#1 SecondReality

SecondReality

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 321 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:10 PM

Hello,
I would really appriciate if somebody could help me...
This morning, my GM freezed when I wanted to use the intensity button in the image editor.
I had to "force quit" the program.
A little bit later I wanted to start GM again, and all my preferences were set to zero and the menu bar (I don't know what's the name of it exactly) was gone...
Now I'm scared to do something wrong so I can't open my game anymore.
I've had already problems with GameMaker in the past and I reported bugs on gm4mac.yoyogames.com but nobody has answered them...
I really need this to be resolved. I'm very busy with my game and now I can't work anymore on it!

Really really thank you if somebody could help me!

PS I've already restarted my mac, have done Disk Utility and nothing is found and I even reinstalled GM4Mac... But the problem's still there!

Edited by SecondReality, 17 April 2013 - 08:39 PM.

#2 SecondReality

SecondReality

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 321 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:12 PM

PS I've already restarted my mac, have done Disk Utility and nothing is found and I even reinstalled GM4Mac... But the problem's still there!

#3 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9417 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:52 AM

I have that problem too. It's a bug in GM. If you don't touch the "Intensity" setting, then it's fine.

Remember the first rule on using a computer: Save, save, save!

#4 1 Shogun

1 Shogun

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 48 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:49 AM

Same issue here. It's best to use a separate image editor and then import it to GM. And, if you have an image that you've created via GM sprite editor you don't want to lose then export it, edit, then import. If you don't know of any good free editors, "Paintbrush" is good, "Pencil" (though technically an animation app) is very easy to use and export images, and if you use MacPorts or have Linux, "MyPaint" is pretty cool. A lot of people like GIMP, but I'm not a very big fan of it. Sorry about your bug, and thanks for posting in the Report Bugs topic.

P.S.

If you are getting your sprites from a different source, just use "Preview" to change the saturation and brightness. Or, use code in the Draw Event instead.

Edited by 1 Shogun, 06 February 2012 - 08:55 AM.

#5 SecondReality

SecondReality

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 321 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

Yeah, now I know that I can't use the intensity button, but I've still another problem.
The menu bar above is gone! Is there nothing I can do?

#6 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9417 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:30 AM

Which menu bar?

#7 SecondReality

SecondReality

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 321 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:22 AM

The menu bar (or maybe it's called the title bar) with the title: "Game Maker for Mac OS X Pro: "your game" "
That's gone!
You can see a screenshot via the link in my first post, then jou will see what's missing.

And another problem: all my preferences are set to zero!
When I try to change my preferences, I get this message:
"Failed to set data for "SoundDir".
Press OK to ignore and risk data corruption.
Press Cancel to kill the program."
There's definitly something wrong...

Edited by funnysoft, 07 February 2012 - 06:36 AM.

#8 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9417 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:48 AM

You probably should start by deleting your preference files and see if that helps.

See comment by Russell for instructions: http://gm4mac.yoyoga...view.php?id=880

Edited by Dangerous_Dave, 07 February 2012 - 06:54 AM.

#9 SecondReality

SecondReality

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 321 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

Thank you very much!
I have deleted my preference-files and now everything works.
Thanks again!

#10 mykyl1966

mykyl1966

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 17 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

You probably should start by deleting your preference files and see if that helps.

That link goes nowhere now. Any words on what was actually there. As far as I am concerned I have cleared out everything game maker related and still have the stupid menu bar gone and preference files not saving.

Seems they have cleared all mac issues from the database. None are listed at all.

Mike

Edited by mykyl1966, 02 April 2012 - 05:02 PM.

#11 SecondReality

SecondReality

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 321 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

That link goes nowhere now. Any words on what was actually there. As far as I am concerned I have cleared out everything game maker related and still have the stupid menu bar gone and preference files not saving.

Seems they have cleared all mac issues from the database. None are listed at all.

Mike

Sorry, I only know that I had to do some commands in Terminal to delete the preferences.
But I don't remember which commands.
Maybe you can send an e-mail to yoyogames. It's possible that they've stored the issues somewhere...

EDIT: I think I found the commands in my command history that I've used to delete the preferences.
I'm not sure but maybe try these 3 commands in Terminal:
rm -rf ~/.config/Game\ Maker\ for\ Mac
rm -rf ~/.config/Game_Maker
rm -rf ~/.config/YoYo70

Edited by funnysoft, 05 April 2012 - 02:28 PM.

#12 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9417 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:37 PM

EDIT: I think I found the commands in my command history that I've used to delete the preferences.
I'm not sure but maybe try these 3 commands in Terminal:
rm -rf ~/.config/Game\ Maker\ for\ Mac
rm -rf ~/.config/Game_Maker
rm -rf ~/.config/YoYo70

Thanks for this! I've been trying to track it down for a few days now but was unsuccessful.

Checking the .config folder on my machine, those three folders are the only ones relating to GM, so they should do the trick.

#13 mykyl1966

mykyl1966

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

Sorry about the very late reply. The forum never sent me a notification of an answer although I had ticked email a notification. Thanks for the info. Got it working again.

Cheers

Mike

#14 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9417 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:11 AM

The forum never sent me a notification of an answer although I had ticked email a notification.

You've got to whitelist the email address, as they get directed straight to spam at the moment. The reason has been identified and it's being looked into as we speak.

#15 mykyl1966

mykyl1966

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:23 PM

The forum never sent me a notification of an answer although I had ticked email a notification.

You've got to whitelist the email address, as they get directed straight to spam at the moment. The reason has been identified and it's being looked into as we speak.

I had checked my spam and there was no email. (I even checked that the correct email address was assigned to my account.)

Cheers

Mike

#16 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9417 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:04 PM

I had checked my spam and there was no email. (I even checked that the correct email address was assigned to my account.)

It turns out there's a few email providers blocking them completely. They've now looked into the issue and made some adjustments, so hopefully emails will be getting through again.

#17 Griffinetsabine

Griffinetsabine

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 27 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:50 AM

Hi,

I'm running Game Maker 7 on a  Mac with OS 10.9, and I'm getting the same error:

"Failed to set data for "SoundDir".

Press OK to ignore and risk data corruption.

Press Cancel to kill the program."

The upper menu bar on the program is hidden, my preferences are set to zero, and the program crashes if I try to work on and save. I tried deleting the preferences, as suggested above, but it isn't helping.

It's really frustrating since I have been working on this game since July. I have done a clean install of my Mac's operating system, run Disk Utility, gone in and deleted all the preference files and folders I can find, but nothing seems to help.

Someone on another thread posted about going into the ~/.config folder, but I can't find it. Any other suggestions?

Can anyone please advise me on this? I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!

#18 Griffinetsabine

Griffinetsabine

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 27 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:45 AM

Hello, all:

Sorry to bump, but I solved the problem. The above fixes work for OS 10.8 and earlier, but 10.9 is a different story, apparently. It seems that OS X Mavericks has a more complex way of storing application preferences and whatnot. You can't just delete  the preference files, or even the cache files. This is how I fixed this really frustrating issue:

1. I used an app called Invisible to reveal the invisible files in my finder. 

2. I navigated to my user folder.

3. Inside the user folder I came across a folder called ".hello"

4. Looking inside this folder, I found two additional folders, one called Game Maker for Mac, and the other called Game_Maker

5. I deleted the .hello folder

6. Relaunching Game Maker, I find it actually runs better than it did before. Instead of crashing, it even very politely asks me if I'd like to run in Advanced Mode. Why, Thank you very much, Game Maker, I would like to run in Advanced Mode.

So there you have it. Four days of frustration solved (for the time being). The folks at YoYo Games should rename that mysterious folder .goodbye if you ask me.

I really hope this post helps anyone else who runs into this annoying issue.

#19 Ruub

Ruub

Finn The Human

• GMC Member
  • 627 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:45 AM

This just helped someone I know. So bump for other people <3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users