101 replies to this topic

#51 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8359 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

...if someone states they'd like to be a moderator, it's because they want to abuse the moderating powers.

Actually, I like to abuse the moderators themselves. :tongue: That's much more fun.

#52 GameDevDan

GameDevDan

The Shol'va

• Global Moderators
  • 1357 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:23 PM

It's completely possible for someone who has been in the Game Maker community for years and years to have been a complete douche for years and years as well.

It's also possible for a relative newcomer to the GMC to be a professional, helpful, constructive, knowledgeable and contributing member.

All that said being considered for mod-ship in any respectable online community isn't just some arbitrary thing tied to willingness, the amount of time you've been trolling their forums or number of posts.

I have face-palmed so many times at the missed sarcasm in this topic that my face hurts. OR, in some sort of dramatic twist, maybe you were being sarcastic too and I am in fact the rube here.

MySignature_Test_zpsnzdwoqon.gif InnoquousSignature_zpsz3v5nwam.png

#53 needsfoodbadly

needsfoodbadly

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 110 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:46 AM

I have face-palmed so many times at the missed sarcasm in this topic that my face hurts. OR, in some sort of dramatic twist, maybe you were being sarcastic too and I am in fact the rube here.

You got me. I guess I missed it. Still a good point though, I think.

So...sarcasm, huh?

_) _)
o o
__

I'll look into it.

#54 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8359 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:01 AM

I have face-palmed so many times at the missed sarcasm in this topic that my face hurts.

It just keeps getting better, doesn't it?

#55 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:26 AM

I have face-palmed so many times at the missed sarcasm in this topic that my face hurts.

Clearly it doesn't, it seems to be a flaw in this topic. Get your facts straight.

The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

The destination is much harder to reach when you don't want to walk towards it.

#56 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:07 AM

Clearly it doesn't, it seems to be a flaw in this topic. Get your facts straight.

Irony.

book_forum.png

#57 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Octagon-Man

• GMC Member
  • 7548 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:42 AM

Irony.

That's not Irony, he was making a joke and you didn't notice!!*

(*That's what? Intentional failed sarcasm detection x3?)

#58 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:59 AM

It's gotten to a point where I just assume I'm talking to brain dead coma patients :rolleyes:

book_forum.png

#59 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:53 AM

*prepares to write up a lot of made up stuff, while expecting people to take it seriously*

1-Build a portfolio. Highest priority. I'd say games are the most desirable, If you can't develop full games, (or regularly) then compile examples/ tutorials of cool stuff. A path-finding algorithm, an explosion effect, etc.

2-Master GM. (master is a pretty broad term, but being familiar with all the GML functions, including the advanced stuff like data structs, mp_, and surfaces is a solid start). It's the tool they develop&market, you gotta start here. Use your quest to master GM as an opportunity to sneak in a few extra examples into your portfolio.

3-Be professional. Nah, this doesn't mean wear a suit, or install a spell-checker (although those might help..) Work hard. That's what professionals do. The games portfolio's of Nal, or Nocturne, didn't just come from them being expert GM users, it happened because they put some pretty darn hard yards into their games.

4-Suck up, whenever you can. Become bug-reporter, extraordinaire. And follow 'em on twitter. Shamelessly. (But don't be a pest about it!). If it comes down to 2 people with similar skills, the name they 'know' is more likely to get picked. (well, you'd expect...)

[/end transition from hospital bed]
HTML5 games for mobile:
HexDogs Bugz Burn! Captain George Golfing Block Memory

Games for Androids
*NEW* Word Dog - Published by Dangerous_Dave

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.
Use the quicksort to sort ds_lists 10-18 times faster than ds_list_sort()!

#60 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:53 AM

[/end transition from hospital bed]

You're at least 'nurse' standard, come on ;)

book_forum.png

#61 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:44 PM

Irony.

Wow... Well done on pointing out the irony in what you just said. Posted Image

It's gotten to a point where I just assume I'm talking to brain dead coma patients :rolleyes:

The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

#62 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8359 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

3-Be professional. Nah, this doesn't mean wear a suit, or install a spell-checker (although those might help..)

I agree you don't need perfect spelling. But if you routinely spell "professional" with an extra f... you're probably not a candidate. :wink:

#63 @Alex@

@Alex@

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4706 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:23 PM

I routinely spell many words incorrectly, especially if I'm not using Chrome. Probably should install a spell checker. Guess that's me out of the running for this imaginary job.

Edited by @Alex@, 08 March 2012 - 08:24 PM.

2mma14z.jpg 2nu6efl.jpg 28whvdt.jpg

#64 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9425 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:58 AM

Anyone who thinks you need good spelling or grammar to work for YYG obviously doesn't follow Mike on twitter...

#65 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Octagon-Man

• GMC Member
  • 7548 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:19 AM

Anyone of you who thinks one need's good spelling or grammer to work for YYG obviously don't follow Mike's twitter...

(bad spelling mine)
I know, right?

#66 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8359 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:03 PM

Anyone who thinks you need good spelling or grammar to work for YYG obviously doesn't follow Mike on twitter...

Twitter updates aren't an important part of Mike's job. But I doubt Mike's slides for his HTML5 tutorial at the GDC have many errors.

Besides, Mike's already an established and valuable YYG employee -- so an occasional misspelling isn't that important.

On a YYG job application, however, I suspect spelling and grammar are VERY important. Like it or not, spelling and grammar reveal a lot about candidates. They also matter on the GMC. People who don't write coherently, or use excessive chat-speak, are viewed poorly.

Edited by chance, 09 March 2012 - 12:06 PM.

#67 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:29 PM

Twitter updates aren't an important part of Mike's job. But I doubt Mike's slides for his HTML5 tutorial at the GDC have many errors.

Besides, Mike's already an established and valuable YYG employee -- so an occasional misspelling isn't that important.

On a YYG job application, however, I suspect spelling and grammar are VERY important. Like it or not, spelling and grammar reveal a lot about candidates. They also matter on the GMC. People who don't write coherently, or use excessive chat-speak, are viewed poorly.

Someone triple checked their post for errors ;)

book_forum.png

#68 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8359 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:46 PM

You mean "his" post. The pronoun "someone" is singular. But yes, I knew some smartass attentive reader, like you, would be checking it for errors, so I tried to be careful. :tongue:

And actually, it still contains one error -- or at least one ambiguous pronoun reference.

EDIT: +1 btw.

Edited by chance, 09 March 2012 - 12:57 PM.

#69 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

You mean "his" post. The pronoun "someone" is singular.

Originally yes, but as we don't have gender-neutral pronouns, the word "their" has had another meaning added to it. Some may dislike it, but it's accepted as part of the language now.
String Distortion (Now Staff Picked!)

The .gmx format disassembly

I'm always happy to help with a problem or question you have regarding Game Maker. Feel free to ask me anything you want!

#70 Overloaded

Overloaded

Oneirophobia

• GMC Member
  • 986 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

I would like to work in YYG too... but my age is young and I don't live in UK. I live in Greece Posted Image

gmc_signature.png

Upcoming 2D Turn-Based RPG. You can visit our website, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Check out my GM Marketplace Assets!

Follow me on Twitter: @OVLDD

#71 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:35 PM

You mean "his" post. The pronoun "someone" is singular.

I used an emoticon instead of a full stop, immediately forfeiting any chance at grammatical correctness!

book_forum.png

#72 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:36 PM

Yeh, I don't think chance will ever be employable again.

#73 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8359 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:28 PM

Yeh, I don't think chance will ever be employable again.

Again? I've never been that employable to start with. Just highly specialized.

I would like to work in YYG too... but my age is young and I don't live in UK. I live in Greece Posted Image

If you live in Greece... then forget game making and run for Prime Minister. :tongue:

Seriously, if you're too young to work, focus on school. Then look at other gaming industry job when you graduate.

#74 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:10 AM

If you live in Greece... then forget game making and run for Prime Minister. :tongue:

:lol:

book_forum.png

#75 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:40 AM

These sorts of posts really do make my day. It's rare you find someone who cares enough about an issue or subject that they're willing to spend what must be hours of their time carefully forming and crafting their reply into a brilliant collection of well-founded points and ideas. It's only once in every 1000 posts, but that means the joy at finding such a post is even greater. Well said.

Edited by Dark Matter, 10 March 2012 - 07:41 AM.

I'm always happy to help with a problem or question you have regarding Game Maker. Feel free to ask me anything you want!

#76 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:45 AM

These sorts of posts really do make my day. It's rare you find someone who cares enough about an issue or subject that they're willing to spend what must be hours of their time carefully forming and crafting their reply into a brilliant collection of well-founded points and ideas. It's only once in every 1000 posts, but that means the joy at finding such a post is even greater. Well said.

You're right, I should have added a "lol" in there!

book_forum.png

#77 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8359 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

These sorts of posts really do make my day. It's rare you find someone who cares enough about an issue or subject that they're willing to spend what must be hours of their time carefully forming and crafting their reply into a brilliant collection of well-founded points and ideas.

grumpy... grumpy, Dark Matter. :tongue:

But speaking of working for YYG... I wonder how many job inquiries they got at the GDC in San Francisco? Generally, conferences are great places for job seekers and recruiters.

Edited by chance, 10 March 2012 - 11:53 AM.

#78 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Octagon-Man

• GMC Member
  • 7548 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

What on earth are you talking about? His post was one smiley long.

#79 dadio

dadio

I miss my cupcake

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2334 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:13 PM

People who don't write coherently, or use excessive chat-speak, are viewed poorly

O RLY? :confused:... :mellow:... *cries*

What on earth are you talking about? His post was one smiley long.

A smiley's worth a thousand words.

-----

I'd say being good at GM is a good thing.
Being well known/respected on these forums is a good thing.
Having a lotta relevant work (be it games/code/art) under your belt as proof of your skillz is a *very* good thing.
Having a lotta *fully finished* (&/or published) relevant work is a *very very* good thing.

Failing that, ya can try just being a total clown.
That's been known to work in some cases. :whistle:

Edited by dadio, 10 March 2012 - 12:32 PM.

2a7ubuv.jpg

#80 Overloaded

Overloaded

Oneirophobia

• GMC Member
  • 986 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:21 PM

Seriously, I would like to go and attack the Prime Minister xD. Posted Image I'll focus in school and maybe when I grow up I'll go for programmer. Now I'm Game Making for fun, but I would like to be a professional later. Hehe

gmc_signature.png

Upcoming 2D Turn-Based RPG. You can visit our website, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Check out my GM Marketplace Assets!

Follow me on Twitter: @OVLDD

#81 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:50 PM

These sorts of posts really do make my day. It's rare you find someone who cares enough about an issue or subject that they're willing to spend what must be hours of their time carefully forming and crafting their reply into a brilliant collection of well-founded points and ideas.

I'm only having a bit of banter :P
Although, I do think posts with only an emoticon are going a bit too far down the "spam" route...

#82 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8359 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

Although, I do think posts with only an emoticon are going a bit too far down the "spam" route...

Generally, I'd agree. But for some members, a single emoticon is more coherent than their usual posts.

N.B. I'm not referring to your target's author.

#83 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• Global Moderators
  • 1587 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:30 PM

Generally, I'd agree. But for some members, a single emoticon is more coherent than their usual posts.

:whistle:

#84 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 24918 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:12 PM

Posted Image

lz6lxdC.pngd7ZQQ3F.gifFlvJzyf.png

40799.png

#85 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:16 PM

Posted Image

#86 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8359 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:23 PM

Good one guys :tongue:

back to my earlier question: I wonder if Sandy/Russell/Mike brought back any job applications / resumes from the GDC? Conferences are great places to look for and/or change jobs.

Edited by chance, 11 March 2012 - 11:26 PM.

#87 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:29 PM

Yeah, I was going to reply to your original post with yet another emoticon, but that might have been too spammy. That wasn't my intent.

Edited by True Valhalla, 12 March 2012 - 12:17 AM.

book_forum.png

#88 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:43 PM

Good one guys :tongue:

back to my earlier question: I wonder if Sandy/Russell/Mike brought back any job applications / resumes from the GDC? Conferences are great places to look for and/or change jobs.

Sandy on twitter sounded very impressed with Eric Ruth, whom they met there. Don't know if he offered him a job or not, though.
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.

#89 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:44 PM

Yeah, I was going to reply to your original post with yet another emoticon, but that might have been too spammy. That wasn't my intent.

Heard about you and your honey'd words.

#90 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8359 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:55 PM

Sandy on twitter sounded very impressed with Eric Ruth, whom they met there. Don't know if he offered him a job or not, though.

I just read that tweet. Sandy sounded very complimentary: "Easily the most interesting part of #GDC12 was meeting @EricRuthGames what a dude ! Eric has done amazing stuff with gamemaker."

#91 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:07 AM

They used to be chicken flavored.

book_forum.png

#92 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:13 AM

I just read that tweet. Sandy sounded very complimentary: "Easily the most interesting part of #GDC12 was meeting @EricRuthGames what a dude ! Eric has done amazing stuff with gamemaker."

Yeah, I should have posted the tweet, too, cheers.

I've been looking up some of his stuff, some seriously impressive work. Why have I never heard of this guy before?! :tongue:
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

#93 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:53 AM

I've been looking up some of his stuff, some seriously impressive work. Why have I never heard of this guy before?! :tongue:

I've actually seen some of his work before, but never realised it was made with GM. That seems to be happening quite a lot now, actually...

#94 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:41 PM

They used to be chicken flavored.

You see, now whenever I laugh at anything you say, I'm cut short by the disapproval of your avatar, then I feel awkward and laugh at myself... so yeh, your jokes get 10% more laughs.

#95 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 4967 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:06 PM

Damn.... missed this topic. I could have had great fun insulting Chance and TV.... *sigh*... missed opportunity there.

Oh, and to my bad speling and gramamma.... yeah, ah well, just as well I don't help oversee the docs eh?!?! Oh...wait..... bugger.

As to what we look for. You all have it pretty close. A Rep of around 1,000 will get you noticed, a posting history of 8K+ is required, and a bribe of 10K will get you an interview.

Aside from that........ err.... being most awesome helps. We're all awesome at YoYo Games. It's sometimes hard walking through the room with all that sun shining out of our arses! ::lmao::

Although seriously..... Bribes. That's the way in. And being great at what you do. I guess that would come in a close second.

...............also helps to like cheese. Just sayin' :whistle:

#96 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 24918 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

Mature cheddar cheese... from the Orkney Isles preferably, but any Scottish one will do. Yep...

lz6lxdC.pngd7ZQQ3F.gifFlvJzyf.png

40799.png

#97 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8652 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:36 PM

Damn.... missed this topic. I could have had great fun insulting Chance and TV.... *sigh*... missed opportunity there.

Oh, and to my bad speling and gramamma.... yeah, ah well, just as well I don't help oversee the docs eh?!?! Oh...wait..... bugger.

As to what we look for. You all have it pretty close. A Rep of around 1,000 will get you noticed, a posting history of 8K+ is required, and a bribe of 10K will get you an interview.

Aside from that........ err.... being most awesome helps. We're all awesome at YoYo Games. It's sometimes hard walking through the room with all that sun shining out of our arses! ::lmao::

Although seriously..... Bribes. That's the way in. And being great at what you do. I guess that would come in a close second.

To get hired at YYGs you have to embrace the Scottish culture. This means:
  • Truly believe that there hasn't been a great poet since Robbie Burns.
  • Love watching curling, even when Canada beats your arses every year.
  • Say arse, not ass.
  • Point out that one of your relatives grew up in the same village as Sean Connery every time his name is mentioned.
  • Support the separation of Scotland from England, but believe Wales should stay because they can't take care of themselves.
  • Amuse American tourists with your quaint Scottish dialect and expressions when you're really calling them ignorant boors.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#98 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:38 PM

You'll get those b@stards next time!

book_forum.png

#99 ugriffin

ugriffin

Idiot

• Global Moderators
  • 1587 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:16 AM

Why don't you have a seat over there...

#100 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8359 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:41 AM

I suppose the application process was a bit tricky for Piotr Gnys (gnysek on the GMC)... since he was from Poland.

But he was clever when he filled out the application. Under location, he put "West Poland". Then when Sandy asked "how far west?", gnysek answered "Scotland". :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users