Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:12 AM

Download:
https://www.dropbox....ndle [Demo].exe

Panoramas give the illusion and feel of a normal 3D game, and yet it's all pre-rendered.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Thanks for the input! :D
TKG

Edited by time-killer-games, 21 May 2012 - 12:05 AM.

#2 BattleRifle BR55

BattleRifle BR55

Let Live

• GMC Member
  • 9373 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:47 AM

I think it would.

I didn't like how small the resolution became, though. What was it, 640x480?

#3 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:53 AM

Yep, 640x480, however that can't be helped since the file size is already big enough and still growing because of the huge images. Do you care more about resolution or file size? I might change it anyway.

#4 Blake

Blake

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 508 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:12 AM

I have to say, if you're planning on going commercial, then you really need to consider coming up with a more appropriate name for the game. Before looking at the topic, I assumed "Samantha's Adventures" to be something made by someone trying out GM for the first time, probably some little maze game using the default GM sprites.

I don't wish to be critical, I just think the game's title goes a long way to attracting the right audience :thumbsup:

#5 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:59 AM

Actually I totally agree, the title isn't official yet anyway.

I'm kinda flip flopping between wanting to make this a horror game or something a little more casual as far as the story.

If horror turns out to be my genre of choice, I'll change the name of it to "the Bloodthirsty Witchdoctor" and the story would deal with a girl named Samantha, an early college student, who just moved out and away from her parents into a small house that is haunted, thanks to a demon possesed Witchdoctor who was the previous owner but mysteriously vanished. There would be some gore and guts, dark atmosphere in an underground tunnel, connected to a hidden basement.

Though I might not use that story because just thinking about it gives me the chills haha...

Does this idea sound good? Thanks.

#6 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:49 PM

Posted Image
A little drawing of the ghost/evil spirit I'm working on, probably gonna use it for the title screen when finished.

#7 Benxamix2

Benxamix2

GMC Member

• 278 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:23 PM

That is just awesome. Keep it up.

#8 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:35 PM

Hey thanks glad you like it! :)

#9 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:32 AM

*Legal bump*
The name is now official (after changing it twice).
& it now has the horror theme. :D

#10 sub

sub

EVIL GENIUS

• GMC Member
  • 1889 posts
  • Version:GM6

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:55 PM

can't see the screenshots?
pic looks great. well done.

#11 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

the images should show up now...

#12 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:32 PM

Legal bump. Could someone tell me if this game is actually effective (creepy)?

#13 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:36 PM

bump. more plays amyone?
play my game and ill play+rate yours upon request.

#14 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 454 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:38 PM

The filesize is huge... I don't care, so I'm downloading it, but maybe a short trailer or something would spur more downloads...

#15 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 454 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

Now that I've played the game, I have some critique. First off, I have no clue what to do. I found the two inventory items, so do I win?

The view in the rooms works well, only occasionally did I find myself disoriented because I went back to a hallway and found myself facing the room I came from.

The game isn't creepy right now, it's a good start, but nothing happens. I feel like I'm just stuck in a house by a storm by myself. I see no haunting. Maybe I didn't get far enough, but I didn't know what to do.

Also, make the escape button ask you if you want to leave the game. I tried using it to leave the inventory.

Anyways, good start! Not many people make point and click games with GM, so this was very interesting. I want to see a full version. :thumbsup:

#16 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:15 PM

*spoiler
did you try clicking on the clock? ;)

there is a "to be continued" at the end of the demo.

click on the inventory label to close it, which isnt that obvious thanks ill update that ASAP.

thanks for the feedback.

#17 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:23 AM

bump i removed the mini games since they added nothing really interesting to the game play.

i changed some other things added some stuff hear and there.

Edited by time-killer-games, 24 May 2012 - 11:24 AM.

#18 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:43 PM

bump. I got 12 plays on the newest version and still zero coments and suggestions on it here. Does the lighting look fine? I've got better screenshots... is that what everyone is looking for?

#19 max_r_61270

max_r_61270

GMC Member

• 411 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:17 PM

Posted Image
A little drawing of the ghost/evil spirit I'm working on, probably gonna use it for the title screen when finished.

Nice job. That looks gross and ugly. I can't play the game because I'm on a Mac. I assume that's what your problem is, most of the people who want to play your game aren't on PC computers

Edited by max_r_61270, 15 May 2012 - 10:18 PM.

#20 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:40 PM

^Perhaps. though I thought PC was far more common. thanks. I updated the demo. This is the demo's final release before the full version is to be sold. :D please note a lot of what is going on in the demo will not be all that clear until you get the full version when it comes out. (I'm hoping to finish it by July)

#21 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:47 PM

Bump. Here's a sneak preview of the game's sequel:
https://www.dropbox....s Candle II.avi
Edit: sorry about the frame rate, still haven't got the chance to buy better screen capture software...

Edited by time-killer-games, 26 May 2012 - 02:13 AM.

#22 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:26 PM

It's been roughly 48 hours. Bump.

Can someone give me some detailed feedback?
I'd really like to hear what you guys think, whether it's positive or negative. :) The important thing is I get this project finished exactly how you guys would like to see it finished. :)

#23 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 454 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:19 PM

This is pretty cool. Near the end, you obtained the creepy atmosphere that you wanted and things started to get interesting... And then it ended. It has a pretty cool premise, and I like the gameplay OK, but the focus is atmosphere, and it's doing better. If the game continues to escalate as it was at the end, then it will be genuinely creepy and perhaps somewhat scary... I hope that wasn't the end of the entire game. The first 3/4ths of the game are kind of slow... The only problems I had with atmosphere were the message boxes you used (they didn't seem to fit the rest of the game) and the fact that nothing much happened for most of the game. I've still got my eye on this, it's interesting.

#24 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

Thanks! I really do apreciate it. :D Those message boxes are gonna go anyway because they aren't compatable with studio. I'm in the process of making an alternative. Did the story make sence for the most part? what was your impression of what was going on? What do you mean by nothing happens for most of the game? I'll need to know that to know what to add/fix.

Nah, this isn't the whole game, most of what will be in the full version is trying to escape hell, but coming to a close at some point because escaping hell is an undo-able task. There will be more items to find in the beginning, instead of there being checkmarks in the spellbook, etc.

#25 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 454 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:35 PM

Well, what I got from the story was:
Spoiler

The game took a good bit of time to set up this plot and as soon as I got into hell it ended. Right now the game starts a bit slow, but I think it will be fine so long as the rest of the game is added to it. I like the idea of helplessness that you are going to add to the game, hope it turns out well. I'm going to have to keep up with this. :turned:

Edited by speedchuck, 29 May 2012 - 11:35 PM.

#26 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:21 PM

Well, I was really hoping to get this project done speek chuck. But right now it isn't looking good. The project contains so many images that that gm takes ages to load and save the project. And every other time I save, which I'd like to be frequent, I have to keep a backup because GM corrupts the file in the middle of saving due to having an error message popup in the middle of saving, which dumps out of GM.

I think the prob is that gm can't handle but so many images. I woukd make the images external to fix this problem, but this game I intend to sell. If everyone can cheat by looking in the images folder, that would ruin it.

Long story short, is there a way to encrypt images so that they can't be viewed unless they are loaded from my game?
Thanks!

#27 vidokas

vidokas

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 293 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:08 AM

game have big potential
but.
try split files. because .exe its too big. and first time after i run it, i needed to force-restart pc. because its stuck.
inventory? where is that? cant find it.
f1- for help
nice music.
if game its so small resolution, maybe give players chance to change it to windowed mode?
<b>change cursors.</b>
its allmost all time hard to find route where u need to go

#28 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:33 PM

I will make the images external. Yeah I had several complaints about the file size.
I had a feeling the cursors would make things confusing. I will improve them - thanks!
As for inventory - never thought of that. I'll probably add icons at the top of the screen.

Thank you for the feedback! Highly apreciated. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users