79 replies to this topic

#1 scotay

scotay

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 147 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:26 AM

YoYo Games are delighted to announce that five lucky people will be given early access to the Closed Beta of GameMaker: Studio this March. On the 1st of March 2012, all those that have liked the YoYo Games Facebook page (www.facebook.com/yoyogames) will be entered into a prize draw to win entry into the Closed Beta of GameMaker: Studio.

Five closed beta invites are up for grabs and the winners will be picked at random and notified on the 2nd of March. To qualify for the lucky draw, visit the YoYo Games Facebook page at www.facebook.com/yoyogames and click on like.

#2 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2493 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

YoYo Games are delighted to announce that five lucky people will be given early access to the Closed Beta of GameMaker: Studio this March. On the 1st of March 2012, all those that have liked the YoYo Games Facebook page (www.facebook.com/yoyogames) will be entered into a prize draw to win entry into the Closed Beta of GameMaker: Studio.

Five closed beta invites are up for grabs and the winners will be picked at random and notified on the 2nd of March. To qualify for the lucky draw, visit the YoYo Games Facebook page at www.facebook.com/yoyogames and click on like.

Already liked it. Was trying to find the right YoyoGames facebook for a while now. Cheers scotay!

EDIT: Almost forgot, good luck to all who've entered :happy::)

Edited by King Tetiro, 21 February 2012 - 11:58 AM.

#3 AJArmstron

AJArmstron

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:05 PM

Does this mean that GameMaker Studio will now officially be released after the GDC which I understand takes place on the 5-9 March?

#4 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2493 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:16 PM

Does this mean that GameMaker Studio will now officially be released after the GDC which I understand takes place on the 5-9 March?

Mike posted this yesterday. Hopefully this will clear things up

GameMaker:Studio lets your download to the device (iOS or Android) for testing and development. It's really, REALLY easy to work with (and is MOST awesome :thumbsup: )

It'll be out soon......ish :whistle:

Edited by King Tetiro, 21 February 2012 - 12:16 PM.

#5 Overloaded

Overloaded

Seeker of Balance

• GMC Member
  • 965 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

Super! I'd love to see GM: Studio.

I "liked" your facebook page.
And good luck to people who want to see GM: Studio.

#6 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7472 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

Five closed beta invites are up for grabs and the winners will be picked at random...

That's a really gracious offer. But at the same time, it makes me cringe... just a little. Not sure this is a risk I'd take with a new product.

Picking your first public users at random, means it may be someone who can't write functional code or use the IDE properly -- so naturally, he'll decide GM:Studio is "bugged". :tongue: This isn't a problem when there are dozens of other skilled beta users to make objective assessments. So I hope you follow this offer with selected users who can report their opinions to the Community.

But like I said, it's a gracious offer. So good luck with it.

Edited by chance, 21 February 2012 - 05:46 PM.

#7 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2493 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

Five closed beta invites are up for grabs and the winners will be picked at random...

That's a really gracious offer. But at the same time, it makes me cringe... just a little.

Picking your first public users at random, means it may be someone who can't write functional code or use the IDE properly -- so naturally, he'll decide GM:Studio is "bugged". :tongue: This isn't a problem if there were dozens/hundreds of other beta users to make objective assessments. So I hope you follow this offer, with selected users who can report their opinions to the Community.

Not sure this is a risk I'd take with a new product... but like I said, it's a gracious offer.

Actually come to think of it Yoyo, Chance has a point. I'd suggest asking people who you already know who intend to develop with GMS and are able to produce quality games with GM8+. Like for example, just looking at the first page in the W.I.P Section
Zesterer (To try 3D Development), martijn dh (I know the guy. He can code!) and tabc3dd (For seeing how well the graphical effects can get)

#8 Chris_Devl

Chris_Devl

The Next Gabe Newell

• GMC Member
  • 326 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:52 PM

I'm just wondering.. Is this new GMS everything 8.1 is and more? Or is it like HTML5 where there's some drawbacks?
Also, do 8.1 users get GMS for free? Or is it an entirely seperate development tool (which would kinda answer my first question).
I assume it's a new tool otherwise if it's just a more featurefull version of GM8.1 they'd just call it 8.2 or 9.. Also it'd make the numbered series absolete..

If anyone knows, thanks in advance.

#9 niiiiick

niiiiick

GMC Member

• 35 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:42 PM

Also, do 8.1 users get GMS for free? Or is it an entirely seperate development tool (which would kinda answer my first question).

I remember reading somewhere that users who bought GM:HTML5 would get a discount. I have no idea if this is true or was confirmed by Yoyo. As far as GM8.1 users, they probably will get a very small discount, if any discount at all.

#10 GameGeisha

GameGeisha

GameGeisha

• GMC Member
  • 4371 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:00 AM

Picking your first public users at random, means it may be someone who can't write functional code or use the IDE properly -- so naturally, he'll decide GM:Studio is "bugged". :tongue: This isn't a problem when there are dozens of other skilled beta users to make objective assessments. So I hope you follow this offer with selected users who can report their opinions to the Community.

Fortunately there are people from the closed alpha who do make sensible objective assessments. However, that doesn't stop other non-sensible things like breaching the NDA by leaking the GMS beta to the Pirate Bay or giving away the key to a friend. As a long-term member YoYo can count on me not doing things like that, but the same can't be said for a random kid from Facebook --- you know how much they love to share.

If I were YoYo, I'd rather create a group on LinkedIn and hold the draw there instead. It exposes GMS to more valuable professional audiences as opposed to teenagers from Facebook. You can also determine directly from their profiles whether they are good tester candidates, an added bonus that Facebook simply doesn't support very well because of its focus on informal socializing.

Is this new GMS everything 8.1 is and more? Or is it like HTML5 where there's some drawbacks?

Yes, mainly the ability to export to multiple platforms. There will always be "drawbacks" when multiple platforms are involved, regardless of what you're using. For instance you can't use DLLs anywhere other than Windows nor access local files with HTML5, simply because of platform differences that you have to work with.

I assume it's a new tool otherwise if it's just a more featurefull version of GM8.1 they'd just call it 8.2 or 9.. Also it'd make the numbered series absolete..

GMS is an entirely separate product, so GM8.1 users will have to buy it. It's GMHTML5 users who get Studio free with just the Windows, Mac and HTML5 exports enabled. For them, the only extras that need to be purchased are the mobile exports.

GM9 is the future unifying rewrite that will merge the Windows-based GM and Mac-based GM together, and that will come after GMS.

GameGeisha

#11 Gamer3D

Gamer3D

Human* me = this;

• GMC Member
  • 1819 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 08:41 PM

Actually come to think of it Yoyo, Chance has a point. I'd suggest asking people who you already know who intend to develop with GMS and are able to produce quality games with GM8+. Like for example, just looking at the first page in the W.I.P Section
Zesterer (To try 3D Development), martijn dh (I know the guy. He can code!) and tabc3dd (For seeing how well the graphical effects can get)

"3D development" will generally test less of GM than "2D development", due to the built-in functions being primarily 2D. Someone making a 2D game will often use the built-in collisions, movement, etc. Someone making a 3D game (Not just a 2D game with 3D graphics) will often find that the best possible action is to create their own functions or find a DLL/Extension. To give a popular example: P3DC is often used in 3D games because it's better in 3D than GM's built-in collisions.

On the subject of the selection method: I agree that for such a small beta, the people using it should probably be chosen carefully, but I believe Tetiro's reasons for recommending people are flawed; here's why:
  • "3D development": As explained above, this will tend to explore less of the development environment.
  • "I know the guy. He can code!": No offense, but I know lots of people who "can code!", but are not particularly good at it; without significant backup examples, this is like saying "We'll let my nephew make the website. He knows HTML!". It also says nothing about the person's ability to test the product.
  • "For seeing how well the graphical effects can get": If you list the graphics functions, experienced users can get a very good idea about how good the graphical effects can become. For example: d3d_set_zwriteenable(). An immediate use would be the removal of sorting on commutative blend modes (Additive, multiplicative, max). It's also a VERY small subset of the engine, and would probably be better tested by an experienced user running a few test cases.

Note that I'm not saying I'd be a good tester for GM. I tend to use GM as a graphical test-bed for C++ code. This doesn't often test many of GM's functions (Although some tests have been hindered by bugs or undocumented behavior in GM8.1, such as some squared numbers being negative, the dot_product functions not behaving as documented, and Runtime error 216 occuring when the game closes--this has been shown to happen even with nothing but GML in the game. The runtime error hasn't been fixed.)

I think a good tester for GM would be someone who's made multiple games in different genres and wants to move them to a new version of GM. If I was to put someone up for it, I'd say OmicronGamer, due to the brevity of my list of known people and his tendency to create games from different genres (Specifically, he's done platform, RPG, and strategy, which should cover a wide variety of GM's functions).

P.S. Tetiro, nothing bad will happen if you aren't the creator of every second or third post. If you find yourself in this situation, it's often a good idea to just IM the person you're talking to.

EDIT: I re-ran my examples of the runtime error. They do not have it anymore. I have modified this post accordingly.

Edited by Gamer3D, 23 February 2012 - 09:34 PM.

#12 The Legend

The Legend

Unashamed

• GMC Member
  • 1128 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:30 PM

AWESOME!! Makes me wish I had a Facebook...

#13 michael pw

michael pw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1488 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:08 AM

Just out of concern, is Gm:Studio built like GM:HTML5 or is it more like GM8.1, in the first video showcasing studio, i thought that looked perfect. I bought GM:HTML5 and i can't stand using it, mainly because i find that the colour scheme when it comes to coding is kinda weird and dark and even when changing the theme, the program looks a little glitched, one thing that really bugs me is the fact that it doesn't fullscreen. Don't get me wrong i love Game Maker i just really wish GM:Studio looks more like GM8.1 rather than a whole new Program, i mean its not unbareable to use although it really is frustrating and as a result i can't take GM:HTML5 seriously at all :/

I love what Gm:Studio is offering i just really really hope that the GUI looks a little nicer, i understand that yoyo is still a very new company however changing the display of the program can't be impossibly hard. (yes ik you can change the theme but that doesn't fix the problems.) Idk if this is just a temporary issue but its something that i see as a little off putting when it comes to buying future game maker versions.

#14 rwkay

rwkay

YoYo Games CTO

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2352 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:09 AM

[quote](Although some tests have been hindered by bugs or undocumented behavior in GM8.1, such as some squared numbers being negative, the dot_product functions not behaving as documented, and Runtime error 216 occuring when the game closes--this has been shown to happen even with nothing but GML in the game. The runtime error hasn't been fixed.)/quote]

Can you please file bugs about these (a separate bug about each one, and a concise example with each one)... in what cases do you get

1) squared numbers being negative
2) dot_product not behaving as documented
3) Runtime error 216 occurring when the game closes.

And we will fix them.

If you already have filed bugs could you please reply here with the links to them and we will prioritise them.

Russell

#15 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21961 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:28 AM

Just out of concern, is Gm:Studio built like GM:HTML5 or is it more like GM8.1, in the first video showcasing studio, i thought that looked perfect. I bought GM:HTML5 and i can't stand using it, mainly because i find that the colour scheme when it comes to coding is kinda weird and dark and even when changing the theme, the program looks a little glitched, one thing that really bugs me is the fact that it doesn't fullscreen. Don't get me wrong i love Game Maker i just really wish GM:Studio looks more like GM8.1 rather than a whole new Program, i mean its not unbareable to use although it really is frustrating and as a result i can't take GM:HTML5 seriously at all :/

I love what Gm:Studio is offering i just really really hope that the GUI looks a little nicer, i understand that yoyo is still a very new company however changing the display of the program can't be impossibly hard. (yes ik you can change the theme but that doesn't fix the problems.) Idk if this is just a temporary issue but its something that i see as a little off putting when it comes to buying future game maker versions.

The HTML5 interface is really exactly the same as the GM8.1 interface! The only thing that was changed was the ability to add/modify the skin... By selecting the GM8 skin from the preferences you get the old one back, and the fullscreen option is being added again for that skin. Please realise a lot of the GUI problems relate to the delphi code being used and so can't be completely solved without the re-writing of GM from the ground up in C++... Something that will happen for GM9. So, please, be patient and realise that we do try to fix (or at least work around!) all these issues as soon as they come up.

#16 Lightang3l

Lightang3l

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1293 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:34 AM

Is there any reason to get GMS if you make games exclusively for Windows? :confused: Is it better/faster than GM8.1 for Windows? :unsure:

Edited by Lightang3l, 23 February 2012 - 09:34 AM.

#17 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 3275 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:00 AM

There is good team support in Studio, and you'll have access to Box2D Physics, which is a huge addition.

#18 The Legend

The Legend

Unashamed

• GMC Member
  • 1128 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

However does win needs to post his or her experiences on youtube

#19 CloudBomb

CloudBomb

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 438 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:54 PM

Box2D is one of the things I am looking forward too the most.

Query: In regards to Android/iOS publication, YoYoGames has no interference with this process via GMS, correct?

#20 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21961 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:09 PM

Box2D is one of the things I am looking forward too the most.

Query: In regards to Android/iOS publication, YoYoGames has no interference with this process via GMS, correct?

No, when it comes to publishing, you are on your own! We only give you the tools...

#21 CloudBomb

CloudBomb

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 438 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:32 PM

Ahh, fantastic. Rumors begat of rumors and what-have. I am glad to hear there is no gating for publishing.

#22 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:08 PM

GMS is an entirely separate product, so GM8.1 users will have to buy it. It's GMHTML5 users who get Studio free with just the Windows, Mac and HTML5 exports enabled. For them, the only extras that need to be purchased are the mobile exports.

GM9 is the future unifying rewrite that will merge the Windows-based GM and Mac-based GM together, and that will come after GMS.

GameGeisha

Is that really true? When I bought gm html5 I thought Mac packages were only included in studio. Same with gm9? That's awsome. I bought two products that were a lot better investment than I thought they'd be. Minus the fact I don't need gm9 when I already have html5

O____O

#23 CloudBomb

CloudBomb

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 438 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:37 PM

So, is it safe to assume that current GMHTML5 license owners will gain access to the new physics and gml updates that come with GMS, regardless if we purchase the mobile option? Mobile export being the one thing that is limited until activated?

Edited by CloudBomb, 23 February 2012 - 04:16 PM.

#24 Gamer3D

Gamer3D

Human* me = this;

• GMC Member
  • 1819 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:33 PM

1) squared numbers being negative

I believe my problem was occurring when I was taking the square roots of a sum of squares. With all of those instances replaced with point_distance_3d, this error has not occurred.

The dot_product problem was fixed a while ago. The problem was that dot product has a very precise mathematical meaning, and the function has a different one. The manual used the term dot product, without specifying the change in meaning.

3) Runtime error 216 occurring when the game closes.

Re-checking my examples of this error reveals that this does not occur in those cases anymore. Sorry about causing you to worry. I will remove the note from my previous post.

#25 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 3275 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

I believe my problem was occurring when I was taking the square roots of a sum of squares. With all of those instances replaced with point_distance_3d, this error has not occurred.

This still seems impossible. If you square a number, it'll always be positive. NO idea what you were doing there, but sounds like a bug in your own stuff to be honest.

Yes, having read back through it, we agree. It was added specifically for lighting, and in retro spec, should have been named differently.

The next GM81 update will address this. We've change the dot product to JUST be a dot product, and we've added dot_product_normalised() and dot_product_3d_normalised() which will do the "lighting" behaviour. I've also reworded the description of the normalised version, as the previous on was nonsense. (I must have been drunk when I wrote it)

Not sure when this will go out though.

#26 Gamer3D

Gamer3D

Human* me = this;

• GMC Member
  • 1819 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:43 AM

This still seems impossible. If you square a number, it'll always be positive. NO idea what you were doing there, but sounds like a bug in your own stuff to be honest.

It's been a while, so I don't remember what exactly was causing the problem, but I remember that it was a number that was guaranteed to be non-negative causing domain errors with the sqrt() function. I am reasonably sure it was my distance calculations, but I could be wrong.

Whatever it was, some combination of using point_distance_3d and clamping anything I feed into the sqrt function has prevented the problem from resurfacing.

Yes, having read back through it, we agree. It was added specifically for lighting, and in retro spec, should have been named differently.

To help people make baked lighting, I assume?

The next GM81 update will address this. We've change the dot product to JUST be a dot product, and we've added dot_product_normalised() and dot_product_3d_normalised() which will do the "lighting" behaviour. I've also reworded the description of the normalised version, as the previous on was nonsense. (I must have been drunk when I wrote it)

The current documentation has an acceptable (logical, accurate) description.

#27 lordvtp

lordvtp

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 635 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:50 AM

Wow, out of all the reasons people have tried to force me to open a facebook account and all the times i'v resisted.... Fine...you win :biggrin:

#28 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3137 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:50 PM

So you have to first buy GMS and then pay more for iOS/Android etc.?

Honestly GMS (and GMHTML5) shouldn't even be a separate product, it should just be included in all 8.x updates and then you can choose to purchase iOS/Android/HTML5 exports at any time. You guys make it so much more complicated than necessary. I'm guessing you guys do this to get more money off of us.

#29 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8288 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:18 PM

Honestly GMS (and GMHTML5) shouldn't even be a separate product, it should just be included in all 8.x updates and then you can choose to purchase iOS/Android/HTML5 exports at any time. You guys make it so much more complicated than necessary. I'm guessing you guys do this to get more money off of us.

Had GMS included Windows, iOS, Mac, Android, Symbian (and other future exports) then you'd be complaining about having to pay for modules that you don't use.

It's obvious that GM and YYGs isn't a good fit for you, you should probably find another game development package. YYGs doesn't need your money that badly and you'd be much happier.

#30 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3137 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:28 PM

Had GMS included Windows, iOS, Mac, Android, Symbian (and other future exports) then you'd be complaining about having to pay for modules that you don't use.

It's obvious that GM and YYGs isn't a good fit for you, you should probably find another game development package. YYGs doesn't need your money that badly and you'd be much happier.

That doesn't make any sense. You should pay for the exports YOU want. Are you saying GMS forces you to buy them all at once? I'm not going to pay for a platform that I do not wish to use (or can't even use.) It's called 'convenience' for their customers and it really helps sales if YoYoGames ever hopes to break a profit!

Nah, it's YYGs that isn't a good fit and judging from previous sales records of YoYoGames (from 2009, latest I could come up with) they DO need my money.

I'm not the only one who thinks this by the way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users