• This topic is locked This topic is locked
90 replies to this topic

#1 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:21 PM

Hello, I'm Brandon Orner, the President, Owner, Founder, Etc. of the game company ProGames™, which was started in 2010.
If you don't know about my company yet, check out the website: http://www.progamesusa.tk/

From there, you can also check out the facebook page and youtube channel.

If you would like to buy a game, email me on the website. I'll mail you the game after paying. If you are the first to buy the game, and would like to buy the soundtrack with it, you get the soundtrack 50% off. ONLY if you're the first to buy that game.

On my website, I have an AD up saying that I need another music composer. Contact me here, or on the site if you're interested.
Pay: The pay is, that for each game you would make music for, you get a free copy of the finished game, plus your name in the credits of course.

If you haven't heard about ProGames™, you're missing out! I'm here to make the best games!

Edited by ProGamesUSA™, 19 March 2012 - 10:46 PM.

#2 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:27 AM

As of February 7, 2012, if you haven't seen yet, the games released so far are:

-PixPac™ ($5.00)

-Speedy the Mouse™ ($10.00)

-Speedy the Mouse™ Sweetie Strikes Again ($12.00)

Questions? Contact Me on the ProGames™ website.

From time to time there will be polls on the website. Be sure to take those polls. :laugh:

#3 jtyler

jtyler

GMC Member

• 255 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:38 AM

If you're actualy going to sell games, I suggest you register a domain - progamesusa.com for example.

#4 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:02 AM

If you're actualy going to sell games, I suggest you register a domain - progamesusa.com for example.

Yeah I know. There are some game companies out there however, that have their websites in a free domain, such as Weebly.

For example, RabidMedia (http://www.rabidmedia.weebly.com/). RabidMedia is a subsidiary to ProGames™.

#5 kburkhart84

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games

• GMC Member
  • 1917 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:55 AM

Yeah I know. There are some game companies out there however, that have their websites in a free domain, such as Weebly.

For example, RabidMedia (http://www.rabidmedia.weebly.com/). RabidMedia is a subsidiary to ProGames™.

Do you know of any that ARE NOT subsidiary to ProGames™??

I'm not even selling any of my games just yet, but I have registered my firehammergames.com domain. Some people may not notice too much, but to anyone in the know(as far as internet/websites go), they will see the weebly there and the first impression will be very unprofessional. I'm paying about $7 per month, and I have unlimited traffic and webspace, so it isn't really much of an investment.

About the games themselves, I'm not buying them, honestly because they look like crap. I'm not trying to be rude, but those screenshots do not look like $10 games, or even $1 games for that matter. I can't judge the gameplay, but if you are going to expect to sell games, they have to look much more polished than that. Game Maker's 3d is not likely a good example of that, though it can be done, but Game Maker's 2d can be much better, especially for the casual games market.

I'm not trying to be negative, rather I'm trying to give an honest opinion, from my point of view. I wouldn't pay for those games, and I don't think I'd even download them for free. Game Dev is hard, so I don't blame you if you aren't capable of AAA graphics, heck I'm not. But I'm sure if you spend the time, add some polish, maybe you can get something better done. I think also what may not be helping much is that you advertise AMAZING games, and seriously, I couldn't find any. The game idea itself isn't so bad. I don't know many games where you are a mouse trying to avoid/kill mini-cats, except maybe "Rodent's Revenge" from way earlier windows days, like 3.1 I think :biggrin:

Anyway, good luck, and don't get down about my opinions. Use them to motivate yourself to do better.

#6 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:08 PM

I'm not even selling any of my games just yet, but I have registered my firehammergames.com domain. Some people may not notice too much, but to anyone in the know(as far as internet/websites go), they will see the weebly there and the first impression will be very unprofessional. I'm paying about $7 per month, and I have unlimited traffic and webspace, so it isn't really much of an investment.

About the games themselves, I'm not buying them, honestly because they look like crap. I'm not trying to be rude, but those screenshots do not look like $10 games, or even $1 games for that matter. I can't judge the gameplay, but if you are going to expect to sell games, they have to look much more polished than that. Game Maker's 3d is not likely a good example of that, though it can be done, but Game Maker's 2d can be much better, especially for the casual games market.

I'm not trying to be negative, rather I'm trying to give an honest opinion, from my point of view. I wouldn't pay for those games, and I don't think I'd even download them for free. Game Dev is hard, so I don't blame you if you aren't capable of AAA graphics, heck I'm not. But I'm sure if you spend the time, add some polish, maybe you can get something better done. I think also what may not be helping much is that you advertise AMAZING games, and seriously, I couldn't find any. The game idea itself isn't so bad. I don't know many games where you are a mouse trying to avoid/kill mini-cats, except maybe "Rodent's Revenge" from way earlier windows days, like 3.1 I think :biggrin:

Anyway, good luck, and don't get down about my opinions. Use them to motivate yourself to do better.

Sub-domains are just as professional as regular domains.

I do make AMAZING games, and if you play them, you would see.

Don't judge games by graphics. It's not all about graphics, it's about gameplay.
Those graphics in the 2 FAKE 3D GAMES I've released so far have amazing graphics!
I can produce amazing graphics.

These games are very polished. I work on them every single day!
Being a game dev really isn't hard... for me anyway. I've been programming for years and can get very professional, polished, long games done in a few days.
I let my imagination come out into every game I create.

It seems I forgot to mention, please NO negative things in this topic, ok?
If you're going to say something, don't be rude, alright?

#7 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21293 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

He was NOT being rude, nor was he being particularly negative... He was offering an opinion and has to be respected for that, especially as he explaind why he has that opinion and actually suggested ways that you could change it (by gettting a proper domain, for example). This is called "Constructive Criticism" and in no way is it negative to receive such a thing... In fact you should be pleased and grateful that someone has taken their time and made the effort to check out your site and give this feedback with the intention to help you, and if you aren't then you really aren't ready to post on a forum, let alone set up a site and sell your own games.

Remember, if you only wish to hear "Oh thats lovely" then go and only show it to your mum, but here in internet land you have take the rough with the smooth.

#8 jtyler

jtyler

GMC Member

• 255 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:03 PM

Yes. Even if you disagree with me or him, this is how we see it. It is also likely that many others will see it in the same way. How many sales have you made so far?

#9 kburkhart84

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games

• GMC Member
  • 1917 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:06 PM

Don't judge games by graphics. It's not all about graphics, it's about gameplay.
Those graphics in the 2 FAKE 3D GAMES I've released so far have amazing graphics!

Being a game dev really isn't hard... for me anyway. I've been programming for years and can get very professional, polished, long games done in a few days.

I'm sorry, but I can't see the polish, to be honest with you. And no, I've never seen a professional company selling games off of a free hosted subdomain(such as weebly). If you can show me one, it will be the first. Anyway, if you don't want my help or constructive criticism, that is your problem, and like Nocturne says, you really shouldn't have posted it.

About graphics vs. gameplay, I'm sorry, but although graphics isn't necessarily the most important thing, it DOES matter. You don't have to be an expert, but the graphics on display are not worthy of being sold, but I'm guessing you can be the judge of that, considering how many sales you have.

He was NOT being rude, nor was he being particularly negative... He was offering an opinion and has to be respected for that, especially as he explaind why he has that opinion and actually suggested ways that you could change it (by gettting a proper domain, for example). This is called "Constructive Criticism" and in no way is it negative to receive such a thing... In fact you should be pleased and grateful that someone has taken their time and made the effort to check out your site and give this feedback with the intention to help you, and if you aren't then you really aren't ready to post on a forum, let alone set up a site and sell your own games.

Remember, if you only wish to hear "Oh thats lovely" then go and only show it to your mum, but here in internet land you have take the rough with the smooth.

Agreed.

#10 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:15 AM

I'm sorry, but I can't see the polish, to be honest with you. And no, I've never seen a professional company selling games off of a free hosted subdomain(such as weebly). If you can show me one, it will be the first. Anyway, if you don't want my help or constructive criticism, that is your problem, and like Nocturne says, you really shouldn't have posted it.

About graphics vs. gameplay, I'm sorry, but although graphics isn't necessarily the most important thing, it DOES matter. You don't have to be an expert, but the graphics on display are not worthy of being sold, but I'm guessing you can be the judge of that, considering how many sales you have.

Agreed.

Well, everyone has their own opinion. If you guys, don't like Classic 3D games, that's you.
I stated my opinions, and I'm sticking with them. You have your opinions, I have mine.
Let's not argue about opinions, ok? Let's just get off the subject and back onto the real topic subject...

#11 kburkhart84

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games

• GMC Member
  • 1917 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:18 AM

That's fine with me...but the original post was an announcement of your website, where you are selling games. Usually, the only thing that can get discussed with that(since you didn't ask any questions) is that website, and in this case the games that are on said website, hence the discussion.

I didn't say anything about the music composer though, since I'm unable to help you there.

What exactly would you like us to discuss??

#12 GameDevDan

GameDevDan

YoYo Games Staff

• Administrators
  • 1212 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

Suggestions for improvements

• Your logo is kind of bad, along with the font used for the titles of all the news posts on the homepage. Try using smoother fonts for the webpage text like verdana or arial. I know it's nice to be unique, but the reason so many websites trust in similar looks / fonts is because the users like that look. it works.
  • Unless you have actually paid the relevant license fees and registered as a company, you shouldn't call yourself a company or use the "TM" symbol. There's nothing wrong with just declaring yourself a "team" or using your own name (take a look at this website as an example! http://www.andreasilliger.com/ )
  • Buying a .com really will help you.
  • Selling games individually by being emailed and then packaging them will become very hard on you if your business does ever take off. Plus people are too lazy for that. You need to implement some kind of Download system. (use BMT micro or something similar).

Edited by GameDevDan, 09 February 2012 - 02:28 PM.

#13 slam drago

slam drago

The slam drag

• 422 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:15 PM

Since your to cheap to get a .com domain, get a .tk domain. They are free and you look a bit more professional.

#14 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:26 PM

Since your to cheap to get a .com domain, get a .tk domain. They are free and you look a bit more professional.

@GameDevDan
I changed the logo to the newer logo, and changed the NEWS font.

I have been told by many companies, that ™ is free. It's ® that you pay to use.

As for downloading after buying, I recently got FastSpring. I'm trying to get that up soon.

@slam drago
Thanks. At least I can get rid of .weebly

I got it working, but the address at the top still says .weebly. The .tk address just takes me to the site.

Edited by ProGamesUSA™, 09 February 2012 - 10:15 PM.

#15 slam drago

slam drago

The slam drag

• 422 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:27 PM

@slam drago

I got it working, but the address at the top still says .weebly. The .tk address just takes me to the site.

Doesn't happen to me.

Also, you do need to register a trademark here:http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/process/index.jsp

Without that, your TM is useless.

And trademarking your games is useless, you need to copyright them and that is $50.

Edited by slam drago, 10 February 2012 - 10:30 PM.

#16 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:32 AM

@slam drago

Doesn't happen to me.

Also, you do need to register a trademark here:http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/process/index.jsp

And trademarking your games is useless, you need to copyright them and that is $50.

Got the .tk working.

And again, that's for ® (registered trademark).
© Copyright and trademark ™ are free. I've seen it on the net, and I've asked other game companies. They all said that. When you come up with an idea and make it public, it's copyrighted instantly, which says that it's your idea. Trademark shows that you own it. Registered trademark is the same as a trademark, but... registered.

Quote:
The registered trademark symbol, designated by ® (the circled "R"), is a symbol used to provide notice that the preceding mark is a trademark or service mark that has been registered with a national trademark office. In some countries, including China, it is against the law to use the registered trademark symbol for a mark that is not officially registered in any country.

Trademarks not officially registered are instead marked with the trademark symbol ™, while unregistered service marks are marked with the service mark symbol ℠. The proper manner to display these symbols is immediately following the mark in superscript style.
Unquote
Source: Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia....rademark_symbol)

Quote:
The © symbol followed by the publication date and copyright owner's name, is protected by copyright. A copyright notice is used as a deterrent against infringement, or as a notice that the owner intends on holding their claim to copyright.
Unquote
Source: Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia....opyright_notice)

It's registered trademarks that are paid for.

#17 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:34 AM

@slam drago

Doesn't happen to me.

Got the .tk working.

And again, that's for ® (registered trademark).
© Copyright and trademark ™ are free. I've seen it on the net, and I've asked other game companies. They all said that. When you come up with an idea and make it public, it's copyrighted instantly, which says that it's your idea. Trademark shows that you own it. Registered trademark is the same as a trademark, but... registered.

Quote:
The registered trademark symbol, designated by ® (the circled "R"), is a symbol used to provide notice that the preceding mark is a trademark or service mark that has been registered with a national trademark office. In some countries, including China, it is against the law to use the registered trademark symbol for a mark that is not officially registered in any country.

Trademarks not officially registered are instead marked with the trademark symbol ™, while unregistered service marks are marked with the service mark symbol ℠. The proper manner to display these symbols is immediately following the mark in superscript style.
Unquote
Source: Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia....rademark_symbol)

Quote:
The © symbol followed by the publication date and copyright owner's name, is protected by copyright. A copyright notice is used as a deterrent against infringement, or as a notice that the owner intends on holding their claim to copyright.
Unquote
Source: Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia....opyright_notice)

It's registered trademarks that are paid for.

So, nope, it's not useless. :)
Oops, didn't mean to reply again... meant to edit...
Anyway, see last reply... above this.

Edited by ProGamesUSA™, 11 February 2012 - 02:35 AM.

#18 slam drago

slam drago

The slam drag

• 422 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:58 PM

Copyrights are $35 for online registration. Normal registration is $50 (source: U.S. Copyright office http://www.copyright.gov/). I don't know about TMs but I doubt the US government would let anyone have anything for free. I can legally steal your games as long as they are not officially copyrighted.

EDIT: Done some reading on the copyrights/Trademarks and trademarks do not need to be registered, but it is recommended as you are officially recognized by the government. Trademarks are for recognizing the source of something, so you can trademark company logos/names. Copyrights MUST be registered and are only for goods, not sources.
So TMing your games does nothing. I can steal them
TMing your logo or company name does help because then I can't steal them.

In short, you can't be cheap and skimp on copyrighting your games, or someone will steal them.

Edited by slam drago, 11 February 2012 - 03:04 PM.

#19 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

Copyrights are $35 for online registration. Normal registration is $50 (source: U.S. Copyright office http://www.copyright.gov/). I don't know about TMs but I doubt the US government would let anyone have anything for free. I can legally steal your games as long as they are not officially copyrighted.

EDIT: Done some reading on the copyrights/Trademarks and trademarks do not need to be registered, but it is recommended as you are officially recognized by the government. Trademarks are for recognizing the source of something, so you can trademark company logos/names. Copyrights MUST be registered and are only for goods, not sources.

In short, you can't be cheap and skimp on copyrighting your games, or someone will steal them.

Found: "Note that copyright is automatic and happens from the simple act of creating a product. The moment you create something, it's protected by US copyright law."
This is what game companies have told me.

Also, there's poor man's copyright, where you mail it to yourself.

#20 slam drago

slam drago

The slam drag

• 422 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

Found: "Note that copyright is automatic and happens from the simple act of creating a product. The moment you create something, it's protected by US copyright law."

Link please. Won't believe it till I see it.

Edited by slam drago, 11 February 2012 - 03:46 PM.

#21 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21293 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:48 PM

In all countries where the Berne Convention standards apply, copyright is automatic, and need not be obtained through official registration with any government office. Once an idea has been reduced to tangible form, for example by securing it in a fixed medium (such as a drawing, sheet music, photograph, a videotape, or a computer file), the copyright holder is entitled to enforce his or her exclusive rights. However, while registration isn't needed to exercise copyright, in jurisdictions where the laws provide for registration, it serves as prima facie evidence of a valid copyright and enables the copyright holder to seek statutory damages and attorney's fees. (In the USA, registering after an infringement only enables one to receive actual damages and lost profits.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright

Posted Image

#22 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:54 PM

Link please. Won't believe it till I see it.

Copyright is a form of protection provided by the laws of the United States (Title 17 of the United States Code (17 USC - Copyrights)21) to the authors of original works of authorship including literary, dramatic, musical, artistic, and certain other intellectual works. (See also Title 37 Code of Federal Regulations (37 CFR, Chapter II)22, which implements this statute.) Copyright protection arises automatically once an original work of authorship is fixed in a tangible medium of expression, now known or later developed; e.g., written, filmed, recorded. It does not require that a copyright notice be placed on the work, that the work be published, or that the work be deposited or registered with the Copyright Office or any other body.
Source: http://www.cendi.gov...yright.html#211

http://www.copyright....com/copy-4.htm

http://en.wikipedia....man's_copyright
^(Poor Man's Copyright)

Since I created an original work, and mail them to myself in sealed envelopes, I'm protected by copyright law, as stated in many websites, govt sites, and other sites.
The moment an original work is made, it's copyrighted. :biggrin:

#23 slam drago

slam drago

The slam drag

• 422 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:54 PM

Okay. Thank you nocturne and PROGames USA for clearing that up.

Edited by slam drago, 11 February 2012 - 03:55 PM.

#24 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21293 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:58 PM

Since I created an original work, and mail them to myself in sealed envelopes, I'm protected by copyright law, as stated in many websites, govt sites, and other sites.
The moment an original work is made, it's copyrighted. :biggrin:

Not quite true... Ordinary mail is NOT enough. You really should use registered delivery mail so that there is certified proof (in the form of local postal receipts and records) that you have sent it when you say you have sent it. It's also a good idea to add a cutting or a page from the local newspaper that has the date on it too as that makes it even more difficult to dispute.

#25 jtyler

jtyler

GMC Member

• 255 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

I suggest that you offer a paid music composer something other than the game that they created the music for. That isn't much incentive for a paid composer.

#26 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:23 AM

I suggest that you offer a paid music composer something other than the game that they created the music for. That isn't much incentive for a paid composer.

That reminds me, the ad is no longer available, someone has taken it, and since I made the first post, we've figured out a payment method. So they don't just get the game, but $ too.

#27 jtyler

jtyler

GMC Member

• 255 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:50 AM

Oh, ok.

#28 GenoDoucette

GenoDoucette

BrokenIMG

• GMC Member
  • 974 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:09 PM

On your website.. how long are the games, and how much memory will the game take up? And, if you can tell me, how many games did you sell already?

#29 Terrified Virus

Terrified Virus

Moderators Plaything

• GMC Member
  • 753 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:37 PM

@slam drago

Doesn't happen to me.

No, copyrights are free. You can register a trademark, but you can also keep an unregistered trademark for free. His trademark is not useless, even if he has no copyright. I
don't see why everyone is criticizing this topic so much. His website isn't that bad, and when I made a website with a .weebly subdomain, I didn't get a single comment about it.

#30 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

@theepicgeno
Every game ProGames™, RabidMedia™, or GeoGames™ (me and my 2 subsidiaries)
create has many levels.

PixPac™ is over 50mb.
Speedy the Mouse™ and Speedy the Mouse™: Sweetie Strikes Again are over 100mb.

We are currently contacting Steam to have our games sold digitally.
Then, you will be able to get on Steam, buy our games, and download them. :biggrin:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users