MG4Mac game won't compile as an app

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ncluff

ncluff

GMC Member

• 9 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:07 PM

My student has a space invaders clone that will not compile as an .app. It will compile and run in game maker, and I was also able to compile it as a .exe file for windows, but when we try to compile it as a .app for the mac the compiler crashes. We've tried compiling it on different machines, but to no effect. Any suggestions?

Edited by ncluff, 28 February 2012 - 06:10 PM.

#2 vonStauffenberg

vonStauffenberg

GMC Member

• 25 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

1330452477[/url]' post='3914468']
My student has a space invaders clone that will not compile as an .app. It will compile and run in game maker, and I was also able to compile it as a .exe file for windows, but when we try to compile it as a .app for the mac the compiler crashes. We've tried compiling it on different machines, but to no effect. Any suggestions?

GM4Mac == bugs,bugs and some more bugs Posted Image

#3 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9399 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:16 AM

Are there any non-normal functions you're using? Anything that could be considered advanced by any stretch of the imagination?

If it's not a particularly complicated game, feel free to PM me a copy of the GMK and I'll have a go at converting it. I've converted a fair few Windows games to Mac, there's a bit of a knack to it.

#4 1 Shogun

1 Shogun

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 48 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:12 AM

Is the student using Game Maker 8 for the Windows and then converting it to work for GM4Mac (version 7)? Because, the student may be using random functions to create the "invaders" or their bullets that work differently in each version of Game Maker. I know you said that the "compiler" crashes, but are you referring to "run the game" or "create a stand alone executable?" Make sure he or she has ran the game before creating an app on GM4Mac first.

[This works for both versions:

random(x);

[These random functions are for GM8 only:

random_range(x1,x2);
irandom(x);
irandom_range(x1,x2);

If the student converted the GM8 project file to GM7 or GM6 via Lateral Game Maker, as far as I know, it doesn't check to make sure that the code used is consistent with the desired version. However, if the student were to make the game on GM4Mac and then ported it to GM7 or GM8 for Windows, there shouldn't be any problems (other than bugs he or she may encounter on GM4Mac that YoYo probably won't fix). And by the way, just because it's a space invader's clone, please note that Joy Stick controls don't work on GM4Mac, and if the student used "drag and drop" instead of code to make the game this could have caused problems, conversion or not. I have had to re-drag and drop save and load game functions for the GM4Mac version to get it to work from a windows GM7 version. Kind of weird... had nothing to do with per-existing save files.

Edited by 1 Shogun, 10 March 2012 - 12:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users