#1 scotay

scotay

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 147 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

http://yoyogames.com/news/73

YoYo are delighted to welcome Piotr 'gnysek Gnys who joins our team today (all the way from Gdansk, Poland) as a Junior Games Programmer! Piotr was previously an administrator, PHP & GML developer at GMCLAN.

He is 24 years old (born in Poland) and has been programming in GameMaker for around 9 years now. Piotr is also a co-administrator at the Polish GameMaker Community (aka GMClan.org, writing tutorials there, replying to questions on forum). He graduated from Gdansk University in IT (web technologies and databases specialization) so he's also a web developer (PHP mainly). Piotr, of course, has a love of video games (especially RPGs and racings) and his idol is Hideo Kojima! Please give him a warm community welcome :)

YoYo Games are also in Hamburg this week for the Casual Connect show. Sandy, Malcolm and Mark are there to show and talk about Grave Maker (YoYo's forthcoming game release that will cover multi-platforms) and of course about GameMaker Studio. It's going to be a busy few days for the guys but it will be well worth it, if you are going keep a look out for us!

#2 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7714 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:45 PM

http://yoyogames.com/news/73

YoYo are delighted to welcome Piotr 'Gynsek' Gnys who joins our team today (all the way from Gdansk, Poland) as a Junior Games Programmer!

Gnysek Gnys from Gdansk. Gee, Great! :smile: j/k Let me be the first to say congrats on your new job at YYG. And glad to see YYG growing.

I haven't visited the GMClan forum for a while, but you guys make some excellent games, judging from this "best of" topic. I hope you can spend some time on this forum too.

EDIT: fixed typo in Gnysek's name. See post below.

Edited by chance, 06 February 2012 - 05:24 PM.

#3 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8364 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:26 PM

I think that it's absolutely wonderful that YYGs is willing to hire people from its community of users. We've seen Daddio and NAL from the GMC and now GynSek from another prominent GameMaker forum. Add to that, community members who YYGs has worked with for game publishing.

Its practises like this that really differentiates YYGs from others and you guys really need to be commended for it.

Well done!

#4 gnysek

gnysek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 552 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

In fact there was small typo in first post, my nickname is "gnysek" (came after surname) :P

Edited by gnysek, 06 February 2012 - 02:33 PM.

#5 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7714 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:21 PM

I was wondering about that after I saw Van ANtY's comment about the "best of" GMClan games:

Z racji tego, że Gnysek nie ma czasu aktualizować starego tematu spytałem się go, czy mogę zacząć nowy.

Anyway... I know you just started job as "games programmer", but do you already have an assignment? Or is it too early to say?

#6 masterofhisowndomain

masterofhisowndomain

The Designer

• GMC Member
  • 3650 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:26 PM

Didn't realise there was such an active Polish community of Game Maker users, I must admit. And that's great news, completely in agreement with NPT that it's a great sourcing strategy to take staff from the community; means you've got people who use the product, care about it, and, perhaps most importantly of all, care about the community.

#7 JonathanPzone

JonathanPzone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1215 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:39 PM

An influx of members from the community, eh?

Where should I send my résumé? :whistle:

Edit: I seemed to have forgotten my manners. Great job at getting the part! I'm trying to find my way through the game page Chance linked to at the moment.

Edited by JonathanPzone, 06 February 2012 - 11:45 PM.

#8 gnysek

gnysek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 552 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:36 PM

Where should I send my résumé? :whistle:

It's more about that when you're good enough, they will contact you ;)

I know you just started job as "games programmer", but do you already have an assignment?

As other game programmers there, we're working on released (and unreleased) YYG games, that's all what I can say ;)

#9 masterofhisowndomain

masterofhisowndomain

The Designer

• GMC Member
  • 3650 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:30 PM

I must say, I would think that YoYo Games needs more people in the marketing department to really promote the games that their talented programmers and other staff are working on. I mean - people need to hear about these creations, then play them, then tell their friends etc. to get momentum going. :)

#10 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7714 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:13 PM

I must say, I would think that YoYo Games needs more people in the marketing department to really promote the games that their talented programmers and other staff are working on.

I agree marketing is important. Both for GM itself, and for their games. From what I understand:

- YoYo publishes their games on the iTunes / Android stores.

- They announce their games on their site, and on the GMC forum.

- They advertise their games at international events like Casual Connect (in Hamburg this week), and the "big one" in San Fransisco.

And to advertise GameMaker itself, they sponsor international competitions, like BAFTA and the Global Games Jam (pretty major roles, actually), as well as national competitions like the Creative Games Challenge.

I'd say they're doing a pretty good job of marketing. But more marketing always helps, so if you have any other ideas I'm sure YYG will listen.

Edited by chance, 07 February 2012 - 05:15 PM.

#11 scotay

scotay

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 147 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:40 AM

Chance, you got that in one :)

Marketing is as crucial as producing a great game. However if you look at just how much money typically gets spent promoting a title (ie EA Mobile) just to get it noticed, it'll make your eyes water!! While our modest efforts in these areas ARE showing decent figures, we just don't have the budget or manpower (yet) to compete with the big boys or those dedicated indie devs who can devote all their time plugging one game. We are a software company primarily AND a new publisher so juggling the balance is hard!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users