9 replies to this topic

#1 Lotias

Lotias

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1160 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:34 AM

Should GMC have its own chatbox for users? It would allow for faster discussions.
...There isn't much more to say other than "I think there should be one."

#2 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:34 AM

Well, you could argue why you think there should be one, right now there's not much reason to go on.

#3 creativebunch

creativebunch

The Bunchiest

• GMC Member
  • 893 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:21 AM

Isn't the gmc irc good enough?

#4 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21329 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:36 AM

Should GMC have its own chatbox for users? It would allow for faster discussions.
...There isn't much more to say other than "I think there should be one."

If that is an example of how you plan to discuss things on the proposed chat then we can safely assume that it's not going to happen...

Anyway, this pops up every now and again we always say the same thing. Sorry, but NO. If you want to chat goto the IRC as mentioned above. It can be a bit "mature" but the people that go there are a great bunch and most of them will be happy to discuss things with you. As long as you actually discuss, of course... Posted Image

#5 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:32 AM

This is a very large forum. A chat box would add immense pressure to the servers, and open the way to spam bots.

I'm not saying I wouldn't like one, but I doubt there's any chance it's going to happen.

#6 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3834 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:45 AM

The main reaon for this - and why we can't make an irc channel official, is that it's uncontrollable: it's next to impossible to handle live-text, you'd need a 24/7 coverage of ACTIVE moderating.

#7 @Alex@

@Alex@

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4144 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:29 PM

This pops a lot, could you not have viewed the previous topics. THe amount of work needed in handling a community the size of this is huge. Use the unoffical GMC iRC if you need to try and discuss GML or GameMaker in real time but I honestly don't know how active that channel is. I do know it is quite popular around the time of jams.

#8 Lotias

Lotias

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1160 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:38 PM

Shot down eight times in a row :smile:
I see that there is an unofficial chat, but was more asking about an official one. There are several hosters out there, and would not put strain on GMC's servers much at all; it could just be a link that leads off-site to the box.

I can imagine how difficult moderating a chat could be. A lot of websites have the same problem. If it were a single box, any moderator being there at all times (not always the same moderator!) would be less difficult to achieve.

I have not heard of the IRC chat before; where would I find it?

#9 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21329 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:44 PM

Here is their topic...

http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=507698

Tell them I sent you... Posted Image

#10 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7189 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:18 AM

If it were a single box, any moderator being there at all times (not always the same moderator!) would be less difficult to achieve.

If you want "moderated discussion" use the GMC. But who the hell wants a moderated chatroom?

Chatrooms are fun because they are NOT heavily moderated. So let's leave well enough alone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users