13 replies to this topic

#1 GreenMeteorTeam

GreenMeteorTeam

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 190 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

It's true, I was stalked by Slender Man in my dreams during the development of the game - complete with the camera effects happening to my vision, asleep, and awake in daydreams. That'll teach me to make a horror game where the AI requires lots of testing. For those that don't know, Slender Man is an urban myth about a tall, faceless, man in a suit who stalks people and causes footage to be corrupted. The Endermen of Minecraft were heavily inspired by it.

Anyway, here are some clips from the game; sorry in advance for the graphics :P Though some people have said they add to the scariness, tell me what you think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qtzrjgvtxs
Posted Image
Posted Image

I was given 3-4 weeks to complete a scary game for a Halloween competition on 64Digits and this was the result. If you like weeping angels from Dr. Who then you'll be able to figure out Slendy's AI pretty fast, but I still find it difficult to make it through without blacking out at least once. So give it a play, tell me what you think!

Slender Man game page on my site

Direct Dropbox Download

Controls are WASD, left mouse button, and right mouse button. Use them on stuff  :)
Hitting escape will cause you to exit the game immediately.

Edited by GreenMeteorTeam, 12 April 2012 - 06:44 PM.

#2 masterofhisowndomain

masterofhisowndomain

The Designer

• GMC Member
  • 3650 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

Very effective psychological horror game, had me genuinely anxious throughout. There's a great pervading sense that something is not quite right, and the introduction with the broken down car was very convincing. Overall, a game that's well worth looking at.

#3 Newly Discovered

Newly Discovered

Harmonious Genius

• GMC Member
  • 2475 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:23 PM

I agree. I was afraid. One thing I didn't like, was that there were so many of the normal masked people.
The first one I saw creeped me out...but after that they weren't scary at all. the tall guy always made me run though.

If I were to change anything, it could be the gun. I might do a knife that when they jump on your, you could stab them.
edit: Oh right, and I would lessen the view bobbing while running. it is WAY too annoying!

Good work!

Edited by Newly Discovered, 28 February 2012 - 11:24 PM.

#4 coco13

coco13

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 201 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:14 AM

Pretty good man. 4/5. I only wish I could've figured out what to do after inserting the second video tape. The "go" one. :( Walkthrough or hint to keep me going? x) Great job man.

#5 Vile Smile

Vile Smile

Oh, Outrageous!

• GMC Member
  • 553 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:10 AM

Incredibly scary! ::lmao::

coco13, after seeing the 'go' video...
Spoiler

My only complaint is that there is little challenge. Otherwise, a good game.

4/5 :thumbsup:

Edited by Vile Smile, 13 March 2012 - 03:10 AM.

#6 GreenMeteorTeam

GreenMeteorTeam

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

Thanks so much for the replies everyone!

@Joseph/ND - Yeah, those masked guys can get overwhelming before you get the gun. Yet I only placed 2 in the game... If you play again and pass out, immediately run back to where you passed out and look on the ground...

Originally I planned on letting the player pick up rocks and drop them on a fallen masked man to kill one or break a leg. But that just seemed too violent :/

@Vile Smile - Thanks for giving the tip, challenge is definitely my main focus for next projects like this, the lack of it tends to make it less "gamey".

I finally figured out how to embed the Youtube video here in the post so that's done. And this was featured on retroremakes.com (now One Word: Videogames) a little over a week ago!

Edited by GreenMeteorTeam, 23 April 2012 - 02:04 PM.

#7 Natedog9145

Natedog9145

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 16 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

PewDiePie played this game and made a video about it!

:D

#8 creativebunch

creativebunch

The Bunchiest

• GMC Member
  • 901 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:31 AM

I saw PewDiePie play this game recently when I was looking for other Slender games, but I didn't realise it was a GM game.

Based on the video and screenshots the graphics and models are nicely done, I'll be sure to play this... Tomorrow, when it's daylight.

#9 Justin Nitro

Justin Nitro

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:40 AM

Wow, I Didnt Know That This Game Was Made In Game Maker!

#10 Chi Mai

Chi Mai

GMC Member

• 1 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:03 AM

The Dance Begins is a beautiful musical piece, have you made it yourself?

#11 Druid

Druid

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:27 AM

After few years... I still think  that this is the best slenderman game. But.. Why is not on gamejolt? :D

#12 GreenMeteorTeam

GreenMeteorTeam

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 190 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:05 AM

Good question :P I think I should make the Mac port first but it seems like a good idea.

#13 Greenhawk911

Greenhawk911

SHS Drumline

• GMC Member
  • 660 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:04 AM

Hey I remember you. You helped me with my killstreaks a couple years back when I was new to the forum.  :woot:  your game looks good downloading

#14 Glock18

Glock18

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 666 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:29 PM

This game is really nice to play. It has a creepy ambiance to it, and the little boy with his dad kind of creeped me out. The tension went out the window though when the piano started playing, because it made me remember that it is just a game. You could make the piano effect be coming from somewhere (like a music player), but otherwise it kills the suspense.

All in all though pretty creepy. Nice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users