6 replies to this topic

#1 interpolicer

interpolicer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 149 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:49 AM

I'm asking if it is possible to have GameMaker in a usb drive, ready to go.
I'd like to have GM with me instead of carrying my laptop, because at work I can dedicate some time to myself (obviously after all work is done). Registered or unregistered is of no consequence, as I have it already installed in my desktop and laptop.

Just for a prototyping environment, I think unregistered would suffice.

#2 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 6805 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

I'm asking if it is possible to have GameMaker in a usb drive, ready to go.

By "ready to go" you mean ready to install? Sure.

But I don't know how you could run GM from the USB drive... without installing it on a computer.

Either way, if you only need the unregistered version (as you said), then why not just install GM:Lite on your computer at work? (Unless there's a company restriction on that.)

Edited by chance, 24 February 2012 - 11:58 AM.

#3 interpolicer

interpolicer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 149 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:23 PM

Though there's some lenience towards software installs, the convenience in having it in a USB pen would be nice. Either way, I'll try it next monday and post results.

#4 Gamer_Dude64

Gamer_Dude64

GM Html5 Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:00 AM

You can have gm run from a usb flash drive but it won't retain pro version. It will be the lite edition, at least it was the last time I tried it.

Edited by Gamer_Dude64, 06 March 2012 - 04:00 AM.

#5 IsmAvatar

IsmAvatar

Good Samaritan

• GMC Member
  • 2411 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:23 PM

Another option is LateralGM.
Upsides: Very portable, sits in 1 file (lgm.jar). Cross-platform. Can save/load different versions of GM (can even load GM8 games and save them as GM6).
Downsides: Requires Java. Cannot run the game. Unofficial (not affiliated with Yoyogames).

#6 michael pw

michael pw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1488 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

Yh, you can just run it off a usb stick however any pc you use it on, if you want pro you need to re-enter the activation key on that computer, once you do it, it will still active on that pc. (i do this for school, if ever i want to use Gm at school sometimes).

#7 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 7945 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:00 PM

Yh, you can just run it off a usb stick however any pc you use it on, if you want pro you need to re-enter the activation key on that computer, once you do it, it will still active on that pc. (i do this for school, if ever i want to use Gm at school sometimes).

Hey if it's working for you great.

But you do realise that this is against the EULA, and by doing a lot of re-registering of your activation key you are exposing yourself to black-listing of your activation key.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users