• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 KygonsCube

KygonsCube

GMC Member

• 155 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:30 AM

I've been using GameMaker for over 4 years now and I feel pretty confident about my spriting enough to start a topic to try to fulfill requests from GMC members. I've recently been active in the forums to complete requests on other people's topics, but I figured this way I can keep track much more easily.

You reply with a request; if there aren't too many other requests here, I can TRY to fulfill it, in a few days.

Anyone who wants to join in on attempting the requests feel free to, I love competition >:)
Also, I really need some good criticism, I don't want to hand you over some crappy sprite I through together in a few minutes, this will take some effort, hours probably, if there's something you think needs fixing tell me.

I'm going to start off with some basic guidelines that your request must abide to in order for me to attempt the request.

No animated sprites. (I'm not ready for that)
Multiple requests are fine, just not too many.
No sprites larger than 64 pixels in width or height.

Your request must also include this information. * = recommended

What the thing I'm supposed to draw looks like or what it is (Of course lol)
Size
Colors
*Examples/Style

Here are some examples of my recent work, I mostly have just done tiles recently, I'm not good at animation.
Posted Image
Posted Image
(Not so proud of this one, it was a failed attempt) \/\/\/
Posted Image

Edited by KygonsCube, 04 March 2012 - 01:41 AM.

#2 Tyrannosaurus rex

Tyrannosaurus rex

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 498 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

Hey KC,
I'am creating some sprites a of a monster when he is in the state of becoming a giant wrecking ball of crystals and I needed you to modify these sprites to match that look:

G-spritesheet

The first sprite at the top doesn't require it but the others below do. You'll have to Create them tailored to those bodies and meshup the tail and legs to either removed or streamlined into the crystals.
I'll also need a rotation about the horizontal of the second line sprite so that I could make a spinning charged attack like the one M.bison does in street fighter.

Anyhow here is the link to getting details on the monster with space crystals. Its the one flying and blasting the other monster. The crystal formation on his back,shoulders and lower torso is what needs to be added.

Spacegodzilla

4:20 to 6:21

#3 KygonsCube

KygonsCube

GMC Member

• 155 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:24 PM

Anyhow here is the link to getting details on the monster with space crystals. Its the one flying and blasting the other monster. The crystal formation on his back,shoulders and lower torso is what needs to be added.

Spacegodzilla

Man, it took me like ten minutes to figure out where all the crystals were, so many special effects and bad camera angles.

Anyways, your request seems doable and I'll try to have it ready soon.

#4 soccer99

soccer99

Unschooled Developer

• GMC Member
  • 524 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:18 PM

I'll take a grass tilesheet. 32*32. With slopes 1x1 and 1x2(less steep slope). Platform view!

I am a programmer and filmmaker.

#5 KygonsCube

KygonsCube

GMC Member

• 155 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:03 AM

I'll take a grass tilesheet. 32*32. With slopes 1x1 and 1x2(less steep slope). Platform view!

Green I'm assuming? Grass can be a lot of different colors.

#6 Tyrannosaurus rex

Tyrannosaurus rex

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 498 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:31 AM

Man, it took me like ten minutes to figure out where all the crystals were, so many special effects and bad camera angles.

Sorry about that. I'll be much more considerate with giving resources to sprite artists next time.

#7 soccer99

soccer99

Unschooled Developer

• GMC Member
  • 524 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:18 AM

Yeah green haha

I am a programmer and filmmaker.

#8 KygonsCube

KygonsCube

GMC Member

• 155 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:06 AM

Sorry about that. I'll be much more considerate with giving resources to sprite artists next time.

Sorry the sprites are taking so long, I've been pretty busy lately.

Just kidding, I'm procrastinating lol.

But seriously, I'm trying to get it done, I just can't seem to get the crystals right, this is some weird high detail/contrast style where you can actually see his skin is leathery, I can't seem to get crystals to not look weird.

Edited by KygonsCube, 25 February 2012 - 07:12 AM.

#9 Tyrannosaurus rex

Tyrannosaurus rex

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 498 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:11 AM

Sorry the sprites are taking so long, I've been pretty busy lately.

Just kidding, I'm procrastinating lol.

But seriously, I'm trying to get it done, I just can't seem to get the crystals right, this is some weird high detail/contrast style where you can actually see his skin is leathery, I can't seem to get crystals to not look weird.

You are doing pixel art right?

I don't need photoshop or paintshop pro stuff. The crystals just have to look convincing with around 4 to 5 colors of shade.

#10 KygonsCube

KygonsCube

GMC Member

• 155 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:16 AM

You are doing pixel art right?

I don't need photoshop or paintshop pro stuff. The crystals just have to look convincing with around 4 to 5 colors of shade.

Of course, and I always limit the amount of colors, no worries.

Edited by KygonsCube, 25 February 2012 - 08:17 AM.

#11 kikjezrous

kikjezrous

Seer of Spaaace

• GMC Member
  • 637 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:25 PM

Please make me a painting style explosion, ~300x300, small circular blast.
MXfDv0N.png > braveadventurer@quest-DUTIMS:~$ _ don tseethebr akuhhuh Thread - Mirror - Tumblr

nIdGebz.png

#12 Blazingocean

Blazingocean

GMC Member

• 27 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:19 PM

Hello!
I'm making a platformer and I'm coping with the tiles, however I'm stuck for a character. I'm aware you said that you're better at tiles - so I won't be offended if you don't decide to do my sprite.
I'm looking for a young boy character with a retro feel.
Think Cave Story
I was sort of thinking of an astro hat ( a red baseball hat with an antenna thing at back ) - similar to the cave story one, although obviously I don't want it to be too similar-
with blonde hair.

Requirements:
16X28 pixels
Standing still sprite ( I might manage to animate it although if you think you can then it's an immense help)

Optional:
Still, breathing animation(shoulders moving up and down)
Walking right animation
In jump sprite

~Blaze
Click this for free cookies ---> Posted Image

SideQuest

#13 KygonsCube

KygonsCube

GMC Member

• 155 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:26 PM

I was sort of thinking of an astro hat ( a red baseball hat with an antenna thing at back ) - similar to the cave story one, although obviously I don't want it to be too similar-
with blonde hair.

Cave Story? **** yeah, I'll give it a shot, although I might be unable to do the animation.

#14 Blazingocean

Blazingocean

GMC Member

• 27 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:28 PM

with blonde hair.

Cave Story? **** yeah, I'll give it a shot, although I might be unable to do the animation.

SideQuest

#15 KygonsCube

KygonsCube

GMC Member

• 155 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:29 PM

Please make me a painting style explosion, ~300x300, small circular blast.

There's no info on color, I can only do sprites smaller than 64x64, I think you mean you want me to do an animation?

#16 kikjezrous

kikjezrous

Seer of Spaaace

• GMC Member
  • 637 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:44 PM

Sorry, umm... white/purple? And I guess 64/64 would work... Posted Image
MXfDv0N.png > braveadventurer@quest-DUTIMS:~$ _ don tseethebr akuhhuh Thread - Mirror - Tumblr

nIdGebz.png

#17 KygonsCube

KygonsCube

GMC Member

• 155 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:15 PM

Sorry, umm... white/purple? And I guess 64/64 would work... Posted Image

Well, I'll give it a try, it does seem interesting, although I have a lot of requests at the moment and it may take longer than expected.

#18 kikjezrous

kikjezrous

Seer of Spaaace

• GMC Member
  • 637 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

Danke!

nIdGebz.png

#19 NicroGames

NicroGames

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 300 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:01 PM

Size: 32x32 per tile.
Details: Tileset. Green grass at the edges and then fading into a dark brownish color. In the style of the rest of my game (http://img267.images...5/screen1wt.png), which is a platformer. Something a bit like the reference would be very great.
Reference: http://www.noelberry...hesakeoftea.png

Take your time! I'm serious about my project , and I'm going to sell it. You will of course get credit and a free version of the game.

Edited by NicroGames, 25 February 2012 - 10:02 PM.

#20 KygonsCube

KygonsCube

GMC Member

• 155 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:26 PM

Size: 32x32 per tile.
Details: Tileset. Green grass at the edges and then fading into a dark brownish color. In the style of the rest of my game (http://img267.images...5/screen1wt.png), which is a platformer. Something a bit like the reference would be very great.
Reference: http://www.noelberry...hesakeoftea.png

Take your time! I'm serious about my project , and I'm going to sell it. You will of course get credit and a free version of the game.

Alright, seems relatively easy, might take a while I've got a few requests pending atm.

#21 NicroGames

NicroGames

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 300 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:35 AM

Thanks. I know you have a lot of requests, so take your time. I have lots to do on the game, so it doesn't really matter.

#22 KygonsCube

KygonsCube

GMC Member

• 155 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:27 AM

with blonde hair.

Requirements:
16X28 pixels
Standing still sprite ( I might manage to animate it although if you think you can then it's an immense help)

Optional:
Still, breathing animation(shoulders moving up and down)
Walking right animation
In jump sprite
~Blaze

Alright, I attempted it, I had some trouble with the skin color and hair color (Yellow has always been a difficult color for spriters =/ ), and since there wasn't much info on colors of clothing I just went with cave story's clothing colors, here's the image, tell me if there's anything I should change.

Original
Posted Image
Skin Re-color and shading fix
Posted Image
Pants Re-color, (Cave Story-esque aspect removed!)
Posted Image

Edited by KygonsCube, 27 February 2012 - 02:36 AM.

#23 Blazingocean

Blazingocean

GMC Member

• 27 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:51 PM

Wow - I love it. Much better than I could have done. I'll try to tweak the skin and hair colour although I don't think I'll be able to make it any better than you have! :thumbsup: There isn't really anything in particular that I would change.

~Blaze

SideQuest

#24 KygonsCube

KygonsCube

GMC Member

• 155 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:01 AM

Hey KC,
I'am creating some sprites a of a monster when he is in the state of becoming a giant wrecking ball of crystals and I needed you to modify these sprites to match that look:

G-spritesheet

The first sprite at the top doesn't require it but the others below do. You'll have to Create them tailored to those bodies and meshup the tail and legs to either removed or streamlined into the crystals.
I'll also need a rotation about the horizontal of the second line sprite so that I could make a spinning charged attack like the one M.bison does in street fighter.

Spacegodzilla

4:20 to 6:21

For some reason, I missed that highlighted part...
Well whatever, here's what I did.
Posted Image

At this point considering I spent quite a while just to make that, which doesn't even fulfill the request and I don't even feel that it looks good.

I'd have to say I can't complete the request. :sad:

It's too hard to draw bright white crystals on a sprite that's really dark, has high saturation and high detail.

Edited by KygonsCube, 28 February 2012 - 08:08 AM.

#25 NpN Games

NpN Games

Stupid Evil Genius

• GMC Member
  • 200 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:34 AM

See if you can make anything for me: http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=532825 :)
Add me on steam: nipunarora

#26 Tyrannosaurus rex

Tyrannosaurus rex

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 498 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

Aww man... I loved your sample quite alot. It couldn`t have been better. The crystals look really awesome. By the way, I think you misunderstood my request. I wanted his flying form, not his regular form:

Difference note

scroll up to find out.

Its the giant ball of crystal`s spikes IÓm after. Its shaped kinda like a `Y-shaped`mistletoe. The spritesheet I provided was for you to determine what angle we are viewing the the sprites from to make it appear a little 3d and not so flat. Just provide me the ball of crystals done exactly the way you have done on your sample and you don`t have to integrate the sprites inside it.

In short just make a large crystal ball with crystal spikes that is shaped out like a Y-shaped mistletoe in the angle of the sprites in the spritesheet provided.

Edited by Tyrannosaurus rex, 28 February 2012 - 12:48 PM.

#27 KygonsCube

KygonsCube

GMC Member

• 155 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:27 PM

Aww man... I loved your sample quite alot. It couldn`t have been better. The crystals look really awesome. By the way, I think you misunderstood my request. I wanted his flying form, not his regular form:

Difference note

scroll up to find out.

Its the giant ball of crystal`s spikes IÓm after. Its shaped kinda like a `Y-shaped`mistletoe. The spritesheet I provided was for you to determine what angle we are viewing the the sprites from to make it appear a little 3d and not so flat. Just provide me the ball of crystals done exactly the way you have done on your sample and you don`t have to integrate the sprites inside it.

In short just make a large crystal ball with crystal spikes that is shaped out like a Y-shaped mistletoe in the angle of the sprites in the spritesheet provided.

Hmm, well, it doesn't sound that time consuming, although it's something completely new it could be complicated.
I'll try it out then, is it alright if you wait for me to finish a few of my other requests? I'm somewhat behind.

#28 KygonsCube

KygonsCube

GMC Member

• 155 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

The images you requested on that topic are way too big, it wouldn't fit my style, I always try to restrict the amount of colors I use so it'd be difficult.

#29 NpN Games

NpN Games

Stupid Evil Genius

• GMC Member
  • 200 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:59 AM

The images you requested on that topic are way too big, it wouldn't fit my style, I always try to restrict the amount of colors I use so it'd be difficult.

K, no problem :)
Thanks for looking
Add me on steam: nipunarora

#30 NicroGames

NicroGames

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 300 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

Do you have any idea about when you will do my request? I don't mean to stress you, I just thought it would be good to know.

EDIT: I actually made something ok myself. If you still want to try, then go for it.

Edited by NicroGames, 01 March 2012 - 08:58 PM.

#31 KygonsCube

KygonsCube

GMC Member

• 155 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:16 PM

Do you have any idea about when you will do my request? I don't mean to stress you, I just thought it would be good to know.

EDIT: I actually made something ok myself. If you still want to try, then go for it.

I've actually made a lot of grass tilesets recently, that's sorta been holding me back since it's hard to come up with new ideas, I already have another grass request on this exact topic. It's such a common request on the forums, I can still do it though, I've just been busy.

If you want though, I could make a grass tileset of a different color and texture, since you already have something for it.

Same goes for soccer99, although I'm already working on your tileset, changing it shouldn't be hard though.

Edited by KygonsCube, 01 March 2012 - 10:25 PM.

#32 SlashKnight95

SlashKnight95

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:55 AM

I need a shadow the hegdehog sprite. Can it be Neo Shadow? If your busy it's fine any other sprites like Neo versions of the sonic sprites its fine. Also Is there a Neo Green Hill sprite sheet?

Edited by SlashKnight95, 02 March 2012 - 02:00 AM.

#33 KygonsCube

KygonsCube

GMC Member

• 155 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:09 AM

I need a shadow the hegdehog sprite. Can it be Neo Shadow? If your busy it's fine any other sprites like Neo versions of the sonic sprites its fine. Also Is there a Neo Green Hill sprite sheet?

I don't really understand what you're asking for, is this the Neo sonic stuff you're talking about?
Neo Sonic Universe - Sonic Playthrough Stage 1

Also, I think what you're asking me for a sprite rip, I don't do that, I make original sprites.
And your request doesn't follow the format I provided.
I think I talked to you on another topic also, if you're the one who was looking for ripped sprites just look at the Resources topic in the graphics forum.
A good 5 minutes of looking around this website below, and you should find some decent sonic sprites.
spriters-resource.com
http://www.spriters-...cth1/index.html

Edit: Yeah, you are the guy I talked to earlier, I just checked. http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=532866

Edited by KygonsCube, 02 March 2012 - 04:20 AM.

#34 NicroGames

NicroGames

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 300 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:17 AM

Well, this is what I made: http://img268.images...1607/sgrass.png
If you want to improve it or make it a tileset, then do that, but it's ok if you don't want to do that.

#35 KygonsCube

KygonsCube

GMC Member

• 155 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:14 PM

Well, this is what I made: http://img268.images...1607/sgrass.png
If you want to improve it or make it a tileset, then do that, but it's ok if you don't want to do that.

It looks pretty good, if I come with something I'll try to alter it and make a tileset, but for now I gotta work on soccer99's tileset.

#36 KygonsCube

KygonsCube

GMC Member

• 155 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:17 PM

Soccer99, do you have anything I could reference? Like a similar type of style you want? Or maybe something to add to the grass? A specific tint/mood for the grass?

It's hard to come up with something new out of nothing.

Nevermind, I got this! :thumbsup:

Here's the sample.
Posted Image

What do you think?

Edited by KygonsCube, 03 March 2012 - 10:24 PM.

#37 NicroGames

NicroGames

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 300 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:23 PM

Okay, I have another request if you want to do it. I'll just post it anyway:

Size: Same as reference.
Details: A redo of the reference, but with some details/texture. It should be pixel art in the style of my game (Pic1, Pic2, Pic3). The rest is pretty much up to you.
Reference: Cave

Just ask for more details, I can't think of any more right now.

EDIT: Extra details:
Making the cave in half the size of the reference, and then scaling to double makes the sprite fit better for my game.
Blue-ish colors.

Thanks!

Edited by NicroGames, 05 March 2012 - 09:12 PM.

#38 KygonsCube

KygonsCube

GMC Member

• 155 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:23 PM

Alright, I'll try to get a sample done soon, since Soccer99 still hasn't responded I actually have some downtime.

Any specific colors though?
I definitely would NOT go with gray, gray is boring.
I'd go with either a low saturation blue or red, maybe purple or green.
Basically what would decide this is what your cave.
Would you describe it as a dark, dank, natural cave (blue)
Or a brighter perhaps within a desert or volcano type of cave? (red)
Purple would fit a dark cave that doesn't have much greenery.
And green would be pretty much the opposite of purple.

Or something else?

Edited by KygonsCube, 03 March 2012 - 10:24 PM.

#39 NicroGames

NicroGames

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 300 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:33 AM

Thanks!

Well, the cave will be surrounded by the grass I made, so maybe blue? I don't know much about colors, but I think a blue-ish cave would be good.

#40 Furmo

Furmo

legend

• GMC Member
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

I need a sprite like this : Heli

But in the style of this : heli2

Furmo.

#41 KygonsCube

KygonsCube

GMC Member

• 155 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

Seems doable, what size though?
Do you need the rotor animation also? that's pretty easy.

Edited by KygonsCube, 04 March 2012 - 09:25 PM.

#42 The Legend

The Legend

Unashamed

• GMC Member
  • 1132 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:29 PM

I need certain sprite sheets animated. please PM me if you can help out.

#43 KygonsCube

KygonsCube

GMC Member

• 155 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:34 PM

I need certain sprite sheets animated. please PM me if you can help out.

You mean you just need to convert a sprite sheet into (an) animation(s)? You can do that in game maker's built in editor.

Edited by KygonsCube, 04 March 2012 - 09:38 PM.

#44 The Legend

The Legend

Unashamed

• GMC Member
  • 1132 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

Ya I know, I'm just incredibly slow at it and end up some how (don't ask how) end up messing it up. So I would like someone to do them for me.

#45 KygonsCube

KygonsCube

GMC Member

• 155 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:52 AM

Ya I know, I'm just incredibly slow at it and end up some how (don't ask how) end up messing it up. So I would like someone to do them for me.

It's pretty easy, although sometimes it can take up some time if it's multiple animations, although it's better if you just do it yourself.
I'm not going to do it though, I don't provide that service, and I don't want to get more boring or non sprite-work based requests.

#46 BluePotato1994

BluePotato1994

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 185 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:59 AM

Would you mind making some accessories for my Sheep. See this post Click Here
Posted Image
Stick Legends Online - Networking Programmer / GML Programmer Alpha out NOW!

Was this post helpful? if so click (+)

#47 KygonsCube

KygonsCube

GMC Member

• 155 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:22 AM

Would you mind making some accessories for my Sheep. See this post Click Here

I'm not really creative, it'd be better if you'd specify what the accessories were.
But I don't know, something that small would be too easy to sprite, so I'll have to decline.

#48 KygonsCube

KygonsCube

GMC Member

• 155 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:26 AM

Done, I kept the same colors from the reference.
Posted Image
Metal Slug 1 is HARD, or at least the style is unique which made it difficult, was pretty fun making it anyways.
Edit: (I'm talking about spriting, I just realized how that last sentence sounded weird /\/\/\)

I drew it at a different angle because I thought otherwise would be boring and non Metal slug-esque.
You'll have to draw on the helicopter blades though, shouldn't that hard, it's just one color.

Edited by KygonsCube, 06 March 2012 - 05:47 AM.

#49 The Legend

The Legend

Unashamed

• GMC Member
  • 1132 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:32 AM

It's pretty easy, although sometimes it can take up some time if it's multiple animations, although it's better if you just do it yourself.
I'm not going to do it though, I don't provide that service, and I don't want to get more boring or non sprite-work based requests.

It is ALOT of animating. I need at least 8 different animations for an ever-growing amount of characters.
I understand if you don't want to do it. I don't even want to do it. Though that's kinda why I came to you... cuz ur a spriter which can be as boring or tedious as a programmer. But at somepoint you'll have to animate something so don't let it shock you when you do need to cuz it's a comin.

Edited by The Legend, 06 March 2012 - 12:35 AM.

#50 KygonsCube

KygonsCube

GMC Member

• 155 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:30 AM

It is ALOT of animating. I need at least 8 different animations for an ever-growing amount of characters.
I understand if you don't want to do it. I don't even want to do it. Though that's kinda why I came to you... cuz ur a spriter which can be as boring or tedious as a programmer. But at somepoint you'll have to animate something so don't let it shock you when you do need to cuz it's a comin.

Yes, at some point I'll have to animate, but dealing with sprite strips doesn't really help me in learning animation since it's easy and I already know how to do it.
It's just a waste of my time.