79 replies to this topic

#61 sin_of_nature

sin_of_nature

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 121 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:59 AM

Does anyone know if the iOS, Android and Mac export will be native code or HTML 5 apps with a wrapper like phonegap or appmobi round them ?

#62 rwkay

rwkay

YoYo Games CTO

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2176 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

All Studio targets are native so iOS, Android, Mac etc are native applications HTML5 is javascript native.

No wrapper or anything going on.

Russell

#63 sin_of_nature

sin_of_nature

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 121 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:06 PM

Wow... that is amazing! I'm drooling at getting my hands on this. No pressure lads, but adding Windows 7 Mobile and XBox 360 (XNA type) would be a nice addon to make. Cover all mobile bases. :)

All Studio targets are native so iOS, Android, Mac etc are native applications HTML5 is javascript native.

No wrapper or anything going on.

Russell

Edited by sin_of_nature, 28 February 2012 - 12:07 PM.

#64 CloudBomb

CloudBomb

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 434 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:39 PM

...wouldn't you agree?

I'm not disagreeing because of your suggested pricing structure. YYG may ultimately adopt that approach.

But we should be able to discuss pricing structure without you claiming that YYG is just trying to milk its customers. :dry:

Look, YYG is in the process of offering new products, and new structured options for exports. Don't jump to conclusions that their ultimate product/pricing structure is to "get more money off of us".

I'm just saying that there shouldn't be a Studio at all and that YYG should just add the export options to GM:Standard itself.

From the VERY LITTLE that has been said about it GMHTML5 was a beta that was sidelined with the addition of the other export options + whatever comes along with it, with that in mind:

1) Owners of GMHTML5 get a "free" upgrade to GMS because that is what they currently have.
2) No one is paying for "double product."
3) After GMS comes out, a whole new brand spanking fresh re-write of the game maker framework will be available when it is also finished, combining everything together.

Really it's just upgrades being released under different names until GM9. No need to freak out. :)

Yes, you ARE buying double product. You have to pay for Standard AND Studio THEN exports.

Would love if you could elaborate on this with some details.

#65 michael pw

michael pw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1488 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

OMG Installing GM Studio :D!

Edited by michael pw, 29 February 2012 - 04:26 PM.

#66 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 7355 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

Nintendo goes to E3, but they target family audiences. I am not sure what you are trying to argue other than to try and poke fun at me.

How many people go to the E3 fair to buy their consoles and game discs? All the guild folks go to E3, and then the games become available in shopping malls after some time. You fail to understand the difference between a "game" and "game developping software" here, I'm afraid, Mr.RPG.

#67 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3056 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:47 PM

Nintendo goes to E3, but they target family audiences. I am not sure what you are trying to argue other than to try and poke fun at me.

How many people go to the E3 fair to buy their consoles and game discs? All the guild folks go to E3, and then the games become available in shopping malls after some time. You fail to understand the difference between a "game" and "game developping software" here, I'm afraid, Mr.RPG.

I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say, this does not sound anything related to the topic at hand.

Let's keep this on topic?

#68 CloudBomb

CloudBomb

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 434 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

Congrats on the winners that were notified this morning!

#69 The Legend

The Legend

Unashamed

• GMC Member
  • 1126 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:52 AM

If you can just sign up for the beta program, what's the point of the contest? Just the fact that you get it a wee bit earlier?

#70 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7110 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:00 PM

If you can just sign up for the beta program, what's the point of the contest?

Just a promotion to generate some interest on Facebook. Good way to reach some customers who might not otherwise hear about it.

Free and easy marketing. :wink: Why not?

#71 mrpeanut188

mrpeanut188

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 814 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:53 PM

From Paul Naked Toastz:

Child: Mom, I want to develop games. If I do a few more chores will you give me the money?
Mom: Sure Son. How much do you need?
Child: $2,100 for an all access pass to GDC.
Mom: No problem. Just make sure you do a good job cleaning up the kitchen.
Child: And $1,500 for a plane ticket and hotel, it's in San Fransisco.
Mom: Empty the cat litter as well.
Child: All the other kids are going.

Total trip cost: $3,600. False tickets? Priceless. That is what society's thoughts today are.
Me? I'm only 13. Still a die hard fan. If Studio does release for under about $600, I would save up.
I already have about $250 saved.

#72 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• Retired Staff
  • 15731 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:10 AM

I just found this. Like added

#73 The Legend

The Legend

Unashamed

• GMC Member
  • 1126 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:09 PM

From Paul Naked Toastz:

Child: Mom, I want to develop games. If I do a few more chores will you give me the money?

Total trip cost: $3,600. False tickets? Priceless. That is what society's thoughts today are.
Me? I'm only 13. Still a die hard fan. If Studio does release for under about $600, I would save up.

Seeing as HTML5 owners get a free upgrade and that HTML5 currently costs $99, I highly doubt GM studio will be anymore than that.

#74 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8136 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:57 PM

From Paul Naked Toastz:

Seeing as HTML5 owners get a free upgrade and that HTML5 currently costs $99, I highly doubt GM studio will be anymore than that.

You can't make that conclusion.

GM:HTML5 is and has been offered at a discounted price of $99 from $199. An early incentive for Beta testers and early adopters. Heck I didn't even pay $99, I paid $79.

It's also silly to state a price. GM:Studio will have multiple prices depending on what exports you want and the price of each export. The majority of people showing interest in Studio are particularly interested in the iOS and Android exports. Its a given that when studio is released many purchasers will also be wanting those exports. These modules are a key component of the price, and we have nothing to gage what their prices will be.

#75 adhgarra

adhgarra

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:54 AM

Quick question? Is it still going to be psp compatible?

#76 Sondar

Sondar

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 225 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:18 AM

Quick question? Is it still going to be psp compatible?

No. There was an initial plan to target PSP as a platform, but there are numerous restrictions on PSP publishing - like having to get a ESRB rating on each game, which is expensive. At the moment, and for the near future, the only way to get published on PSP is to talk to YoYo Games, who have published on PSP themselves.

Sondar

#77 Jack Indie Box

Jack Indie Box

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1558 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:58 PM

talk to YoYo Games, who have published on PSP themselves.

I knew they changed plans(mainly based on sony) but i didnt know they had released anything on there(im kind of a playstation store "enthusiast") what was it?(i presume a playstation mini)

#78 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 7355 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:01 AM

I think they ported Skydiver for the PSP, at least they showed a running demo back in the days.

#79 Tennx

Tennx

The Entrepreneur

• GMC Member
  • 311 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

So you have to first buy GMS and then pay more for iOS/Android etc.?

Honestly GMS (and GMHTML5) shouldn't even be a separate product, it should just be included in all 8.x updates and then you can choose to purchase iOS/Android/HTML5 exports at any time. You guys make it so much more complicated than necessary. I'm guessing you guys do this to get more money off of us.

Actually, I find your point to be pretty reasonable:

• Buy GM:Standard 8.1, for $39.99
  • Upgrade to Studio, for $60.00
Okay, sounds good. But there is a fatal flaw on your viewpoint.

• Starting in the fact that each software is based on a different programming language: It's impossible to build the studio version with the current GM:Standard 8.1 as a base software... GM:Standard 8.1 was based on Delphi, while Studio uses C++.
  • The development team took the decision to build the GM:HTML5 version as a prequel to the GM:Studio, as an strategical course of action because of the increasing popularity of this new technology. GM:HTML5 and GM:Studio are (theorically) the same product.
  • GM:Studio has a completly new code written in C++ for Windows based games, so technically it includes another completly new version of GM:Standard (you can't compare 8.1 with Studio, which adds tons of new features to the Windows based applications)
So, can you keep saying that YYG is sucking money from our wallets? I don't think so... :)

'nuff said

Edited by Tennx, 10 May 2012 - 05:00 PM.

#80 kburkhart84

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games

• GMC Member
  • 1913 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:36 AM

I think the part that wasn't mentioned here is the difference between GM8.1 and Studio(the base version). For example, GMStudio will have Box2D physics, and source control systems, and GM8.1 does not have these things.

Now, once it goes to GM9(GMNext), it will be pretty much the same thing, where GM9 Lite will be the free version, which would be the same as GM9 Standard but with a few limits, and maybe the watermarks, or whatever Yoyo decides on. Then GM9-Studio will be GM9 Standard with a few extras, like Physics and source control, and maybe some other extras that we don't know about yet, and then the capability to add exports to it(iOS, Android).

My point here is that GMStudio isn't simply a more expensive replacement for GM8.1, rather it is a "higher-tier" version, with more features, which happen to include the add-on exporters. A competitor here(that works similar, but not exactly the same) is Unity, in that you have a free version, the pro version, and then the mobile exports have Pro and standard options, which are not free at all(except for the recent promotion which already ended I believe). Shiva3d by Stonetrip varies some from this, in that the free version only does web games, and then the paid version does all of the exports, including windows, and then they have a more expensive pro version, which simply adds features. But, the point is that though there are different pricing structures, not one of them provides everything for free, and for the most part more features cost more money, so why would you expect Yoyo to do anything differently. Like Chance mentioned earlier, they are now a "real" company, not a single guy doing it for a hobby, so they have mouths to feed, but in exchange, we are getting much more. Do you think Mark Overmars working alone was ever going to even get near having GM export to iOS/Android, or even HTML5 for that matter???

I also saw how a specific poster was insisting on not paying for new versions. WTF??? What software that you pay for works like that?? Adobe's lineup does not, nor does the Windows or Mac OS's, nor Maya or 3dsMax, or pretty much any piece of software that isn't free. Many companies offer "upgrade discounts," which YoyoGames has done in various forms, and the reality is that Yoyo has been quite generous, allowing us to upgrade for free in many instances, and the special deals we are getting for early adoption of GMStudio is just great. I was with the group that paid for GM4HTML5 at the price of $79. I haven't really done much web development, but I get GMStudio plus the HTML5 export which is valued at $299 for the whole package for the measly price of $79. So I not only get the new features of GMStudio for windows games, I also have the option of moving to WebDev if I feel the need, and I also have the option to pay $200 for one of the mobile exports, if I so choose. And if Yoyo continues there generosity, they MAY offer a discount to upgrade to GM9-Studio when that comes out, but they MAY not, and at that time, I will see if the new features of the GM9 lineup are worth it for the price, and if so, I buy, and if not, I either wait for a price drop to make it worth it, or new features in the lineup, or another iteration(GM10) and then buy. The choice is mine, and I can't blame YoyoGames for wanting my money. They aren't forcing me into anything, and now that they have incoming money from sales, they will be able to fund new version of the software, which means the sound and input engine will get redone, and other even better features will come. Do you think Mark Overmars was ever going to be able to do all of this on his own???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users