• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 deathnotedo

deathnotedo

GMC Member

• 238 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:47 AM

Ok im curious to know, do i need a licence to sell games? For instance, if i where to make a game with something like game maker, or c++, What age would i have to be to sell it, Would i need any kind of licence, Do i need to give anyone else some of the profit? And im talking about completely my own games, not a single piece of work from anyone else, so my own music, graphics, programming etc?
Thanks

-Deathnotedo (/Shock)

#2 Bcm27

Bcm27

GMC Member

• 333 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:15 AM

Sharing the profit all depends on how you chose to distribute your game. If you chose to go through APPLES app store, it costs to just have it up on the list.

#3 deathnotedo

deathnotedo

GMC Member

• 238 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:19 AM

Hmm, lets say i had it on my own site, i wouldn't need any licence would i?

-Deathnotedo

#4 Afi

Afi

GMC Member

• 215 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:48 AM

Lucky for you. Gm has a contract which leaves you with a licence for your game to your hand. So no matter how you sell it, as long as everything in it is yours. You can keep the profit for yourself.

#5 deathnotedo

deathnotedo

GMC Member

• 238 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:39 AM

Ahaha, that's pretty sweet, anyone know if there's a actual age limit? or could i set up a pay pal account and start selling of my own website? :D

-Deathnotedo

#6 Bcm27

Bcm27

GMC Member

• 333 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:33 AM

There are things required for paypal, IE credit card and a bank account, and I am not %100 percent sure, but I am almost sure that there is a age limit. (no minors)

#7 deathnotedo

deathnotedo

GMC Member

• 238 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:18 AM

Oh cool, yeah paypal you have to be 18 in uk, and 16 in america, stupid if you ask me, im only 16 :/

-Deathnotedo

#8 Bcm27

Bcm27

GMC Member

• 333 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:46 AM

Oh cool, yeah paypal you have to be 18 in uk, and 16 in america, stupid if you ask me, im only 16 :/

-Deathnotedo

Im guessing your in the UK then? :D Well, you can always get the paypal account through your parents/guardian.

#9 deathnotedo

deathnotedo

GMC Member

• 238 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:46 PM

Haha yeah, but my parents are stingy xD

-Deathnotedo

#10 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9416 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:12 AM

Haha yeah, but my parents are stingy xD

Your parents refuse to let you make money because they are stingy?

#11 tempori

tempori

Designer

• GMC Member
  • 1925 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

I don't think there are any laws anywhere that say you have to be a certain age to sale something you crafted. As long as you have the means to accept, transfer and store payments obviously.

#12 dereklarue

dereklarue

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 90 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:18 AM

Even though there is no real age limit to make and sell your games, your going to have to deal with some major "adult" (more or less) things such as payment systems, game issues, as well as upset customers for seemingly no apparent reason (can't forget spam!).
A good idea is to look into some online digital delivery services. BMT Micro seems like an alright choice for some.
Make a website for your game. You can make it with some free site like blogger or w/e but for best results you should buy a domain. After you site is up and running you should look into placing ads for even more income! Another thing you want to do is advertise your game around the web.

In conclusion...
There is no age limit to making a game but the world is not always as kind as people think, so being more mature is a good idea.
How much you spend depends on what services you use to get your game out of the shadows and into the real world. Your going to need money to make money (though not always true, but for most of us it is).

I wish you the best for your game,

-dereklarue

Edited by dereklarue, 05 March 2012 - 05:23 AM.

#13 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9416 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:04 AM

I don't think there are any laws anywhere that say you have to be a certain age to sale something you crafted. As long as you have the means to accept, transfer and store payments obviously.

But there are age limits on payment methods available for internet purchases. Usually these age limits require that the receiving person be old enough to sign a legally binding document (varies from country to country), which I think is fair enough. However, there are plenty of people who have sold GM games on floppies/CDs at their school, etc.

#14 Bcm27

Bcm27

GMC Member

• 333 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

But there are age limits on payment methods available for internet purchases. Usually these age limits require that the receiving person be old enough to sign a legally binding document (varies from country to country), which I think is fair enough. However, there are plenty of people who have sold GM games on floppies/CDs at their school, etc.

Correct, I think he gets the idea now.

#15 ki113r

ki113r

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

Wouldn't you still need need to be declared a business after you make so much money??? Even if you do make money personally, that income has to be reported on your taxes as well!

#16 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9416 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:11 PM

Wouldn't you still need need to be declared a business after you make so much money??? Even if you do make money personally, that income has to be reported on your taxes as well!

Usually* it's not necessary to register as a company, you are classed as a sole proprietor and just need to declare the income on your tax return.

*in my country, likely to be similar elsewhere

#17 ki113r

ki113r

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:35 AM

Well I plan on making an S corporation out of my little project! But Its a must for me, because I plan on having more people involved, artists, musicians, etc.

#18 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9416 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:46 AM

Well I plan on making an S corporation out of my little project! But Its a must for me, because I plan on having more people involved, artists, musicians, etc.

Contractors are responsible for their own taxes, you don't need to be a registered company to use them.

I'd suggest you talk to a local accountant before you go spending money you don't need to.

#19 Bcm27

Bcm27

GMC Member

• 333 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:50 PM

Contractors are responsible for their own taxes, you don't need to be a registered company to use them.

I'd suggest you talk to a local accountant before you go spending money you don't need to.

Yes, it does cost a pretty penny to be officially registered as a company. I would do a few google searched and see what you come up with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users