106 replies to this topic

#51 GS-games

GS-games

Creative

• GMC Member
  • 356 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

Im very interested in the Box2D Physics. Is that like the physics in angry birds?

Hi there!

I would like to know more people within the game development industry.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/GabrielSandsted

Website (under development) gsgames.net: http://gsgames.net/ 

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/gsgames.net 

tx5PmL9.png

#52 BlaXun

BlaXun

Slime Online Creator

• GMC Member
  • 2749 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:39 PM

I am not excited bout the multi-platform support (which is cool though) but its stuff such as source control (SVN) that really helps development. Finally real team-development on a single project. Will be worth every /$

iBNKRoX.png

#53 scurvycapn

scurvycapn

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 187 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:11 PM

Im very interested in the Box2D Physics. Is that like the physics in angry birds?

Yes. Box2d is the physics engine that was used in Angry Birds.

#54 NicroGames

NicroGames

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 300 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:14 PM

Yes. Box2d is the physics engine that was used in Angry Birds.

I saw that too. I'm even more excited now!

#55 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:19 PM

Does html5 get the box2d physics?
HTML5 games for mobile:
HexDogs Bugz Burn! Captain George Golfing Block Memory

Games for Androids
*NEW* Word Dog - Published by Dangerous_Dave

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.
Use the quicksort to sort ds_lists 10-18 times faster than ds_list_sort()!

#56 NicroGames

NicroGames

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 300 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:37 PM

Does html5 get the box2d physics?

Good question... Probably not, but I may be wrong. I would like to see something official here.

#57 rwkay

rwkay

YoYo Games CTO

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2720 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:09 PM

HTML5 does indeed have box2D

Russell

#58 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:14 PM

Russell

YES! :biggrin: :biggrin:

... wait a minute. I've got GM-html5! I want box2D Now! No fair, making me wait! :sad:
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.

#59 scurvycapn

scurvycapn

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 187 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:43 PM

Russell

If I may ask, how in depth is the Box2d integration? Are we able to draw our own convex polygons for our objects or are we limited to rectangular/circle primitives? Are joints supported? Thanks.

#60 rwkay

rwkay

YoYo Games CTO

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2720 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:46 PM

box2D is closely integrated, in the GUI you can add physics properties to objects and rooms, you will be able to add vertex shapes to sprites in the GUI, though you can use rectangles and circles as well.

Through GML code you can do all of the above as well and you can handle joints and motors.

Russell

#61 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7974 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:36 PM

box2D is closely integrated, in the GUI you can add physics properties to objects and rooms, you will be able to add vertex shapes to sprites in the GUI, though you can use rectangles and circles as well.

Through GML code you can do all of the above as well and you can handle joints and motors.

This is very exciting. :smile: Really a breakthrough for GM.

Question: is the GML code "native box2D" syntax? Or are you creating GML functions to implement it? Either way's fine... just curious how you're doing it.

#62 rwkay

rwkay

YoYo Games CTO

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2720 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:32 AM

We have GML functions that implement the box2D so it is the same on all platforms - on the native targets we could not expose box2D directly (since it is in C++) - but we expose most (if not all, only exception just now is some experimental new features in box2D that are not 100% functional).

Russell

#63 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7974 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

Question: is the GML code "native box2D" syntax? Or are you creating GML functions to implement it?

We have GML functions that implement the box2D so it is the same on all platforms - on the native targets we could not expose box2D directly (since it is in C++)

Ah, yes. That makes sense.

And frankly, GML functions will seem more familiar to existing GM users. So I like that approach.

#64 icymx

icymx

Patrick Brett

• GMC Member
  • 800 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:58 PM

Question: is the GML code "native box2D" syntax? Or are you creating GML functions to implement it?

We have GML functions that implement the box2D so it is the same on all platforms - on the native targets we could not expose box2D directly (since it is in C++)

Ah, yes. That makes sense.

And frankly, GML functions will seem more familiar to existing GM users. So I like that approach.

What? No sarcasm?! When I saw that you were the last poster, I clicked it just to read your witticisms but I was disappointed :(
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature,
nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits
in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.

- Helen Keller

#65 =(:5/7A!I:)=

=(:5/7A!I:)=

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:01 AM

Wooo...

Woooo...

Woooo....

;D

Wait, what is the topic about? Sorry

it said... IS ANYONE EXCITED?

AND I.. answered real quick. But forgot to read the topic. Ahem, excuse me.

#66 needsfoodbadly

needsfoodbadly

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 110 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:27 AM

I am excited for the things I'll be able to release myself, but not excited for the problems that may be caused by the wrong people using it.

I can see it all now, tons of Android and Mac games made in GM by people who don't have those devices being uploaded and breaking instantly causing utter havoc.

I guess that's because I don't own an iPhone and play most games on my computer anyway...

probably, but there is currently a much better market in smartphones than there is on PC.

With or without Game Maker Studio there are already a bejillion crappy, barely working, not working at all or not even worth the download games available for Android and IOS.

#67 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7974 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

I can see it all now, tons of Android and Mac games made in GM by people who don't have those devices being uploaded and breaking instantly causing utter havoc.

With or without Game Maker Studio there are already a bejillion crappy, barely working, not working at all or not even worth the download games available for Android and IOS.

Good point, NFB. +1

But at least now, I'll have my chance to make "crappy, barely working, or not working at all" games... too. :tongue:

#68 slam drago

slam drago

The slam drag

• 422 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

Not excited at all.

I mean, it will be helpful to some people. But the vast majority of people won't be able to buy it (most likely, I really don't know what the price will be, but seeing as GM:HTML5 is pricey me thinks studio will be to).
My newest website. Check it out!
I support Cryset Games. Make money playing and making games!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
My avatar is best viewed in the lighter GMC theme.

#69 atower79

atower79

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

I really don't know why people think a couple hundred dollars is so expensive. Professional tools are usually very very expensive. The Adobe Master Collection is $2500, 3D Studio Max for 3d artists is $3500, and licensing a major game engine is in the 10s of thousands of dollars. I think for what we're getting it's a pretty good price. I mean even that 14yr old kid that used "that other program" to make Bubble Ball was able to afford the price.

#70 slam drago

slam drago

The slam drag

• 422 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

I really don't know why people think a couple hundred dollars is so expensive. Professional tools are usually very very expensive. The Adobe Master Collection is $2500, 3D Studio Max for 3d artists is $3500, and licensing a major game engine is in the 10s of thousands of dollars. I think for what we're getting it's a pretty good price. I mean even that 14yr old kid that used "that other program" to make Bubble Ball was able to afford the price.

For a program that caters to the teenager and hobbyist/indie game makers, a couple hundred is expensive.
My newest website. Check it out!
I support Cryset Games. Make money playing and making games!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
My avatar is best viewed in the lighter GMC theme.

#71 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7974 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:33 PM

I really don't know why people think a couple hundred dollars is so expensive....

For a program that caters to the teenager and hobbyist/indie game makers, a couple hundred is expensive.

"Teenagers and hobbyists" aren't a monolithic group. Some drive their own cars, while others can barely afford bus fare. And whether an item is "too expensive" depends largely on how much you want it.

Either way, let's wait until we know the price before we argue whether it's too expensive.

#72 The Legend

The Legend

Unashamed

• GMC Member
  • 1132 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:42 PM

I'm incredibly excited!!!! Especially after that contest thing on facebook! Really want one of the winners to post videos of it!!!!!

#73 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8471 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:24 PM

Really want one of the winners to post videos of it!!!!!

Here's a video demonstrating Studio:
  • C++ Runner
  • HTML5 on desktop
  • HTML5 on iPad
  • HTML5 on Blackberry Playbook
  • Android Runner on Samsung Galaxy Tab

Please excuse the unfinished graphics and jerky filming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f1xsGLPSpQ

keep_crap_150_zpsd7af69c5.png

#74 Rusty

Rusty

The Rustic One

• GMC Member
  • 3769 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:31 PM

That's why the lite version is free.

tumblr_ngbm3tNUVy1thlk7do1_75sq.png

Professor Rusty says: "Check out the Project Jin Engine Test for Jan 2015 on it's GMC Topic!!"

#75 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

Personally, if GM had more of a price I'd find that to be a good thing. There are far too many games made with game maker that arent worth a crap, because they are made by freaking 12-14 year olds... If that doesn't scream unprofessional I don't know what does... If game maker had the price it was worth then virtually all 14 year olds, ages below, and hobbyists wouldn't be able to afford it at all. I'm very excited about studio since it will be put to good use, unlike the majority. Not to sound arrogant or anything but me and a few 100 other people in this community have the potential to sell proffesional games. Though the community is in the thousands....

I just wish we all (including me) worked to our full potential, so there wouldnt be any games published that give GM a bad reputation.
Spoiler

#76 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

Personally, if GM had more of a price I'd find that to be a good thing. There are far too many games made with game maker that arent worth a crap, because they are made by freaking 12-14 year olds... If that doesn't scream unprofessional I don't know what does... If game maker had the price it was worth then virtually all 14 year olds, ages below, and hobbyists wouldn't be able to afford it at all. I'm very excited about studio since it will be put to good use, unlike the majority. Not to sound arrogant or anything but me and a few 100 other people in this community have the potential to sell proffesional games. Though the community is in the thousands....

I just wish we all (including me) worked to our full potential, so there wouldnt be any games published that give GM a bad reputation.

Personally, I'm sick&tired of freaking 12-14 yr olds making cooler games than me. Something is unbalanced in the universe...
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

#77 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2515 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:23 PM

Personally, I'm sick&tired of freaking 12-14 yr olds making cooler games than me. Something is unbalanced in the universe...

Oh you think that's bad Desert, I make great solid RPGs and they barely get noticed. The moment I released a Zelda fangame, I got alot of people viewing and commenting on the game.

It's like the universe is run by Boris Johnson

If I have provided feedback on a game of yours, it would be epic if you do the same!
LND_Twitter_Icon.png Leon_Topic_Icon.png

Leon [PC]  | |Texture Page Calculator for GMStudio | Analog Sticks for GMStudio

#78 The Legend

The Legend

Unashamed

• GMC Member
  • 1132 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

Nice video. Thanks for answering my request!

#79 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8471 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

It's posts like this that give GM users a bad reputation.

#80 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:49 PM

I need to think before I post -__-'
Spoiler

#81 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7974 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:06 AM

Not to sound arrogant or anything but me and a few 100 other people in this community have the potential to sell proffesional games.

You don't sound arrogant. You sound "proffesional".

#82 Rusty

Rusty

The Rustic One

• GMC Member
  • 3769 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

You realise that Game Maker is meant to be a learning tool for young developers trying to get some experience in game development... right? It's not meant to be a professional development tool, I doubt that Bethesda or Epic Games are going to turn around and start using it. It's good that we have a load of 12-14 year olds making "crap" games, it means they're trying, posting, and getting feedback on where they can improve themselves.

Also, "If game maker had the price it was worth", I don't see your point. You're saying that Game Maker should only be used as a professional tool but it's worthless. I know... I'll buy a Ford Focus. This is a car that must only be used in the Grand Prix but will fail rapidly every time. Please collect your opinion together before skull bashing the keyboard.

"Not to sound arrogant or anything but me and a few 100 other people in this community have the potential to sell proffesional games. Though the community is in the thousands...."

You joined in December, 2011. Not much more than 2 months ago. Yet you're already in the top 100 Game Developers on the GMC. I got to say, that's an achievement. Could you show me some of this awe inspiring work? I mean, surely you wouldn't be stupid enough to publicly announce yourself as the best, with no experience or proof you can actually work, right? I mean... surely you've got 100 fantastic games to show us that place you firmly in the top 100 developers out of the thousands here at the GMC right? I mean, if you go publicly mouthing off with nothing to back up your statements with, you'd just look dumb, wouldn't you?

I need to think before I post -__-'

Yes... yes you do.

Professor Rusty says: "Check out the Project Jin Engine Test for Jan 2015 on it's GMC Topic!!"

#83 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7974 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:13 PM

Also, "If game maker had the price it was worth", I don't see your point. You're saying that Game Maker should only be used as a professional tool but it's worthless.

No, he's saying just the opposite. He's saying GameMaker would be much more expensive if its price was equal to its value. And I agree.

#84 Rusty

Rusty

The Rustic One

• GMC Member
  • 3769 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:17 PM

Also, "If game maker had the price it was worth", I don't see your point. You're saying that Game Maker should only be used as a professional tool but it's worthless.

No, he's saying just the opposite. He's saying GameMaker would be much more expensive if its price was equal to its value. And I agree.

I'll admit to misreading that. In my defence however, I was incredibly bored with his post by the time I got to that line.

#85 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:26 PM

You joined in December, 2011. Not much more than 2 months ago. Yet you're already in the top 100 Game Developers on the GMC. I got to say, that's an achievement. Could you show me some of this awe inspiring work? I mean, surely you wouldn't be stupid enough to publicly announce yourself as the best, with no experience or proof you can actually work, right? I mean... surely you've got 100 fantastic games to show us that place you firmly in the top 100 developers out of the thousands here at the GMC right? I mean, if you go publicly mouthing off with nothing to back up your statements with, you'd just look dumb, wouldn't you?

No one cares when he joined. No one wants him to post some of his work here, so you can try trash them while pretending your bored.

Fwiw, even if he doesn't have any previous work, no one cares. If he's confident in his abilities, and considers himself capable of making a commercial game, then I don't have any reason to doubt him.

Btw, being capable of making commercial games, and being a 'top 100 game dev' are different things.
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

#86 Rusty

Rusty

The Rustic One

• GMC Member
  • 3769 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:04 PM

Blah blah... everything is fine if you just believe in yourself... blah blah... let the kids be free... blah...

Okay DD, we've had this argument before. If you want to push the new kids over the edge, then go wild but don't tell me I'm wrong because I'm saying it takes time and effort before you can declare yourself the best.

This veteran of two months, comes onto the GMC and says "only 100 people here will ever make it as Game Designers, and I'm one of them". I have two problems with this statement:
Problem A) What makes you any different from the 1,000's of people you just said couldn't make it? Do you have any previous work to back this up? Do you have anything to back this up?

Problem B) Under what right do you have to say that these guys who have been here, who have got past the D&D and Catch the Clown, who have put the time and effort in, the weeks, the months, the years into learning about programming and game design, won't make it as Game Designers?

If he doesn't have any previous work, then how exactly is he planning to sell his next piece? Because frankly... my first game was the Fruit Blast tutorial and I'd have to have godlike salesman skills to get cash out of that crap. Believing in yourself isn't enough in life... ever... you need experience before you can really call yourself anything. Telling him that you believe he can make sellable games with no visible proof is like me telling him that he can beat Mike Tyson at boxing, I don't even know if he can box.

The fact that I found the time to actually reply to your stupid argument DD should show how truly bored I am.

#87 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 23580 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:28 PM

Rusty! Down boy! Leave them alone and go play with a squeaky toy or something instead if you are that bored! Posted Image

This is not the place for this discussion, and you guys are veering dangerously off topic... so please, try to keep things civil and on-topic...

Button_DynamicPuddles_zps068ef8eb.png Button_Flappy_zps7fcff3b6.png Button_RogueLike_zps6f3451a3.png IKrQvWr.png Button_MyGames_zpse9e80bb0.png

#88 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:32 PM

Okay DD, we've had this argument before.

Ah, o.k. Sounds vaguely familiar.

The fact that I found the time to actually reply to your stupid argument DD should show how truly bored I am.

Read my post again. Avoid the stuff written in invisible ink, and just stick with what's visible.

I don't have any reason to doubt him. I don't have any reason to doubt him, because I don't have any reason to doubt him, because I don't have a reason to care.

There is nothing gained in acting all dramatic over his join date, or any of his previous works. If he wants to say that, then fine, let him say that, no one wants to screw this topic about talking about how Rusty doesn't believe what time-killer says.

For what it's worth, the 'cocky' act isn't anything particularly new.. Jforce games, for instance, burst into the Indie scene with a lot of big-mouthed talk.. mostly about how they didn't know a thing about making games, but they were gonna make the greatest indie game of all time anyway.
So many people wasted their breath smugly denouncing them, making fun of them, and perhaps surprisingly, getting angry at them. Granted, they haven't finished their 'greatest game' yet, but they have since released several commercial games, and made multiples of 10 thousands dollars. (Their stats are down, otherwise I could give you an exact number)

Acting cocky at the start simply got them a lot of rep, (although, a lot bad!) and followers.. perhaps just to see them fail.

Anyway, I don't really get your Tyson analogy. Believing is different from actually trying to refute. No one's asking you to believe him. Seems the only problem you have is with him believing it.

Edit: Speed beaten by the guy with the fastest Posts-per-minute on the forum. :sweat:

Edited by Desert Dog, 06 March 2012 - 10:35 PM.

HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

#89 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 23580 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:37 PM

Yeah, and Ill let you off with it too as you have a right to reply, but you guys want to continue, then use PMs please! Posted Image

Button_DynamicPuddles_zps068ef8eb.png Button_Flappy_zps7fcff3b6.png Button_RogueLike_zps6f3451a3.png IKrQvWr.png Button_MyGames_zpse9e80bb0.png

#90 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7974 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:47 PM

Mike and Russell are going to San Francisco... and all we get is this stinkin' topic. :dry:

#91 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

Yeah, and Ill let you off with it too as you have a right to reply, but you guys want to continue, then use PMs please! Posted Image

*makes mental note of my right to reply*

Well.. on topic. GM studio is going to really open up a 'commercial' door for younger dev's. Heck, look at Bubble Ball. Clicking on a clown on the pc may be boring, but not so on an iPhone!

Hmm, make them, bugs. yes, bugs. Have them crawl around on screen... you touch down, squash 'em, and crush as many as you can. (the guts can kinda clutter up the screen, and you have to use a sponge, or something, to wipe it clean)

Catch the clown level skills, niche market (deranged kids), popular platform (iPhone, Android) = Profit.

All because of GM Studio. :chikin
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

#92 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 23580 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:14 PM

Well.. on topic. GM studio is going to really open up a 'commercial' door for younger dev's. Heck, look at Bubble Ball. Clicking on a clown on the pc may be boring, but not so on an iPhone!

Hmm, make them, bugs. yes, bugs. Have them crawl around on screen... you touch down, squash 'em, and crush as many as you can. (the guts can kinda clutter up the screen, and you have to use a sponge, or something, to wipe it clean)

Catch the clown level skills, niche market (deranged kids), popular platform (iPhone, Android) = Profit.

Been done : https://play.google....ntsmasher&hl=en

Sorry to burst your bubble!

#93 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3208 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:07 AM

And with 10,000,000 - 50,000,000 downloads, it shows YYG missed a trick with CTC ;)

#94 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:09 AM

I guess that should be no surprise. :tongue:

at 10-50 million downloads, though, that's a pretty strong case for Catch the Clown!

edit: :turned:

Edited by Desert Dog, 07 March 2012 - 12:10 AM.

HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

#95 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8471 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:01 PM

You realise that Game Maker is meant to be a learning tool for young developers trying to get some experience in game development... right? It's not meant to be a professional development tool, I doubt that Bethesda or Epic Games are going to turn around and start using it.

[SNIP]

YYGs would disagree with you regarding what Game Maker is meant to be.

Now that doesn't mean that GameMaker, especially Lite and Standard, can't also be intended as a learning tool. But to say that GameMaker:Studio, which is what this topic is about, is meant to be a learning tool is wrong.

We have already said that Studio is NOT aimed at the current community, it's aimed at professional developers, and this pricing is not only fair, but remarkably cheap.

We're sorry if you can't buy GameMaker:Studio, but we do not expect most users on the GMC to upgrade to Studio, and we can't keep pricing things for a hobbyist market. Not only does this seriously undervalue GameMaker, but it also makes the more professional developer ignore the product completely. If this includes you, then you should use GM:Lite, or GM:Standard.

Put simply.... GameMaker:Studio is no longer a $15, or even a $40 value; a lot of work and effort has gone into making it a world class product, and while we'd love everyone to be able to use it, it's price must reflect it's value in order to be taken seriously.

With the module support however, you will be able to save up and then buy modules at a later date, meaning it's not out of reach of everyone.

I will say that while we have already added Physics and Source Control, we have some more amazing additions to come, some of which will make it seem like a "must have" for many current GM users, even if you just buy the base product.

#96 mazimadu

mazimadu

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 228 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:50 PM

Can we have a small hint to this drooling news Mike?

I think they're saving it all for GDC. 3 Weeks to go. :P

GDC is over. Must have been that they won an award.

Oh well, we can only dream.

#97 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 4456 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:10 PM

Oh no... there's more to come! :whistle:

#98 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2515 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

Oh no... there's more to come! :whistle:

*Foresees teasing*

Here we go again... :tongue:

If I have provided feedback on a game of yours, it would be epic if you do the same!
LND_Twitter_Icon.png Leon_Topic_Icon.png

Leon [PC]  | |Texture Page Calculator for GMStudio | Analog Sticks for GMStudio

#99 daman123125

daman123125

AZN Game Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1956 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:32 AM

GM has already aimed at 12-14 year olds and hobbyists by using the name "GameMaker" itself.
Studio further expands its boundaries by also catering to serious indie developers who want an easier albeit pricey method(but still very cheap compared to alternatives) into multiple markets.

I think it's nice that GM can cater to a broad audience. If GM wanted to jack up the price to prevent shovelware from hobbyists and teenagers they might as well remove the sandbox or even the name GameMaker.

Edited by daman123125, 13 March 2012 - 02:36 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Tuts/Examples: Ultimate Weapon Arsenal(AI included) | Wall-Jumping | Plasma Pistol/Rifle Overheating System | Cash Register Example | Two Objects In One View
PM me if one or more of my posted examples have a broken link.

#100 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8471 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:30 AM

GM has already aimed at 12-14 year olds and hobbyists by using the name "GameMaker" itself.

Is Adobe's PageMaker software aimed at kids as well?
What about Barcode Maker? I'm guessing not to many 12-14 year olds are making products that require scannable barcodes.
And MapMaker, only $495(US).
PatternMaker, the complete studio version $2,499.

Simply appending Maker to the end doesn't target software at kids.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users