ProGames™: Expanding the Horizons

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
90 replies to this topic

#31 Psalms23

Psalms23

GMC Member

• 163 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:28 AM

Hey man, you have a nice idea here and a good enthusiasm for business.

I abolsutely recomend getting a domain name.. they can be as cheap as $1.50 if you get a godaddy code.

Trust me, a domain.weebly.com site is not professional and anyone who is thinking of buying will be put off by this. Also, the idea of buying and then having you email them the game is not professional.

You can get ecommerce software that allows it to work so that when someone pays, they automatically get emailed a download link which expires after a certain amount of time. For this, try http://www.e-junkie.com/ << This service will be about $5 a month, but there might be free solutions around, I'm not sure.

Also, you will need hosting (Actually I think weebly might allow you to point your domain there for free- that means you pay less then $10 for a domain and it lasts for a whole year.

If you add these professional options you could start something really good here and if you advertise it right you might be alot of sales. Good luck.

#32 GenoDoucette

GenoDoucette

BrokenIMG

• GMC Member
  • 988 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:06 PM

@theepicgeno
Every game ProGames™, RabidMedia™, or GeoGames™ (me and my 2 subsidiaries)
create has many levels.

PixPac™ is over 50mb.
Speedy the Mouse™ and Speedy the Mouse™: Sweetie Strikes Again are over 100mb.

We are currently contacting Steam to have our games sold digitally.
Then, you will be able to get on Steam, buy our games, and download them. :biggrin:

Ok, great. But how many of your games did people buy?

#33 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

@Psalms23
Oops, forgot to change the link on here. I got my own domain.
We're setting up at store at the moment.

@theepicgeno
I need to get the store set up first.

#34 Terrified Virus

Terrified Virus

Moderators Plaything

• GMC Member
  • 753 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:20 PM

whats with all the criticism? his website isnt that bad. I have made worse and people didn't fill my topic with rudeness.

#35 beatson

beatson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 319 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

You should definitely reconsider using a free web builder. Not only is it unprofessional, it's very unattractive. if you're going to sell your games online and be successful, you need to show your potential customers that you're devoted to the product you're selling. A free domain name and host alongside poor design is heading in the opposite direction. As I have already posted in another topic, you should take time to learn the skills needed to build a decent looking website that functions according to your needs (in this case, an eCommerce system). Things don't happen overnight, you can't slap a (probably not trademarked) name on a free host/website builder, cover it with a free .tk domain name and then expect people to buy from it - it just doesn't work like that.

#36 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

You should definitely reconsider using a free web builder. Not only is it unprofessional, it's very unattractive. if you're going to sell your games online and be successful, you need to show your potential customers that you're devoted to the product you're selling. A free domain name and host alongside poor design is heading in the opposite direction. As I have already posted in another topic, you should take time to learn the skills needed to build a decent looking website that functions according to your needs (in this case, an eCommerce system). Things don't happen overnight, you can't slap a (probably not trademarked) name on a free host/website builder, cover it with a free .tk domain name and then expect people to buy from it - it just doesn't work like that.

The design of our websites are very good. We have been working on them and have changed them around a little. We are working on the gamestore.
Weebly and .tk are very good things and are used by many other companies out there.
It didn't happen overnight. We have been very busy working on our sites, the store, and a few very big games to be released MAYBE (don't know just yet) this Summer.

My company name and its games are trademarked.
The trademarks and copyrights were discussed above.
Please read before posting.

#37 beatson

beatson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 319 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:06 PM

The design of our websites are very good. We have been working on them and have changed them around a little. We are working on the gamestore.
Weebly and .tk are very good things and are used by many other companies out there.
It didn't happen overnight. We have been very busy working on our sites, the store, and a few very big games to be released MAYBE (don't know just yet) this Summer.

My company name and its games are trademarked.
Please read before posting.

You're obviously unwilling to take constructive criticism, so I guess I'll make this my last post in the topic going through a few things I disagree with.

"The design of our websites are very good" - Presuming we're looking at the same website, I'd like to know how you came about this conclusion. You have a black background, a blurry logo and zero content design (along with a bad choice of font in some places.) The games store is better, but could do with some work below the header.

"Weebly and .tk are very good things and are used by many other companies out there" - I refuse to go into why a .tk domain name is not something an established (and by the looks of it, dedicated) company use, especially since .com domains are so cheap these days, along with hosting! Which leads me onto Weebly. I can't for the life of me understand the hype behind it, or why anyone would think using it is a professional choice to make for an established company.

"My company name and its games are trademarked.
Please read before posting." - I didn't read the above posts, but my initial impression from your website was that your company was more than likely NOT trademarked. What does this say about your website?

#38 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:15 AM

1.Black and green are the company colors.

2.The logo was resized on the website, made bigger. It's not blurry.

3.I've seen alot of .tks and weebly users. They are very good things that alot of companies use.

Some things about your site:
-you have black backgrounds, too.
-you have no logo at all.
Just saying...

Company sites are supposed to be simple. Would you rather it have rainbows all over it and every letter be a different color? XD That would be too much.
For examples:
-gamestop - 2 main colors (red and black) and plain white background
-nintendo - 2 main colors (red and white) and plain white background
etc. etc.

You must not think they're trademarked?
I'm just pointing out that company sites are simple, with a few chosen colors to match the company.

#39 beatson

beatson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 319 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:51 AM

3.I've seen alot of .tks and weebly users. They are very good things that alot of companies use.

Just saying...

Company sites are supposed to be simple. Would you rather it have rainbows all over it and every letter be a different color? XD That would be too much.
For examples:
etc. etc.

I'm just pointing out that company sites are simple, with a few chosen colors to match the company.

You clearly don't have a clue. Put your site next to the ones you mentioned (yes, mine too) and compare. If after you've done that you still don't see any differences, then there is simply no helping you.

#40 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:25 AM

Just saying...

For examples:
etc. etc.

You clearly don't have a clue. Put your site next to the ones you mentioned (yes, mine too) and compare. If after you've done that you still don't see any differences, then there is simply no helping you.

My site looks like a company site. Yeah, they have a slideshow of ads on their home page. That's the only difference.

I think my site looks good.

I see why not many companies have gmc accounts. This whole topic has been me explaining to people what trademarks and copyrights are, and what company websites are, etc.

ProGames™ is an indie game company run by 1 person, Brandon Orner.
GeoGames™ (ProGames™ subsidiary) is run by 1 person, David Wright.
We are 2 people. Just like 2dBoy. http://2dboy.com/

Edited by ProGamesUSA™, 04 April 2012 - 01:39 AM.

#41 Orbitguy

Orbitguy

UNS Lead Guy

• GMC Member
  • 348 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:49 AM

I like how everything has a TM next to it. lol

In all honesty, I think there are too many. It sort of makes the page look weird.

Other than that, I think the .tk domain is fine. People will flip out at you who are in the buisness, but as long as it's not .freewebs or .weebly who cares.

You use a lot of different colors on your page, some overall color scheme might be wise but it's not really nessecary seeing as you're an indie game company.

#42 beatson

beatson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 319 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:54 AM

My site looks like a company site. Yeah, they have a slideshow of ads on their home page. That's the only difference.

I think my site looks good.

I see why not many companies have gmc accounts. This whole topic has been me explaining to people what trademarks and copyrights are, and what company websites are, etc.

ProGames™ is an indie game company run by 1 person, Brandon Orner.
GeoGames™ (ProGames™ subsidiary) is run by 1 person, David Wright.
We are 2 people. Just like 2dBoy. http://2dboy.com/

And on that note, good luck with your company :thumbsup:

#43 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:10 AM

NEWS
Apr. 4, 2012

3 games are in development to be released this summer!
They are available for pre-order.

Fallo™ - puzzle game

Brandon's Adventures™ - platformer

Check them out on the store!

Edited by ProGamesUSA™, 25 April 2012 - 12:27 AM.

#44 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:16 AM

NEWS
Apr. 4, 2012

Fallo™ - puzzle game

NEWS
Apr. 10, 2012

A contest is on! Until June 1st! Check it out on the site!

Edited by ProGamesUSA™, 25 April 2012 - 12:27 AM.

#45 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:28 AM

Since your to cheap to get a .com domain, get a .tk domain. They are free and you look a bit more professional.

.TK looks terrible still. I simply won't visit a .TK address. If the owner can't even invest a few dollars on a domain name, how can you expect any investment in the content or quality?

That said, I typically feel the same way about seeing a .webs or .weebly domain, or any sub domain hosting service in the same style.

I've used Weebly in the past and it's a fantastic service, but I forked out that $100 to get rid of the branding and get a proper domain, and so far my Weebly sites have had over 1 million hits combined.

Sub domain hosting services look unprofessional. Put some effort and money into hiding that, at the least.

#46 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:34 AM

Since your to cheap to get a .com domain, get a .tk domain. They are free and you look a bit more professional.

.TK looks terrible still. I simply won't visit a .TK address. If the owner can't even invest a few dollars on a domain name, how can you expect any investment in the content or quality?

That said, I typically feel the same way about seeing a .webs or .weebly domain, or any sub domain hosting service in the same style.

I've used Weebly in the past and it's a fantastic service, but I forked out that $100 to get rid of the branding and get a proper domain, and so far my Weebly sites have had over 1 million hits combined.

Sub domain hosting services look unprofessional. Put some effort and money into hiding that, at the least.

Yeah, we will be getting a .com domain instead, hopefully soon. .tks are... eh.

#47 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:58 PM

About a month until the end of the contest! So get ready to submit your fanart soon if you're in the contest!

#48 GenoDoucette

GenoDoucette

BrokenIMG

• GMC Member
  • 988 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:03 AM

NEWS
Apr. 4, 2012

Fallo™ - puzzle game
Call of the Dead™ - classic horror fps

Just saying... but Call of the Dead is a call of duty mini game.... So you shouldnt ™ that..

#49 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:29 AM

NEWS
Apr. 4, 2012

Fallo™ - puzzle game
Call of the Dead™ - classic horror fps

Just saying... but Call of the Dead is a call of duty mini game.... So you shouldnt ™ that..

Yeah I saw that, so that won't be its real name. I haven't really started on the zombie game yet. I'm working on other games at the moment to be released in Summer.

But anyway, remember the contest ends on June 1st! Check out the contest on the site, and draw! :thumbsup:
There are 0 contestants so far, so everyone who wants to enter, send an email on the site!

Edited by ProGamesUSA™, 25 April 2012 - 12:37 AM.

#50 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:41 PM

1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners in the contest will have a bonus with the poster! If they are going to buy Brandon's Adventures™ they will get it 50% off. Estimated price at the moment will be $10.00. Decided price will be announced closer to release.

Now on the store you can choose: CD or digital.
CD - You will receive the game by mail. There is $1.00 added for shipping to the price.
Digital - You will receive the game by email with a password to unlock your copy.

#51 MonkeyMaw

MonkeyMaw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 307 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:36 AM

Let me be 100% honest here. I can appreciate the effort you have put into the site, the store, and even into the games. After really taking a look at everything, even the youtube videos, I can only conclude that you are a young person with big aspirations and very little knowledge with this stuff. The following is merely opinion and my firm stance on why this is all so hard to take seriously.

First, you have everything trademarked, copyrighted, and terms of use everywhere. I believe that one should protect their intellectual property, but I believe it could be over done, as in this case. It's interesting to me that you linked to 2DBoy. To me they are considered professional independent game developers. With that said, I'd like you to count all the trademarks and copyright symbols on their website, related to either their name and or games. I think I spotted one! I just think that if you are going to try to be professional, then start by examining how real professionals do things. Littering everything with trademarks and copyrights does nothing but show an incredible amount of entitlement and paranoia.

Second, the website seems to be based on how great Brandon Orner is, and not about what the site is intended to be for, which is games. Sure you have some pictures of some games. There are no demos and I had to search around on youtube to even find any videos. The about page really needs work. It's just odd to refer to yourself in the third person and then to discuss how "He" knows this and that. I'm not going to say the design is bad at all. I've seen far worse.

Third, it's great that you are making the games and the art solo, but I think you need more practice. The screens make the games look very low quality and while I can safely agree that sometimes gameplay out weighs graphics, I cannot see this with these games. I've seen the play-throughs and it looks as if you have just learned GameMaker and you are excited to throw everything you make out there! I'm not sure how you can logically believe that people will buy these games without playing a demo or seeing some video etc. After watching you play-through those two games and even seeing the same ending screen in both games, I realized that this is all either a joke, or just an attempt to make a few bucks.

I've read every post here and I understand you do not take constructive criticism well. That's fine and if you wish to ignore my post as well, you have a right to do so. However, people are sharing their opinions and criticisms to help you. I do wish you the best of luck and if you can take some our advice and rectify a few things, I may even visit your site again :)

Edited by MonkeyMaw, 28 April 2012 - 03:40 AM.

#52 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:05 AM

The company site is for the games and the people (the whole company). The store is for the games only.

I'll use less tm symbols xD. Got carried away.

I've been programming for years and am very experienced at gm, c++, quickbasic, visualbasic, and java.
I think the screenshots look good. I may upload new trailers though.

I am a young adult who started his own company.

We are very professional. Btw, I'll try to get some demos up soon.

Those two playthroughs were the same game. That game has 3 minigames with 2 modes. The ending screen was the screen for when you get past the game in one mode.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Btw, by screens did you mean the cover art for the games on the site?
If anyone is interested, we could use a cover art designer now that we're selling CD copies of games.

Edited by ProGamesUSA™, 28 April 2012 - 04:13 AM.

#53 MonkeyMaw

MonkeyMaw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 307 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:22 AM

I've been programming for years and am very experienced at gm, c++, quickbasic, visualbasic, and java.

I'm sorry Brandon but to be honest, it's irrelevant. John Carmack is very experienced. He does not run around talking about how good he is though, he lets his games do the talking.

I think the screenshots look good.

Fair enough. If those screens represent the best you can do and you think they are effectively showing the quality of the game, then all good. Let's just hope customers feel the same way. If they don't, then you your sales will reflect that.

Those two playthroughs were the same game.

Oh you're right, I apologize for that error!

Thanks for your suggestions.

Anytime. I'm sure you didn't want to hear it all, but I'm just trying to help :)

#54 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:26 AM

So if anyone is interested in being a cover art designer, reply here or send an email!

#55 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

A demo is now available on the store! Check it out!

#56 GameGeisha

GameGeisha

GameGeisha

• GMC Member
  • 4373 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:45 AM

You are clearly nowhere as professional as you think you are.

When I downloaded the demo, the first thing I noticed is the ad-supported host. As a professional company, you should either pay to get rid of the ad screens or use another host that doesn't have them, because they unnecessarily cheapen you from a business perspective. As MonkeyMaw already said, go look at a few websites belonging to real professional game companies and see the difference.

After downloading the demo, the link that your installer dropped on my start menu doesn't even work. Then I navigated to the install directory and realized that you misspelled the target in the start menu link. I should not have had to troubleshoot this --- had I been a real customer, you would have just lost a potential sale.

When I opened the readme.txt to get a feel for how the game works, I just had to wonder if you have ever read a proper EULA in your whole life. It reeked of inflated egos, and demonstrated a total lack of business sense and maturity. Just to give a taste of it for other readers of this topic:

Stealing, Copying, Uploading to the internet, and making illegal copies of a commercial
game IS ILLEGAL!!! DO NOT DO IT!!!

Come on. If you were 8, I would think this is somewhat cute and righteous. But as a young adult, this looks pompous and foolish --- you should have used more appropriate vocabulary and writing styles to express this idea, especially now that you are in a business environment.

Then I started playing the game. The graphics demonstrate a complete ignorance for colour theory --- most of the in-game text camouflaged right into the background, the HUD was a strain to look at and the background texture hides bottomless pits until I was right next to the edge. The gameplay is a familiar Mario-Kart-ish style, but the physics were very poorly executed, and the controls were not documented nor taught in-game.

Stop using "classic" and "retro" as a crutch for producing poorly made games and handling business badly. That excuse is getting as old as the one with the dog having homework for breakfast. Being young does not absolve you of responsibilities to learn about and honour what the market demands of you.

GameGeisha

#57 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:45 AM

Thanks for reporting about FileDropper and it's issues. I'll be choosing another way to get demos to the people.

Thanks for the bug report. However, I think Speedy the Mouse 1 and 2 may be redone with updated HD-ish graphics.

The readmes will be re-written as a regular EULA.

I have been planning on redoing Speedy the Mouse 1 and 2, so check back soon for the NEW redone version of those 2 games!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, I'm looking for 2 people:

-Someone who is a good artist (for cover art design)
-Someone who is good at video editing and video animation (for trailers)
Send an email or reply here if interested.

Edited by ProGamesUSA™, 29 April 2012 - 02:52 AM.

#58 Sir

Sir

Jedi Poodoo

• GMC Member
  • 384 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

Ok, I'm sorry, but I was wandering the GMC and saw your post. I decided to take a look at your site, ya know, why not?

1) This has already been said before, why so many TM markers?
2) This has also been said before, the screenys look cruddy.
3) This hasnt been said before. I went to your site, then had to go to ANOTHER site just to get to your store. Why?
4) Host the download links on your site, perhaps?

#59 ProGames™ Company

ProGames™ Company

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

1) I'm going to use less. Working on it.
2)Speedy the Mouse, and Speedy the Mouse SSA are being redone (new graphics)
so new screenshots will be put up on the day of its re-release. I'm working on the graphics.
3) I'm organizing the company site, at the moment, and when I'm done, the store will be moved back onto the company site, ok?

#60 MasterOfKings

MasterOfKings

The True Master

• GMC Member
  • 4888 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:25 PM

Firstly, the TM is ridiculous. I highly doubt any of your work is actually protected under a trademark. Get rid of it.

Stealing, Copying, Uploading to the internet, and making illegal copies of a commercial
game IS ILLEGAL!!! DO NOT DO IT!!!

I'm no expert, but unless you've paid to protect your work, people can do whatever they want. Although, you may have automatic intellectual property protection.. but that won't go far for your company.

Secondly, your site's colour scheme could do with an overhaul. It's not terribly impressive. Plus, your store page uses way too many colours. Some of your links aren't even links. The store could do with being something like store.progamesusa.tk, rather than a completely different url. I would like to also point out that progames looks like programs spelled incorrectly (albeit, you can't really fix that).
I recommend actually looking into making your own site (I'm assuming you used a website builder), as it'll give you a bit more control. I did offer free web development myself, in case your interested (if so, go here - not advertising, I'm just making an offer). Plus, GET A FAVICON. Using the dot tk one makes the site look heavily unfinished.

I'm not sure that your site sells your game very well. Actually getting to any sort of download, or purchase link was very difficult (there's a demo to [some of] these games?). The site titles aren't done (Speedy Mouse page title was down as Home).

Overall, your site is both unfinished and difficult to use.

I use a .tk address... Although, anything that ends up being available will only ever be free.

Edited by MasterOfKings, 01 May 2012 - 02:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users