• Version:GM:Studio

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

if (mikes_hinting==true) {

user_excitement+=9000

}
else {

user_disappointment+=9000

}

Edit: And just btw, if 'launch' does just mean show off, its kind of expected that people would get the wrong idea, since 'launch' generally means release date...

Man I'm confused now lol I'm just going to assume that I need to pick up the pace with my team

if (mikes_hinting==true) 
{

user_excitement+=9000

}
else 
{

}
if (mikes_hinting == true && rwkay_deconfirming == true)
{
tetiro_headache = true //Caused by trying to work out if the release date is genuine or not
tetiro_paracetamol = true //Caused by headache
}

#32 Tennx

Tennx

The Entrepreneur

• GMC Member
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:44 PM

I'm just taking my time to learn every aspect of the Standard Edition.

Truth is, the Studio Edition is being programmed focusing on serious developers who want to make profit, massively, so...

"Getting excited" is not in my mood now...

First: Learn to use the basic interface

Second: Learn about marketing / graphics / gaming theory

Third: Buy the tools

And last but no least: Sell

--- I guess there is a long way before getting excited (that is, when you got the money you won selling, in your hands).

#33 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9328 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:52 AM

I don't really see what the hype is to be honest... I guess that's because I don't own an iPhone and play most games on my computer anyway...

I think there are a lot of kids who think they can make an iPhone game and make lots of money, who don't realize the costs and terms of using the App Store, or how competitive it is.

Who said we're going to need the App Store? Ever hear of jailbreaking? It's still legal...for now :whistle: .

-IMP

#34 mechlore

mechlore

GMC Member

• 52 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:35 AM

Im mostly excited about the possible opportunity for MechLore to be released on different platforms relatively easily. Since the game might actually be finished before studio actually comes out.

Here is to hoping that it will be trivial matter to import from gm 8.1 to studio.

#35 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:45 AM

The lack of semi-colons in the code above is appalling :yucky:

#36 daman123125

daman123125

AZN Game Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1956 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:57 AM

if (mikes_hinting==true) 
{

user_excitement+=9000

}
else 
{

}
{
tetiro_headache = true //Caused by trying to work out if the release date is genuine or not
}

I believe that number needs to be at least 9001.

#37 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3167 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

Studio Beta coming in March! It is very exciting!

#38 GM Studios

GM Studios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 190 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:45 PM

Can't wait it's going to be a very exciting year indeed! I best pull my finger out! Things are moving fast...very fast.

I don't suppose Yoyo could record their presentation at GDC and upload it so we can all see it ;)

#39 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2493 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

if (mikes_hinting==true) 
{

user_excitement+=9000

}
else 
{

}
{
}

I believe that number needs to be at least 9001.

if (mikes_hinting==true) 
{

user_excitement+=9001

}
else 
{

user_disappointment+=9001

}
{
}

Hey Soul, do you have a source so we know it's coming out in march?

It will be exciting. Minus the paperwork and marketing/PR/advertising those who are dedicated have to do.

Speaking of which, I'm off to do more of the boring work lol

EDIT: Speaking of dates, does anyone know what months Q1 2012 spans? I'm actually curious but I can't find anything on it.

Edited by King Tetiro, 25 February 2012 - 01:04 PM.

#40 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21989 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:21 PM

EDIT: Speaking of dates, does anyone know what months Q1 2012 spans? I'm actually curious but I can't find anything on it.

The quarters are usually Jan, Feb, Mar >> Apr, May, Jun >> Jul, Aug, Sep >> Oct, Nov, Dec. Oh, and from an insiders point of view, as it stands NOW GM:Studio is pretty revolutionary. So imagine what the final release is going to be like?

PS: I know which of the two (Russel and Mike) are telling the truth... And I am also open to bribery (unmarked bills only please!)...

#41 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2493 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:43 PM

The quarters are usually Jan, Feb, Mar >> Apr, May, Jun >> Jul, Aug, Sep >> Oct, Nov, Dec. Oh, and from an insiders point of view, as it stands NOW GM:Studio is pretty revolutionary. So imagine what the final release is going to be like?

PS: I know which of the two (Russel and Mike) are telling the truth... And I am also open to bribery (unmarked bills only please!)...

As so it's not a weird business quarter then? That's good. I get so confused about the business quarters lol

HAHAHA wait a sec, does that mean one of them is deliberatly lying to wind us all up? If so, that's bloody brilliant!

Do you take cookies? :P

#42 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21989 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:46 PM

Maybe they are BOTH trying to wind you guys up? Or maybe I am? Oh, and I do take cookies.... But you better have some really good ones - with double chocolate chips and they have to be crunchy outside but all soft and sticky in the middle. If not then forget it...

#43 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3167 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:46 PM

I read it in a news e-mail from YYG regarding YYG at this years Game Developers Conference, which I quote:

YoYo Games, the UK-based developer of game creation tools and leading mobile games publisher, is pleased to announce that it will be attending this year’s Game Developer Conference in San Francisco, which takes place between the 5th and 9th of March 2012. YoYo Games will be taking a stand at the conference’s expo centre and will be showcasing the latest version of its game development platform, GameMaker: Studio, with live demonstrations from YoYo Games staff.

GameMaker: Studio takes the ultra-accessible and extensible GameMaker environment to the forefront of modern smartphone and web-based game development with one-button publishing to export a single code and asset base to a wide variety of output formats. GameMaker studio will output native apps to iOS for iPhone and iPad, OSX, Android, web HTML5, Windows and many others, with Smart TV support also in development.

Sandy Duncan, CEO of YoYo Games, comments: “The San Francisco GDC is the most important game development event in the world, so we’re hugely excited to be attending as an exhibitor to demonstrate the power and versatility of GameMaker: Studio.” He continues, “We’re keen to show the entire game development community precisely what GameMaker: Studio is capable of and the immense savings in time and resource it brings.”

Mike Dailly, head of development, YoYo Games said: “Showcasing GameMaker: Studio at GDC will allow us to really highlight the benefits of the development platform we’ve been continually refining and improving over the last few years.” He adds, “We estimate that for cross-platform development, there’s an 80% reduction in development time when using GameMaker over native languages. We’re also proving the strength and versatility of our development environment with our publishing arm, which uses GameMaker to produce demonstrably successful games with lightning-quick development times. Reflexions was developed in-house, by a two-man coder and artist team, in just three weeks at our Dundee studio and it topped the Android charts on release.”

GameMaker: Studio builds on the ultra-accessible UI and drag-and-drop functionality of previous versions of GameMaker, including its internal image, level and code editing tools and includes an advanced scripting language for experienced developers. GameMaker: Studio also introduces a one-click compiling feature that outputs any given project to a variety of modern destination platforms, including iOS, Android, HTML5, Symbian and many others.

Game Maker: Studio will launch, initially in beta form, in March 2012.

YoYo Games will be exhibiting at stand 2332.

Just that one little gem of a sentence is what I'm holding onto for now :thumbsup:

#44 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2493 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:50 PM

I read it in a news e-mail from YYG regarding YYG at this years Game Developers Conference, which I quote:

YoYo Games, the UK-based developer of game creation tools and leading mobile games publisher, is pleased to announce that it will be attending this year’s Game Developer Conference in San Francisco, which takes place between the 5th and 9th of March 2012. YoYo Games will be taking a stand at the conference’s expo centre and will be showcasing the latest version of its game development platform, GameMaker: Studio, with live demonstrations from YoYo Games staff.

GameMaker: Studio takes the ultra-accessible and extensible GameMaker environment to the forefront of modern smartphone and web-based game development with one-button publishing to export a single code and asset base to a wide variety of output formats. GameMaker studio will output native apps to iOS for iPhone and iPad, OSX, Android, web HTML5, Windows and many others, with Smart TV support also in development.

Sandy Duncan, CEO of YoYo Games, comments: “The San Francisco GDC is the most important game development event in the world, so we’re hugely excited to be attending as an exhibitor to demonstrate the power and versatility of GameMaker: Studio.” He continues, “We’re keen to show the entire game development community precisely what GameMaker: Studio is capable of and the immense savings in time and resource it brings.”

Mike Dailly, head of development, YoYo Games said: “Showcasing GameMaker: Studio at GDC will allow us to really highlight the benefits of the development platform we’ve been continually refining and improving over the last few years.” He adds, “We estimate that for cross-platform development, there’s an 80% reduction in development time when using GameMaker over native languages. We’re also proving the strength and versatility of our development environment with our publishing arm, which uses GameMaker to produce demonstrably successful games with lightning-quick development times. Reflexions was developed in-house, by a two-man coder and artist team, in just three weeks at our Dundee studio and it topped the Android charts on release.”

GameMaker: Studio builds on the ultra-accessible UI and drag-and-drop functionality of previous versions of GameMaker, including its internal image, level and code editing tools and includes an advanced scripting language for experienced developers. GameMaker: Studio also introduces a one-click compiling feature that outputs any given project to a variety of modern destination platforms, including iOS, Android, HTML5, Symbian and many others.

Game Maker: Studio will launch, initially in beta form, in March 2012.

YoYo Games will be exhibiting at stand 2332.

Just that one little gem of a sentence is what I'm holding onto for now :thumbsup:

Haha trust me to skip the crucial part of a newsletter lmao

Maybe they are BOTH trying to wind you guys up? Or maybe I am? Oh, and I do take cookies.... But you better have some really good ones - with double chocolate chips and they have to be crunchy outside but all soft and sticky in the middle. If not then forget it...

I tried those cookies before. They're awesome!

Edited by King Tetiro, 26 February 2012 - 08:32 AM.

#45 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7485 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:18 PM

I know which of the two (Russel and Mike) are telling the truth...

And now we all know. :wink:

#46 Mike.Dailly

Mike.Dailly

Evil YoYo Games Employee

• Administrators
  • 3280 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:32 AM

Perhaps this is all just "typical PR" to get folk to come to the stand and see how awesome we are, and how amazing Studio will be when it eventually comes out......... :no:

or perhaps not..... ;)

Oh... and we both are.... or we both aren't. I forget which. :whistle:

#47 tari_minyatur_dw

tari_minyatur_dw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 96 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:11 PM

I don't really see what the hype is to be honest... I guess that's because I don't own an iPhone and play most games on my computer anyway...

We are sadly the last of a dieing breed. I hate phone game's!

#48 superx140

superx140

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:38 AM

For some reason I searched google for "YoYo Android runner", and it directed me to the change log of studio.
Ir doesn't reveal anything we didn't know, but perhaps some of you will find it interesting? :P

#49 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:56 AM

Oh... and we both are.... or we both aren't. I forget which. :whistle:

You put the rest of us to shame. Now I know, to become a proper troll, I need to have people looking forward to something I'm doing, so I can tease them about it.

This will take some time. :ninja:

#50 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8291 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:30 PM

For some reason I searched google for "YoYo Android runner", and it directed me to the change log of studio.
Ir doesn't reveal anything we didn't know, but perhaps some of you will find it interesting? :P

You can also change the project to GM:Studio at bugs.yoyogames.com to see the reported bugs and fixes.

#51 GS-games

GS-games

Creative

• GMC Member
  • 356 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

Im very interested in the Box2D Physics. Is that like the physics in angry birds?

#52 BlaXun

BlaXun

Slime Online Creator

• GMC Member
  • 2749 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:39 PM

I am not excited bout the multi-platform support (which is cool though) but its stuff such as source control (SVN) that really helps development. Finally real team-development on a single project. Will be worth every €/$

#53 scurvycapn

scurvycapn

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 187 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:11 PM

Im very interested in the Box2D Physics. Is that like the physics in angry birds?

Yes. Box2d is the physics engine that was used in Angry Birds.

#54 NicroGames

NicroGames

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 300 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:14 PM

Yes. Box2d is the physics engine that was used in Angry Birds.

I saw that too. I'm even more excited now!

#55 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:19 PM

Does html5 get the box2d physics?

#56 NicroGames

NicroGames

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 300 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:37 PM

Does html5 get the box2d physics?

Good question... Probably not, but I may be wrong. I would like to see something official here.

#57 rwkay

rwkay

YoYo Games CTO

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2357 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:09 PM

HTML5 does indeed have box2D

Russell

#58 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:14 PM

Russell

YES! :biggrin: :biggrin:

... wait a minute. I've got GM-html5! I want box2D Now! No fair, making me wait! :sad:

#59 scurvycapn

scurvycapn

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 187 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:43 PM

Russell

If I may ask, how in depth is the Box2d integration? Are we able to draw our own convex polygons for our objects or are we limited to rectangular/circle primitives? Are joints supported? Thanks.

#60 rwkay

rwkay

YoYo Games CTO

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2357 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:46 PM

box2D is closely integrated, in the GUI you can add physics properties to objects and rooms, you will be able to add vertex shapes to sprites in the GUI, though you can use rectangles and circles as well.

Through GML code you can do all of the above as well and you can handle joints and motors.

Russell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users