#61 ChaosWormz

ChaosWormz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 90 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:42 PM

I highly doubt any of your work is actually protected under a trademark

I highly doubt he could even trademark these game names even if he wanted to especialy not "Brandon's Adventures" the name is to basic.

Edited by ChaosWormz, 01 May 2012 - 02:42 PM.

#62 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

As said over 3 times already in this topic, trademarks are FREE. Registered trademarks are not free. Everything is trademarked.
Brandon's Adventures is trademarked. It is the name of a series.
"BASIC"? It's not basic. Look at other names.
Mario - a person's name as the series name.
Medal of Honor - a name of a medal from the army.

In case you guys don't know, law says that if you steal content that someone else owns, you can be fined up to $150,000.

This topic isn't the govt. trademark FAQ. I've already said what trademarks are, and if you can't look back in the topic to see those answers, then that's pretty sad.
All of my stuff is trademarked.

My company name is perfectly fine. I have had that company name in mind since I was a little kid, and I'm using it as my company name.

I'm working on the site. I am only ONE person working on 3 games at once, ok?

I'm keeping .tk.

You know Visceral Games, makers of Dead Space? Their stuff is trademarked, too.

My things are trademarked and copyrighted, I'm keeping .tk. I'm not changing anything, end of subject.

Trademarks and copyrights are automatic, and are placed on original content when it is released.

Edited by ProGamesUSA™, 01 May 2012 - 08:52 PM.

#63 GenoDoucette

GenoDoucette

BrokenIMG

• GMC Member
  • 974 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:53 PM

As said over 3 times already in this topic, trademarks are FREE. Registered trademarks are not free. Everything is trademarked.
Brandon's Adventures is trademarked. It is the name of a series.
"BASIC"? It's not basic. Look at other names.
Mario - a person's name as the series name.
Medal of Honor - a name of a medal from the army.

In case you guys don't know, law says that if you steal content that someone else owns, you can be fined up to $150,000.

This topic isn't the govt. trademark FAQ. I've already said what trademarks are, and if you can't look back in the topic to see those answers, then that's pretty sad.
All of my stuff is trademarked.

My company name is perfectly fine. I have had that company name in mind since I was a little kid, and I'm using it as my company name.

I'm working on the site. I am only ONE person working on 3 games at once, ok?

I'm keeping .tk.

My things are trademarked and copyrighted, I'm keeping .tk. I'm not changing anything, end of subject.

calm down.

#64 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:58 PM

Sorry, it's just I've answered the question "What are trademarks and copyrights" over and over on this topic already. If something is trademarked, that means you came up with it, and you own it. I came up with and own all of my company's content, games, etc. So, therefore, everything is trademarked.

#65 GenoDoucette

GenoDoucette

BrokenIMG

• GMC Member
  • 974 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:58 PM

Sorry, it's just I've answered the question "What are trademarks and copyrights" over and over on this topic already. If something is trademarked, that means you came up with it, and you own it. I came up with and own all of my company's content, games, etc. So, therefore, everything is trademarked.

Then if everything is already trademarked, you don't have to put the trademark sign next to everything you make.

#66 MonkeyMaw

MonkeyMaw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 307 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

Like millions of other companies. It's normal to protect your properties. Do they plaster it over everything on the Visceral Games site though?

Haha. I applaud your efforts, but that information you posted does nothing but help you think everything is safe. I'd be upset if anyone took something of mine, but without a ton of money for legal action, there is nothing I could really do.

Well, never say never. I mean someone else owns ProGames. It was copyrighted in 2009.

Edited by MonkeyMaw, 01 May 2012 - 10:27 PM.

#67 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:20 PM

On your home page, your links to facebook/youtube. They aren't clickable.

Just remember websites have to have GM content, o.k? Your site just links to another of your site which has GM content...! :tongue:

Well, good luck. I think your heading in the right direction, but got lots of polishing to do, and lots to learn. Which is all part of the fun. :thumbsup:

#68 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:54 PM

@MonkeyMaw
That's PROgames.pro, which is just a fan site for news on other companies games.
That's a different name, because we are ProGames, that's PROgames.pro.

@Desert Dog
Thanks for the report, I'll make them clickable, one sec...

BTW, it's May 1st, and no one has contacted me about joining the contest,so if no ones contacts me soon to join the contest, I'll have to take the contest down and put the contest back up after the games' release.

Edited by ProGamesUSA™, 01 May 2012 - 10:57 PM.

#69 MonkeyMaw

MonkeyMaw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 307 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:56 PM

So I could use the name activision, since they spell it Activision? I could be yoyo games then? If that's true ... sweet!

EDIT: That was sarcasm, I'm sorry but I had to! Anyhow, good luck man. I'm not sure why I keep coming back to this thread, I'll stay away now.

Edited by MonkeyMaw, 01 May 2012 - 11:28 PM.

#70 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:59 PM

:dry: That's not what I meant...

Btw... how do you change the .tk favicon?

Edited by ProGamesUSA™, 02 May 2012 - 12:07 AM.

#71 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

.TK looks terrible still. I simply won't visit a .TK address. If the owner can't even invest a few dollars on a domain name, how can you expect any investment in the content or quality?

I use a .tk address...

That's probably why I've never visited your site :thumbsup:

Everything is trademarked.

So why bother throwing it in everyone's face? It looks unprofessional, which is ironically the opposite of what you're really trying to achieve with it.

In case you don't know, the law is not uniform all over the world. In many countries, including my own, intellectual property is automatically protected by copyright law! Putting "TM" all over everything won't stop people from stealing your work (and don't be so narcissistic), and it definitely won't help you in a court case. It's stupid and amateurish, because like you said:

I have had that company name in mind since I was a little kid

Enough said?

Whoa, no, not quite...

I'm keeping .tk.

WHY? :yucky: Is $10 for a proper domain really such a hassle? Aside from saving a few dollars, there is no logical reason to use a .TK, all it does is demonstrate you're not serious about your website, and that I (as your potential viewer!) should not take you seriously.

And before you have a fit of rage, remember you posted this topic in a forum where feedback is strongly encouraged. If you don't like it, let me know and I will close the topic. Listening to people's advice instead of shunning it is extremely valuable to you, even if you don't realize it (as you obviously don't ;)).

#72 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:14 PM

.Tk is the same as .com, the only difference is that it's free. I've seen many other indie game companies use free domains.
:biggrin:

Edit: I'll get a .com hopefully soon. :happy:

Edited by ProGamesUSA™, 02 May 2012 - 09:19 PM.

#73 MasterOfKings

MasterOfKings

The True Master

• GMC Member
  • 4888 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:19 PM

If you believe in this, your company isn't going to go far.

That's an incredibly loose definition of the law in reference to stealing. What is "content"? If your image is blue, and I change it to red, is it now mine? If your game is called Bob, and I rename it Bill, is it now mine?
Don't just shove TM next to everything and assume your products are safe.

WHY? :yucky: Is $10 for a proper domain really such a hassle? Aside from saving a few dollars, there is no logical reason to use a .TK, all it does is demonstrate you're not serious about your website, and that I (as your potential viewer!) should not take you seriously.

Yes. ;)
For me, I don't put any money into anything I make with GM; which is what my site is for. So, similarly, I don't put any money into the site. It's there for my interest, and mine alone.
However, for a commercial company, .tk definitely isn't recommended.

.Tk is the same as .com, the only difference is that it's free. I've seen many other indie game companies use free domains.

.tk has a tendency to be used by scam websites, so it's reasonable why some would be worried about visiting.

Btw... how do you change the .tk favicon?

Just google favicons. I really hope you don't use a website builder...

Ironic that I finished Dead Space 2 a couple of days ago...

Edited by MasterOfKings, 02 May 2012 - 11:28 PM.

#74 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:15 AM

@MasterofKings
That's what a tm is. It's to show that you came up with the content and you own it.
Original ideas and content have the tm symbol to show that that person created it.

My stuff is trademarked because I came up with that stuff and it's all original.

#75 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:27 AM

And that's enough, guys. You've told him your thoughts on the TM's. He's responded. Several times.
Discussion on the web design is meant to be kept to a minimum in this forum.

#76 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:41 AM

Thanks.

If anyone is interested, we need the following very soon:
- music composer (can produce games suited for cartoon games)

- cover art designer (can draw excellent artwork for cds and cd cases)

-video editor and 2d animator (can produce good game trailers and 2d animation for cartoon intros to games)

-voice actor (female)
Please post a sample. Just something short.

Message me or send an email. ::lmao::

#77 Terrified Virus

Terrified Virus

Moderators Plaything

• GMC Member
  • 753 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:02 AM

Honestly, all of you other people are being jerks. No offense to anyone, but you are. Who really cares if he uses a .tk or a TM? What if he is a kid and can't make online purchases yet? Besides, most people don't even know what .tk's are, and that they are free. You normally have to get into the technology industry to learn about that. And for the record, trademarks are free.

#78 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:07 AM

Who really cares if he uses a .tk or a TM?

Everyone that has commented about it obviously?

This forum is about providing feedback to web developers. The general consensus is that this site/brand would be improved by not looking so amateurish. Don't call people jerks for that - that's just idiotic.

#79 MonkeyMaw

MonkeyMaw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 307 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:34 AM

Honestly, all of you other people are being jerks. No offense to anyone

Honestly, you are coming off like a jerk. No offense though. As far as I know, and as True mentioned, most here were providing the criticism that this forum is meant for. There is some good criticisms here and most of them are warranted. Some of it got out of hand but the OP seemed to refuse the advice given so it's not entirely unexpected. Seems like you missed reading any of that.

Who really cares if he uses a .tk or a TM?

The .tk things matters not to some of us and those who had a problem with it specified their reasons. That's not to mean anyone in particular is right or wrong, it was all merely opinion, criticism if you will. The TM thing wasn't about having something trademarked. If you actually read the posts here, most agreed that is was just the shear number of TMs and Copyrights plastered over everything. It wasn't about him actually having a trademark or copyright, everyone is entitled. Again a failure to read.

And for the record, trademarks are free.

That's been mentioned int this thread many times and is common knowledge. Again a failure to read.

Desert Dog asked everyone to stop and we did, about 7 days ago. I can't see why you decided to ignore that post as well. Again a failure to read.

#80 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:12 AM

Desert Dog asked everyone to stop and we did, about 7 days ago. I can't see why you decided to ignore that post as well. Again a failure to read.

It's just that this forum doesn't allow excessive discussion over web design. See here:

Discussion should focus on content relevant to GM, but may include some comments about appearance and design.
Excessive discussion dealing ONLY with appearance/design may be removed. This is NOT a website design forum.

Some members have more than said their say about certain aspects of the design. That's great, and we appreciate feedback given on this forum, but they 'can' go a little far chatting about it. And I don't want to have to clean up posts if I can help it.

But just because some members have kept going on about it, doesn't mean that I suddenly shut you ALL up about it! Others are free to comment with their thoughts about the design, (or the pressing TM/.tk issue!) And that's all good, just not another ARGUMENT about it, please! :thumbsup:

#81 Guma

Guma

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

Okay, let's discuss some some aspects of your webpage that mostly get me stuck within.
Copyrights
Your so called "ProGames" copyright does not hold a real purposse of your game ownery, there's no more detailed information about what kind of copyright is it. Why you may need those?
Because you hold the same license. You hold the same game. If anyone shares a copy of it, what will you do? How we'll will you get out of the situation without a good aknowledgement on internet privacy laws, acts? As for this situation, i suggest you to use Creative Commons.
It's simply one click away to put up a picture to make people believe, popular websites and companies use the same type of protection and copyright.
Site navigation
It appears you use two diffrent websites, one for store and one for navigation right? We'll it's unproffesional. It might be hard for older browser platforms to load up one webpage and then load another one again, the link is diffrent and it gets messy. Both of the services might be messy to work with, you will have to edit from one page to other and so backwards to update both.
Can't you just put up the content in the same navigation bar?
Site service
Never use Weebly or Webs for website creation, they will never fit to company standarts (and it's always visible if the webpage use the service)
Game graphics
I am fine within the gameplay, it's all good, but what makes the games epic? GRAPHICS. It's an eye candy. You have to get it to make players enjoying the gameplay, graphics also shine the style of the game. What i see right now is a bunch of games kiddy drawen with Paint.
Game designer
Now that's all you need. Don't get too fast, getting a Game Designer is hard. The Game Designer has to understand what you wan't, and how you wan't the game to look.
He also can ask you to pay for hes job, so it might be tricky. Try to friend with designer, make a friendship and spend time with him, play hes favourite games, discuss about them, just make him to trust you, and so he might forget about payment at all?

Lastly, no need to over-helm on every criticism, we try to help! :)

#82 Jobo

Jobo

Freelancer

• Local Moderators
  • 2770 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

I'm gonna make this post very short, and just bring up my conclusions;

1. Never on Earth will I download let alone purchase something from a site that looks like yours - terribly unprofessional design in all ways.
2. Your "progamesstore.tk" address gives a proxy error when trying to connect.
3. I've never seen a ".tk" address before. Shows just how unused it is. Why did you pick .tk?

Keep going, someday you'll have a really great website, if you listen to all the feedback and use it :turned:

#83 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:00 AM

The site will be worked on more, and the store with move back onto the company site hopefully soon.

Creative Commons License is for stuff that isn't commercial, and it states what you're allowed to do with that non-commercial free stuff.
I haven't seen companies use CC because it's not used for commercial, copyrighted, trademarked stuff.

Game companies put a license called a EULA in the readme of the games and softwares. That's what we did. We'll soon post it on the site as well under terms of use.

Edited by ProGamesUSA™, 11 May 2012 - 01:09 AM.

#84 MasterOfKings

MasterOfKings

The True Master

• GMC Member
  • 4888 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:20 AM

It's just that this forum doesn't allow excessive discussion over web design. See here:

Honestly, that seems like a bit of a stupid rule. I can understand if by "excessive" it means something like talking about the colour of one picture for 30 posts... but the whole design? If you present a website to a forum full of critics just waiting to dig their teeth in, you should expect a lot of discussion about the content and design of the website. Ways you can improve, and the like. If we're not allowed to talk much about that, what can we say?

3. I've never seen a ".tk" address before. Shows just how unused it is. Why did you pick .tk?

Speaking for myself only, because .tk is free. To me, website.tk looks better than website.host.com.

Game companies put a license called a EULA in the readme of the games and softwares. That's what we did. We'll soon post it on the site as well under terms of use.

Who reads End User License Agreements these days? ;)

#85 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:45 AM

Honestly, that seems like a bit of a stupid rule. I can understand if by "excessive" it means something like talking about the colour of one picture for 30 posts... but the whole design? If you present a website to a forum full of critics just waiting to dig their teeth in, you should expect a lot of discussion about the content and design of the website. Ways you can improve, and the like. If we're not allowed to talk much about that, what can we say?

Talk about the GM content, that's what this forum is about. That content is the sole reason these website are allowed to be posted here. Members aren't interested in webdesign.. they are interested in GM content. There are other places to discuss web design on the internet, this forum's about GM.

Your last question sums this forum up, actually. This isn't really a discussion forum. People announce their websites. Members can browse and comment. Big discussions are out of place here.

Edited by Desert Dog, 11 May 2012 - 09:46 AM.

#86 MasterOfKings

MasterOfKings

The True Master

• GMC Member
  • 4888 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:58 AM

.tk domains are free? Really? Huh.. A "company" with a free domain. I'm just gonna turn around and walk away slowly

Yup. I said a while back, it would be discouraged to use .tk for commercial purposes. Especially considering .tk is blacklisted a lot.

I only read the "Accept and Continue" button

You're not the only one.

#87 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:32 PM

I haven't been on here lately, but to keep everyone up to date, the following is going on:

- Speedy the Mouse™ and Speedy the Mouse™: Sweetie Strikes Again are getting redone graphics and will be available again shortly.

- The company site is being redone from scratch and will soon be finished with a .com domain.

- GeoGames, David's company that started as a subsidiary to my company has become defunct before it started. He shut down his company because he doesn't know a whole lot of programming, so the Hooper™ and Fallo™ game series were passed on to ProGames™ and development will begin on them after Brandon's Adventures™ is released this Summer/Fall.

#88 ash47

ash47

O_o

• GMC Member
  • 1344 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:00 PM

Please buy a domain name, .tk domains always look really dodgy, you get all that malware and generally bad stuff coming from .tk ....

#89 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:26 PM

Please buy a domain name, .tk domains always look really dodgy, you get all that malware and generally bad stuff coming from .tk ....

Look a few posts up. I said I'm almost done redoing the site from scratch and it'll have a .com domain.

Btw, nice poll in your signature. :thumbsup:

#90 NicroGames

NicroGames

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 300 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

...I'm almost done redoing the site from scratch...

That's a good idea. Remember to change the color scheme though, the previous version was not nice to look at. Another font would be in place too, as the current one looks childish and un-proffesional IMO.

Edited by NicroGames, 31 May 2012 - 12:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users