• 55 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:56 PM

Megatank (Beta)

1X size (small)
2X size (larger)

Posted Image
Posted Image

Megatank is a simple arena shooter/shmup hybrid built with an emphasis on speed and challenge. There are 2 rounds, each consisting of 50 enemy waves and a fierce boss battle. Enemies will become faster and more aggressive the longer you play, so see how long you can survive!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Controls:

Arrows - move
W A S D - directional fire
Space - pause
ESC - return to title/quit

Tips:

- The last enemy on each wave drops a weapon pickup (these will only change your current weapon)
- Clearing 3 waves without dying will power up your weapon one level
- The game keeps track of how quickly you clear each enemy wave, try for the best time!
- Along with their aggressiveness, all enemies' score value increases the further you get
- Completing both rounds will loop the game, allowing you to build up your score even further and keep your weapon powerups. All enemies will immediately be at maximum power, however!

Please enjoy! :) Feedback and advice for possibly improving performance would definitely be good, too. TBH, the web version simply doesn't run as well as I'd like.

Also, for anyone interested in the EXE version, I'm selling it for a few bucks from my blog.

#2 YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4012 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

This is pretty nice.
The best tactic I've found was to drive around on most left\right side of map, shooting to cover as much area as possible.
Maybe you could try making this mobile-compatible (adding touchscreen controls)?

#3 Gryzor

Gryzor

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:35 AM

Thanks. :)

I'm not sure how I'd implement touch controls, other than maybe having the tank fire *and* move towards the cursor/touch point? Might as well give it a shot, though.

#4 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:15 AM

Great graphics, and it's a lot of fun. Will have to try this again, great job.

#5 Keano

Keano

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

This is a real nice game, You really should make this for mobile or iPod and stuff

#6 Gryzor

Gryzor

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

Thank you. :)

I made an attempt at touch-only controls (or mouse only from my perspective, since I don't have a smartphone or tablet to do the necessary testing with); but it just didn't work all that well. Unless I could have say, two virtual d-pads to work with (does GM allow for that yet?), I'd just have to completely redesign it for a more simple method of input. Not out of the question entirely, I suppose; but I'd rather just work on something fresh.

After experimenting with that, I did start on a Space Harrier style game, since that seemed much more viable for single touch input; but it just ran way too slow for browsers, much less mobile devices. Oh well.

#7 nujuat

nujuat

Alex Tritt Games

• GMC Member
  • 267 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

Thank you. :)
Unless I could have say, two virtual d-pads to work with (does GM allow for that yet?)...

Not yet, but studio does. So I wouldn't be surprised if there will be an update allowing it "soon".
Oh, and you have to code it yourself (with multitouches). But it's not that hard.

#8 Criminon

Criminon

Final Element

• GMC Member
  • 174 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:20 AM

Really enjoying your artwork. I checked out your blog, and it's all fantastic. I see you're also in love with pixels. From the youtube video, the game looks great.

#9 Gryzor

Gryzor

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

Thank you. :) ... and that is definitely correct! I've actually found it hard to stay interested in my more 'normal' artistic pursuits since I've started doing this. Having some fairly generous (pro) offers come through since then has certainly helped keep it that way, though. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users