paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3834 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

Here is my entry!

Posted Image

Amazing how I can judge entries without looking at their code!

#32 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:54 PM

I'll probably skip this one (not really into realism effects - I prefer abstraction) - but I have an idea for a later challenge:

Fastest / Best conversion from a surface to a ds_grid and vice versa.

Either that or 100% GML shaders.

Having some fast surface to grid conversion methods would really open up a lot of other engines.

#33 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:01 PM

I'm thinking a 2d, platform view. I'd either use a surface, and work with deforming it, or just some sort of primitive set up.
Never really worked with either, much, so... hmm.

The other idea would be a particle effect. Rock hits water, the water itself doesn't change, but I create a particle effect that looks pretty splashy.

I'm not one for big, expensive effects, so don't expect anything fancy from me. :P

#34 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3834 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:04 PM

Just to inform everyone, the submission topic is now up. You have a full week (at least, till I close the topic) to make submissions.

Remember that as this is a trial run there might be minor changes to rules during the week. Though I doubt that really happens a lot.

#35 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7260 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:48 PM

Just to inform everyone, the submission topic is now up.

Challenge on! :smile: I'll abandon my 3D thoughts and think about 2D side view (presumably the same as your "front view"). I was leaning toward that anyways, because I'm eager to try a simple water-surface profile effect. A big impact wave... then dying down to ripples. We'll see how it goes.

The specific rules for this challenge seem pretty clear. The goal is to make a realistic looking splash effect in code -- but also one that's fairly easy for someone else to use. Hence, the variables for customization.

But what does this mean:

...please remember that the effect you generate should not be over-the-top.

What exactly do you mean by "not over the top"?

#36 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3834 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

But what does this mean:

...please remember that the effect you generate should not be over-the-top.

Burning the cpu of my pc because of millions of particles/objects in the effect is definatelly over the top. It's just a reminder that code should always be made so that others can use it.

#37 The Legend

The Legend

Unashamed

• GMC Member
  • 1128 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:55 PM

Splash, huh? I'm working on a different project already but I've got extra time on my hands. I'm game. I like the fact that you have so much time.
EDIT: Lost all extra time. Wasnt really thrilled about the theme in the first place...

Edited by The Legend, 17 February 2012 - 07:09 PM.

#38 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7260 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:24 PM

Burning the cpu of my pc because of millions of particles/objects in the effect is definatelly over the top. It's just a reminder that code should always be made so that others can use it.

I figured that's what you meant. But wanted to be sure. So thanks.

OK... I finally got started. So far I'm focusing on the water surface. Got a nice wave thing going when the rock hits. It's not an accurate physics simulation, but it looks pretty realistic. There's a big impact wave, then it dies down to small quiescent waves.

I'm planning it so users can replace my rock with an object of their own (within size limits). That way, it can be easily incorporated into a game. I'll update this as I go along.

@paul23: can I post in the submission topic now... and update that post -- sort of like a blog? Or would you rather just use that for "final" submissions?

#39 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3834 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:49 PM

Well as long as there's not more than 1 post per user, and the moment you post you have already "something" (doesn't have to be complete, just that I know it's an entry) it's fine. - Though I hope for discussion about submission to stay here - and not litter the other topic.

#40 RedOctober

RedOctober

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:53 PM

I was planning to join this challenge. I did some searching and reading on how this could be done. I could probably do it if I had more knowledge of the mathematics behind fluid mechanics. However, I don't have the time to work on this. I wish everyone else luck. :)

#41 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7260 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:10 PM

Well as long as there's not more than 1 post per user, and the moment you post you have already "something" (doesn't have to be complete, just that I know it's an entry) it's fine. - Though I hope for discussion about submission to stay here - and not litter the other topic.

OK. But since I wasn't planning to post the actual code until the end, I better just wait. If I have an epiphany, I'll post it here.

I could probably do it if I had more knowledge of the mathematics behind fluid mechanics.

physics schymics... you don't need fluid mechanics. :tongue: Appearance is all that matters. If you've ever seen water splash, you got all the background you need.

So you should enter.

#42 Follomania

Follomania

Unum Mirabile

• GMC Member
  • 445 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:42 PM

I've got my core splash and wave mechanics done, which gives me several days to work on optimization. Currently, my computer only runs a splash at 85 frames per second. :(
But atleast it's looking pretty thus far.
Spoiler

#43 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7260 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

I've got my core splash and wave mechanics done, which gives me several days to work on optimization.

Looking good Follomania. +1

But I'm a bit worried we don't have more participants. Or maybe they're just too busy coding to post here? Actually, it seems like the Jam is still dominating everyone's attention. Especially since Mark hasn't awarded all the prizes yet. (Best of... and the best review).

@paul: have you considered extending and/or delaying the Challenge? Maybe until the Jam excitement dies down a bit? I'd hate to see this fail simply because it's over-shadowed by other events.

#44 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2247 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:24 PM

But I'm a bit worried we don't have more participants. Or maybe they're just too busy coding to post here? Actually, it seems like the Jam is still dominating everyone's attention. Especially since Mark hasn't awarded all the prizes yet. (Best of... and the best review).

I'm working on a splashing thingy too ;) So Follomania isn't gonna take the prize so easily.
Edit: Just posted it on the official topic... am I allowed to make 2 entries?

Edited by orange08, 15 February 2012 - 03:28 PM.

#45 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Member
  • 9328 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:19 AM

I just saw this and thought I'd give it a try. I have the splash itself done fairly well, I'm just having a bit of trouble with the water surface distortion...I get the feeling school will end up not giving me enough time to work on this (like the Jam votes >_<), but I'll try.

-IMP

#46 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3834 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:42 AM

Hmm I'm not opposed to extending the submission time by a week or something - but I'll first discuss this with nocturne :). It wass more or less that from the original topic it seemed the GMC wanted something on a weekly/monthly basis :confused:

#47 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7260 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:40 AM

@paul: have you considered extending and/or delaying the Challenge? Maybe until the Jam excitement dies down a bit? I'd hate to see this fail simply because it's over-shadowed by other events.

Hmm I'm not opposed to extending the submission time by a week or something - but I'll first discuss this with nocturne :). It wass more or less that from the original topic it seemed the GMC wanted something on a weekly/monthly basis :confused:

Yes, but the original topic was mostly about the cage match. And weekly/monthly is fine if members just have to vote. But for coding challenges, less frequent might be better.

Either way, I'm personally OK with monthly challenges, except for when they overlap with a Jam. That was my only concern here.

#48 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

I don't think splashes is the best theme to get a lot of people participating - because I for one, expect that if I entered, my entry would easily be eclipsed by people that are familiar with getting ripples to work correctly. Posted ImageAlso - homework is killing me.

#49 Rusty

Rusty

The Rustic One

• GMC Member
  • 2687 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:19 PM

I don't think splashes is the best theme to get a lot of people participating - because I for one, expect that if I entered, my entry would easily be eclipsed by people that are familiar with getting ripples to work correctly. Posted ImageAlso - homework is killing me.

I was going to enter, and could have easily pulled out a nice slash effect using sprites but I failed to be able to get hold of a solid answer on the subject and therefore, gave up.

#50 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3834 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:26 PM

get hold of a solid answer

???

But I guess I'll give everyone another week to study the subject a bit more.. Seems I chose a bit too difficult challenge :whistle: . But remember, it doesn't have to be perfect, and the more difficult it is the better it is to have something working

#51 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7260 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:43 PM

I was going to enter, and could have easily pulled out a nice slash effect using sprites but I failed to be able to get hold of a solid answer on the subject and therefore, gave up.

Solid answer for what? There's no rule against using sprites. As long as you don't like make a animated splash GIF to create the entire effect. :tongue:

Seriously, if you can easily code a nice splash effect, why not enter?

I don't think splashes is the best theme to get a lot of people participating - because I for one, expect that if I entered, my entry would easily be eclipsed by people that are familiar with getting ripples to work correctly.

But that's the whole point of a coding challenge: to figure out ways to accomplish something. If everyone already knew how to do it... it wouldn't be much of a challenge. :wink:

#52 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:43 PM

But that's the whole point of a coding challenge: to figure out ways to accomplish something. If everyone already knew how to do it... it wouldn't be much of a challenge. :wink:

I can think of an easy way to make ripples... But since I don't know the maths - I get the feeling that if I made mathematically incorrect ripples it would just niggle at me for weeks.Posted Image

#53 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7260 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:30 PM

...mathematically incorrect ripples...

:huh: If it looks like a ripple, and moves like a ripple... then it's a ripple.

Frankly, I think ripples made by "unconventional techniques" would be cool. It shows imagination. So I say go for it!

#54 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Member
  • 9328 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:46 PM

...mathematically incorrect ripples...

:huh: If it looks like a ripple, and moves like a ripple... then it's a ripple duck!

Fixed that for you :P .

-IMP

#55 Rusty

Rusty

The Rustic One

• GMC Member
  • 2687 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:53 PM

get hold of a solid answer

???

But I guess I'll give everyone another week to study the subject a bit more.. Seems I chose a bit too difficult challenge :whistle: . But remember, it doesn't have to be perfect, and the more difficult it is the better it is to have something working

I don't really know, I was just confused over what rules were actually in place.

But I do think that there is a lot of good that could come out of some weekly challenges, not just for coding but for all Game Developing aspects.

A few examples would be:
Collision Engines
Simple Battle Systems
Sprite Tutorials
Decent Dialogue Engines

I'd also suggest setting up up to start after the voting session of the GMC Jam ends, until the end of the month. We could produce a lot of decent engines and tutorials that way, that not only test and prove our skills as Game Developers but also help the wider community, providing them with useful engines and tutorials.

Anyway, I won't be entering this one. Maybe the next one.

#56 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Member
  • 9328 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:56 PM

But I do think that there is a lot of good that could come out of some weekly challenges, not just for coding but for all Game Developing aspects.

A few examples would be:
Collision Engines
Simple Battle Systems
Sprite Tutorials
Decent Dialogue Engines

I'd also suggest setting up up to start after the voting session of the GMC Jam ends, until the end of the month. We could produce a lot of decent engines and tutorials that way, that not only test and prove our skills as Game Developers but also help the wider community, providing them with useful engines and tutorials.

:yes: I second this idea. I'd third it as well, if my other personality would be counted :lol: .

-IMP

#57 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2247 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:27 PM

Will this question be answered?

... am I allowed to make 2 entries?

#58 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7260 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:34 AM

A few examples would be:
Collision Engines
Simple Battle Systems
Sprite Tutorials
Decent Dialogue Engines

Those aren't suitable topics for weekly/monthly challenges. Seriously, a sprite tutorial? With all the different styles, genres and techniques out there? That's FAR too general for a short challenge.

The same applies to battle systems and collision engines. I doubt we could even agree on definitions for those things.

I don't think you've thought about this carefully.

#59 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 6409 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:14 AM

Will this question be answered?

I think.. do whatever you like. :P The theme is splash, so make a splash! Don't be hindered by rules&regs.

#60 Cobalt Co.

Cobalt Co.

Launch All missiles

• 11 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:31 AM

A very interesting competition paul. :GM8:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users