robert3DG+

Designer

• GMC Member
  • 1925 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

I think it would be nice to work for Yoyo as a straight up game designer. Hopefully someday they will have a job opening for that.

#41 beeproductions

beeproductions

Helping gmc users

• GMC Member
  • 1316 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:10 AM

Working at YoYo?!well let's settle 3 important things before getting on this kind of subject

1)It was a recruitment back in the days. Personally I've applied but I've lost after the final recruitment stage:(.

2)You want to work at YoYo but.. the question is WHAT CAN YOU DO?!You didn't specified this and it's like hey I want to work at Microsoft but I can't program a damn thing:P. You know that you need a strong portfolio to go there. I've applied as a designer and I've lost for the lack of goood programming skills(meh..maybe it's not for me..I'm more a designer).

3)I recommend to build a strong C.V. Remember you are not applying to a silly invented company. You need to be professional and take it serious.:P

#42 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 8625 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:59 PM

...wether its being a 'mini' admin that helps the site...

Rule number one: if someone states they'd like to be a moderator, it's because they want to abuse the moderating powers.

TKG, I'm afraid you just shot yourself in the foot making this topic.

#43 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 22053 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

As has everyone that's posted in it... Posted Image

#44 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 8625 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

As has everyone that's posted in it...

What? I immediately scrolled down to the last page... Hmm, gotta go investigating...

*investigates topic*

Also...
smiley cogs.

Hehe. I've actually changed the icon of my GM'81 shortcut to a home-made Smiley Cog icon just to tell it apart from my GM8.0 shortcut. (Final Columbus get corrupted in Gm'81 due to changes, so I keep 8.0 around because of that game)

Edited by Yal, 07 March 2012 - 01:34 PM.

#45 masterofhisowndomain

masterofhisowndomain

The Designer

• GMC Member
  • 3650 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

As has everyone that's posted in it... Posted Image

...does that mean that your employment is revoked Mark...? :P

Working for YoYo Games is, I presume, like working for most employers. They expect generally high standards in areas such as professionalism, commitment, and work ethic etc., but with that comes a requirement for experience, in programming and with GameMaker itself; although this depends on what area you're hoping to join / is available to you.

You'll need either to apply for positions (as NPT gave an example of), or be spotted by current employees around the place - having demonstrated the above qualities through your activity. That's about it really, no magic formula or post count target to aim for.

#46 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:09 PM

That's about it really, no magic formula or post count target to aim for.

Aim for 30,000 posts, actually. There's no way they could ignore that.

(INB4 anyone quotes me years from now)

#47 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 8625 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:20 PM

As far as I know, the highest poster ever, a moderator since multiple years, currently has around 18 000 posts. If you would actually manage to reach that amount of posts in a reasonable timeframe, it would be a because of most of your posts are low-quality, stressed-trough creations and that you spend all your time on the GMC instead of programming.

Do you really think YYG would be interested in a staff member like that? :P

#48 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

As far as I know, the highest poster ever, a moderator since multiple years, currently has around 18 000 posts. If you would actually manage to reach that amount of posts in a reasonable timeframe, it would be a because of most of your posts are low-quality, stressed-trough creations and that you spend all your time on the GMC instead of programming.

I see an obvious flaw in your comment. Namely the fact that the person who got that many posts was a mod. So either he got mod status despite his spamming, or perhaps, it is possible to make lots of useful comments.

#49 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

...wether its being a 'mini' admin that helps the site...

Rule number one: if someone states they'd like to be a moderator, it's because they want to abuse the moderating powers.

If that is what you want to believe I'm afraid that's your problem. I'm not an idiot, sorry to disapoint you. :)

#50 GameDevDan

GameDevDan

YoYo Games Staff

• Administrators
  • 1246 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

Bingo.

Spoiler

For most of this topic I was like "Not sure if trolling..." made me laugh though.

- In fact, I've noticed that *all* GameMaker related YYG's employees are very active on Twitter, with the exception of dadio. So start tweetin'.
- interact with the existing staff via Twitter

I can imagine the flood of power hungry newbies signing up now. @lordoftheyoyo HELLO SANDY HOW WAS YOUR DAY TODAY? #GiveMeAJobPlease

#51 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 22053 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

I can imagine the flood of power hungry newbies signing up now. @lordoftheyoyo HELLO SANDY HOW WAS YOUR DAY TODAY? #GiveMeAJobPlease

Lol!!! Awesome! Trending topic, guaranteed!

#52 needsfoodbadly

needsfoodbadly

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 110 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:02 PM

Obviously, as with the other functions of this forum, it has everything to do with your join date. Only the real GMC veterans make the cut.

December 2011, eh?
Let's just say you have a ways to go before you can take on the world. Keep working on that by, ummm, waiting I guess. Maybe some day you'll even be here longer than me.

These arbitrary statistics get you far in life. Think of it like a certificate of birth. You need that thing for a lot of stuff. So it must be pretty important to be able to prove that you've been existing for some period of time.

Good luck in all your endeavors, friend.

It's completely possible for someone who has been in the Game Maker community for years and years to have been a complete douche for years and years as well.

It's also possible for a relative newcomer to the GMC to be a professional, helpful, constructive, knowledgeable and contributing member.

All that said being considered for mod-ship in any respectable online community isn't just some arbitrary thing tied to willingness, the amount of time you've been trolling their forums or number of posts.

Unofficially, you can do that now. You can help the GMC by answering questions, reporting problems, and participating in discussions / Jams / etc. And you can help GameMaker development by reporting bugs.
Of course, the pay isn't too good. But the work is interesting. :wink:

Bam! Right on the money.

Edited by needsfoodbadly, 07 March 2012 - 08:02 PM.

#53 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7510 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:08 PM

...if someone states they'd like to be a moderator, it's because they want to abuse the moderating powers.

Actually, I like to abuse the moderators themselves. :tongue: That's much more fun.

#54 GameDevDan

GameDevDan

YoYo Games Staff

• Administrators
  • 1246 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

It's completely possible for someone who has been in the Game Maker community for years and years to have been a complete douche for years and years as well.

It's also possible for a relative newcomer to the GMC to be a professional, helpful, constructive, knowledgeable and contributing member.

All that said being considered for mod-ship in any respectable online community isn't just some arbitrary thing tied to willingness, the amount of time you've been trolling their forums or number of posts.

I have face-palmed so many times at the missed sarcasm in this topic that my face hurts. OR, in some sort of dramatic twist, maybe you were being sarcastic too and I am in fact the rube here.

#55 needsfoodbadly

needsfoodbadly

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 110 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:32 AM

I have face-palmed so many times at the missed sarcasm in this topic that my face hurts. OR, in some sort of dramatic twist, maybe you were being sarcastic too and I am in fact the rube here.

You got me. I guess I missed it. Still a good point though, I think.

So...sarcasm, huh?

_) _)
o o
__

I'll look into it.

#56 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7510 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:47 AM

I have face-palmed so many times at the missed sarcasm in this topic that my face hurts.

It just keeps getting better, doesn't it?

#57 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:12 AM

I have face-palmed so many times at the missed sarcasm in this topic that my face hurts.

Clearly it doesn't, it seems to be a flaw in this topic. Get your facts straight.

#58 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:53 AM

Clearly it doesn't, it seems to be a flaw in this topic. Get your facts straight.

Irony.

#59 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:28 AM

Irony.

That's not Irony, he was making a joke and you didn't notice!!*

(*That's what? Intentional failed sarcasm detection x3?)

#60 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:45 AM

It's gotten to a point where I just assume I'm talking to brain dead coma patients :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users