Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:43 PM
How about making a game that doesn't make sense? The most hardcore Platform Hell games are basically "toss random ideas stolen from other games and made 1000 times more difficult at the player".
Take some twist and twist it even more. How about this?
- The bad guy is the blonde, pink-dress princess that tries to kill the player.
- In fact, the princess is running a Gameshow where the people that survives all the challenges get to choose between "one ton of money" and marrying her.
- So far, nobody has survived.
- There is a general sidekick guy with sunglasses showing up every now and then with a cool one-liner. Sometimes he shows up with a big close-up portrait (and an even bigger speech bubble) covering the most of the screen at difficult parts of the level.
- Common enemies are typical gameshow-ish people such as cheerleaders [that throw their pompoms as projectiles; some pompoms might actually be colorful furballs with big teeth that can eat you whole, others might be nuclear bombs that destroys 25% of the screen with a big explosion, and so on], camera men [that fire laser beams from their cameras?], bodyguard-style guys in tuxedos and sunglasses that just push you backwards until you fall down in a pit or get pushed into a spiky wall or something
Nice idea, huh?
Finally, when you get to choose between the princess and the money; if you choose "one ton of money" by walking to the right and into that room, you'll get one ton of coins dropped at you, killing you. If you choose the princess, you'll get the final boss battle. The princess should wield some very non-princessy weapons, such as Sepiroth's Masamune sword and a bazooka. I dunno how you want the ending to be, but one idea is that when you empty her lifebar completely, she'll collapse on the floor, say something like "I do." and then explode. And then some text like "YOU ARE SURVIVE THE GAMESHOW!" appears on the screen. Or maybe you want a cheesy Las Vegas style wedding ceremony with a Elvis imitator instead of a priest... hey, that could be a really good Bonus Level; every single thing in the wedding ceremony will try to kill you, and you gotta waltz around exploding cakes, guests hurling sawblade-sharp plates and exploding teacups at you, jump over gigant wine glasses with sharks and acid in them, and finally on the stage with the Elvis priest, lamps and stuff will fall down from the ceiling and try to crush you while you have to stay near enough to the princess. When you go out of the church, you have to avoid the rice the people hurl because if it sticks to you, a big bird will swoop down and eat you... the stage could practically go on forever. You might want to squeeze a happy ending in somewhere, though. Like when the limo arrives at the castle (though it could be fun with avoiding collapsing marble statues and stuff), and definitely before the couple arrives at the bed. It could be a fun "the final time where you can die" if the princess would hurl pillow-monsters with teeth at you at this very time, though, just as you start to let down your guard.