#1 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 454 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

4 Pixel!
This is a game I challenged myself with making, a game that uses only 4 pixels (scaled up for your enjoyment)!
In the game, you control the red pixel and dodge the black pixel! Hurray!
Runs at a smooth 60 fps. Try to get a high score!

Arrow Keys to move.

Download from box.net

The game in flash version!
Created by Broxter, this version has online high scores!

Screenshots:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Try it out!

Edited by speedchuck, 08 April 2012 - 01:15 AM.

#2 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:34 PM

Stunning graphics, amazing gameplay, beautiful touching storyline.
Five stars.

#3 AlexTM

AlexTM

GMC Member?

• GMC:Member
  • 1437 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:13 PM

Herp

Edited by AlexTM, 17 March 2013 - 11:16 PM.

#4 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:06 AM

Explain why this is awful. Just saying something like that and not saying anything constructive is tent amount to flaming. Non constructive criticism is just venom.

#5 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:03 AM

Explain why this is awful. Just saying something like that and not saying anything constructive is tent amount to flaming. Non constructive criticism is just venom.

Sure, he can explain right after you explain how you found the story beautiful and touching. :turned: Maybe share a quote from the story that you found particularly moving?

(game doesn't appeal to me, sorry speedchuck! Kudos on making something you wanted to make, though, keep rocking!)

Edited by Desert Dog, 19 February 2012 - 02:04 AM.

#6 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:07 AM

Sure, he can explain right after you explain how you found the story beautiful and touching. :turned: Maybe share a quote from the story that you found particularly moving?

I was joking. A!ex was just being mean. IMHO 'awful' is just untrue, sure it's more of a minigame, but it works. He challenged himself with a ridiculous handicap to make something and succeeded.

#7 AlexTM

AlexTM

GMC Member?

• 1437 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:17 AM

A!ex was just being mean.

No I wasn't. I was trying to tell the OP how the game is.
If it makes you feel any better, I'll put this instead:

The game was not so great.

#8 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:18 AM

You obviously have no idea how to critique anything. I have nothing more to say except point out that you're not making any sort of constructive criticism, and are just being mean.

Edited by makerofthegames, 19 February 2012 - 02:18 AM.

#9 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:22 AM

I was joking. A!ex was just being mean. IMHO 'awful' is just untrue, sure it's more of a minigame, but it works. He challenged himself with a ridiculous handicap to make something and succeeded.

Sorry, but people say mean(well, negative) stuff. There isn't anything wrong with that. A!ex didn't say anything untrue. He found the game awful.

There was nothing particularly venomous, or inflammatory about the statement. You could argue that he could/should elaborate, but for a game of this simple nature, elaborating isn't necessary. Don't you agree? The game creator (and you&I) know what he's talking about. The game creator tried out a concept, and one of his players didn't like it. Another potential player (me) was turned off by the concept.

It's feedback. All feedback is good, it just sometimes sounds bad, that's all. Uuusually non-elaborated statements like "it's awful", I agree, are comments of poor taste, but as I said, it covers the bases for a project like this.

One could argue that his comment was more useful than your initial post, which in your words, was 'just joking'. :teehee:

#10 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:28 AM

Sorry, but people say mean(well, negative) stuff. There isn't anything wrong with that. A!ex didn't say anything untrue. He found the game awful.

You're assuming things that weren't stated. He didn't 'find' the game awful, that isn't his opinion. He says: The game is awful, here are my no solutions to making the game better, goodbye I am so helpful. (paraphrased from things not stated thus making me the least hypocritical poster ever)

Plus, his response further proves my point of his lack of ability to form coherent constructive criticism.

No I wasn't. I was trying to tell the OP how the game is.

See? It's not an opinion. It's a fact!

Edited by makerofthegames, 19 February 2012 - 02:29 AM.

#11 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:36 AM

Plus, his response further proves my point of his lack of ability to form coherent constructive criticism.

Oh, is that a fact? :mellow:

Ever way, that doesn't matter. We have to accept people have various different abilities. If you believe he lacks abilities to give 'coherent constructive criticism', then that's o.k. He did what he could.

There isn't anything 'mean' about not having the ability to give constructive criticism. And nothing inflammatory about it, either. Or am I wrong again? :confused:

#12 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:48 AM

Or am I wrong again? :confused:

Yes, you are. I sincerely believe he has the ability to not give bad unhelpful criticism, even if he doesn't know how to give good helpful criticism. He could have done several things instead.

Examples:
#1: Walked a dog.
#2: Ate icecream.
#3: Given a terrible review to When Earth Needs a Hero.

These are all good examples.

#13 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 454 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:56 AM

I wanted to create something that functioned with a size of 2x2, not start a flame war. I don't appreciate the topic becoming such, as I just was challengin myself. I suppose I would like to know why people blatantly dislike the game, but if they don't want to say then that's fine. I find the game fully-functional and challenging, although it has no depth. If you don't like that, then fine. If you do, fine. I don't want blatant dislike, derailed topics, or flame wars. I want people to see that this was done, give feedback if necessary, and move on. It was just a short challenge. Take it easy!

#14 AlexTM

AlexTM

GMC Member?

• 1437 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:57 AM

Right it doesn't matter now. Stop making a big deal out of it.

#15 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:01 AM

I sincerely believe he has the ability to not give bad unhelpful criticism,

Ah, so you believe his comment is 'bad' and 'unhelpful' criticism.

Bit of a difference from him just being mean, and inflammatory! Bit of a difference from a venemous comment, wot!

I don't particularly understand your attitude. You want constructive criticism, but you believe he can't give it.
You seem to think he shouldn't give what you believe is bad and unhelpful criticism.

In essence, your saying you do NOT want A!ex to comment. Is that correct? Or am I wrong.. yet again!? :rolleyes:

Well, I think his comment has a place. It's negative, and probably causes the game creator to wince a bit (I always do!) but it's something that you need to know. Whether people enjoy, whether people appreciate, whether people 'get' your game.

[edit]

I don't want blatant dislike, derailed topics, or flame wars.

I apologise very much. I was merely curious why makerofthegame was labelling A!ex's comments as 'venemous'. Certainly a strong word indeed. And I let it get out of hand. Feel free to report my comments to be cleaned up.

Edited by Desert Dog, 19 February 2012 - 03:04 AM.

#16 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 454 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:14 AM

Quite alright! In any case, I got more posts on this game than I thought I would. :thumbsup: I made a 2x2 game!

#17 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:26 AM

I don't particularly understand your attitude. You want constructive criticism, but you believe he can't give it.
You seem to think he shouldn't give what you believe is bad and unhelpful criticism.

In essence, your saying you do NOT want A!ex to comment. Is that correct? Or am I wrong.. yet again!? :rolleyes:

By asking me if I'm saying that I don't want A!ex to comment implies that you think A!ex could comment while walking a dog, eating icecream, or already commenting on another game. That's asinine. Of course my post meant that I don't think he should've posted.

P.S.
I'm taken aback how nobody noticed I was trolling.

Quite alright! In any case, I got more posts on this game than I thought I would. :thumbsup: I made a 2x2 game!

Yes, well. You did. Congratulations. I'm going to actually play it again now.
EDIT: I got over 600 points!

Edited by makerofthegames, 19 February 2012 - 03:31 AM.

#18 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:31 AM

I gave it a go. Now I know what that pink square is!! It was killing me wonder why 1 square was pink. :P

The game is actually pretty fun. Has a nice frantic pace to it. I was afraid it'd look a little something like this game which is too small for me!

Scored 325 or something like that.

Biggest con with the game is the 2 mb download. You download 2 mb, and get 4 pixels, that's just wrong! :P
Would suit html5 (and would at least have a small file size!)

#19 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 454 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:49 AM

@desert dog
Thanks for the feedback! Glad you got some enjoyment out of it! I would lower the filesize, but it just isn't the same without music. Besides, is 2mb really that much?

#20 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:28 AM

Wait.. it has music!?

*tries again*

Haha, o.k. :P got 640 this time.

Nah, most of that 2 mb is the GM runner. Your sounds will be.. about .3 mb, and your code about 1 kb. :P

#21 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21950 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:04 PM

Five stars.

Your post was far more of a troll than the comment by A!ex... It reads as really sarcastic and if you read it and compare it to the OP and the screanshots then it is obviously not true. So to criticise A!ex for RESPONDING to your original troll is really unfair. He may not even have posted had you not added in that oviously untrue comment. So please, look at yourself under the microscope before deciding to analyse others... Posted Image

Now, Speedchuck, I love the game! As a quick, reaction based mini game the concept is sound and the execution is flawless. You should really add an intro screen with a start button and a highscore view button, and add ON LINE highscores as this is just the sort of game that benefits from them. Yes, it's simple, but it couldn't be anything else given the restrictions you have imposed upon yourself, so I think you deserve some respect for having made an actual, playable game with only 4 pixels.

#22 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2254 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:10 PM

I got 120! :D How anyone could get a score over 600 in this game is beyond my comprehension.
Great sound FX and music! Everything is so perfect sound-wise and visually! Great job! Really! :medieval:

But just you wait until I make a 1 pixel game!

Edited by orange08, 19 February 2012 - 06:11 PM.

#23 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:17 PM

Five stars.

Your post was far more of a troll than the comment by A!ex... It reads as really sarcastic and if you read it and compare it to the OP and the screanshots then it is obviously not true. So to criticise A!ex for RESPONDING to your original troll is really unfair. He may not even have posted had you not added in that oviously untrue comment. So please, look at yourself under the microscope before deciding to analyse others... Posted Image

I can see two ways for me to respond to this, but they're both good, so pick your poison.

Non argumentative.
Spoiler

Argumentative.
Spoiler

EDIT: I only got 485 that time. :sad:

Edited by makerofthegames, 19 February 2012 - 07:48 PM.

#24 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 454 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:56 PM

Now, Speedchuck, I love the game! As a quick, reaction based mini game the concept is sound and the execution is flawless. You should really add an intro screen with a start button and a highscore view button, and add ON LINE highscores as this is just the sort of game that benefits from them. Yes, it's simple, but it couldn't be anything else given the restrictions you have imposed upon yourself, so I think you deserve some respect for having made an actual, playable game with only 4 pixels.

I'd like online high scores, but I've never done them. Could you point me to a tutorial? Also, how would I make a menu screen with 4 pixels? :D

#25 AlexTM

AlexTM

GMC Member?

• 1437 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:32 PM

I'd like online high scores, but I've never done them. Could you point me to a tutorial? Also, how would I make a menu screen with 4 pixels? :D

Perhaps a magnifying glass that produces more pixels when the mouse goes over a pixel :yes:

#26 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2254 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:47 AM

I'm pretty sure Mark was being sarcastic there... :thumbsup:

#27 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:01 AM

Fooled me. I agree with what he said, I can't tell sarcasm apparently-are you even sure?

Edited by makerofthegames, 20 February 2012 - 03:02 AM.

#28 AlexTM

AlexTM

GMC Member?

• 1437 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:08 AM

lololol

#29 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21950 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:56 AM

Lol! I presumed you'd understand that I meant a larger room with just "Play", "Scores" and "Quit" as buttons maybe...

#30 greep

greep

Menaces with Spikes

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:35 AM

Guh.. best score is 365 :/ Guess I'm a slowpoke.

Only criticism: I think the starting time should be much lower, like 100 or so. Since it takes two turns to die for the unwary, I don't think it's a big deal.

Edit: Also totally make it online. People will compete for the lulz.
edit: :o 415. You get a lot better with practice :_)

EditL: Okay final edit. You realise you can distill this game into a single pixel right? Because when the black pixel moves you only have a single correct move. So... why not just have four colors, corresponding to arrow movements, and make you lose if you haven't pressed the right key in time? Admittedly less intuitive.. but you've recreated the game in it's "purest" one pixel form.

Edited by greep, 20 February 2012 - 10:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users