6 replies to this topic

#1 interpolicer

interpolicer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 149 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:49 AM

I'm asking if it is possible to have GameMaker in a usb drive, ready to go.
I'd like to have GM with me instead of carrying my laptop, because at work I can dedicate some time to myself (obviously after all work is done). Registered or unregistered is of no consequence, as I have it already installed in my desktop and laptop.

Just for a prototyping environment, I think unregistered would suffice.
Never give up your dreams! Be a kid at heart, but be an adult in life. :)
Messing around with GM for now...

#2 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7975 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

I'm asking if it is possible to have GameMaker in a usb drive, ready to go.

By "ready to go" you mean ready to install? Sure.

But I don't know how you could run GM from the USB drive... without installing it on a computer.

Either way, if you only need the unregistered version (as you said), then why not just install GM:Lite on your computer at work? (Unless there's a company restriction on that.)

Edited by chance, 24 February 2012 - 11:58 AM.

#3 interpolicer

interpolicer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 149 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:23 PM

Though there's some lenience towards software installs, the convenience in having it in a USB pen would be nice. Either way, I'll try it next monday and post results.
Never give up your dreams! Be a kid at heart, but be an adult in life. :)
Messing around with GM for now...

#4 Gamer_Dude64

Gamer_Dude64

GM Html5 Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:00 AM

You can have gm run from a usb flash drive but it won't retain pro version. It will be the lite edition, at least it was the last time I tried it.

Edited by Gamer_Dude64, 06 March 2012 - 04:00 AM.

User of- [GameMaker 7 lite/GameMaker 8 Pro/GameMaker 8.1 Standard/GameMaker Studio Professional]

Check out GM:Studio .gmx documentation here written by Dark Matter.

#5 IsmAvatar

IsmAvatar

Good Samaritan

• GMC Member
  • 2411 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:23 PM

Another option is LateralGM.
Upsides: Very portable, sits in 1 file (lgm.jar). Cross-platform. Can save/load different versions of GM (can even load GM8 games and save them as GM6).
Downsides: Requires Java. Cannot run the game. Unofficial (not affiliated with Yoyogames).
Posted Image LateralGM is an IDE for editing GM files on Linux, Mac, and Windows.
We also house the GM File Format Documentation and other projects of that nature.
IsmAvatar.com | Examples | Scripts | Particles | DLLs | Credit Me
Email | Registered

#6 michael pw

michael pw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1488 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

Yh, you can just run it off a usb stick however any pc you use it on, if you want pro you need to re-enter the activation key on that computer, once you do it, it will still active on that pc. (i do this for school, if ever i want to use Gm at school sometimes).

Known as MishMash on the internet, If only my username could be changed :D?

Posted Image

Working on Sharp Edge, a 3D Level designer which exports to GMMOD and textures, with a vast toolset, and fancy GUI. ( So far, software is only going to be distributed with my game, in the future, it will be up for public use and with the ability to customise the software using the Plugin System to suite your games needs.)
Also working on 3D Multiplayer FPS Global Anarchy Denied Operations.

#7 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8472 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:00 PM

Yh, you can just run it off a usb stick however any pc you use it on, if you want pro you need to re-enter the activation key on that computer, once you do it, it will still active on that pc. (i do this for school, if ever i want to use Gm at school sometimes).

Hey if it's working for you great.

But you do realise that this is against the EULA, and by doing a lot of re-registering of your activation key you are exposing yourself to black-listing of your activation key.

keep_crap_150_zpsd7af69c5.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users