5 replies to this topic

#1 csanyk

csanyk

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 457 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:39 PM

I'd like to host Game Maker HTML5 games on a web site built with WordPress. Is there/will there be a plug-in for Wordpress that will enable me to easily manage pages with Game Maker HTML5 code?

#2 GM Studios

GM Studios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 190 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:34 AM

I'd like to host Game Maker HTML5 games on a web site built with WordPress. Is there/will there be a plug-in for Wordpress that will enable me to easily manage pages with Game Maker HTML5 code?

The way i do it is by using a program named Filezilla then you can upload the files to where you like providing you have access to do so. Are you using a free wordpress blog? If so then I'm not entirely sure you'd be able to host them and may have to find somewhere else.

If not then you need to set up an ftp account after you've done so you enter the details of the server including user name and password. (some hosts can create a handy little .xml file which you can just import into Filezilla after its pretty much just a matter of locating where you want the files to go and just dragging and dropping :).

If you mean a simple upload feature like the one on the Wordpress dashboard then no there's not and very much doubt YoYo or anyone will make one since there already methods out there.

Edited by GM Studios, 02 February 2012 - 12:42 AM.

#3 csanyk

csanyk

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 457 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:59 PM

The way i do it is by using a program named Filezilla then you can upload the files to where you like providing you have access to do so. Are you using a free wordpress blog? If so then I'm not entirely sure you'd be able to host them and may have to find somewhere else.

If not then you need to set up an ftp account after you've done so you enter the details of the server including user name and password. (some hosts can create a handy little .xml file which you can just import into Filezilla after its pretty much just a matter of locating where you want the files to go and just dragging and dropping :).

If you mean a simple upload feature like the one on the Wordpress dashboard then no there's not and very much doubt YoYo or anyone will make one since there already methods out there.

Thanks, I know how to upload files with ftp :)

What I'm looking for is a way to put the game inside a Wordpress page or Wordpress blog post entry. This is trickier than it sounds, because Wordpress builds HTML pages, and the HTML built by GM:HTML5 is written in such a way that it would interfere if you simply pasted the html code from the index.html into a Page or Post and clicked Publish. I've gotten it to work, but it's a bit ugly (the div that GM:HTML5 puts your game's <canvas> element into is positioned with "fixed", meaning it won't scroll with the rest of the page. Ideally, I'd like to install a Wordpress plug-in and then upload the html5game directory, and then using the plug-in, insert the correct <canvas> and <script> code to make the game run inside a Post or Page.

Currently, what I'm doing is uploading the GM:HTML5 game files to a different directory on my site, and then using a hyperlink on my Wordpress blog entry to take the reader to the game's index.html page. It'd be nicer if I could have it displayed directly within Wordpress, and I'd prefer not to use an <iframe> to do it.

#4 iSeiren

iSeiren

www.worrall.pw

• GMC Member
  • 613 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

Thanks, I know how to upload files with ftp :)

What I'm looking for is a way to put the game inside a Wordpress page or Wordpress blog post entry. This is trickier than it sounds, because Wordpress builds HTML pages, and the HTML built by GM:HTML5 is written in such a way that it would interfere if you simply pasted the html code from the index.html into a Page or Post and clicked Publish. I've gotten it to work, but it's a bit ugly (the div that GM:HTML5 puts your game's <canvas> element into is positioned with "fixed", meaning it won't scroll with the rest of the page. Ideally, I'd like to install a Wordpress plug-in and then upload the html5game directory, and then using the plug-in, insert the correct <canvas> and <script> code to make the game run inside a Post or Page.

Currently, what I'm doing is uploading the GM:HTML5 game files to a different directory on my site, and then using a hyperlink on my Wordpress blog entry to take the reader to the game's index.html page. It'd be nicer if I could have it displayed directly within Wordpress, and I'd prefer not to use an <iframe> to do it.

Unless you write your own plugin, iFrame will be the only way to do it.

What's wrong with iframes? Not everything has to be fancy coding.

#5 csanyk

csanyk

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 457 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:48 AM

iframes work, but are limited. If someone looks at the page source, they can see the src= for the iframe. Then they may just bookmark the page and go there directly, which means that my wordpress stats will fail to pick up the hits, and I won't have a true idea of how many people are playing the game. I can use awstats to track it, but it'd be nicer if I could just have one place to look at for stats.

#6 iSeiren

iSeiren

www.worrall.pw

• GMC Member
  • 613 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

iframes work, but are limited. If someone looks at the page source, they can see the src= for the iframe. Then they may just bookmark the page and go there directly, which means that my wordpress stats will fail to pick up the hits, and I won't have a true idea of how many people are playing the game. I can use awstats to track it, but it'd be nicer if I could just have one place to look at for stats.

Add the wordpress stats ode to your game...?

Or better still, use Google Analytics on your wordpress blog + game. Theres an addon for it.

Google is much better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users