Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:59 PM

Golfing Block
♫♪ by Desert Dog ♪♫

:GM044: Swing your way through 16 bite-sized levels in this wacky arcade golfing game. Try to get hole in ones!

:GM028: Play Now

Some screenshots:
:GM122:
Posted Image
Posted Image

:GM071: Designed to (hopefully) work on mobile phones. Please try it in one, if you can, and let me know of any issues, if any! :thanks:

Cheers!

Edited by Desert Dog, 09 February 2012 - 10:00 PM.

HTML5 games for mobile:
HexDogs Bugz Burn! Captain George Golfing Block Memory

Games for Androids
*NEW* Word Dog - Published by Dangerous_Dave

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.
Use the quicksort to sort ds_lists 10-18 times faster than ds_list_sort()!

#2 thegame

thegame

OinkIguana

• GMC Member
  • 1549 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:44 PM

I did it! Good game. Didn't play it on mobile though
Spoiler

Edited by thegame, 09 February 2012 - 10:44 PM.

Examples: Inventory and Shop Example ||| Dialog System with messages, questions, input and more ||| Old dialog box example (May not work in new versions of GM:Studio)
Jam Games: 11: Abby and Elliot - 21st place ||| 12: Forks - 16th place ||| 13: White - 19th place
Completed games: White

#3 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:00 PM

Wow, good job on that! :D I thought I'd be the only one able to get them all! D:

Thanks for trying!

Edited by Desert Dog, 09 February 2012 - 11:00 PM.

HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.

#4 nujuat

nujuat

Alex Tritt Games

• GMC Member
  • 268 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:48 AM

I haven't played for that long yet, but it seems to work well on my ipod touch gen 4. It is a little bit slow, but it's definitely playable. It would also be faster on iphones as well. The screen is the right size and everything (well, that is if you save it to the home screen).

Good job!

COGios.png  - - http://alextrittgames.com/  - - DGios.png
iOS - HTML5 - PC - MAC - OUYA

#5 YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4157 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:57 AM

HTC Wildfire S:
Part of game appears to be hidden by the menu.
Could not get past the menu screen - any attempt to interact with game resulted in it's being selected (with color, as happens to text or images) and deselected in a moment.

Judging from PC experience, nice game though.
If my posts contain broken links, try looking around my website. I gradually make blog posts for any examples I make.
_.png_.gif

#6 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:35 AM

I haven't played for that long yet, but it seems to work well on my ipod touch gen 4. It is a little bit slow, but it's definitely playable. It would also be faster on iphones as well. The screen is the right size and everything (well, that is if you save it to the home screen).

Good job!

I left blank(ish) spaces at the top/bottom of the game, for any URL bars, if any. Do they still drop down yet further, into the game?! D:

Thanks for playing! Any feedback on the controls would be sweet, I've gotten to wondering if I shouldn't make the finger point in the opposite direction of the ball, so the player can see where he's hitting. What do you think?

Part of game appears to be hidden by the menu.
Could not get past the menu screen - any attempt to interact with game resulted in it's being selected (with color, as happens to text or images) and deselected in a moment.

Well.. that isn't good. My memory game loaded for you, right? Although I have updated GM, since then... I'll see what I can find out about this. D: The html is just straight GM-output, I haven't made any changes.

Thanks for testing guys, and glad you like! :thanks:
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

#7 allex24

allex24

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:12 PM

Nice game and good graphic, it's pleasure to play it on pc. I tried it on my samsung GT-P1000 - it works fine but slower suppose due to my slow internet speed on tablet.

#8 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:00 PM

Thanks for testing! Glad to know it works alright, even if it's running a bit slow. :D Step in the right direction.

And yes! I got a "good graphics" comment! Achievement unlocked. :miner:
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

#9 Zesterer

Zesterer

Professor of Articul

• GMC Member
  • 1044 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:19 PM

VERY nice! I played it on my iPod, and I can truthfully say that it was really quite fun, even if there was a general lack of items and other gameplay objects. I would love to see more games like this in the future!

Zesterer

Fortified - The sword thrusting, castle busting, catapult adjusting new Tower Defense game!

More projects and work coming soon... If you need help on voxels, mesh rendering, physics, perlin noise generation, 3D, mathematics or more just contact me and I'll be happy to help!

Skype: zesterer                Email: barry.of.smith@gmail.com <---- Actually, don't use this address, I never check it.

#10 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:52 AM

Thanks! Seems I'm pretty iCompatible then. Glad you liked! :D

Managed to try it myself on an Android of some description. Quite slow, but buttons and that worked. Which is great, but doesn't help me fix the HTC Wildfire problem. Might just have to like&lump that bug. :s
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

#11 benoit.rouleau

benoit.rouleau

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1637 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:24 PM

It doesn't work in Google Chrome 19.0.1036.7. I get the following errors in the console:

Viewport argument value "device-width;" for key "width" not recognized. Content ignored. (golfingblock.html:7)
Viewport argument value "1.0;" for key "initial-scale" was truncated to its numeric prefix. (golfingblock.html:7)
Viewport argument value "1.0;" for key "maximum-scale" was truncated to its numeric prefix. (golfingblock.html:7)
Viewport argument value "0;" for key "user-scalable" was truncated to its numeric prefix. (golfingblock.html:7)

#12 YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4157 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:00 PM

It doesn't work in Google Chrome 19.0.1036.7. I get the following errors in the console:

Viewport argument value "device-width;" for key "width" not recognized. Content ignored. (golfingblock.html:7)
Viewport argument value "1.0;" for key "initial-scale" was truncated to its numeric prefix. (golfingblock.html:7)
Viewport argument value "1.0;" for key "maximum-scale" was truncated to its numeric prefix. (golfingblock.html:7)
Viewport argument value "0;" for key "user-scalable" was truncated to its numeric prefix. (golfingblock.html:7)

To note, those are not errors. They are warnings, caused by slightly incorrect way of writing <meta> tag in GameMaker:HTML5.
If my posts contain broken links, try looking around my website. I gradually make blog posts for any examples I make.
_.png_.gif

#13 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

Thanks for the report. Not sure what do do about that. Is this, like, a bug report that Mike D should know about?

I have chrome 17.0.963.46 (which says it's up-to date) and it works fine.
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

#14 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9450 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:13 AM

Doesn't load at all on my Android phone (LG Optimus GT540). The loading bar goes right across, then the screen goes grey. Weird.

Cool game, though :)

#15 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:54 AM

Hmmm, thanks for the report.

The first room( well, I have a rm_init, but that goes instantly to the menu) is a wide room. 3 screens wide, and I'm just using the view to shift between them. Maybe that's what is causing the grief. (somehow). I'm not doing anything fancy in those first rooms, otherwise. Ah, well, cheers! :wacko:
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

#16 GameDevDan

GameDevDan

RIP current GMC

• Global Moderators
  • 1453 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:21 PM

I've gotten to wondering if I shouldn't make the finger point in the opposite direction of the ball, so the player can see where he's hitting. What do you think?

Definitely a good idea. My finger keeps getting in the way on my iPhone. Runs fast though :)

Played through all the levels on Chrome, 'twas fun. Well done :D

See you all on the other side.

Back & share :)

#17 thegame

thegame

OinkIguana

• GMC Member
  • 1549 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:24 PM

Well... If you make the finger go the opposite direction of the ball you can't aim away from the side of the screen. Correct?

Examples: Inventory and Shop Example ||| Dialog System with messages, questions, input and more ||| Old dialog box example (May not work in new versions of GM:Studio)
Jam Games: 11: Abby and Elliot - 21st place ||| 12: Forks - 16th place ||| 13: White - 19th place
Completed games: White

#18 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:31 PM

I do have a 32 pixel buffer on the edges, but yeah, there is that. Well, I've got something to chew on. An idea would be to make it you can click&drag ANYWHERE, and it'd figure out the initial click spot, and where you are now, and aim from that. But that isn't so intuitive.

Thanks for checking it out&testing!
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

#19 mazimadu

mazimadu

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 244 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:45 AM

Very, very nice. Tested it on my Herotab C8 and it works very well. Addictive and extremely playable on a tablet.

Now if only yoyo could fix the sound issues with GMHTML5. Then we will have true tablet gaming.

#20 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:03 AM

Yow, I love not having sound. :D O.k. I'm lazy, but phones often have limited(and expensive!) internet connection.. sounds files are comparatively LARGE. Right now this game is under 1 mb (I think..) add a music track+a few sound fx, and we could easily be hitting 3+ mb. So I think design wise, a web mobile game is fine without sounds. (if the game is really good, make it an app!)

Thanks for testing!!
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

#21 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:33 PM

Love this!

I'm thinking you should add a bunch of levels and save it for the release of Studio and App Store it.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#22 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:26 PM

Wow! Thanks!

I might just make an app store edition. I'm pleasantly surprised at how well people are taking this game! Especially since the bouncing was a little unrealistic.(move_bounce_solid(advanced)failed me in html5.. :sweat: )

Currently talking to a non-exclusive publisher. Frankly, I think I prefer the prospect of a regular (and rather nice) check in the mail, as opposed to duking it out on the app store with a million other games. And then I can still find yet more publishers.

*looks for smiley with $ eyes*
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

#23 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9450 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:45 AM

I reckon you could get this app sponsored as is, then make a "special edition" to be sold on the app store. Cheque in the mail, *and* the prospect of sales!

#24 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:13 AM

That's an idea. Even if I don't upgrade the game, or sell it, it may be worthwhile putting it on the app store.. as it is, it seems that mobile web games have a tendency to find their way there eventually, one way or another. :tongue: If it's already there legitimately, maybe it'd deter the non-legitimates.
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

#25 DarkByNight

DarkByNight

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

Well I haven't posted on these forums for ages, I didn't even have a clue there was now a html5 version and soon to be mobile exporting version, but anyway.
Fantastic fun little game you have here! Rather addictive too, I also loaded it up on my android and, although a little laggy, (The mobile's fault, not your game) it was still playable. :D
If it was on the appstore, this would be a game I would buy. :)
I want to try to get a star on all the levels.
The game might be a tad short, but as you've mentioned it's supposed to be bite sized so that's perfect.

#26 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:02 PM

Thanks for the feedback! I was a little worried about the length, but your the first person to comment on it. Great!

App store's a future possibility. I wouldn't sell, unless it had a decent upgrade, though. Make some use of some of that extra power that comes with being a native app. ;)
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

#27 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9450 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:18 AM

I reckon for an app store version, you'd just add a pile more levels (at least three times as many as it has now, and much harder ones). Add some other fringe stuff (like more effects) and it would easily be worth 99c :D

#28 Follomania

Follomania

Unum Mirabile

• GMC Member
  • 445 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:08 AM

I played it and it was quite enjoyable. I noticed it froze for roughly two or three seconds about twice every level. Not entirely sure why. I'm using Firefox, currently, and have a pretty good internet connection.
Also, it would be nice to see the ball have slightly more physics programmed into it. If you make the ball roll if it's on an edge of the block and perhaps lower the friction, it would be add more realism.
Other than that, good work!

#29 Mornez

Mornez

GMC Member

• Sandbox Moderators
  • 379 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:44 AM

I'm playing it on my windows 7 PC.

It looks and plays well.

Should really own when sounds are added.

.....................................................My Websites................................................         My Videos             

754997_orig.jpg  4295588_orig.jpg  1913238_orig.jpg  5184980_orig.png  

#30 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:46 PM

How have I only just seen this? Anyway, I think this game is a really cool idea and certainly has potential! I also found the gameplay slightly flawed on my Android as my finger covered prety much the entire black arrow that appears, so hitting with a power less than 100% became a little tricky. It was great on the laptop though (and the graphics were appealing :thumbsup: )

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot, the game was ran a little slower on my phone than on the PC, but it was by no means unplayable.

Edited by Soulsnatcher, 22 May 2012 - 08:47 PM.

#31 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:26 PM

Just played this in Firefox on my Win XP machine. Great game. +1 :smile: Played very smoothly.

The game play was fairly basic, but very addicting. The graphics were pleasant and the levels were nicely constructed with just the right degree of difficulty. Given the popularity of these types of casual games on mobile devices, I'd say you have a potential winner here.

#32 RayDrop

RayDrop

Toast my Goat

• 20 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:25 AM

Love the game, experienced several times where the ball got stuck in mid air (for whichever reason :tongue: ) and i had to re-shoot it vertically down to get in the hole. (Would have had a hole in one), also one time i hit the ball, but the arrow thing was still there, so i could hit it again in mid flight (i got mad golf skills ;) )
Still a very good game, one of the best html5's released yet!

I played on chrome, no lag whatsoever, im assuming very well written :)

Edited by RayDrop, 15 June 2012 - 02:27 AM.

Posted Image
Give me feedback on my game (Heli Tunnel), and ill give feedback on yours!

#33 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:04 AM

well, that was a pretty good ten minutes i guess. i didn't really feel the need to go back and get a hole in one on every level because it wasn't much fun. i did beat every level though. i like the somewhat 3d tile set graphics you got goin on those slopes and flat spots. being made in html5 was pretty good, i clicked the link and started playing. that's a plus for lazy farts.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#34 atomplanet

atomplanet

Human

• GMC Member
  • 238 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:48 AM

This is a very cool small game. I've finished all levels. :)
It would be good to have more levels or even an editor?

Think.

#35 misturx

misturx

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:43 PM

I have played lots of golf games and I have to say that this is one of the best mini golf games I have ever played. It is absolutely addictive!!!

#36 Regsiv

Regsiv

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

This is fun! Good idea for a mobile game for sure. Some of the gravity feels a little off but that's all i can say. Great job.

#37 Master Xilo

Master Xilo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 396 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

Took me a few seconds to figure out I play with the mouse. I'd make the first level show this to make things clear. I don't really like the red font with slight white gradient and black outline. The grass and dirt textures look nice, but the rest of it seems to have another style.