110 replies to this topic

#61 Rusty

Rusty

The Rustic One

• GMC Member
  • 2735 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:24 AM

But I do think that there is a lot of good that could come out of some weekly challenges, not just for coding but for all Game Developing aspects.

A few examples would be:
Collision Engines
Simple Battle Systems
Sprite Tutorials
Decent Dialogue Engines

Those aren't suitable topics for weekly/monthly challenges. Seriously, a sprite tutorial? With all the different styles, genres and techniques out there? That's FAR too general for a short challenge.

The same applies to battle systems and collision engines. I doubt we could even agree on definitions for those things.

I don't think you've thought about this carefully.

I have, and the thing is, with so many members partaking and entering so many different versions of the required content we could cover quite a few different types and styles quite easily. Not only does this boost the content available to the newbies coming to the site looking for tutorials, guides or useable engines, but it may also prove to show our members some types of battle systems, artwork or collision engines that they simply hadn't encountered or thought of before.

I have thought this through somewhat, I just don't think you're seeing the real potential that something like this could have, not only as a fun event that anybody could jump in on, but also as a way of generating open sourced content and tutorials for new developers.

#62 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7349 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:22 AM

I have thought this through somewhat, I just don't think you're seeing the real potential that something like this could have, not only as a fun event that anybody could jump in on, but also as a way of generating open sourced content and tutorials for new developers.

Just to be clear, I didn't say they weren't useful. I said they're not suitable for coding challenges.

Your suggested topics involve different types, various styles, and some artwork. There's many different aspects in play here. So you'd need multiple categories to judge the entries fairly.

Your categories might be fine for a tutorial challenge. But not for coding challenges.

#63 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3841 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:52 PM

Sorry for not answering your question: well you may upload 2 submissions (for now, I haven't fully decided on this rule yet so with each challenge it might change) though only the "best" will be considered for the judging (so you will win only 1 category at most). I've got to wonder though, can there really be 2 completely different entries though? Well impress me I'd say :P.

@Rusty: well for this I mainly wish them to be coding challenges. The "bigger" goal of the challenges (for me) was to increase the quality of general scripts/engines being written around the GMC. Never say never, but I'm personally not very good at artistic aspects of game development - I hardly have any knowledge where to look for mistakes etc. So I would be a very good judge for those parts of game design. For programming challenges I know where to look for common mistakes, bad paradigms etc. So I can quickly hunt for them, and write reviews of how an entry can be improved in the future.

#64 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7349 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:46 PM

...can there really be 2 completely different entries though?

Yes, absolutely. For example, one way is the conventional "big rock falls into a water tank". The surface distorts and lots of water is ejected by the impact. It's violent.

But another approach might be a tiny splash, like you've seen in those slow-motion video. The water forms a smooth symmetric shape around the impact point... and then a little sphere of water pops out the top. It's beautiful.

So yes, I can imagine two completely different entries. :wink:

#65 ziggler1

ziggler1

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 362 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:40 AM

Thanks for the time extension, I'll have an entry in sometime this week.

#66 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7349 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:03 PM

Just to inform everyone: I've extended the deadline by 1 week :).

That's great. Now that the Jam discussion is over, I hope the extra time will produce more Challenge entries.

But what is the actual deadline? Since the original deadline was never posted, a one-week extension is still a bit vague. You should post the deadline in the original submission rules post, so there's no confusion. Because according to what it says now, one would conclude the contest was over 2 days ago. :wink:

Edited by chance, 22 February 2012 - 12:07 PM.

#67 xot

xot

GMC Dismember

• GMC Elder
  • 4773 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:51 PM

OK, looks like the deadline is Wednesday, February 29th, unless it is extended again. I definitely want to post something. My entry is already looking pretty tasty but it still needs some time to cook. I hope some others step up as well. More entries!

#68 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3841 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:49 AM

OK, looks like the deadline is Wednesday, February 29th, unless it is extended again. I definitely want to post something. My entry is already looking pretty tasty but it still needs some time to cook. I hope some others step up as well. More entries!

I placed it at wednesday, because between next sunday/wednesday I'm on holiday with a few friends :P - so can't end it then..

But like I started with, the deadline should always be considered "about then" - it's not something you ought to aim for when creating it.

#69 Cobalt Co.

Cobalt Co.

Launch All missiles

• 11 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:05 AM

Does anyone have game samples yet? For the challenge? :GM8:

#70 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7349 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:29 AM

Does anyone have game samples yet? For the challenge? :GM8:

The submissions are in the other pinned topic called "GMC Challenge 1 - SPLASH" (if that's what you mean).

Personally, I wouldn't look at any other submissions until you submit your own. I think that's the best way to keep everything original. But that's your call.

#71 Follomania

Follomania

Unum Mirabile

• GMC Member
  • 445 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:15 AM

So far there are only two entries in the submissions topic. I'm thinking perhaps I should throw together another splash engine so we can have the standard first, second, and third places. :)
Hopefully, others will post their entries before the competition is over. This is the type of competition I might actually be able to do well in. *swiftly kicks Jame entry under the table and out of view*

#72 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7349 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:06 PM

So far there are only two entries in the submissions topic. I'm thinking perhaps I should throw together another splash engine so we can have the standard first, second, and third places. :)
Hopefully, others will post their entries before the competition is over. This is the type of competition I might actually be able to do well in. *swiftly kicks Jame entry under the table and out of view*

I got busy with some work-related issues. But now I'm back to more important things. :wink:

So I'm planning to post my entry this afternoon.

#73 ziggler1

ziggler1

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 362 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:36 PM

I still intend to post mine as well.

I would have posted it yesterday, but the thing decided to spontaneously start acting wierd :dry:

#74 xot

xot

GMC Dismember

• GMC Elder
  • 4773 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:05 PM

Well, I've added mine now, so that's three at the very least. Looking forward to seeing some more!

#75 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7349 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:52 PM

Well, I've added mine now, so that's three at the very least.

... and now four. I just posted mine.

#76 Follomania

Follomania

Unum Mirabile

• GMC Member
  • 445 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:37 PM

All the entries look pretty nice. I have this sudden urge to program a game with an ocean surface setting.
It's interesting to look through the codes and see the same methods used for different aspects of the splash, but then see completely different results.

Also,

Challenge entry!

ziggler1sWaterSplash.exe
ziggler1sWaterSplash.gm8

The splash effect is neat and the code behind it is impossible to read! Probably could have made the example look a little better too.

Oh well, better luck next time. :happy:

Your download link to the .gm8 file isn't working.

#77 ziggler1

ziggler1

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 362 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:58 PM

Fixed now. Thanks for pointing it out.

#78 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7349 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:12 AM

I intended to post an .exe version for anyone who couldn't open my GM8.1 submission.... but I waited too long. Oh well, my fault. So I'll post it here for completeness.

chance_splash.zip
1.8 MB zipped file on MediaFire

EDIT: spelled my name right this time...

Edited by chance, 01 March 2012 - 01:13 AM.

#79 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:00 PM

Nice variety of techniques there. I think xot's was probably one of the most realistic, although it did have quite a few limitations (which were very helpfully shown). Follomania's was pretty nice too.

#80 xot

xot

GMC Dismember

• GMC Elder
  • 4773 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:31 PM

I think xot's was probably one of the most realistic, although it did have quite a few limitations (which were very helpfully shown).

Most of the limitations can be overcome, mitigated, or exploited with a little more work. I did make a more advanced version that addressed some of them, but I didn't have time to refine the changes. Ultimately, I wanted to keep the example as simple as possible.

#81 ziggler1

ziggler1

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 362 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:11 PM

I think most of these examples have those limitations. Xot has simply put forth the effort to tell us them.

#82 Robert3DG+

Robert3DG+

Designer

• GMC Member
  • 1925 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:17 AM

Xot totally smashed this challenge to pieces IMHO. Awesome work.

#83 ziggler1

ziggler1

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 362 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:52 AM

Xot totally smashed this challenge to pieces IMHO. Awesome work.

Then it's a fight to take second place. :happy:

#84 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2249 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:09 AM

Meh, my splash engine is so simple compared to you guys'. I'll try harder next time ;D

#85 ziggler1

ziggler1

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 362 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:32 AM

That's the spirit!

On a side note, when will the winners be announced?

#86 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3841 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:19 AM

That's the spirit!

On a side note, when will the winners be announced?

I'm planning to have everything done before the end of this week.

#87 ziggler1

ziggler1

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 362 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:29 AM

Well it has been a while now. Did the GMC challenge die to so quickly? I am still interested in participating in the next challenge presented.

#88 lukew23

lukew23

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 276 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:22 AM

Was this a one off thing? I got the impression there would be more of these, but it seems this one hasn't finished yet...

#89 ziggler1

ziggler1

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 362 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:22 AM

The intention was to have more of these, but the reviewing hasn't been done for this one yet.

#90 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2249 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:59 PM

Obviously this is a failure :\
We need the Cage Match! Let Purple Fuzzy run it if you mods are too busy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users